Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF revisited...introduction to my theory

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

So I have 4 remaining. Glad to know I can get them slabbed.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    HalfNipponeseHalfNipponese Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

Here is the Partial Blackless I received the other day. At some point when things calm down at the graders I'll be submitting it. Hopefully someone made it out to the card shop that sold this to me.

Visit :)MyRareCards.com :) to see my publicly curated collection. I'm currently in open beta so please PM me any suggestions. The only point of the site is to share my favorite cards and manage my collection. Optimized for mobile devices.

• Options
    JustfishinjjJustfishinjj Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

@BunchOBull said:
    So I have 4 remaining. Glad to know I can get them slabbed.

Any chance you would want to part with one of those bad boys @BunchOBull ? B)

Error and RC collector.
  • Options

@HalfNipponese said:
    Here is the Partial Blackless I received the other day. At some point when things calm down at the graders I'll be submitting it. Hopefully someone made it out to the card shop that sold this to me.

Yet again Congrats @HalfNipponese ! You didnt even know it till a few months ago, but you are one of the biggest blackless collectors now! Haha! Good stuff!

Error and RC collector.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2020 2:32PM

@Justfishinjj said:

@HalfNipponese said:

Yet again Congrats @HalfNipponese ! You didnt even know it till a few months ago, but you are one of the biggest blackless collectors now! Haha! Good stuff!

Thanks. I found a small stash of some more 1990 Topps and a bunch of 1991 Topps. There were 2 Mark Whiten hand over border error cards in the mix. Unfortunately no additional partial blackess finds.

The plan is to go through them this weekend to see if there are anything else of interest. I'm hoping to find my card binders with all my childhood favorites.

Visit :)MyRareCards.com :) to see my publicly curated collection. I'm currently in open beta so please PM me any suggestions. The only point of the site is to share my favorite cards and manage my collection. Optimized for mobile devices.

• Options

I just received the grades and I'm pretty happy with them. About half were 8 and the other half were 8.5. I though for sure there would be a couple 7's in there. I'll post the high res scans as soon as I get them back.

• Options

@HalfNipponese said:
    I just received the grades and I'm pretty happy with them. About half were 8 and the other half were 8.5. I though for sure there would be a couple 7's in there. I'll post the high res scans as soon as I get them back.

Congrats! Is the plan to try and complete the set of blackless since you are so close now? Which ones do you need? If I recall, you still need a Thomas correct? Looking forward to seeing the scans!

Cheers!

Error and RC collector.
  • Options
    bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2020 11:00AM

So PSA is grading any Thomas with any ink missing or gray as partial Blackless? Anyone know for sure?
    I don’t pc the NNOF but this would no doubt lead to tons of new submissions for partial Blackless from the 82 Blackless set.

• Options
    West22West22 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

@bswhiten said:
    So PSA is grading any Thomas with any ink missing or gray as partial Blackless? Anyone know for sure?
    I don’t pc the NNOF but this would no doubt lead to tons of new submissions for partial Blackless from the 82 Blackless set.

No, they are grading the Thomas error pictured above because it is a specific error related to the NNOF. It is the only other known version of a 1990 Topps Frank Thomas with missing black ink and many of us have been trying to get them to recognize it for years.

• Options

@Justfishinjj said:

@HalfNipponese said:

Congrats! Is the plan to try and complete the set of blackless since you are so close now? Which ones do you need? If I recall, you still need a Thomas correct? Looking forward to seeing the scans!

Cheers!

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. Today I found out I have to pay taxes on any cards I sell so that's now a consideration. If I do decide to chase the rest, I'll be going after cards from row 3. Perhaps any reinvestment in those cards will help offset my taxes. I'm not even sure if that's a possibility.

Before I do anything, I'm going to try and find a couple folders I know are somewhere in my garage. That's where I kept my favorite cards as a kid so there's a possibility I have some other gems in there. I have a 1990 Topps Griffey Jr. card that has misaligned printing plate errors. It looks like one of those old 3D posters where you had to wear blue and red glasses to see the effect. It was found in the same rack packs but I don't remember where I put it back in the day. There should also be a bunch of Japanese cards somewhere. I found some but I collected those from 1989-1993. So far I've only been able to find 1990 Takara stuff.

• Options

Has anyone worked with For the Love of the Game, Lelands or PWCC?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

JMHO ... LoTG is awesome, I won't do any business with PWCC, and have no opinion on Lelands as a buyer or seller.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    JMHO ... LoTG is awesome, I won't do any business with PWCC, and have no opinion on Lelands as a buyer or seller.

Thanks. I am leaning towards LoTG but I want to do my due diligence.

• Options

Here are the final grades. Even better than I thought.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2020 5:28PM

@HalfNipponese said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Thanks. I am leaning towards LoTG but I want to do my due diligence.

Hopefully, you'll get other opinions besides just mine. You might want to start a separate thread for this discussion though so more eyes see it (and so it doesn't clutter the NNOF thread ;) ).

• Options

The cards came in today. I'll post scans as soon as I can.

• Options

@HalfNipponese said:
    The cards came in today. I'll post scans as soon as I can.

Excellent!

Error and RC collector.
  • Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey! So I’ve been a long time follower of this thread, and while it’s been a while since I’ve peruses the pages, I was hoping someone could tell me I’d this is of any significance, or considered partial blackness? I bought a vending case about 2 years ago, and still have about 14 boxes left unsearched. Seems to me perhaps the toner was getting low lol. If I’ve missed something I apologize in advance. Thanks!

• Options
    edited August 22, 2020 12:41PM

Here are the scans. For some reason, the lip on the slabs causes the scanner to be out of focus. When I have time I'll figure it out.

Here are the Morris and McGriff cards that will be sold to set the market.

Here are the rest.

• Options

So @HalfNipponese - when do you want to let that duplicate John Morris go? :-)

Error and RC collector.
  • Options
    DonyoguyDonyoguy Posts: 30 ✭✭

@HalfNipponese said:
    Here are the scans. For some reason, the lip on the slabs causes the scanner to be out of focus. When I have time I'll figure it out.

I have this same problem. Anyone know the trick?

• Options
    LtlbvrLtlbvr Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

Amazing cards!

Drag that the Fisk didn’t get “Partial Blackless” on the flip.

Excited to see what the Morris and McGriff sell for!

• Options

@Justfishinjj said:
    So @HalfNipponese - when do you want to let that duplicate John Morris go? :-)

I can't wait to get it listed with an auction house. I know I can probably sell it on my own for a decent amount but I really want to get the cards some notoriety and help set up a established market value. I'll take the hit on the first Morris and McGriff to raise the value for the rest of our cards.

That Fisk mislabel was annoying but I'll send it back in and get it fixed. On the positive side, I'm going to see if they'll recognize the Assenmacher as a PB when I talk to customer service.

• Options

Another search through some of my cards turned up two Mike Scott AS #405 with the orange smudge in top right corner and lower middle right border. They had different black registration as Saucywombat also noticed.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2020 2:54PM

I haven't had a chance to circle back in awhile but I've decided to consign the BGS 8 McGriff and Morris to Love of the Game's fall auction. Since this will be the first traditional auction of these cards, I plan to start with a very low starting bid and just letting the market decide what the cards are worth. I'd like to start it at $1 to get a true gauge and set the market.

• Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭

@Donyoguy said:

@HalfNipponese said:

I have this same problem. Anyone know the trick?

Unfortunately, the trick is to buy a different scanner. You need a CCD scanner.

• Options

@HalfNipponese said:
    I haven't had a chance to circle back in awhile but I've decided to consign the BGS 8 McGriff and Morris to For the Love of the Game's fall auction. Since this will be the first traditional auction of these cards, I plan to start with a very low starting bid and just letting the market decide what the cards are worth. I'd like to start it at $1 to get a true gauge and set the market.

Do you have an exact date set yet when the auction will be and how long the auction will go? Didn't know if it was the pretty standard week format. Thanks for the info!

Error and RC collector.
  • Options

@Justfishinjj said:

Do you have an exact date set yet when the auction will be and how long the auction will go? Didn't know if it was the pretty standard week format. Thanks for the info!

I don't have the exact dates yet but LOTG indicated that the auction will go up around the beginning of November and will close the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It'll be an extended auction format so I want to make the card accessible to everyone so they'll be able to bid on the final day. I've never sold anything through an auction house before so this is all new to me.

Brian-Awesome cards. Once I'm back into the good graces of my wife, I hope to be able to go after more partial blackless cards. I picked up a 85 Topps Tiffany Clemens and 84 Fleer Update Clemens so I have to wait a bit before I buy anything else.

• Options

Just a quick update on the auction cards. They have been received by LOTG and will be in the fall auction. I'm not sure when bidding goes live but I let them know I'm good with a $1 starting bid and no reserve. Once I know when the auction goes live, I'll update the thread with a link.

• Options

I just checked my messages on Youtube and it looks like Wave of Cards will be opening one of Joe's packs.

• Options

@HalfNipponese said:
    I just checked my messages on Youtube and it looks like Wave of Cards will be opening one of Joe's packs.

Thanks for the mention! Yes, I have acquired two of the remaining packs and we will be opening one in an upcoming video. Stay tuned!

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

@HalfNipponese said:

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. Today I found out I have to pay taxes on any cards I sell so that's now a consideration. If I do decide to chase the rest, I'll be going after cards from row 3. Perhaps any reinvestment in those cards will help offset my taxes. I'm not even sure if that's a possibility.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here about taxes.

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options

@royalbrett said:

@HalfNipponese said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here about taxes.

I just learned that I'll have to pay federal and state income tax on the final sale price of the two cards. That kind of surprised me that I have to pay the full capital gains tax for something I already own.

• Options

It's because you went through an auction house who I would assume would issue you a 1099 misc form at the end of the fiscal year. If you were selling these Paypal or Ebay I believe you would not be issued a 1099 until you had made over $20,000 of sales.

• Options

@West22 said:
    It's because you went through an auction house who I would assume would issue you a 1099 misc form at the end of the fiscal year. If you were selling these Paypal or Ebay I believe you would not be issued a 1099 until you had made over $20,000 of sales.

In the end it's for the good of the cards. Hopefully it'll all be worth it in the end. My main goal is just to have some recognized sales to reference for future values.

• Options

Let’s get Wave of Cards some subscribers so he and Stu (Jack of All Trades) can livestream opening a Partial Blackless pack. He shows the two he bought at the end of this video.

If Stu does a documentary on the Partial Blackess card, I want to get credit for the idea first. 😁

https://youtu.be/QZC3wZRqhiY

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@West22 said:
    If you were selling these Paypal or Ebay I believe you would not be issued a 1099 until you had made over $20,000 of sales.

This depends on what state you live in. Mass (and I think maybe Vermont) changed their laws. Once you have $600 in PayPal payments, you get a 1099.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

out of curiosity, what do the partial blackless Thomas cards sell for? I really havent seen a sales history for them.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    out of curiosity, what do the partial blackless Thomas cards sell for? I really havent seen a sales history for them.

I believe a PSA 8 goes for round $6000 to $7000 now.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfNipponese said:

@craig44 said:

I believe a PSA 8 goes for round $6000 to $7000 now.

I was more specifically inquiring about the partial blackless?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

There we go . . .that looks better!!

• Options

Another Partial Blackless Darrin Jackson has been discovered on a live break.

https://www.facebook.com/jakeinge/videos/10157730769741139/

• Options

I am the one that opened the pack this past weekend. I am pleading with anyone who has the Darrin Jackson to tell me if it has a crease coming up around the I in DARRIN and looping under the jersey button. Brian Gerrens and I have compared and both of our Jacksons have the IDENTICAL crease. I would have to think any authentic blackless Jackson is going to have this crease. I would also think that the crease is probably correlated to the ink issue in some way.

• Options

@jakeinge said:
    I am the one that opened the pack this past weekend. I am pleading with anyone who has the Darrin Jackson to tell me if it has a crease coming up around the I in DARRIN and looping under the jersey button. Brian Gerrens and I have compared and both of our Jacksons have the IDENTICAL crease. I would have to think any authentic blackless Jackson is going to have this crease. I would also think that the crease is probably correlated to the ink issue in some way.

If I’m not mistaken, there are only 5 or 6 known to have surfaced. I’ll check mine later today.

• Options

@jakeinge said:

Congrats on the pull of the Darrin Jackson. That is a very interesting similarity to find. However, any physical indentation on the card stock itself has nothing to do with the causation of the error. It was probably a situation where sheets stacked on top of each other were dropped or dinged in a similar location. Still very cool that you guys found cards from two different sheets that were likely right on top of each other at the factory!

• Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

I'd love to see clear pics of the Jackson (blackless area and crease). That video was difficult to watch, way to shaky to pick up anything.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options

Here is mine.

In the first pack that I opened from Joe there was a Kyle Abbott card that was all beat up. Kyle is on the bottom row of the sheet. I wonder if the print defect was recognized and the sheets pulled off to the side. Maybe moved a few times until someone said forget it - just put them in the packs. I have zero knowledge of how things worked at Topps - just a thought.

• Options

I received an email from Joe (RookieWax) today. He, no doubt, has more experience opening partial blackless packs than anyone. He too thought that the sheets may have been set aside due to the print defect. He reminded me that multiple times he found thin cardboard strips in blackless packs immediately after the orange cards. Possibly, to separate the bad sheets from good? The crease on the Jackson a result of lifting the sheet to insert the marker?

Then, at some point the entire stack - good sheets and bad along with the separation strips get loaded into the cutter by mistake and eventually into packs.

Thoughts?

• Options
    edited October 8, 2020 5:35PM

@Ltlbvr said:
    I received an email from Joe (RookieWax) today. He, no doubt, has more experience opening partial blackless packs than anyone. He too thought that the sheets may have been set aside due to the print defect. He reminded me that multiple times he found thin cardboard strips in blackless packs immediately after the orange cards. Possibly, to separate the bad sheets from good? The crease on the Jackson a result of lifting the sheet to insert the marker?

Then, at some point the entire stack - good sheets and bad along with the separation strips get loaded into the cutter by mistake and eventually into packs.

Thoughts?

Definitely a possibility, perhaps even likely. According to a Topps employee, quality control would check every thousand sheets. But if they had Creed Bratton from “The Office” working I can definitely see these slipping through!

As for the Jackson, I find cards with wrinkles fresh from 1990 Topps packs all the time. It’s likely a stack of orange sheets got dinged all in the same place resulting in similar wrinkles on those Jackson cards. Doesn’t imply anything about causation of the error though. That happened at the plate making stage.