Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    That is one of the most colorful quarters I have ever seen you collect, Jeff (@JeffMTampa), for your collection. What's the backstory or provenance?

The back story on this coin is a bit interesting. In November of 2016 I was trolling eBay looking for interesting stuff. I found a PCGS AU 58 listed that looked interesting, but the sellers' photos weren't very good. I noticed the seller was in Italy (as was the coin). When I looked up the coin to verify the Certificate, I saw there was a TrueView image available. That was a WOW moment. I immediately purchased the coin (Buy it Now) at a reasonable price. It took 3 weeks for the coin to arrive, but no big deal. Who knows how or why that coin made it to Italy.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 said:
    How about a little color?

Is it some sort of tab-toned? Interesting way, Eldo, for the color to be distributed like that!

WAY COOL

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2023 4:16PM

I have conducted a brief analysis of Everyman Barber Halves in AU55 to AU58 leveraging PCGS and CAC. More needs to be done to peel back the onion including NGC pieces and a more detailed analysis of each. I am also interested in mentioning varieties. Keep peeled for a future article in the BCCS Journal.

• Tim

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

Wow!

• Options

@sedulous said:
    A newp from the GC auction tonight. I have an XF40 but thus will be an XF45 addition for the '97-P Barber Quarter:

Just arrived... re-imaged:

• Tim

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS VF-20 and CAC approved....

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have photos of one Barber half in my neglected Barber half collection until I found another photo on an NGC certification page. Two other Barbers are at PCGS being graded, so I'll have those TrueViews soon as well.

NGC VF20 1901-S - it looks to have nice details for a VF20, IMO.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2023 12:45PM

I have a crusty '01-S Barber Half as well. This one came out of an old time blue Whitman folder. PCGS VG10:

My '03-O:

• T

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    1892-S Barber Half in PC58 from the grading set. Pictures courtesy of PCGS:

Love the 1892-s!!!

• Options

@paesan said:
    My favorite sleeper date in the dime series, PC-35...

That 1909-s dime is a tough coin in fine and better. I think still undervalued! Nice piece!

• Options
    edited March 20, 2023 1:10PM

@JeffMTampa said:
    In effort to bump this thread up a bit, here's my 1898 S Barber Quarter:

I found this one in an ANACS AU 58 holder a few years ago.

Not the hardest to acquire but it is somewhat tougher in high-end AU. Nice pick-up Jeff.

• Options

PCGS AU-50, pix courtesy Barberkeys...

• Options

Here's my '07 S Dime with a RPM:

• Options

Jeff, I'm no expert, but it looks like shelf doubling. I've had a few 1898-S quarters like that.

Here's a newp that I just added...PCGS AU-50

• Options

@paesan said:
    Jeff, I'm no expert, but it looks like shelf doubling. I've had a few 1898-S quarters like that.

Lenny- I looked at the coin again- you are correct; it's shelf doubling. Good eye!

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I snagged this one from Liz Coggan this morning, thanks to a tip by Tim @sedulous This addition brings me to needing just 5 to complete the certified set.

• Options

@jedm said:
    I snagged this one from Liz Coggan this morning, thanks to a tip by Tim @sedulous This addition brings me to needing just 5 to complete the certified set.

That center mintmarked '95-S is unreal Jed! Rare and beautiful. . Amazing! Congratulations!

• T

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:

@paesan said:

That 1909-s dime is a tough coin in fine and better. I think still undervalued! Nice piece!

Check out 1907-S in VF35. There are 6 PCGS 1907-S @ $75 vs. 15 1909-S PCGS @ $230. The 1907-S is plentiful in the AU grades; but, otherwise comparable scarcity at much lower price point.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2023 3:06AM

@DisneyFan said:

@semikeycollector said:

@paesan said:

Check out 1907-S in VF35. There are 6 PCGS 1907-S @ $75 vs. 15 1909-S PCGS @ $230. The 1907-S is plentiful in the AU grades; but, otherwise comparable scarcity at much lower price point.

Hi Disney Fan,

Thank you! I will check this out. I love to learn about sleepers. I did a lot with Seated sleepers, when they were less expensive. I know Barbers, but not expertly, however someone had a a nice F 1897-O Barber quarter for $46 at a club show. I came to the show late and made that transaction pronto!

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

someone had a a nice F 1897-O Barber quarter for $46 at a club show. I came to the show late and made that transaction pronto!

Great date for type coin price!

• Options

A very recent newp... same source as @jedm. 1912-S in PC35:

• Tim

• Options

I recently picked up a raw 1895 S Barber Quarter with the center MM as well:

The center MM on the '95 S Quarter appears to be quite scarce, even in the low grades.

I have a couple others in higher grades and have reviewed high quality photos of others. I didn't see differences in the MM position- they all seemed to be identical. That is until I see the piece that @jedm posted today- the MM appears to be in a different position (closer to the "R" in QUARTER). That demonstrates that there were at least 2 reverse dies used; are there others? Does anyone else reading this have a high grade 1895 S BQ with the center MM?

• Options

@JeffMTampa @jedm Jeff and Jed, an important and wonderful topic on understanding fully the 1895-S center MM quarter positional perspectives. I believe Rich Dula, or maybe another author, broached this topic in a BCCS article a number of years ago.

After looking through a number of specimens, the quantity of '95-S and '97-S quarters with centered mintmarks were in the same spectrum of scarcity or rareness-levels... per the article I am recollecting.

• Tim

• Options

Here is another new newp. A good-looking 1892-S Barber Quarter in PCGS XF45. Once again, same source as @jedm Jed's recent purchase. Quality stuff! IMO.

• Tim

• Options
    edited March 31, 2023 6:21AM

A set of New Orleans Barber Quarters? might be fun while avoiding the big 3.. https://www.numismaticnews.net/archive/o-for-a-new-orleans-quarter-set

• Options

This newp I purchased last year but it only just arrived today after a number of complications. Grateful it arrived safe and sound! The 1911-S is a semi-scarce date. PCGS VF30 and it fits very well in my VF30 #2 set out on the Registry.

• Tim

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:

Very nice 95-S! Liz has wonderful material. I picked up the final coin in my PCGS VF Barber quarter set from her, a nice VF20 13-S. It was in NGC plastic but I crossed it over to our hosts. Really a nice example. Liz has a great eye. She was happy to hear it completed my set!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@Dave99B Dave, congratulations on that '13-S quarter. I saw that on her site, nice coin!

• Options

A pair of Everyman 1892-O quarters...

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2023 8:10PM

How about the luster on this 09? i think it is pretty good!

• Options
    edited April 3, 2023 4:47PM

@Eldorado9 said:
    How about the luster on this 09? i think it is pretty good!

Blows me away Eldo! and a Hansen as well!

• Options

Thanks @sedulous ! I know you can appreciate a Barber like that one! I'm willing to ignore the trivial marks (they look much worse in the photo than in hand) when the luster is soooo magnificent. I've had a couple sharp numismatists look closely at this coin and we think it is likely original, never dipped. It does have some subtle toning. I tracked it to the John Hugon collection, where it must have had a nice home amongst his other outstanding pieces.

• Options

A flock of eagles!

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ex. Eliasberg.

• Options

These two were not in the Hanson collection.

• Options

That's an excellent purchase of a nice raw coin!

I like the 1900-O more than the 1892-S. To me, it's very original looking while the 92-S may have been gently cleaned or wiped long ago. Of course, value-wise the 92-S is three times more valuable than the 00-O. It was a risky purchase with the seller stating, "no returns" back when that meant no returns. Both were nice purchases of raw coins off eBay.

I stopped collecting Barber halves because so many sellers on eBay back then were hiding hairlines and cleaning. Also, the competition for nice, graded Barber halves was ferocious. The SLH were a 'friendlier' world back then for buying raw coins on eBay.

• Options

@Barberian Thanks for the kind words on my 1901-P in XF... it is actually bordering on AU50 so an XF45+ in this instance would be great!

Like the '01-P, below is even another raw newp originating out of Philadelphia. Perhaps you have found (like I have) how difficult the '08-P is to find in unmessed with mid-circulated grades. I like my 1908-P Barber Quarters in more of an original, "uncleaned or processed" condition like this one:

• Tim

• Options
    edited April 6, 2023 6:10PM

Here is another raw newp dated 1911-P in XF for a Barber Quarter:

• Tim

• Options

Here is a Barber Dime picked up recently by Jon P. He wanted to ask for any commentary related to what you might think is going on with this coin?

Quote:
    "I just picked this up off ebay (David Kahn). There is actually more inside the “0”, but I couldn’t pick it up with my camera. Have (any of) you ever seen a 1908-S like this?"

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Here is a Barber Dime picked up recently by Jon P. He wanted to ask for any commentary related to what you might think is going on with this coin?

Quote:
    "I just picked this up off ebay (David Kahn). There is actually more inside the “0”, but I couldn’t pick it up with my camera. Have (any of) you ever seen a 1908-S like this?"

Other than the RPD, is there something else to be looking for? Is the MM re-punched as well?

• Options

This 1914-P Barber Quarter in XF rounds out my little grouping of newps from the wild...

Happy Easter everyone!

• Tim

• Options

Here's a new Quarter pickup that arrived in the mail:

A little dark, but lots of color. Looks like a 58 perhaps?

• Options

@JeffMTampa I concur with your 1895-P AU58 assessment. However, take a careful look at the surfaces once it arrives as images can be deceiving sometimes. - Tim

• Options
    edited April 9, 2023 4:04AM

Here is an oldie to move the thread. I purchased this 1910-S Barber Half with the slightly lesser-seen more-to-the-left mintmark placement (obviously carries no premium for having that placement) in 2011 for $39.50.

What do you think is going on above Liberty's phaegean cap? It has a raised area, almost like a clash. I will see about following up with this post to provide an improved picture:

The San Francisco mintmark is over the center-of-the letter "D" in DOLLAR opening (also known as the D counter).

Why don't I do this, let me share with you letterform typography descriptors for Barber coinage from a forthcoming book I am working on (includes this subject). Point is to find some commonality (uniformity) with how industry names these things:

Have a nice Easter Sunday celebrated holiday.

• Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file