BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2023 6:58AM

Thanks!
    I'm beginning to think clearly again.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    This has been a very exciting and anxious week for me as I had to wait three days for this coin to arrive sight unseen. Three hours of sleep in two nights. It was a dream to even attempt to get a 78-S, and now it's sitting on my desk, no different from the other coins. I need a nap.

GRRR!! Congrats-This is the only one that I still need. But, I am basically done collecting and will never acquire one now.

• Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1871-S half is perfect, congrats!

Doug

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not every day you open this thread and find an 1878-S half staring at you.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden Awesome 71-s!

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2023 8:13PM

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    @rhedden Awesome 71-s!

Hah! I stole it from Crepidodera by posting my name right below it. :p

My 1871-s is just a VG.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crepidodera said:

Doug

Thanks Doug. I used to collect Seated halves but sold off my date set-in-progress just before I retired, and used the proceeds to buy photography equipment, for collecting birds. I found myself thinking that I should have kept a few for type, then this came along. Fortuitous timing on my part, as the seller informed me that he had a lot of inquiries after it went on hold for me.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:

@Crepidodera said:

Doug

Thanks Doug. I used to collect Seated halves but sold off my date set-in-progress just before I retired, and used the proceeds to buy photography equipment, for collecting birds. I found myself thinking that I should have kept a few for type, then this came along. Fortuitous timing on my part, as the seller informed me that he had a lot of inquiries after it went on hold for me.

I concur, that is a wonderful-looking half dollar! - Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

@ZoidMeister Always love those stories.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:
    Here's a slightly different take on the standard Liberty Seated posting, but technically this piece is Liberty Seated, so I hope y'all don't mind this slight aberration. This is my first CACG coin and I must admit that I like their slab design.

1878-S Trade Dollar - CACG XF45

Here is a fairly significant "aberration" . . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited December 15, 2023 10:27AM

@sedulous said:
    @ZoidMeister Always love those stories.

OK. The coin on the left is not a British half penny but likely a Machin's Mills counterfeit. Therefore, one might argue that the seated Britannia on it is really a seated Miss Liberty in camouflage here, and therefore, is perhaps worthy of inclusion in a seated Liberty thread (if you could see her). She was found 4-5 inches in the ground using a 45-year-old TR detector near the towering "Washington Oak" at Washington College, Maryland.

George Washington was one of Washington College's founding donors, donating 50 guineas to be used to acquire science equipment. George also allowed the school to be named after him, and he sat on their board. The college has its own arboretum on campus. I was told by a rather 'colorful' biology professor there that this tree was planted from a cutting or seedling taken from George Washington's Mount Vernon estate, or something to that effect. My memory is rusty, probably from the acid rain we were studying in the area when I found it, so I researched this GW tree a bit. The most parsimonious explanation I can come up from the evidence found is this is simply an oak planted as part of the bicentennial celebration of Washington's birthday until I find out otherwise.

The other coin is an unworthy foreign imposter and one of four coins unearthed by my grandfather in his garden in Great Neck, Long Island, NY.

Even the 2x2s they're in are relics from the past.

• Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 637 ✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@Southcounty said:
    Love that 53 NA.

Here was a fun one to cherry.

Embarrassing. NGC likely went with the customer's identification and didn't bother verifying it. Or looked at the wrong diagnostic character and not the size of the rock.

I figured you would notice that it was actually a no drapery example. The cleaning looks worse in the pictures than in hand, but still to get an AU details 39 no drapery for ~$300 is not bad. This is the second one I have found, the first was a problem free AU example graded by PCGS. I left it in the holder complete with the dealer price sticker for a novelty, although it would improve my set registry if I crossed it appropriately. I think Bill might even mention it in his book.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@GotTheBug said:
    Here's a slightly different take on the standard Liberty Seated posting, but technically this piece is Liberty Seated, so I hope y'all don't mind this slight aberration. This is my first CACG coin and I must admit that I like their slab design.

1878-S Trade Dollar - CACG XF45

Here is a fairly significant "aberration" . . . . . .

Z

I see boobies :)

• Options

Here are Bill Bugert's comments on the "No drapery" with drapery (p. 24). Considering it had the large rock of a ND, I figured it was a die clash.

LDS “With-Drapery.” A few LDS examples of this die marriage have what appears to be drapery
    below the elbow on the obverse die. This “drapery” is actually clash lines and can be very
    deceptive. In 11/2015, I noticed an AU53 TPG 1839 of this die marriage that was mislabeled as a
    With-Drapery type. The clash lines below the elbow obviously led the graders astray. I have
    thoroughly studied a “With-Drapery” example and believe this “With-Drapery” die state is actually
    a remarriage of these dies used after WB-3 was struck and before the dies were clashed. This
    remarriage would account for the lack of the “drapery” on WB-2 and WB-3. Further study is
    necessary

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is all I see when looking at the 54...

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fastfreddie said:
    p40 cac

Choice and RARE! A still very undervalued coin in EF and better.

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    The bean will go away when I get it reholdered with trueview.

Too bad, the older holder with CAC sticker looks really good as is.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really nice run of dollars!

• Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

@rec78 said:

@Barberian said:
    This has been a very exciting and anxious week for me as I had to wait three days for this coin to arrive sight unseen. Three hours of sleep in two nights. It was a dream to even attempt to get a 78-S, and now it's sitting on my desk, no different from the other coins. I need a nap.

GRRR!! Congrats-This is the only one that I still need. But, I am basically done collecting and will never acquire one now.

Wow! Great to see my old 78-S show up here. It's a great, solid extremely rare coin. Short of the unobtanium 1853-O no arrows, this is the last coin obtained in a Seated Liberty half set. Enjoy!

BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options

@rec78 The 1840 looks really nice!

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    My liberty seated dollars

Love that thing!

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file