Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

THE ~ Never Ending ~ Indian Head Cent ~ Thread!

Comments

• Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 128 ✭✭✭✭

I was bidding on that 1897 1 in Neck!! Glad to see it in a great collection! It got way to rich for my blood! I regret selling this one all the time!! Old PCGS holder, MS63RB. Probably would upgrade some today.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t know enough just yet but it certainly looks solid for the grade @renomedphys

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    Here's a coin I like so much, I almost don't care if I ever cross it. It's a Die 1 1877 that's not only 100% fully struck and PL, but it lacks any of the reverse die clashing above the O that maybe every other mint state 1877 has. It is likely the earliest die state 1877 ever seen! It's for sure a mint state coin, as indicated by the shallow N reverse. Graded ATS as MS65RB, I think it has claims to 66, and is at least 90, maybe 95% red in-hand. I just shot these and even included a little bit of the edge, which looks like this all the way around from what I can see.

When I first saw this coin, I immediately tried to buy it from Rick Snow, who had just acquired it. He regretted to inform me that it had already been sold. Well, time sometimes takes care of these things for you, because 5 years later he told me he was getting it back. I don't think he even had it on his website for an hour before I locked it up.

Splendid coin, and great story! 👍

• Options

@redraider said:
    A few more of mine....These two Shallow N reverses are tough!!

This one is interesting.....Struck through a struck fragment. Part of the obverse detail is seen on the reverse, mirrored. Never seen another one like it.

Looking at the 1871 and the 1872 below it, I love how drastically different the dates look! It’s such a cool series!

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    Here's a coin I like so much, I almost don't care if I ever cross it. It's a Die 1 1877 that's not only 100% fully struck and PL, but it lacks any of the reverse die clashing above the O that maybe every other mint state 1877 has. It is likely the earliest die state 1877 ever seen! It's for sure a mint state coin, as indicated by the shallow N reverse. Graded ATS as MS65RB, I think it has claims to 66, and is at least 90, maybe 95% red in-hand. I just shot these and even included a little bit of the edge, which looks like this all the way around from what I can see.

Matt - great to finally see this one! Awesome, unique coin!

Ken

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options

I like that toning, it looks cool! 👍

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:

When I first saw this coin, I immediately tried to buy it from Rick Snow, who had just acquired it. He regretted to inform me that it had already been sold. Well, time sometimes takes care of these things for you, because 5 years later he told me he was getting it back. I don't think he even had it on his website for an hour before I locked it up.

Your 1877 IHC is indeed very well struck. Today it would be considered a First Strike coin. But strike is a very minor consideration in grading standards........which I have a problem with. But the coin cannot be RD with the splotchy toning overlying the RD surfaces. From the pictures I would not question the 65 grade, but a higher grade would seem possible if you would pursue it. Eye quality is OK, but not great. Nice specimen coin but not registry quality.

OINK

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@Raybo said:
    One heck of an MS63.
    Is your image accurate?

First images are my iPhone, the zoomed shots are Rick Snow’s, and below is the TrueView.

This coin has been perplexing. I showed it to Rick in person, and he said “that’s a 64 ALL DAY, and I’d sticker it as a 64”. I sent it to PCGS for a regrade and it came back a 63 again. I had Rick sticker it and then sent it to CAC. It failed. I’m done messing around with it now and will stick to silver :)

63 is BS for this coin. PCGS should give you a free regrade for this coin unless they will qualify their undergrade. I cannot see any features that would downgrade the coin to a 63. Looks from the pics to be 65 minimum. I have similar coins that I just let rest for a few years before re-submittal.

OINK

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Your 1877 IHC is indeed very well struck. Today it would be considered a First Strike coin. But strike is a very minor consideration in grading standards........which I have a problem with. But the coin cannot be RD with the splotchy toning overlying the RD surfaces. From the pictures I would not question the 65 grade, but a higher grade would seem possible if you would pursue it. Eye quality is OK, but not great. Nice specimen coin but not registry quality.

OINK

Thanks, yeah but I never said it was RD. Also… hard coin to photograph. Surfaces are slightly mirrored and highly reflective under the lights… like a proof. To be sure, in-hand the coin has quite an amazing and beautiful look. As for registry quality, it will fit just fine with what I’m doing. 😎

• Options

A bit of “history” made with this CACG. It is the first one graded that was accorded the EEPS. Coolness & a nice coin besides.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

@rnkmyer1 said:
    A bit of “history” made with this CACG. It is the first one graded that was accorded the EEPS. Coolness & a nice coin besides.

That is very cool actually. 👍

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2023 7:26PM

@rnkmyer1 said:

For 1893, yes, but for a CACG Indian Cent in general, Nope! This one shown BELOW was upgraded by CACG on a cross from PCGS three months ago, from MS66RB to MS66+RB. Immediately sent to Rick after I received it back, and he stickered it!

While the PCGS Pop in 66RB is eight, their pop in 66+RB is only 1. The one below from CACG is the ONLY one graded 66+RB from CACG. NGC has 6 in 66RB but none in 66+RB. While NGC has one graded 67RB, that coin does not merit a CAC sticker. No CACG or PCGS are graded 67RB. Of the 15 graded by PCGS or NGC as 66RB or 66+RB, only two have a CAC sticker.

This coin is now available for sale by Rick Snow at indiancent.com. Rick says it’s 95% Red.

Steve

In my opinion the CACG Image Secure does not do justice to the coin. It’s “flat and washed out”.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

Steve -
    I saw your coin & it’s a beauty. As far as the 1893, I’ll quote Rick directly - “the first CACG coin given the Photo Seal”. That was my point & I’ll stick with that.
    Ken

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

@winesteven: I just sent you Rick’s writeup. Please note the above quote word for word.
    Thanks,
    Ken

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options
    edited December 11, 2023 1:04AM

Ken - If he did Photo Seal yours before around mid-September, then I do stand corrected! Being you just posted it, it gave me the impression it was photo sealed more recently, but perhaps indeed yours was the first. I concede if that’s the case.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

Ken - Your coins always amaze me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Tom Bender - I’m proud to own his former top notch beauty!

Plus, I love this date!

Nice coin and I agree on the date!

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Swapping. I sold a 65+ RD Plain 5 for the chance to buy the coin below. Graded 66RB, I think it has a chance to go RD someday. Bright, colorful, lustrous piece!

I saw this coin on Ricks site when first listed. Wow coin for sure!

• Options

This thread delivers!

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2023 1:04PM

This one got Details for altered surfaces......I've had it forever and knew that maybe it would get the details grade but was not planning on selling so had it slabbed anyway. When I get better lights I'll retake this as there is quite a bit of blue toning that is beautiful.

My estimate is MS64

• Options

@rnkmyer1 said:
    New Discovery

This S-75 was previously unknown. Very cool; the ‘scratches” are actually raised die lines.

Cool find and excellent looking example! 👍

• Options

FUN memories
    I couldn’t make the show this year due to illness, but it gave me time to dig up some past FUN show buys. I’ll start with this one from over 10 years ago.

It’s since been sold & I think reslabbed a couple of times. Stunning eye appeal!

Copperindian

Copperindian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file