Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little more rim toning with this '05-P Barber Quarter:

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

I liked the quality of this 1906-D Colorado Barber Quarter so I picked it up as well:

1906-D Barber Quarter PC45

• Tim

Moving the thread... 1896-O Half and Quarter!

1896-O Barber Half PCGS AU58 CAC

1896-O Barber Quarter PCGS XF45

1896-O Barber Quarter PCGS VF30 CAC

• Tim

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are a couple of nice looking '96 Os Tim!
    To keep the thread on the first page, here's a recent pick up with the kind of look I really like, for my small NGC collection of quarters:

@jedm Nice contrast to your '98-S quarter Jed!

ONE YEAR LATER from 1896-O's
    1897-O (New Orleans) half dollar and quarters!

1897-O Barber Half PCGS XF45 CAC (Only recently CAC'd so no image with sticker yet)

1897-O Barber Quarter PCGS XF45 CAC

1897-O Barber Quarter PCGS VF30

• Tim

GOING FURTHER WEST FROM NEW ORLEANS TO SAN FRANCISCO IN 1897
    1897-S Half Dollar and Quarters...

1897-S Barber Half PCGS AU58 CAC

1897-S Barber Quarter PCGS XF40

1897-S Barber Quarter PCGS VF30

Center Mintmark is very scarce to find nice!

edited July 18, 2023 11:24AM

To advance the thread, here is an '01-S half dollar in PCGS VG10 that has recently seen a CoinFacts value increase from $210 to $225. I bought it from a local coin shop in 2019 for $50. raw out of an old blue Whitman. Freshly imaged:

• T

The 1885 Liberty Nickel is the undisputed series key date. This image was shared by a recent PCGS article:

Image courtesy of PCGS TrueView.

edited July 20, 2023 1:41PM

The "Baker's Dozen" of Pop Reports (quantity of 13 and under)
    These are specifically for AU58 PCGS-holdered:

Barber Half Dollar PC58 Pop Report Totals by Date-Mint
    1892-O micro-o (1)
    1896-O (8)
    1896-S (9)
    1897-O (6)
    1897-S (8)
    1900-O (10)
    1901-O (9)
    1901-S (5)
    1902-S (9)
    1903-S (13)
    1904-O (13)
    1904-S (12)
    1907-S (10)
    1909-O (11)
    1911-S (13)

Barber ** Quarter PC58 Pop Report Totals by Date-Mint
    1896-S (6)
    1897-O (11)
    1897-S (9)
    1901-O (7)
    1901-S (1)
    1907-S (11)
    1909-O (5)
    1913-S (5)

Barber Dime PC58 Pop Report Totals by Date-Mint
    1893/2-P (9)
    1894-O (6)
    1895-O (10)
    1896-O (5)
    1896-S (7)
    1897-O (7)
    1897-S (11)
    1898-O (12)
    1898-S (13)
    1900-O (10)
    1901-S (12)
    1903-S (11)
    1905-O micro-o (8)
    1906-O (8)
    1906-S (11)
    1908-O (13)
    1909-S (13)
    1910-S (11)

I'm waiting on a new arrival for my small but growing collection of NGC quarters. This one's got the look that I go for:

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet coin, @LogPotato!

Here's a Barber half I purchased over 15 years ago that has toned very nicely in a Dansco. This is a scan that fails to capture the toning accurately. It's more colorful in hand. I may have to send it off for a TrueView.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Think this would cross at VF30 to a PCGS holder? 1895-O BQ:

• T

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details are there for a 30 but I think the heavy headband scratch would preclude it from crossing, Also the additional problem of light scratches on the neck. Good luck. It's hard to guess what they will think.

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m in the “Yes” camp to straight grade crossing. The OBV scratches are old and generally blend in. Their presence might put it in a 25 holder, however.

I love them Barber Halves.....

Your 95 O has stronger star, headband, and shield line details than the 04 O that I posted a few days ago which was also graded VF-30.
    I respect the opinions of the two previous posters as to its likelihood of crossing at grade. I've not yet attempted to cross any graded coin, so have no experience to call upon. Good luck!

• willywilly Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question on Barber Quarter CAC pricing. The CAC guide is showing lower prices than PCGS on most coins. My experience has been that CAC coins go for a lot more than the CAC Guide, at least when I have purchased them in the last couple of years. Many of the AU coins have very low CAC populations. Most of mine are in the AU55-58 range with a few MS 63-64. Really have not paid much attention to the values until now as I am thinking about selling my coins.

What are your thoughts and opinions on CAC prices in the CAC guide are they behind on pricing.

Thanks
    Willy

edited August 4, 2023 3:50PM

Agree on pricing. I many times see the CAC pricing to be lower than CoinFacts. Then again, some may argue the PCGS CoinFacts retail pricing is too high to begin with. I don't see it that way. CAC-stickered Barbers easily hit CoinFacts valuations regardless of CAC value guides. It does give off an feeling that CAC-pricing hasn't kept up with what should be more of a true valuation... perhaps more investment is needed by CAC if they want a representative valuation guide collectors depend on. I especially have seen auction realized hammers go higher at GreatCollections auctions in 2022-23 but it is somewhat true for all auction houses.

To bump the thread, here are three, in year-sequence, nice New Orleans Mint quarters - all in PCGS VF30 PCGS re-imaged recently:

1901-O BQ PC30

1902-O BQ PC30

1903-O BQ PC30 CAC

• Tim

That's a nice trio Tim! I saw this one yesterday and she will be coming up from Hollywood Florida to join my PCGS set, compliments of @paesan:

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:
    That's a nice trio Tim! I saw this one yesterday and she will be coming up from Hollywood Florida to join my PCGS set, compliments of @paesan:

Lenny has a great coin eye. nice coin Congrats.

@jedm said:

I saw and was watching that one... PC40 if I remember correctly?

I'm curious what's going on below the jaw line on the neck? Is that a die break?

Got some returns from grading here recently. New images accordingly:

• Tim

Here is another one of those returned. This one turned out as XF45 by PCGS:

• Tim

This one looks nice digitally but didn't make the muster in the grading return:

• T

This is just an enhanced scan of a coin I've rediscovered after 15 years. I forgot about it after seeing the bright cheek and suspected some sort of wiping, scuffing, or polishing, but that appears to be the only spot that looks unnatural. The rest looks very original looking. This needs a TrueView.

@Barberian - Keep unearthing those coins!

Some seemingly common dates are not so common. The 1904-P is one of those:

I agree:

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first-ever Barber quarter, 1908-O, PCGS AU58 CAC green. I don't collect Barber quarters but this one spoke to me. Photos were taken by the seller.

• RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

I got the bug 24 years ago...A real nice coin you got there!
    I love the hunt to complete my Barber set down to 8 coins

Rob

@Redglobe said:
    I got the bug 24 years ago...A real nice coin you got there!
    I love the hunt to complete my Barber set down to 8 coins

Thank you. I've been collecting for 61 years (thanks to my grandmother and a gift of a blue Lincoln cent Whitman folder), and thought this was my first Barber quarter, but I forgot that I used to own a PCGS G06 1913-S several years ago. I sold it for no good reason and it would now be worth 3 times what I paid for it, and it was a perfect coin for the grade too.

What 8 coins do you have left?

I like to call them the triplets......
    '96-S,01-S,13-S in any grade that catches my eye (G to Fine+++) and the dates 97-S,01-O,09-S,10-D and the 12-S in the grades XF-45 to AU 58

Rob

@Redglobe said:
    '96-S,01-S,13-S in any grade that catches my eye (G to Fine+++) and the dates 97-S,01-O,09-S,10-D and the 12-S in the grades XF-45 to AU 58

That would be a lofty goal for sure @Redglobe.

@GotTheBug looks like the Liz Coggan coin... 😍 great dealer in my book. Simply breathtaking!

• Tim

@sedulous said:

@Redglobe said:

That would be a lofty goal for sure @Redglobe.

@GotTheBug looks like the Liz Coggan coin... 😍 great dealer in my book. Simply breathtaking!

• Tim

Yes, it's the Liz Coggan coin. I used to do business with Liz (along with Gail) back when she worked for J. J. Teaparty. It's always nice to see Liz on the bourse when I go to the FUN Show. I'm not sure what Gail is up to these days.

Redglobe, have fun working on the last dates. There's a nice looking 1913-S on Gerry Fortin's website right now, PCGS G06 CAC.

@LogPotato said:
    Hard to believe it's been 6 years. I know I'm a few days late on this, but this was my first certified coin I bought and it was from Glenn, via Mike back in 2011.

That's a super Barber half! I've been trying to find coins with this look - scarcer than hen's teeth....

@GotTheBug said:

@LogPotato said:
    Hard to believe it's been 6 years. I know I'm a few days late on this, but this was my first certified coin I bought and it was from Glenn, via Mike back in 2011.

That's a super Barber half! I've been trying to find coins with this look - scarcer than hen's teeth....

I suggest looking up Darryl Kreis (@Amwldcoin) on eBay. He has the largest selection of nice Barbers that I've seen since I started going to FUN shows the past four years.

@Barberian said:

@GotTheBug said:

@LogPotato said:

I suggest looking up Darryl Kreis (@Amwldcoin) on eBay. He has the largest selection of nice Barbers that I've seen since I started going to FUN shows the past four years.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been checking out his eBay inventory from time to time. It's tough to judge a lot of his coins from the eBay photos, but he's at the FUN Show every January so I will be looking forward to seeing his offerings in person come 2022.

edited August 19, 2023 9:08AM

From what I've seen, Darryl sells quality coins and charges accordingly. He's a good guy and will have hundreds of nice Barbers available at FUN.

Maybe I'll bump into you there. Look for a very large, disorganized slob in sweatpants.

It's been quite a while since I posted a new purchase. In May I sent in 4 raw Barber Quarters for grading- all came back with straight grades (whew). Here's the first of the bunch:

This was submitted for variety attribution, DDO (Double Die Obverse). It does have a DDO, but apparently not the one PCGS is looking for:

@Barberian said:
    From what I've seen, Darryl sells quality coins and charges accordingly. He's a good guy and will have hundreds of nice Barbers available at FUN.

Maybe I'll bump into you there. Look for a very large, disorganized slob in sweatpants.

@Barberian said:

It would be nice to finally meet you after all of our correspondence. I did peruse Darryl's Barbers last January but I had spent pretty much all of my show funds by that point and I wasn't really prepared to go beyond my budget. You could spend quite a few hours looking through all of the Barbers in his cases - pretty amazing.

Here's another newp back from the grading room- an 1895 S BQ with the rare Center MM:

The Center MM position on the '95 S is VERY difficult to find, especially in a high grade. My guess is this variety likely has about the same mintage as the '96 S BQ- perhaps less. Unfortunately, MM positions on Barber Quarters don't get much attention.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2023 2:00PM

@Redglobe said:

Love the triplets! I'm also a big fan of the 05-O and O6-O in original F-XF. Great coins everyone!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Hi Dave,
    I feel the '06-O is certainly a sleeper!

Rob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file