Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

THE ~ Never Ending ~ Indian Head Cent ~ Thread!

Comments

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one below is an all time fave. It’s a 3* variety that’s not only seldom seen but has an awesome look with great color:

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@redraider said:

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Last one from past FUN’s: The seller had a RD one @ over 2x the price but acknowledged I made a good choice with this one between the two. Really cool & tough 4* variety.

That 1880 S-1 is super nice!

I posted this one earlier in the thread....it is a very early dies state MS65RB, but it is full red, unquestioned.
    Here are Rick Snows pics of the coin.

Here is my MS65BN - should be Red/Brown

That’s awesome!

• Options
    edited January 9, 2024 1:38PM

@rnkmyer1 great coins! 👍

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    @rnkmyer1 great coins! 👍

What he said.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 128 ✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:

I think this used to be in an NGC 66RB Holder....did it cross at MS66RB? its a gorgeous coin!

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@redraider said:

@Ronyahski said:

I think this used to be in an NGC 66RB Holder....did it cross at MS66RB? its a gorgeous coin!

I just checked the cert it is 66RB.

• Options

@redraider - a beauty! Congrats!

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 128 ✭✭✭✭

1864 Copper Nickel - thin planchet with cool concentric lathe lines.

Often seen on Bronze planchets, this pattern coin exhibits the lathe lines seen on S-13 examples. Maybe unique?

• Options

@bstat1020 said:

Very nice! It looks a lot like my example. Nice clean surfaces. I think your is about one grade higher though… VF 30?

Mine is a 25:

• Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭

@asheland said:

@bstat1020 said:

Very nice! It looks a lot like my example. Nice clean surfaces. I think your is about one grade higher though… VF 30?

Mine is a 25:

Thanks asheland! PCGS VF35!

• Options

@bstat1020 said:

@asheland said:

@bstat1020 said:

Mine is a 25:

Thanks asheland! PCGS VF35!

That’s a great coin! When I saw mine, I just had to have it!

• Options

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Very slight weakness in upper right obv @ 2:00, but with exceptional eye appeal that I find impossible to resist!

I like that one!

• Options

Ultra Rarity. I never thought I would own one of these. In the PCGS pop, there’s one 62BN, then next is this XF45. The die gouge on the reverse looks like a failed lab experiment that was kept anyway for posterity. It runs over & under the shield bars & also over & under through the leaves before ending at 3:00 near the rim. Date is also repunched. Tips are full & surfaces not overly marked up.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Ultra Rarity. I never thought I would own one of these. In the PCGS pop, there’s one 62BN, then next is this XF45. The die gouge on the reverse looks like a failed lab experiment that was kept anyway for posterity. It runs over & under the shield bars & also over & under through the leaves before ending at 3:00 near the rim. Date is also repunched. Tips are full & surfaces not overly marked up.

Very cool and a great looking example! 👍

• Options

Love the color & detail on this one:

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

Common & Uncommon - this 1864 NoL (Bronze) IHC

The “common” is the issue itself - it’s pretty much available in all grades & color designations.

The “uncommon” though? This one year type is plagued by clashing, weak tips, incomplete diamonds & strike thrus. This coin has none of those. There are die lines behind the ear; these are very rarely seen. Just as rare is the reworked “ES” in STATES.

Add to all this is the exceptional eye appeal of this 65RB example.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

One sided Proof

The obv is the PR side from the PR3 die. The rev is MS, however, making this piece a MS coin. Very rare, but not unique.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

@rnkmyer1 said:
    One sided Proof

The obv is the PR side from the PR3 die. The rev is MS, however, making this piece a MS coin. Very rare, but not unique.

That’s really cool!
    Is that in the Snow book?

• Options

Yes - he discusses it on the 1876 page. It is cool!

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

@asheland: I found Rick’s description - looks like 7 yrs or so ago & before his PDS system.
    “Fully struck & a beautiful example with prooflike fields on the obverse & die striations on the reverse. This is listed as a one-sided proof in my book. Very rare”.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    One sided Proof

I think that the obverse has too many dings in front of Liberty's face to believe that it is a proof obverse. It may be, but it looks like it was circulated before it was saved. After all, why would anyone in 1876 save this coin as a proof if they found it in circulation. And the planchets would not have been polished before the strike if it was intended to be a coin for circulation. Not sure if PCGS would authenticate this coin as a proof obverse even though there may be evidence it was struck with used proof dies. You have a sharp eye to make this determination, and you may be right. But it was never struck to be a proof coin and I do not think it will ever be recognized as a variety.

OINK

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase : good points. But PCGS would never authenticate as such as the reverse is clearly MS. I think that’s what would make the determination. I’m not aware of a coin graded both PR & MS & I admit I’m deferring to the boss on this one.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

1876 IHC variety fact: there’s only 1 MS variety for this date; the least in the entire 51 year series with the exception of the 1909-S (which has none).

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

What’s “wrong” with this coin:

1867 IHC’s are exceptionally tough in GEM+ RD. The PCGS pop shows only 4 graded higher than this piece. Yet, very few who have seen it like it nearly as much as I do, if it all. I can’t figure out why & would welcome opinions from our members. No one who has reservations about it doubt the full RD color. The rev clashing has been mentioned as unusual, but not detrimental. Tips & diamonds are full. Marks seem consistent for the assigned grade.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2024 1:45PM

@rnkmyer1 said:
    What’s “wrong” with this coin:

I am surprised it did not grade .91 Questionable Color. To me it appears to have been dipped and the RD color just does not look as realistic as needs to be for a coin minted in 1867. I have only submitted one IHC (a 1904) that graded RD. Most of the others all graded .91

OINK

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase: thanks for your input. It surprised me, so I got the coin out & examined it. I see no evidence of dipping; the color is a nice golden RD & I think the coin is natural. I will say most of the 67’s I’ve seen have a deeper shade of RD, so that may make this one a little unusual in that respect.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

@renomedphys said:
    My only RED proof. Ex. Brian Wagner

W O W !
    That is crazy nice!

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the double post, but my PL/EDS 1877 crossed to PCGS equivalently at MS65RB right after Long Beach. Here’s my notes:

MS65RB, Die 1, Fully Proof-like, First Strike, Die Stage A/A, PS. Perhaps the most interesting 1877 cent there is. I waited at least five years to buy this coin and then I waited another 8 months to get it crossed equivalently from NGC. It is the ONLY mint-state 1877 seen to date WITHOUT the reverse die clash above the O in ONE that essentially defines the reverse of both die pairings of this issue. Fully brilliant and at least ninety percent red. Actually looks full red under the light. Thanks Rick Snow for this wonderful unicorn of a coin.

I will say that the TV isn’t bad, but does wash out a lot of the brilliance of this coin in-hand. I will also say that this coin is quite hard to photograph, and the best I could do to capture the light coming off this specimen wasn’t much better. Anyway, there you have it. Another successful crossover, and still batting a thousand. Cheers!

• Options

Hey Matt - has to be one of the most awesome IHC’s I’ve ever seen! Unique as well - great piece!
    Ken

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

@renomedphys said:
    Sorry for the double post, but my PL/EDS 1877 crossed to PCGS equivalently at MS65RB right after Long Beach. Here’s my notes:

MS65RB, Die 1, Fully Proof-like, First Strike, Die Stage A/A, PS. Perhaps the most interesting 1877 cent there is. I waited at least five years to buy this coin and then I waited another 8 months to get it crossed equivalently from NGC. It is the ONLY mint-state 1877 seen to date WITHOUT the reverse die clash above the O in ONE that essentially defines the reverse of both die pairings of this issue. Fully brilliant and at least ninety percent red. Actually looks full red under the light. Thanks Rick Snow for this wonderful unicorn of a coin.

I will say that the TV isn’t bad, but does wash out a lot of the brilliance of this coin in-hand. I will also say that this coin is quite hard to photograph, and the best I could do to capture the light coming off this specimen wasn’t much better. Anyway, there you have it. Another successful crossover, and still batting a thousand. Cheers!

That is fantastic!

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2024 1:38AM

Since November, I’ve picked up a few new Indians. I’m tight on time, so I’ll show just one at a time, spread over the next week or so, in Date order. All are upgrades to my IHC set, other than this one, which was bought for my Small Cent Proof Type Set.

It’s a shame that neither of these two dimensional photos can capture the lustrous and deep field mirrors one sees with the coin in hand.

CAC Pop = 4, and the Snow PDS Score = 14 (5,4,5).

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file