Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

Comments

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

The closest we get is the 2023 Morgan—it doesn’t match the old proofs, but, it still is a beautiful coin

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    but the sandblasted cameos just seem too "modern".

Laser-etched dies to achieve the frosted devices.

I also would like to know how they are actually made. What does the silver planchet look like before striking? Is it sandblasted or polished?

Polished.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

I also would like to know how they are actually made. What does the silver planchet look like before striking? Is it sandblasted or polished?

Polished.

Thanks. I wish they would just engrave the dies correctly and forget about the laser etching. Then there would be an actual variety of regular, CAM or DCAM versions like other proofs.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner glad to have your input back on the boards I have wondered where 7 over 8 went

Martin

• Options
    OptexOptex Posts: 23 ✭✭

@coiner said:
    I was at the ANA and had a “few” items signed by current USM Director.
    I will emphasize “a few”, meaning less than 5.
    There were others who overloaded her with what seemed to be 50+ or more of the Morgan/Peace COAs to sign.
    All I could say is HOG.
    No matter where you go there is always a HOG.
    Limits should be placed on these characters who obviously only intend to market the signature for profit.
    Mine will go to family members who have interest-along with the coins.

I know what you mean. Go over to “Modern Morgan and Peace Dollars “ on Facebook and see these “Hogs” bragging about it and selling them with their coins and pumping them up to be something special. Sad part is there are sucker that believe them and buy them.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2023 6:34PM

So I got my shipment of 3 Peace and 3 Morgans in the mail today. Of course today when I'm expecting these coins and other the mail doesn't get here until 6pm! Regardless, Aside from being packaged in a Terrycloth factory, I initially thought my Morgans were all defective, but it looks to be a shortcoming in the laser frosting process as all 3 Morgans are the same. See the red circle for what looks like a nick in the surface but is probably just normal.

I intend to ship this to PCGS tomorrow, I hope they do not hold that against the grade.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2023 6:59PM

@Goldminers said:

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

Polished.

Thanks. I wish they would just engrave the dies correctly and forget about the laser etching. Then there would be an actual variety of regular, CAM or DCAM versions like other proofs.

Can you imagine? People today return coins because they don't think they will grade 70. Under your scenario, anyone who did not get a DCAM would want a refund.

The good old days really weren't that good. There is absolutely no reason for the Mint to not fully leverage today's technology to ensure that everyone gets a DCAM. So they do just that. And, no, like everyone else, you wouldn't wish to be on the receiving end of anything other than the finest proof available. Nor should you have to, given today's technology.

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

finally got my proof 2023 morgan today, it seems like forever since i got my peace dollar then the morgan was processing for like forever until i called the mint asking about it then miraculously it shipped that day. imagine that.. squeaky wheel gets oiled.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@Goldminers said:

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

Polished.

Can you imagine? People today return coins because they don't think they will grade 70. Under your scenario, anyone who did not get a DCAM would want a refund.

The good old days really weren't that good. There is absolutely no reason for the Mint to not fully leverage today's technology to ensure that everyone gets a DCAM. So they do just that. And, no, like everyone else, you wouldn't wish to be on the receiving end of anything other than the finest proof available. Nor should you have to, given today's technology.

It depends on how the coins are marketed. You expect to get what you pay for. If the marketing showed DCAM reliefs, that is what I would expect.

• Options

All true about expectations, but if 300,000 + think they have or deserve all 70 dcams, that is why there is no upside longer term. As a few other experienced folks point out, these are like most modern mint items that don't have immediate sellouts, prices will fade until the next common shiny toy comes out.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    All true about expectations, but if 300,000 + think they have or deserve all 70 dcams, that is why there is no upside longer term. As a few other experienced folks point out, these are like most modern mint items that don't have immediate sellouts, prices will fade until the next common shiny toy comes out.

Well I wouldn't say the expectation is all 70's. But I would say the expectation is no readily identifiable flaws. I have tons of 69s where I cannot identify why it is not a 70. That may just be a lack of skill, but I would set that as the standard. 69+ if you will.

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 327 ✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    I have tons of 69s where I cannot identify why it is not a 70.

I agree with this and the sad thing is that I have quite a few 70s lately that definitely should not be. I had some that truly are. The last few years the majority of the 70s I'm getting have minor flaws, scratches, or dings that should render them 69 at least.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@NJCoin said:

@Goldminers said:

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

Polished.

It depends on how the coins are marketed. You expect to get what you pay for. If the marketing showed DCAM reliefs, that is what I would expect.

I respectfully disagree. If DCAMs are available, that's what you will want. That's what everyone will want. So, why should the Mint go out of its way to manufacture anything other than what everyone will want, when it has the ability to make every coin a DCAM at no additional cost?

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin > @NJCoin said:

@ProofCollection said:

@NJCoin said:

@Goldminers said:

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

Polished.

I respectfully disagree. If DCAMs are available, that's what you will want. That's what everyone will want. So, why should the Mint go out of its way to manufacture anything other than what everyone will want, when it has the ability to make every coin a DCAM at no additional cost?

I would rather have the old look than the laser etched perfect stuff that you get now. There is no character in these coins one clone after another. The only thing that give them some
    Character (to some) ore labels. Heck even the 70s and 69s are well for the most part a toss up

So not everyone likes the laser frosting
    It would be the mints version of VB

I would even be ok with the flimsy cello with the plastic mint ID like the UNC Ike’s
    Rant over
    Martin

• Options

mine has no such nick it looks perfect to me

• Options
    edited August 15, 2023 12:51AM

• Options

i think you will find most of the flaws to be smudges on inside of capsule along with spots of stuff on and in the capsule but the coin itself is as near to perfect as they can make it. IMHO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@ProofCollection said:

@NJCoin said:

@Goldminers said:

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

Polished.

We had one poster here return 8 out of 10 for minor marks. If there were differences in frost, as you say, returns would be astronomical.

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Everything is up this morning.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@ProofCollection said:

@NJCoin said:

@Goldminers said:

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

Polished.

We had one poster here return 8 out of 10 for minor marks. If there were differences in frost, as you say, returns would be astronomical.

Personally, I don't think the Mint should tolerate this abuse of returns. They should not promise frosty 70s nor should buyers expect frosty 70 only coins. They should Institute a restocking fee ;)

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@ProofCollection said:

@NJCoin said:

@Goldminers said:

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

Polished.

One visible luster(frost) break=69

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2023 5:05AM

@jshaulis said:

Morgan Unc not available.

edited to add: 12 Peace available

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

@HATTRICK said:

@SilverPlatinum said:

@HATTRICK said:
    Received my box of two Peace Proofs today. There is number 302 in pen on the label. Could it mean that golden ticket #302

Can you show us a photo for this number?

It is just a number in pen to the right of my name and address. Most likely something by the post office or mailman. I get a lot of UPS packages with writing in pen on them.
    Still fun to dream of a big score. :)

Is your house number 302? Or part of your zip code?

I have packages show up at my home, with my house number written on it all the time.
    I have just assumed it was whatever sorting system my local carrier was using to help him make his daily deliveries.

It could be the mail route number. I often have that number written by the post office on my packages.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@HATTRICK said:

@SilverPlatinum said:

@HATTRICK said:
    Received my box of two Peace Proofs today. There is number 302 in pen on the label. Could it mean that golden ticket #302

Can you show us a photo for this number?

It is just a number in pen to the right of my name and address. Most likely something by the post office or mailman. I get a lot of UPS packages with writing in pen on them.
    Still fun to dream of a big score. :)

Is your house number 302? Or part of your zip code?

I have packages show up at my home, with my house number written on it all the time.
    I have just assumed it was whatever sorting system my local carrier was using to help him make his daily deliveries.

It could be the mail route number. I often have that number written by the post office on my packages.

Not either one of thoes. I also get many packages with my house number in large black marker. It helps the driver find them faster on the truck than trying to read the labels. Sometimes even the street name

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@ProofCollection said:

@NJCoin said:

@Goldminers said:

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

Polished.

Personally, I don't think the Mint should tolerate this abuse of returns. They should not promise frosty 70s nor should buyers expect frosty 70 only coins. They should Institute a restocking fee ;)

What level of quality should the consumer expect? If you asked the mint director what level of quality we should expect, do you think they would tell their customers that some coins will have blemishes and flaws or that all are perfect?

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are Not good numbers for the Pumpers…

2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) 292,189 +292,189
    2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) – 40 COIN 286 + 286

2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) 274,156 +274,156
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) – 40 COIN 295 +295

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@ProofCollection said:

@NJCoin said:

@Goldminers said:

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

Polished.

What level of quality should the consumer expect? If you asked the mint director what level of quality we should expect, do you think they would tell their customers that some coins will have blemishes and flaws or that all are perfect?

Expectations and reality are two different issues.

These are mass produced items, at an affordable price. You aren't buying patek phillippe watches, more like seiko. That being said, if the coin has obvious blemishes or nicks, scratches. send it back.

• Options

For those that continue to purchase the 2023 Morgan Proof and 2023 Peace Proof...

The United States Mint Thanks You.
    The taxpayers of the United States Thanks You...

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your welcome.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like they will be for sale the entire year and more then likely into next year

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@ProofCollection said:

@NJCoin said:

@Goldminers said:

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

Polished.

If you asked the Mint Director, this question 50 years ago when I bought my first proof sets what would they say?

• Options

i accidently switched off the checkmark on my two piece set of reverse proof morgan and peace dollars and it took me three days to get the enrollement active again it kept telling me emrollement had exceeded quantity i knew eventually someone else would cancel one so i persisted and finally got the enrollment for the reverse proofs active again. so i guess what in saying is tread carefully on the subscription page

• Options

i have read a little bit of the mint news and i personally have never heard or read where the mint guaranteed everyone a perfect 70 all i have read was their promise to try to put out the nicest possible product.

• Options

as to what the planchets for these morgans look like i would like to have a dump truck load of the ase planchets for my own at one oz each thats alot of oz's of pure silver

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@ProofCollection said:

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@ProofCollection said:

@NJCoin said:

@Goldminers said:

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

Polished.

If you asked the Mint Director, this question 50 years ago when I bought my first proof sets what would they say?

Manufacturing had a totally different approach and mindset back then. They wouldn't have made the promises and guarantees that manufacturers make/claim today.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

Of interest is the ABPP took fewer proof boxes than unc boxes:

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

@SPalladino said:

@cagcrisp said:

Of interest is the ABPP took fewer proof boxes than unc boxes:

Comparing Launch week to Launch week...

2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK - 40 COIN 210 + 210
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK - 40 COIN 194 +194

2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) - 40 COIN 286 + 286
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) - 40 COIN 295 +295

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@jshaulis said:

Morgan Unc not available.

edited to add: 12 Peace available
    @ProofCollection said:

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@ProofCollection said:

@NJCoin said:

@Goldminers said:

@JBK said:

@Goldminers said:

Polished.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    for the proofs is inside and it is a warning to submit sealed? Anyone else get a box with a penned number on the label?
    Will leave sealed for a few days to see if anything pops up. :|

received someone else's box today. Had street # in sharpie on it. box of chocolates.

all joking aside because this observation will kill it: aren't there only 200 golden tickets?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

i think there is some way to enhance the old etching to make the frosting more durable. Considering the pieces pressed, couldn't they also just use more dies?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@HATTRICK said:
    for the proofs is inside and it is a warning to submit sealed? Anyone else get a box with a penned number on the label?
    Will leave sealed for a few days to see if anything pops up. :|

received someone else's box today. Had street # in sharpie on it. box of chocolates.

all joking aside because this observation will kill it: aren't there only 200 golden tickets?

Yes but the theory behind my post was these are the next 200 special issues numbered 301 to 400 :D

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just hit my email

• Options

and cleveland had what hand i these?

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I got my Morgan's yesterday and opened them today with my dad. They all looked great. One coin has some light green stuff along the rim. Just popped open the holder and it was on the holder, not the coin. Wiped off the inside of the holder and now it looks great again. Super happy with the quality of the coin and can't wait for my Peace Dollars to show up later this week.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

Not in the least bit concerned. Numbers are thru Sunday 8/13.
    Only cover first 5 days of sales.

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

My orders of 2 Morgan and 2 Peace dollars came in Monday. The coins look great. One Morgan had flaws on the rim. Looks like some abrasions, and some foldover? above the TE of STATES.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file