Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2023 6:03AM

I enjoy the conference banter… Penn State joined the Big 10 in 1990. Football didn’t start until 1993 probably due to existing independent game contracts playing themselves out, but the other sports started almost immediately. SC and Ark joined in 1991. Did the SEC react to B1G or vice versa? ;)

If the B1G worships the SEC so much, I wish they would have followed the SECs lead and allowed the playoff to start this year - this lull between conference championships and the real bowl games is rough. I watch my share of bowl games, but having a few meaningful playoff games a week instead of 2 6-6 teams squaring off? Sign me up NOW! :)

Jim

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said: Is that why they copy everything the SEC does.

What are we, teenagers now?? :p I think everyone should get ready for the next big snowfall we have up where I live, then you can all bundle up in your snowsuits and go out in the snow and fight it out. That way nobody should get hurt and when your each on the ground you can make some big-headed snow angels.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    @Bullsitter said: Is that why they copy everything the SEC does.

What are we, teenagers now?? :p I think everyone should get ready for the next big snowfall we have up where I live, then you can all bundle up in your snowsuits and go out in the snow and fight it out. That way nobody should get hurt and when your each on the ground you can make some big-headed snow angels.

Sounds like you have experience.... :p

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1st round bout will be @Bullsitter vs. @coolstanley.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Bullsitter said:

I'm hearing that FSU will end up joining the BIG10....avoiding the SEC again.

From where? FSU isn't an AAU school and the B1G doesn't take non-AAU schools. FSU isn't in the same stratosphere academically as the other B1G schools, something that DOES matter to the league.

Last time the B1G looked too add a Florida school it was Miami.

I wonder if the Big 10 changed that with the admission of Oregon!? They don't seem to be the same academic caliber as UCLA, U$C or U-dub!?

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Las Vegas bowl

Northwestern 14

Utah 7

As I have mentioned before I work at Allegiant Stadium so I was there. Northwestern's defense looked like an SEC team going against a high school team. It was pointed out to me that Utah lost a ton of talent to the portal and the NFL draft prep process but geez the U offense couldn't move the ball.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭

Both those offenses looked like an Iowa practice. The weird part was Utah let their QB play even though hes in the transfer portal. I guess one of the court rulings changed the rule about that, but why let someone play that doesnt want to be there.

In other Bowl news. South Alabama beat Eastern Michigan 59-10 and while South Alabama was watching the band play their song an Eastern Michigan player decided to run across the field and sucker punch one of them in the back of the head.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@Tabe said:

@Bullsitter said:

From where? FSU isn't an AAU school and the B1G doesn't take non-AAU schools. FSU isn't in the same stratosphere academically as the other B1G schools, something that DOES matter to the league.

I heard it on the Paul Finebaum Show. He had a guest on that was talking possible landing spots for FSU.
    You can also google FSU to the BIG10.
    So, the BIG10 is in "another stratosphere academically" than others.
    Is that why they copy everything the SEC does?

In 1992 the SEC adds 2 teams, splits into 2 divisions and adds a conference championship game.
    In 2010 the BIG adds 1 team and does the same, smart move by them.

In 2020, the Covid year, the BIG suspends football for the year UNTIL they find out the SEC is playing a 10-game season with a conference championship game. On October 24 the BIG scrambles to get a 7-game season and championship game. They did well and OSU made the National Championship game..... B)

In 2022 the SEC added Texas and Oklahoma.
    In 2023 BIG added USC and UCLA.

In 2023 Michigan got caught cheating, whoops, not so smart.......DOES that matter to the league?

That's a lot of words to....... say nothing relevant to the point you replied to.

• Options

@larryallen73 said:

@Tabe said:

@Bullsitter said:

I wonder if the Big 10 changed that with the admission of Oregon!? They don't seem to be the same academic caliber as UCLA, U$C or U-dub!?

Oregon is in the AAU. Might not be UCLA but still miles ahead of FSU.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Nebraska is the only B1G - current or confirmed future - that’s not in the AAU. They were at the time they joined, but not anymore.

Jim

• Options
    edited December 24, 2023 10:37PM

@Tabe said:

@larryallen73 said:

@Tabe said:

@Bullsitter said:

Oregon is in the AAU. Might not be UCLA but still miles ahead of FSU.

ASU, Arizona, Colorado, Cal, Stanford are all in it. All schools they had a chance take and werent willing to give media shares too. Oregon got nothing for being in it and doesnt have a full media share for over 5 years.

They arent miles ahead of FSU. All the power schools are basically the same academically. They are all very good at some things and not good at others. The size of the school plays a role but the AAU is not playing a role in conference decisions, future earnings potential with the next media deal along with what the schools will vote for is. Getting a FL team would without question be desirable. They arent chasing GW, Tuffs, BU, Rice etc because the AAU is most important

Oregons Nike connection and his desire to get them into the B!G and their willingness to take a half media share with no other real options for a power conference is what did it

Targeting Arizona, ASU or both would have actually been smart. Its a big recruiting state but they didnt

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Bullsitter said:

@Tabe said:

@Bullsitter said:

I heard it on the Paul Finebaum Show. He had a guest on that was talking possible landing spots for FSU.
    You can also google FSU to the BIG10.
    So, the BIG10 is in "another stratosphere academically" than others.
    Is that why they copy everything the SEC does?

In 1992 the SEC adds 2 teams, splits into 2 divisions and adds a conference championship game.
    In 2010 the BIG adds 1 team and does the same, smart move by them.

In 2020, the Covid year, the BIG suspends football for the year UNTIL they find out the SEC is playing a 10-game season with a conference championship game. On October 24 the BIG scrambles to get a 7-game season and championship game. They did well and OSU made the National Championship game..... B)

In 2022 the SEC added Texas and Oklahoma.
    In 2023 BIG added USC and UCLA.

In 2023 Michigan got caught cheating, whoops, not so smart.......DOES that matter to the league?

That's a lot of words to....... say nothing relevant to the point you replied to.

But I answered your question, you haven't answered mine.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

Sorry, didn't see your question.

I would say, yes, the league cares about Michigan's alleged misdeeds. And they are being investigated.

• Options
    edited December 25, 2023 9:49PM

@Tabe said:

@Bullsitter said:

Sorry, didn't see your question.

I would say, yes, the league cares about Michigan's alleged misdeeds. And they are being investigated.

The B!G has already issued their punishments as an attempt to get lower NCAA punishments or set up Harbaugh to take the fall for any NCAA punishments if institutional control was part of it. Their interest (which it should be) is protecting Michigan and setting up a fall guy if necessary. The B!G is far more concerned about not getting penalties on their best team than a coach

The NCAA and to some extent the FBI are the ones investigating Michigan

• Options

I'm watching 9 of the 12.... B)

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

BIG 10 gets another bowl victory.

Detroit bowl

Minnesota - 30
    Bowling Green - 24

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Bragging about barely beating Bowling Green is just funny

• Options

Texas bowl

Oklahoma State defeats SEC power Texas A@M 31 - 23

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

Detroit bowl

Minnesota - 30
    Bowling Green - 24

Congrats to Minnesota, they won their bowl game and still finished 6-7.
    How does a 5-7 team get a bowl?

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Texas bowl

Congrats to Okie State, but A&M that finished 7-6 is hardly a SEC Power.
    To me, there are just 2 SEC Power teams this year, Georgia and the other one.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2023 7:01AM

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

Detroit bowl

Minnesota - 30
    Bowling Green - 24

43 bowl games this year, that's how

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    @Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

Detroit bowl

Minnesota - 30
    Bowling Green - 24

43 bowl games this year, that's how

Thanks, good luck against FSU.

• Options

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Texas bowl

O/U was 54.5. Uncanny how they put the number right on. Course OS missed the FG at the end to ensure the under.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@coolstanley said:
    Texas bowl

Played the last 17 minutes without a score.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

The Texas A&M team that played yesterday was their backups and freshman.

They had 3 players declare for the draft. They had only 3 WRs on the roster. They only had 55 scholarship players which is so low its getting close to the game would be canceled territory.

Aside from the 3 players that went to the draft their QB transferred to UNC, their elite LT transferred to Alabama, their elite WR is in the portal and didnt play, and the Number 1 rated player in the portal elite 5 star almost perfect rating DL Nolan transferred to Ole Miss.

They win that game if they had all their players. The fact that game was even close is a win for A&M

We really need to start letting transfers play in the games if their new school wants them to and its not a playoff game. Its getting old seeing all these games with teams without QBs and missing massive elements

• Options

Miami Hurricanes..... :p .....thank you Rutgers.

• Options

Miami another good example. QB and one of their better WRs both transferred. Starting guard, starting center, both starting safeties, starting DT all opted out.

Oklahoma will be interesting. QB transferred but they have a stud freshman who will get a chance tonight. Problem is their tackle and center both opted out, 3 running backs transferred, a starting guard is transferring and their offensive coordinator has left to be the new Mississippi State head coach. Arnold is certainly being thrown into the deep end against Arizona in this one.

• Options

NC/Kansas State. Over/Under 47.5. final score 47. Oh how do they do it. ;). Whomever sets these lines, with their "skill" hope they play the lottery. Last night o/u 54.5, final score 54 OS/Texas AM.

• Options

Kanasas State having to go over 200 yards and score 3 TDs on the second to last drive was wild. Very weak penalty call on the passing TD that got called back

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Kanasas State having to go over 200 yards and score 3 TDs on the second to last drive was wild. Very weak penalty call on the passing TD that got called back

Ah yes the convenient holding call.

• Options

Forgot which game yesterday, but one team was penalized for a total of 210 yards. Can't ever recall one team penalized so much.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Forgot which game yesterday, but one team was penalized for a total of 210 yards. Can't ever recall one team penalized so much.

Kansas against UNLV. They ended up winning but had 18 penalties for 216 yards. UNLV had 9 for 99. That crew was very flag happy

• Options

BIG TEN gets another bowl win

Yankee stadium pinstripe bowl

Rutgers 31 Miami Hurricanes 24

BIG TEN has won this bowl 7 straight years.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Miami had their starting QB transfer, both of their starting safeties opt out, their DT, their Center and left guard opt out, and a RB transfer. They were without 7 starters.

Outside of the playoff teams, the more talented a team is the more they have been and will be missing in these bowl games

Oklahoma had to start their freshman QB with a brand new Oline with their Center and Tackle opting out and their guard transferring.

• Options

Wild 4th quarter, Clempson beats Kentucky.

• Options

I feel bad for Shipley who looks like he had a serious leg injury. Theres never a good time to get hurt, but its an extra kick to the groin when it happens with only a couple minutes left in the season.

Kentucky needs to invest in some Spider Tack with all those fumbles

• Options
    edited December 29, 2023 4:22PM

Another Bowl loss for the SEC.

Gator bowl

Clemson defeats SEC power Kentucky 38 - 35

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Ohio State up 3-0 3rd quarter. Does anyone know how to score in this game? OS just missed a FG.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Ohio State up 3-0 3rd quarter. Does anyone know how to score in this game? OS just missed a FG.

Ohio State down to a 3rd string freshman quarterback. No way they win this game.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buckeyes should've just stayed home.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited December 29, 2023 9:34PM

OSU only had one opt out Harrison Jr

Missouri dominated OSUs offensive line.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

Missing their best player and had alot of transfers to the portal including their quarterback. Then when their 2nd string QB went down they had no chance. I dont blame this loss on the coach.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

OSU had one starter in the portal McCord who wasnt very good. They had Harrison opt out, thats it every other starter played including guys planing to go to the NFL for OSU

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

Missing their best player and had alot of transfers to the portal including their quarterback. Then when their 2nd string QB went down they had no chance. I dont blame this loss on the coach.

Surprised the o/u so high,51.

• Options
    edited December 29, 2023 10:26PM

Dont pay any attention to the guy above. He hates Ohio State. He dont speak the truth.

McCord had the 7th best QB rating in the country(83.3)

Ohio State status report showed 9 players out of the Missouri game. And that doesn't even include the players that already got transferred to other teams after the Michigan game.

WR Nolan Baudo
    LB Tommy Eichenberg
    WR Marvin Harrison Jr.
    TE Zak Herbstreit
    S Lathan Ransom
    WR Reis Stocksdale
    OT Miles Walker
    LB Kourt Williams II
    RB Miyan Williams

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

Surprised the o/u so high,51.

It wasnt a terrible over under considering basically everyone played. Backups transferring that didnt play all year mean nothing

A lot of conservative play calling during the game and a couple very very OSU favorited calls that could have easily been Missou TDs or at least FGs. They didnt really start passing until the 4th

• Options
    edited December 30, 2023 4:42AM

@coolstanley said:
    Another Bowl loss for the SEC.

Gator bowl

Clemson defeats SEC power Kentucky 38 - 35

Well, well, well.....the first loss for the BIG10

Cotton Bowl

Mizzou whips BIG10 3rd place finisher, OSU, 14-3

*** Class act when Mizzou took a knee at the end.

• Options

Winner, winner, chicken dinner....... B)

• Options

3 good games today..... B)