Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please post your Seated Liberty images.

Comments

• Options
    LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow…. All are great coins…. The 1889 is my favorite!

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    I just got back the grades on an exciting submission of odds and ends. Stuff like Barbers, including a counterstamped 1892-O, a chopmarked SLH, a dozen seated halves including a chopmarked rarity, four circulated commemoratives, three cherry-picks, and even a 14-D Lincoln cent.

Let's see the chops!!!

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2023 9:43PM

@Barberian said:
    I just got back the grades on an exciting submission of odds and ends. Stuff like Barbers, including a counterstamped 1892-O.....

I didn't know they would grade counterstamps... I have seen graded chopmarked Trade Dollars...

Are there any situations where counterstamps would not be given a Details grade? I think it would in every instance. I can see the '92-O counterstamp on the Hayes thread so thanks @Barberian !!!

Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leeroybrown said:
    Wow…. All are great coins…. The 1889 is my favorite!

I looked up my notes on the 1889. It says, "light clean, VF30." I haven't looked at it much, but thought it looked nice and had toned beautifully on the reverse when I added it to the submission. The TrueView to me suggests it's a strong VF25 with some evidence of light cleaning or wiping in the obverse (streaky toning, likely very light hairlining, and from the effort made on the obverse, I would expect a few light hairlines under that nice toning on the reverse. This criticism may sound harsh, but I'm being very picky here. Keep in mind that three of my 'sure thing' AUs have graded MS63 and 64. It's a nice-looking coin and I had little doubt that PCGS would straight grade it.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Barberian said:

This is the same coin in a well-lit TrueView (graded VF25). In hand, it looks like the upper picture until you focus a light on the coin.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭

The coin pictured is an 1865-S but I would guess fine 15. I have an 1864-S that looks almost identical. my coin is in a PCGS holder. james

• Options
    edited September 21, 2023 10:12AM

@seatedlib3991 said:
    The coin pictured is an 1865-S but I would guess fine 15. I have an 1864-S that looks almost identical. my coin is in a PCGS holder. james

Thanks for the correction.

Why Fine 15? Aside from the head and bust, the obverse grades around VF25. The reverse is VF30! So VF25/VF30 = F15?

Whatever caused the advanced wear on the breast and head most likely wasn't simply wear. Is this another instance where a poor or problematic die hurts the coin's grade?
    VF35

Fine15

• Options

I didn't do a comprehensive analysis. I just had my Seated Half dollar coins out at the time and did a visual comparison to the 1864-S I have. I will tell you this though. I have several coins I grade higher or lower than the holder grade indicates. What is more, I have a couple ICG coins that have far more detail than their PCGS /NGC counterparts of the same grade, yet everyone complains they are the faulty service. James

• Options

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I didn't do a comprehensive analysis. I just had my Seated Half dollar coins out at the time and did a visual comparison to the 1864-S I have. I will tell you this though. I have several coins I grade higher or lower than the holder grade indicates. What is more, I have a couple ICG coins that have far more detail than their PCGS /NGC counterparts of the same grade, yet everyone complains they are the faulty service. James

Does yours have a weak upper Liberty? Other than the weak upper torso and head of Liberty, I grade this 25/30-35. The grade it received (F15) needs to be explained to me because I don't understand this penalizing a coin for something that seems to have happened in the coining process.

I have a 42-O small date half with a full LIBERTY (E is weak), strong drapery, and the feathered wings of a VF20, yet it's a WB-1 with its characteristic horrible strike and is graded VG10. Both coins seem like crack-out and crossover candidates, but I have to be certain I'm not overlooking something in my grading.

• Options

I wish I was one of those camera guys. Unfortunately not. The key difference between my coin and yours is that yours has a fuller Liberty. My coin features a Liberty that has a faint E and strong top halfs to R and T but lacks bottom halfs. The head detail, shoulder and upper half gown detail on my coin are an exact match to yours. My coin has strong lower detail including more leg roll and a fully split sandal. the reverse only differs in that my coin shows less arrow fletching and less lower left leg detail.
    However, I think you might be just mixing up pictures. You posted an 1865-s, but you also posted an 1864-S. You asked about a GTG that you originally listed as a 1864-s but pictured a 1865-s. I mentioned this to you so I assume you went back and fixed the post. the coin I have been doing a comparison to is the 1865-s originally posted. james

• Options
    edited September 30, 2023 6:03AM

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I wish I was one of those camera guys. Unfortunately not. The key difference between my coin and yours is that yours has a fuller Liberty. My coin features a Liberty that has a faint E and strong top halfs to R and T but lacks bottom halfs. The head detail, shoulder and upper half gown detail on my coin are an exact match to yours. My coin has strong lower detail including more leg roll and a fully split sandal. the reverse only differs in that my coin shows less arrow fletching and less lower left leg detail.
    However, I think you might be just mixing up pictures. You posted an 1865-s, but you also posted an 1864-S. You asked about a GTG that you originally listed as a 1864-s but pictured a 1865-s. I mentioned this to you so I assume you went back and fixed the post. the coin I have been doing a comparison to is the 1865-s originally posted. james

Sorry to put you through all this writing. It's the 65-S. It still looks undergraded to me as I think that's grease in the die or something related to its mintage causing that "wear."

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Just bought this as an upgrade for my VG8. It's not in hand yet but I thought I'd post the Trueview. Nice original coin graded VF25. I can see this in a 30 holder someday.

I have this in hand now. The Trueview is pretty much spot on. Choice original gray coin. Now I have to upgrade my 70-cc G6 and 71-cc VF details. I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Even if I had the funds, the coins are almost nonexistent.

I can't believe this coin doesn't have at least 50 likes.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Just bought this as an upgrade for my VG8. It's not in hand yet but I thought I'd post the Trueview. Nice original coin graded VF25. I can see this in a 30 holder someday.

I have this in hand now. The Trueview is pretty much spot on. Choice original gray coin. Now I have to upgrade my 70-cc G6 and 71-cc VF details. I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Even if I had the funds, the coins are almost nonexistent.

I can't believe this coin doesn't have at least 50 likes.

Thanks! It's the centerpiece of my collection right now.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBN said:

Just WOW!!!!!!!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@JBN said:

Just WOW!!!!!!!

Thanks.
    The dime was from Heritage's recent sale: 'Attractively Toned US Coin Showcase Auction' .
    It is.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a nice example of the 1843 V-9,
    with the repunched 1 South just barely visible.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leeroybrown excellent looking 1840-O. Evenly balanced wear and color for both sides and I love the myriad of die cracks on the reverse, it appears to be WB-3 (R-5). Congrats.

• Options
    LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @LJenkins11 …. I love the look on her.

I’m glad to add this 40-O to the set…

• Options

One of my favorite coins. According to Breen that medium O mintmark was used to strike the first 50,000 mint marked coins. Then was never used again. One of my favorite coins. james

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

DC SL$

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2023 12:42AM

@Barberian said:

@LJenkins11 said:
    1868, XF40, WB-1, Mintage 417,600, R-3

Wear-wise, that is at least a EF45. Nice strike as well.

1868 is another sleeper coin that made a fool out of me. I debated with the seller over the stated grade while being completely oblivious of the outstanding price he was asking for the coin. Dumb.

It is a sleeper coin, the POP's are overstated to say the least.

• Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Don!

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy cow - is that yours? Wholesome.

• Options

Love that coin @JBN 👍👍Great eye appeal and a low mintage issue.

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    Newp!

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert That's one of those coins that magically lifted the money out of my wallet!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file