Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

THE ~ Never Ending ~ Indian Head Cent ~ Thread!

124»

Comments

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven, wonderful early proof Steve. You always show the best!

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2024 7:05AM

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Any of us “older” collectors remember Jefferson Airplane. This one reminds me of being at one of their shows. Although the memory is cloudy!

You mean like this show? Of course this was way more than just a mere "show"...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_gg6JNLtXI
    I can't even begin to tell you guys how super nice that YouTube and other placers are like a real life time machine...we can relive most any era we want with the point and click of a mouse, something like this wasn't even dreamed of 20 years ago. Of course if I could time travel and go to only one concert it'd be this one!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nirrjii5cc
    As the late Joe Diffie would say, they got cute girls that make them way bigger and better than the Beatles!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Blazing luster on this double stickered GEM

The marks across the cheek almost resemble a war paint look.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven, off the charts Steve.

• Options

I posted these the "new coins" thread, but Indian Head it is!

Unslabbed. No idea if I should send it off for grading. I would like to preserve the red long term though.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops, I goofed early this morning in my post slightly above when I said that was my next-to-last upgrade since mid-November. There are actually two more, and here’s one of them:

There are 53 in this grade (34 by PCGS and 19 by NGC), but only 3 have a CAC sticker! The Snow PDS Score = 15 (5,5,5).

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Ultra Rarity. I never thought I would own one of these. In the PCGS pop, there’s one 62BN, then next is this XF45. The die gouge on the reverse looks like a failed lab experiment that was kept anyway for posterity. It runs over & under the shield bars & also over & under through the leaves before ending at 3:00 near the rim. Date is also repunched. Tips are full & surfaces not overly marked up.

Very cool and a great looking example! 👍

Which DDO version is this one? Notice the recut U in UNITED and more... Reposting here as I didn't see a new IHC thread was started since early last year:

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@asheland said:

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Ultra Rarity. I never thought I would own one of these. In the PCGS pop, there’s one 62BN, then next is this XF45. The die gouge on the reverse looks like a failed lab experiment that was kept anyway for posterity. It runs over & under the shield bars & also over & under through the leaves before ending at 3:00 near the rim. Date is also repunched. Tips are full & surfaces not overly marked up.

Very cool and a great looking example! 👍

Which DDO version is this one? Notice the recut U in UNITED and more... Reposting here as I didn't see a new IHC thread was started since early last year:

• Tim

I am not sure on that variety unfortunately, there’s got to be someone on here that’s more knowledgeable with the varieties.

• Options

@winesteven said:
    Here’s the last of my upgrades since mid-November.

There are 69 in this grade (50 by PCGS and 19 by NGC). CAC Pop only 7. Snow PDS Score = 14 (4,5,5).

Steve

Spectacular!

• Options

Hey, @AndyK , that’s a gorgeous coin! AND it merits an Eagle Eye Photo Seal!!!!

Regardless of grade, I see coins as “works of art”, and each coin, often 100 years old or so, should be appreciated. Each collector rightfully should be very proud of the coins they own, and feel pleasure from their coins, regardless of their budget!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    AndyKAndyK Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    Hey, @AndyK , that’s a gorgeous coin! AND it merits an Eagle Eye Photo Seal!!!!

Regardless of grade, I see coins as “works of art”, and each coin, often 100 years old or so, should be appreciated. Each collector rightfully should be very proud of the coins they own, and feel pleasure from their coins, regardless of their budget!

Steve

I completely agree with @winesteven. I feel both proud and blessed that I'm able to own such a cool piece of history. The coin is amazing and has everything I was ever hoping for in my key date piece. High grade, amazing eye appeal, a 90% red coin in a RB holder, an old green holder, and it's a far more affordable proof.
    I just had to poke a little fun as I do consider your Indian collection to be the "gold standard". I'm always smitten at the beautiful coins in your collection (and several others here). Since I'm very competitive by nature, I simply choose for your collection to be the yardstick I hope to measure up to. Heck, if I'm going to dream, dream big!

• Options

@AndyK , your words are so VERY kind.

Thank you! <3

Steve

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous
    @asheland

I don’t believe there’s a designated variety for that coin (the 1868). Could it be a “discovery”?
    Ken

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options

Yet another NEWP:

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options
    edited March 26, 2024 7:23PM

Hey, have you taken a look at the new #1 Greatest IHC set of all time? Alan L. Epstein has put together a mind-blowing set - higher scoring than Stewart Blay’s famous set, even higher scoring than the Jasper Mantooth set!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-cents/indian-cents-major-sets/indian-cents-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1859-1909/alltimeset/359908

I read that back in the early 1990’s, Dr. Epstein had put together the best quality IHC set known at that time (without the help of today’s computers, internet, and Registries, admittedly 30 years ago we didn’t know everything). He sold his set to Rick Snow around 1995, but kept for himself the highest graded Indian Head cent of ALL TIME graded by PCGS - the 1899 IHC graded MS68RD. While the PCGS pop reports show a pop of two of those, PCGS has stated that they strongly believe it’s a dupe of the same coin. No other IHC of ANY date has ever been graded that high by PCGS! Alan then sold that coin in auction in the early 2000’s.

At some point he apparently started from scratch, and has put together his amazing set that we see today! By the way, in this set his 1899 is graded MS67+RD.

Kudos to Alan L. Epstein! I wish him congratulations and the greatest joy in the world with this set!

Steve

• Options

Thanks for the heads-up; somehow I missed that. Must have been in the last few days. I’ll be sure to check it out. He was/is one of the best ever!

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

Referring all IHC collectors to the link in winesteven’s post above. Be sure to wipe off the drool when you’re finished looking at it!

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Won this one today in the SB auction. A real beauty & a pop 1/0 besides:

Good price too - winner winner! (chicken dinner?)

VERY nice👌

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Great coins!

• Options
    edited April 24, 2024 10:58PM

Here’s my newp that upgrades my former 65+RD. This new one - PCGS Pop = 11, with only 6 finer:

Steve

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

__

LCoopie = Les

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file