Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

Comments

• Options
    AbsolutionAbsolution Posts: 336 ✭✭✭

Hmm forgot which post it was but someone was asking for imaging for coins on the Morgan and Peace? I got it without realizing I had it for the 2023.

https://www.pcgs.com/shared-orders/order-details/23469830

Successful BST Transactions with: RMLTM79 (seller), Gerard (seller), bgman (buyer), Coinflip (buyer) | Positive Vendor Transactions/Service with: Stuppler & Company (seller)
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2023 4:48AM

@Absolution said:
    Hmm forgot which post it was but someone was asking for imaging for coins on the Morgan and Peace? I got it without realizing I had it for the 2023.

That's because your submission was the Gold Shield™ service group and that includes a TrueView image.

Most submissions on these coins(correct me if I'm wrong) were through the Standard service group which doesn't include TrueView imaging.

Great looking images for sure.

• Options

Well, we got our first MS68 Morgan...

And we got our first MS67 Peace as well as an MS68

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

Those are rare. Pay a premium.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

From "First Strike" label submissions, no less. I might expect those grades showing up on base label submissions, but not expecting them as much on First Strike submissions.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

@SPalladino said:

@Goldbully said:

From "First Strike" label submissions, no less. I might expect those grades showing up on base label submissions, but not expecting them as much on First Strike submissions.

Why? Anyone can submit 1st strike. If they sent in sealed boxes...

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@SPalladino said:

@Goldbully said:

Thank you for for the correction - I agree. Mine was a brainless morning reply.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@SPalladino said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SPalladino said:

@Goldbully said:

Thank you for for the correction - I agree. Mine was a brainless morning reply.

That's a bit harsh.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Absolution said:

Calling @robec

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@Absolution said:

Calling @robec

There they are. Thank you for the heads up and the links. The photos are great. It’s just too bad the finish wasn’t more brilliant instead of satin. I miss the cartwheel flash. The hair detail is super.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here, honestly still believe that these will sell out?

Morgan available count: 69,762
    Peace available count: 89,781

They may be great looking rehashed designs, however, if you're patient, they will become available at below issue price, in the secondary markets later this year or next year. Another money loosing issue from the Mint.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2023 3:19AM

@OPA said:

They may be great looking rehashed designs, however, if you're patient, they will become available at below issue price, in the secondary markets later this year or next year. Another money loosing issue from the Mint.

If they keep selling them for another year or two, they might eventually sell out. That's a little different from the value in the secondary market. Given that ASE proofs with similar mintages are in the $70 range, I don't expect a significant drop in value in the secondary market.

We had one true believer (coiner). He might still be predicting a Christmas sellout and a surge in value. However, we haven't heard from him for a while.

• Options
    edited September 5, 2023 5:34AM

• Options

• Options

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

[Does anyone here, honestly still believe that these will sell out?]

And if they don't...melt down the excess...I'll wait!

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    [Does anyone here, honestly still believe that these will sell out?]

And if they don't...melt down the excess...I'll wait!

They won't be melted down, they will go into one of the Mint Auctions and be sold with a third-party label like 2025 Release.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭

I guess the thrill has worn off although i still see them being offered on TV for $150 or more each in 70. I think I may reduce my subscription for the reverse proofs to 2 but there is time to do that later.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

My unc Morgan and Peace results just posted. 12 for 12 as MS70. First strike they look to be worth exactly what I paid for them due to low demand.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well...as of now, I'm in for 7 RP sets...perhaps I'll reduce that to 5???

Maybe...

• Options
    edited September 6, 2023 10:25AM

US Mint Sales figures through 9/3/2023:

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

PCGS and NGC graded populations with rate of 70s, through 9/6/2023:

• The PCGS graded population for the Morgan and Pease uncs is nearing the tipping point in favor of the total population being being composed of more base and First Strike labels than FDOI and AR labels (predominantly collector submissions). Currently 51% FDOI and Advance Release, and 49% base label and First Strike.
    • The Peace proof is beginning to appear as a an outlier on the lower side of the rate of 70s, compared to the Morgan proofs and Morgan and Peace uncs. Whether the Peace proof rate of 70s begins to steer valuations of Peace 70s compared to the others remains to be seen.
    • Base label and First Strike (and NGC equivalent) labels have a lower rate of 70s than the big boy submission labels. As the population of the former rise, while the population of the latter remains static, the overall rate of 70s will decline a bit.
    Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@OPA said:

9/6/2023
    Morgan proof stocklevel: 69,860
    Peace proof stocklevel: 90,315
    The Morgan proof stocklevel is only 1,384 lower than it was on 8/9/2023 @ 1:47pm PDT.
    The Peace proof stocklevel is 12,091 more than it was on 8/9/2023 @ 1:47pm PDT.
    Using the rate of change over the past 13 days, it will take 416 days for the Morgan proof to sell out, and 6,866 days for the peace proof to sell out.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

My Peace Unc just went from received to grading. 3 of them.

• Options
    OptexOptex Posts: 23 ✭✭

What is the general consensus on the “Reverse Proof “ set coming out? Do you think it will be any more popular than the “ uncirculated” and “proof” sets? What’s your feelings on the subscriptions? Do you see a lot of cancellations as we get closer to the release date? Just trying to look ahead and I respect the opinions of the collecting community here. Thanks.

• Options

Me personally, I’m getting as many as I can just to hold on to. Probably won’t grade but two sets though.

• Options

@Optex said:
    What is the general consensus on the “Reverse Proof “ set coming out? Do you think it will be any more popular than the “ uncirculated” and “proof” sets? What’s your feelings on the subscriptions? Do you see a lot of cancellations as we get closer to the release date? Just trying to look ahead and I respect the opinions of the collecting community here. Thanks.

I cannot speak for a general consensus, but:
    total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof
    mintage limit for the RP set is 250,000.
    First US Mint Morgan or Peace RP produced.
    I think that the RP will be "more popular" than the uncs or proofs, but how much more, and how "more popular" translates to valuations is indeterminant.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof
    I think that the RP will be "more popular" than the uncs or proofs, but how much more, and how "more popular" translates to valuations is indeterminant.

I concur. I have not reduced my RP orders. I will flip quick and hopefully make a little. I will hold exactly zero for future appreciation.

• Options
    OptexOptex Posts: 23 ✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof

I concur. I have not reduced my RP orders. I will flip quick and hopefully make a little. I will hold exactly zero for future appreciation.

Thanks, I appreciate your outlook on these coins.

• Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

Just got my five of each back. All 70s. :) I sent the proofs off last week. Fingers crossed...

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2023 7:04PM

Today's PSA.....

PCGS First Strike™ designation cutoff date for proofs was September 8, 2023.

edited to add: Sealed Mint boxes only now for the FS™ designation.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

Today's PSA.....
    PCGS First Strike™ designation cutoff date for proofs was September 8, 2023.
    edited to add: Sealed Mint boxes only now for the FS™ designation.

Good deal, I don’t open my USPS Boxes unless I know I am going to immediately send them in. So my proofs and uncirculated Morgan’s are safe for future FS designation if the prices rise once they are sold out at the mint. Crossing fingers on that one though.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

w/e 09/10/2023 Mint sales:

2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK 260,624 (85)
    2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK - 40 COIN 330 -
    2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) 310,848 +2,490
    2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) - 40 COIN 443 -
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK 258,871 (1)
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK - 40 COIN 338 -
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) 287,636 +2,049
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) - 40 COIN 438 -

• Options

I sent my Peace Unc in the USPS sealed box from the mint on the 26 of Aug and they are already in imaging. Fastest ever processing for me to that point and I marked regular on the outside of the box. Happy about it but very unexpected.

• Options
    edited September 13, 2023 9:08AM

Well, we got our first 66 Proof Morgan, and the dubious honor of a 65 on a Proof Peace $1.

Guess they were sent in sealed boxes, now who would send in a 65?

92.9% of Proof Morgans are 70
    85.6% of Proof Peace $1's are 70.

• Options

@Goldbully said:
    Well, we got our first 66 Proof Morgan, and the dubious honor of a 65 on a Proof Peace $1.

Or they sent it in OGP and the capsule opened.

• Options

Got my proof results today...............2 out of 10 Peace $1's were 69.....Morgans all 70.
    Pretty close to the POPS %'s.

Overall I can't complain.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

That is a combined population by grade....including the request for 70 minimum grade by the big boys.
    The 70 rate will come down, given that AR and FDOI labels still predominate the proof grading populations.
    One thing is is apparent, it is harder to get a 70 on the Peace uncs and proof than the Morgan uncs and proofs....that will not likely change.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof

I disagree. Especially for the Morgan. Those who are true collectors like to see the classics presented in classic finishes; not the reverse proof.
    The Morgan is just fabulous in the traditional proof.
    I happen to think the RPs will be a bust.
    Sorry to rain on everyone’s parade.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Here's mine.
    Just purchased.
    Seems Flawless!
    Sic,
    Check that. There is an apparent spot under her chin?
    :#

^^^^This is classic finish^^^^^

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof

I disagree. Especially for the Morgan. Those who are true collectors like to see the classics presented in classic finishes; not the reverse proof.

I don't think "true collectors" are the target market for these.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2023 10:21AM

@coiner said:

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof

Yeah. Subscription sales to date suggest your parade is the one that has rain in its forecast. As do sales and mintage figures for every Morgan and Peace dollar offered by the Mint since 2021.

They made between 50-100K too many proofs, regardless of what "true collectors" prefer, which I am sure they will address next year. 250K is probably a sweet spot for these. They won't be on eBay for 4x issue price, but they will easily sell out, and be far from a bust.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just completed the set!
    Purchased the Peace Dollar, as well!

Case + COA included, but not shown.
    B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file