mlittlemlittle Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Your Proof Peace Dollar looks great!

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@coiner said:

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:
    What is the general consensus on the “Reverse Proof “ set coming out? Do you think it will be any more popular than the “ uncirculated” and “proof” sets? What’s your feelings on the subscriptions? Do you see a lot of cancellations as we get closer to the release date? Just trying to look ahead and I respect the opinions of the collecting community here. Thanks.

I cannot speak for a general consensus, but:
    total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof
    mintage limit for the RP set is 250,000.
    First US Mint Morgan or Peace RP produced.
    I think that the RP will be "more popular" than the uncs or proofs, but how much more, and how "more popular" translates to valuations is indeterminant.

I disagree. Especially for the Morgan. Those who are true collectors like to see the classics presented in classic finishes; not the reverse proof.
    The Morgan is just fabulous in the traditional proof.
    I happen to think the RPs will be a bust.
    Sorry to rain on everyone’s parade.

Yeah. Subscription sales to date suggest your parade is the one that has rain in its forecast. As do sales and mintage figures for every Morgan and Peace dollar offered by the Mint since 2021.

They made between 50-100K too many proofs, regardless of what "true collectors" prefer, which I am sure they will address next year. 250K is probably a sweet spot for these. They won't be on eBay for 4x issue price, but they will easily sell out, and be far from a bust.

RP’s for this design are not going to be as popular as you might think.
    Let’s just leave it at that and wait until this plays out when issued.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2023 8:22AM

@coiner said:

@NJCoin said:

@coiner said:

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:
    What is the general consensus on the “Reverse Proof “ set coming out? Do you think it will be any more popular than the “ uncirculated” and “proof” sets? What’s your feelings on the subscriptions? Do you see a lot of cancellations as we get closer to the release date? Just trying to look ahead and I respect the opinions of the collecting community here. Thanks.

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof
    I think that the RP will be "more popular" than the uncs or proofs, but how much more, and how "more popular" translates to valuations is indeterminant.

I disagree. Especially for the Morgan. Those who are true collectors like to see the classics presented in classic finishes; not the reverse proof.

Yeah. Subscription sales to date suggest your parade is the one that has rain in its forecast. As do sales and mintage figures for every Morgan and Peace dollar offered by the Mint since 2021.

They made between 50-100K too many proofs, regardless of what "true collectors" prefer, which I am sure they will address next year. 250K is probably a sweet spot for these. They won't be on eBay for 4x issue price, but they will easily sell out, and be far from a bust.

RP’s for this design are not going to be as popular as you might think.
    Let’s just leave it at that and wait until this plays out when issued.

Sure thing, but please keep in mind that I've set the bar pretty low. 250K is going to be a pretty low hurdle when they instantly sold out 175K and 200K of whatever uncs they offered for sale in 2021, and then easily sold out at 275K for uncs in 2023, and sold more than 300K of each proof.

While RPs might not be your particular groove, people are just not going to reject them, as evidenced by other RP issues that also sold out. People like RPs, people like Morgan and Peace Dollars, and people like first time issues of just about anything.

Trust me, and let's both remember to come back here on 11/14, when they sell out same day, or, at the latest, shortly after noon on 11/15, when HHLs are lifted. There, I said it!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof

That's okay. Didn't you also predict a sellout of the Proofs?

I'm feeling better about the RP already.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@coiner said:

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof

Hey, I agree with you!!!

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@coiner said:

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof

I don't think "true collectors" are the target market for these.

I don't think there's any such thing as "true collectors". [Hate the term]

A lot of "true Morgan collectors" eschew the 21st century offerings on principle. A lot of "true collectors" won't buy any modern Mint product on principle.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@coiner said:

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof

Hey, I agree with you!!!

NICE!!!! And thanks! I'll try not to get used to it! 😀

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2023 4:01PM

Glad to see that some on this board are getting along today...

...of course, there is always tomorrow!

BST references available on request

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof

"A so called true collector" of the Morgan dollar, would not purchase this recycled for the umpteen time, classic bullion coin. That's my take

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stocklevel/availablecount....Proof Morgan=66,347....Proof Peace=87,687

Those are lofty numbers.

Anyone have any idea why there are 21,340 more Peace $1's available, than Morgan $1's left?

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2023 1:04PM

My take is this...if you've decided to collect anything modern from the Mint...it's more likely going to be a "new" coin with a classic design.

And if you're not going to buy anything modern from the Mint...it doesn't really matter for this discussion,

The only possible exception to this might be the annual Silver and Gold Eagles (although I like the original ASE reverse more myself and are now buying fewer with the redesigned reverse)...as they also have crossover bullion appeal...but also have that classic design thing going for them.

But again...for many on this board...the cost of the Morgan/Peace coins/sets are small potatoes relative to the value of their overall collections...so there's little downside, but some upside potential.

[Pulling on my asbestos drawers now for the flaming to come]

And that's it from me today...I'm off to buy a 1902 slabbed Liberty Nickel now.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

PCGS First Strike™ designation cutoff date for proofs was September 8, 2023.

I mailed mine in on Sept. 7'th...I know, cutting it close!!!

• Options

@Goldbully said:

Those are lofty numbers.

Anyone have any idea why there are 21,340 more Peace $1's available, than Morgan $1's left?

Because they've sold 21,340 less Peace dollars.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldbully said:

Those are lofty numbers.

Gosh, I never considered that.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2023 11:59AM

@Goldbully said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldbully said:

Those are lofty numbers.

:)

I'm not sure what other explanation you want. Plenty of people prefer one to the other.

• Options
    edited September 18, 2023 6:13PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldbully said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldbully said:

Those are lofty numbers.

:)

I'm not sure what other explanation you want. Plenty if people prefer one to the other.

This ^^^^. If it needs to be said, for a variety of reasons, the Morgan series has always been more popular than the Peace. This is just another manifestation of that, although a 20K variance on over 300K in sales isn't really material. Next year they'll drop the mintage to 300K for each, and you won't see any difference at all.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not looking good for one Specific Poster...

023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK 260,594 (30)
    2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK – 40 COIN 330 –
    2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) 311,009 +161
    2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) – 40 COIN 443 –
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK 258,872 +1
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK – 40 COIN 338 –
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) 286,875 (761)
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR PROOF (S) – 40 COIN 438 –

• Options

So many “Johnny come lately’s” on this forum just post for the sake of pushing their numbers up.
    They just know it all.
    29,000 posts in 6 years. Yikes.

• Options

@OPA said:

@coiner said:

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof

"A so called true collector" of the Morgan dollar, would not purchase this recycled for the umpteen time, classic bullion coin. That's my take

But you are misinterpreting the term, a “true collector” that wants a PROOF Morgan—and can’t afford a classic—wants it in the same finish/format—-a classic CAMEO PROOF; not a new fangled version Reverse Proof or any other derivative.

• Options

@coiner said:

@OPA said:

@coiner said:

@SPalladino said:

@Optex said:

total sales
    273,909 - Morgan unc
    272,372 - Peace unc
    326,078 - Morgan proof
    303,107 - Peace proof

But you are misinterpreting the term, a “true collector” that wants a PROOF Morgan—and can’t afford a classic—wants it in the same finish/format—-a classic CAMEO PROOF; not a new fangled version Reverse Proof or any other derivative.

Assumes a fact not in evidence. If a collector is willing to buy a modern copy in proof, why wouldn't they also POTENTIALLY want an RP? After all, the modern proofs look nothing like the originals anyway.

Do you really think that even a significant minority of the buyers of these coins are classic Morgan collectors looking for a proof type? I don't.

• Options

I’ve found that many of the buyers prefer the Morgan Proof as it fondly reminds them of some of the original Morgan proofs that are out of reach.
    Reverse proof is a new finish never offered for the classics.

• Options

@coiner said:
    I’ve found that many of the buyers prefer the Morgan Proof as it fondly reminds them of some of the original Morgan proofs that are out of reach.

I've never seen an original Morgan proof that looks anything like the modern version.

• Options
    edited September 20, 2023 10:04AM

To be totally/brutally honest...the quality/look of 1986 Eagles isn't the same as 2023 Eagles...technology changes things.

My newish Mustang also functions much better than the 1964 version!

PS...But I'd still like some PL 2021/2023 Morgan and Peace Uncs!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:

...My newish Mustang also functions much better than the 1964 version!

Hey now, you touched on the "Ford Mustang" subject! 😆
    Some things are better left alone!
    The '64 Classic, is just that, Classic!
    No need to change.
    Now, back to coins...
    :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

Well...I just saw online that my proofs all graded as 70s. For both the Uncs & Proofs, I looked over them with a loupe. Two of the Uncs had dings, so I didn't send them in. The Proofs all looked fine. Everything came back as 70s. This must mean that I'm a world-class coin grader now, right??? o:) My OCD will kick in, though, because I have 5 each of the slabbed Uncs, and 6 each of the proofs. Maybe I should crack out a Proof Morgan & a Proof Peace to balance things out? :p

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2023 7:41PM

Best carnival ride EVER!!!

...and now back to coins...

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

I've never seen an original Morgan proof that looks anything like the modern version.

You must have been a difficult child to deal with.
    Can you just take it at face value that a normal “cameo” proof is the finish utilized on a classic proof Morgan?!?
    They didn’t manufacture reverse proof Morgans in the 1880’s and 1890’s.
    Now just let it lie. You don’t need to have the last word on every topic.

• Options

Time for me to take a rest from this forum.
    When a few dominate every point and counterpoint—let the know it all’s have all the interaction with themselves.

• Options

@coiner said:
    Time for me to take a rest from this forum.
    When a few dominate every point and counterpoint—let the know it all’s have all the interaction with themselves.

People say that all the time. But it translates as "why can't I have the last word?" If you don't want to engage in a discussion, don't post opinions in public. And, if you do, I really don't see why a civil discussion should be viewed as problematic.

@coiner said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

You must have been a difficult child to deal with.
    Can you just take it at face value that a normal “cameo” proof is the finish utilized on a classic proof Morgan?!?
    They didn’t manufacture reverse proof Morgans in the 1880’s and 1890’s.
    Now just let it lie. You don’t need to have the last word on every topic.

They are NOT the 19th century proof finishes. They aren't even generated the same way. In fact, you can see people on this forum complaining about that very fact. There was even a discussion over whether people would actually buy a proof that was made in the 19th century style or whether they would all get returned when they weren't cameos.

Please. Have the last word. We all know that's what you want...

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2023 4:18PM

Grading populations and rate or 70s from PCGS and NGC through 9/23/2023

1) the big boy label types (eg, FDOI, AR) now have stagnant numbers, and are largely fully accounted for now.
    2) the collectors label types (eg, base label and FR) continue to grow. At this point, these label types have gained the majority of the grading population at PCGS and are moving in that direction at NGC.
    3) the lower rate of 70s in the collector label types (eg, base label and FR) pull down the overall rate of 70s as these label types move towards 50% of the graded population and beyond.
    4) of further interest, within the collector label types, the base label rate of 70 is lower than the rate of 70 seen with FR,ER labels. (next screenshot)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

That just confirms that the "big boys" send in their bulk subs with min 70 grades and the collectors of course, do not, and they wind up with a lower 70 success rate.

• Options

@ProofCollection said:
    That just confirms that the "big boys" send in their bulk subs with min 70 grades and the collectors of course, do not, and they wind up with a lower 70 success rate.

Remember that argument a couple of months ago? Thank God PCGS stepped in and confirmed it or we might still be having the argument.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

Remember -->

BST references available on request

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options

I don't think there's any such thing as "true collectors". [Hate the term]

A lot of "true Morgan collectors" eschew the 21st century offerings on principle. A lot of "true collectors" won't buy any modern Mint product on principle.

I agree with the “true collectors” thing. Every hobby I’m involved with from coins, to gemstones, to Hot Wheels, this comes up over and over and over again. I’m sooooo done with that term.

I do not eschew the new releases. Only the cash grab CC and O privy mark releases. That was a shameful act on the mint’s part.

I think the RPs will sell out. But, not immediately. Maybe in a full 24 hours to a week. Just my $.02.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

This is your best bet to get a cameo proof Morgan. Now they should do other series' too. I'd love to see them revive the Seated Liberty series. The 200th anniversary isn't that far off.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:
    This is your best bet to get a cameo proof Morgan. Now they should do other series' too. I'd love to see them revive the Seated Liberty series. The 200th anniversary isn't that far off.

I would be totally on board for a proof Liberty Seated dollar. Maybe a trade dollar and a Gobrecht dollar also.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:

They missed the boat on the 150th birthday of the Trade dollar this year.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2023 12:51PM

Stocklevel/availablecount....Proof Morgan=64,942....Proof Peace=88,541

Numbers sold daily is almost as dismal as the $100 High Relief Gold Coins, except that one should sell out before Christmas.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

Numbers sold daily is almost as dismal as the $100 High Relief Gold Coins, except that one should sell out before Christmas.

The sales stocklevel on August 9 at 1:47pm PDT (about 4h45m into the release) was 71,244 for the Morgan proof, and 78,224 for the Peace proof. ....which means that since about 4h45m into the release day, the sales stock level has reduced 6,302 for the Morgan proof (about 137 coins/day), and the sales stock level for the Peace proof has increased by 10,317 coins. ...with no HHL.
    The demand for the proofs is not anywhere near the 400,000 mintage. Current sales at 328,729 Morgan proofs and 304,395 Peace proofs.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

@SPalladino said:

@OPA said:

The sales stocklevel on August 9 at 1:47pm PDT (about 4h45m into the release) was 71,244 for the Morgan proof, and 78,224 for the Peace proof. ....which means that since about 4h45m into the release day, the sales stock level has reduced 6,302 for the Morgan proof (about 137 coins/day), and the sales stock level for the Peace proof has increased by 10,317 coins. ...with no HHL.
    The demand for the proofs is not anywhere near the 400,000 mintage. Current sales at 328,729 Morgan proofs and 304,395 Peace proofs.

This ^^^. The Mint swung and missed. No shame in that.

If they are smart, to maintain interest (and values), they'll reduce mintages next year to 250K for both uncirc and proof. It turns out the additional interest in proofs over uncircs is not what the Mint thought it would be, based on how other coins sell.

Otherwise, it's going to be a downward spiral, where they incrementally reduce mintages and demand follows it down.

• Options

Will the Mint end sales of the 2023 Morgan/Peace proofs at the end of this year? If so, the final net mintage will likely be lower than 400,000 and more reflective of actual demand.

• Options

@Overdate said:
    Will the Mint end sales of the 2023 Morgan/Peace proofs at the end of this year? If so, the final net mintage will likely be lower than 400,000 and more reflective of actual demand.

Depends on whether they struck them all. If they did, they'll keep selling them.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@SPalladino said:

@OPA said:

If they are smart, to maintain interest (and values), they'll reduce mintages next year to 250K for both uncirc and proof. It turns out the additional interest in proofs over uncircs is not what the Mint thought it would be, based on how other coins sell.

Otherwise, it's going to be a downward spiral, where they incrementally reduce mintages and demand follows it down.

There's a way to avoid all this by restructuring the silver coin offerings. Make the Morgan and Peace Dollar 1.5 inch 1 oz coins with a bullion version and collector versions like the ASE (Canada 1 oz silver maple leaves are similar diameter to the silver dollar). I'd even see if there would be any interest in a modern Seated Liberty Dollar or Gobrecht Dollar which would be 1.5 inch 1 oz coins. The designs could either rotate with one classic design per year or be concurrent.

Get rid of the ASE as it is and create a 5 oz silver bullion program. You'd have a 5 oz silver bullion program that includes a 5 oz silver version of the St. Gaudens Cent, Type One Buffalo Nickel, Mercury Dime, Type Two Standing Liberty Quarter, Walking Liberty Half Dollar which would be 65.2mm which is the diameter of 5 oz Canadian and Mexican silver bullion coins to allow for better relief. You can have the designs either rotate with one classic design per year or be concurrent.

• Options

@Overdate said:

@olympicsos said:

I would be totally on board for a proof Liberty Seated dollar. Maybe a trade dollar and a Gobrecht dollar also.

It's a very hard to collect series and this would spur interest in it.

• Options
    edited October 6, 2023 4:31PM

@olympicsos said:

@NJCoin said:

@SPalladino said:

@OPA said:

There's a way to avoid all this by restructuring the silver coin offerings. Make the Morgan and Peace Dollar 1.5 inch 1 oz coins with a bullion version and collector versions like the ASE (Canada 1 oz silver maple leaves are similar diameter to the silver dollar). I'd even see if there would be any interest in a modern Seated Liberty Dollar or Gobrecht Dollar which would be 1.5 inch 1 oz coins. The designs could either rotate with one classic design per year or be concurrent.

Get rid of the ASE as it is and create a 5 oz silver bullion program. You'd have a 5 oz silver bullion program that includes a 5 oz silver version of the St. Gaudens Cent, Type One Buffalo Nickel, Mercury Dime, Type Two Standing Liberty Quarter, Walking Liberty Half Dollar which would be 65.2mm which is the diameter of 5 oz Canadian and Mexican silver bullion coins to allow for better relief. You can have the designs either rotate with one classic design per year or be concurrent.

Sounds great, but you really are doing nothing more than proposing fixing something that isn't broken. The Mint has so far sold over 1 million Morgan and Peace Dollars at over $100 per ounce of silver. I doubt they feel the need to rejigger everything in the manner you have suggested, as though that would help them sell more than 300,000 proof examples of anything.

They sell tens of millions of one ounce silver bullion coins. There is very limited demand for 5 oz bullion. They tried that.

Everything else you suggested sounds interesting, but has nothing to do with them overproducing Morgan and Peace Dollar proofs by around 100K. Selling tens of thousands of any of them would not have anything to do with the Morgan and Peace Dollars, and nothing you are suggesting would be more popular than the Morgan and Peace Dollars already are.

• Options

@olympicsos said:

Make the Morgan and Peace Dollar 1.5 inch 1 oz coins with a bullion version and collector versions like the ASE (Canada 1 oz silver maple leaves are similar diameter to the silver dollar).

>
    As I see it, the main drawback would be that the 1 oz. Morgan/Peace dollars would look too similar to the classic and recent versions containing less silver. Too much opportunity for confusion and uncertainty by the general public.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file