Home U.S. Coin Forum

Please post your Seated Liberty images.

Comments

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I didn't do a comprehensive analysis. I just had my Seated Half dollar coins out at the time and did a visual comparison to the 1864-S I have. I will tell you this though. I have several coins I grade higher or lower than the holder grade indicates. What is more, I have a couple ICG coins that have far more detail than their PCGS /NGC counterparts of the same grade, yet everyone complains they are the faulty service. James

Does yours have a weak upper Liberty? Other than the weak upper torso and head of Liberty, I grade this 25/30-35. The grade it received (F15) needs to be explained to me because I don't understand this penalizing a coin for something that seems to have happened in the coining process.

I have a 42-O small date half with a full LIBERTY (E is weak), strong drapery, and the feathered wings of a VF20, yet it's a WB-1 with its characteristic horrible strike and is graded VG10. Both coins seem like crack-out and crossover candidates, but I have to be certain I'm not overlooking something in my grading.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

I wish I was one of those camera guys. Unfortunately not. The key difference between my coin and yours is that yours has a fuller Liberty. My coin features a Liberty that has a faint E and strong top halfs to R and T but lacks bottom halfs. The head detail, shoulder and upper half gown detail on my coin are an exact match to yours. My coin has strong lower detail including more leg roll and a fully split sandal. the reverse only differs in that my coin shows less arrow fletching and less lower left leg detail.
    However, I think you might be just mixing up pictures. You posted an 1865-s, but you also posted an 1864-S. You asked about a GTG that you originally listed as a 1864-s but pictured a 1865-s. I mentioned this to you so I assume you went back and fixed the post. the coin I have been doing a comparison to is the 1865-s originally posted. james

edited September 30, 2023 6:03AM

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I wish I was one of those camera guys. Unfortunately not. The key difference between my coin and yours is that yours has a fuller Liberty. My coin features a Liberty that has a faint E and strong top halfs to R and T but lacks bottom halfs. The head detail, shoulder and upper half gown detail on my coin are an exact match to yours. My coin has strong lower detail including more leg roll and a fully split sandal. the reverse only differs in that my coin shows less arrow fletching and less lower left leg detail.
    However, I think you might be just mixing up pictures. You posted an 1865-s, but you also posted an 1864-S. You asked about a GTG that you originally listed as a 1864-s but pictured a 1865-s. I mentioned this to you so I assume you went back and fixed the post. the coin I have been doing a comparison to is the 1865-s originally posted. james

Sorry to put you through all this writing. It's the 65-S. It still looks undergraded to me as I think that's grease in the die or something related to its mintage causing that "wear."

• semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Just bought this as an upgrade for my VG8. It's not in hand yet but I thought I'd post the Trueview. Nice original coin graded VF25. I can see this in a 30 holder someday.

I have this in hand now. The Trueview is pretty much spot on. Choice original gray coin. Now I have to upgrade my 70-cc G6 and 71-cc VF details. I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Even if I had the funds, the coins are almost nonexistent.

I can't believe this coin doesn't have at least 50 likes.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Just bought this as an upgrade for my VG8. It's not in hand yet but I thought I'd post the Trueview. Nice original coin graded VF25. I can see this in a 30 holder someday.

I have this in hand now. The Trueview is pretty much spot on. Choice original gray coin. Now I have to upgrade my 70-cc G6 and 71-cc VF details. I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Even if I had the funds, the coins are almost nonexistent.

I can't believe this coin doesn't have at least 50 likes.

Thanks! It's the centerpiece of my collection right now.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBN said:

Just WOW!!!!!!!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • JBNJBN Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@JBN said:

Just WOW!!!!!!!

Thanks.
    The dime was from Heritage's recent sale: 'Attractively Toned US Coin Showcase Auction' .
    It is.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a nice example of the 1843 V-9,
    with the repunched 1 South just barely visible.

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leeroybrown excellent looking 1840-O. Evenly balanced wear and color for both sides and I love the myriad of die cracks on the reverse, it appears to be WB-3 (R-5). Congrats.

• LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @LJenkins11 …. I love the look on her.

I’m glad to add this 40-O to the set…

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite coins. According to Breen that medium O mintmark was used to strike the first 50,000 mint marked coins. Then was never used again. One of my favorite coins. james

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

DC SL$

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2023 12:42AM

@Barberian said:

@LJenkins11 said:
    1868, XF40, WB-1, Mintage 417,600, R-3

Wear-wise, that is at least a EF45. Nice strike as well.

1868 is another sleeper coin that made a fool out of me. I debated with the seller over the stated grade while being completely oblivious of the outstanding price he was asking for the coin. Dumb.

It is a sleeper coin, the POP's are overstated to say the least.

• CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Don!

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy cow - is that yours? Wholesome.

Love that coin @JBN 👍👍Great eye appeal and a low mintage issue.

@Eldorado9 said:
    Newp!

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert That's one of those coins that magically lifted the money out of my wallet!

edited October 29, 2023 7:12PM

@JBN The coin made me sit up in my seat. It's a nice low grade 78-S.

I'm looking for a straight graded 78-S like that. The ones I've seen lately have not been very attractive except for the MS63. That one's for someone else.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    One of the most common dates but this one is a perfect original XF45. It should cross to PCGS XF45. We'll find out.

Don, nice pickup
    Why does it seem you can find these coins in vf-to ef with no problems and I can't seem o find a AU-MS without problems?
    You must be working harder than me................
    Good luck on the cross over

@alaura22 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    One of the most common dates but this one is a perfect original XF45. It should cross to PCGS XF45. We'll find out.

Don, nice pickup
    Why does it seem you can find these coins in vf-to ef with no problems and I can't seem o find a AU-MS without problems?
    You must be working harder than me................
    Good luck on the cross over

Thanks, I'll actually crack and submit raw rather than cross over but I expect an XF45. If you trust yourself, it's cheaper to do it that way.

As far as finding them, I check ebay and all the major dealers/auctions almost every day, so I see hundreds of coins a day usually.

A quick ebay search on AU53 came up with a few nice ones like this one.

Don
    Since I don't play the crack-out game and only want PCGS CAC coins makes it a little tougher
    I to check every day,

@alaura22 said:
    Don
    Since I don't play the crack-out game and only want PCGS CAC coins makes it a little tougher
    I to check every day,

Yeah, PCGS/CAC will definitely narrow the choices. I look for nice original coins and if they're raw or NGC/ANACS etc., I have them graded. I'm not a fan of CAC and have them reholdered if there's a sticker. Some of my coins are CAC but no sticker.

Don,

Great looking 1856 quarter! I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for a crossover to PCGS XF45 however.

Doug

@HighRelief Awesome 1890!

Freddie,

That's the nicest circulated 1855-O quarter I've ever seen!

Doug

@Barberian said:
    I was a bit impaired today but managed to remember this auction in time and even win it.
    From what I can see, I like the surfaces of this CC coin. Many show signs of corrosion. This coin looks like a VG8. I'm hoping the color is somewhere between these two pairs of images.

The coin arrived today. It will be returned on Monday. There's nice toning contrast but it has extensively etched fields, and hairlined surfaces. It seems a lot of CC coins come with notable environmental damage to some degree. This raw coin came in a soft flip with some whitish residue on the plastic. The photos hid the environmental damage. Most of the photos were juiced.

I don't like returning coins. I need to go shopping at another FUN show.

Sorry you had to deal with that, If just the sellers were honest about in the 1st place

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file