Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    @JeffMTampa I concur with your 1895-P AU58 assessment. However, take a careful look at the surfaces once it arrives as images can be deceiving sometimes. - Tim

Those are my images- the Eagle has landed.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

@sedulous said:
    Here is an oldie to move the thread. I purchased this 1910-S Barber Half with the slightly lesser-seen more-to-the-left mintmark placement (obviously carries no premium for having that placement) in 2011 for $39.50.

What do you think is going on above Liberty's phaegean cap? It has a raised area, almost like a clash. I will see about following up with this post to provide an improved picture:

• Tim

I see what looks like a hair over the cap- is that what you're referring to or is there something I'm missing?

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2023 8:08AM

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:
    Here is an oldie to move the thread. I purchased this 1910-S Barber Half with the slightly lesser-seen more-to-the-left mintmark placement (obviously carries no premium for having that placement) in 2011 for $39.50.

What do you think is going on above Liberty's phaegean cap? It has a raised area, almost like a clash. I will see about following up with this post to provide an improved picture:

• Tim

I see what looks like a hair over the cap- is that what you're referring to or is there something I'm missing?

I will take better pictures later but I see this in the field above the cap. Looks a bit like a die crack, through the W, as well to the rim.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Here is an awesome newp that just arrived this afternoon. A very tough 1909-O Barber Quarter PC30. Nice coin!

• Tim

• Options

Here is a recent newp that I obtained based off of Jeff's @JeffMTampa 's recommendation. Jeff said it was one of only a few opportunities and I should pounce on it:

• Tim

• Options

@LogPotato @Barberian @paesan or anyone else, who is going to the CSNS central states show?

• Options

I still see a hair….> @sedulous said:

Here is a recent newp that I obtained based off of Jeff's @JeffMTampa 's recommendation. Jeff said it was one of only a few opportunities and I should pounce on it:

The 1913 S Half in AU 58 has a PCGS POP of 19 coins. Examples don't surface often.

• Options

Thank you Jeff. The '13-S was nicer in hand than what was seen in the auction pics.

Here is a companion to that '13-S. A low mintage 1914-P Half Dollar in PCGS AU58:

• Tim

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭

@sedulous I will not be attending, but sure would love to someday.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2023 7:34PM

This quarter pick-up has some amazing color. Some may even consider it undergraded and deserving a higher grade! The 1896-O Barber Quarter is a better date:

"Blushes of powder blue and golden-russet iridescence hug the peripheries and provide superior eye appeal at the BU grade level. As with all early date mintmarked Barber issues, the 1896-O quarter is typically encountered in the lowest circulated grades. Mint State survivors are scarce to rare at all levels of preservation."

• Tim

• Options

This one is from Lenny @paesan and I appreciate his willingness to sell me this coin. I love the '99-S Barber Quarter as a date! PCGS VF25:

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still love this little 1896. not much color, but its pretty.

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    I still love this little 1896. not much color, but its pretty.

Wow, beautiful luster. Nice job Eldo!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    This one is from Lenny @paesan and I appreciate his willingness to sell me this coin. I love the '99-S Barber Quarter as a date! PCGS VF25:

That's one sweet 99-S! One of the semi-sleepers in the series, esp in VF. Beautiful!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Here's a new pickup:

This has the relatively scarce center MM.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2023 9:44AM

@sedulous said:
    A very recent newp... same source as @jedm. 1912-S in PC35:

• Tim

Perfect mid-grade example of a better date!

• Options

@semikeycollector said:

@sedulous said:
    A very recent newp... same source as @jedm. 1912-S in PC35:

• Tim

Perfect mid-grade example of a better date!

Does anyone know what collection these came out of? It gives me a @Dave99B vibe like the Barbers he collects. So nice.

• Options

"CONECA RPM-4" was stated by Jon for this 1914-D Barber Dime:

"I found this beauty on ebay last week. This is the CONECA RPM-4. Really neat variety."

• Options
    edited April 21, 2023 7:10AM

Check out the Coin World May 2023 issue on page 48-49, 52 from Michael Fahey on Barber Quarters!

• Options

i like this obverse shot of my 1908-s. it really shows off the clean fields.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2023 9:50AM

@Eldorado9 said:
    i like this obverse shot of my 1908-s. it really shows off the clean fields.

Whoa, beautiful toning near the rim along with pleasing luster! Nicely done Eldo as always! This is what Stack's says:

"Among the Finest Known

Extraordinary Quality

1908-S Barber Half Dollar. MS-67 (PCGS). CAC. OGH.

Beautiful champagne-pink and reddish-apricot toning is seen over frosty surfaces, with subtle hints of powder blue at the peripheries. Both sides also display a superior strike and expert preservation -- everything one could hope for in a Condition Census survivor of this key date issue.

The 1908-S has a mintage of 1,764,000 pieces and, as a 20th century Barber half dollar issue, ostensibly should be easy to find in most Mint State grades. Yet, as David Lawrence (1991) notes, it is "underrated because of fairly high mintage." In other words, its true scarcity is overlooked. The 1908-S, in fact, is a close second to the 1907-S in terms of Mint State rarity among late date Barber half dollars. Far finer than normally seen, even in the most exceptional cabinets, the Eliasberg-Miller specimen will attract much attention in this and future market appearances.

From the Larry H. Miller Collection

Provenance: From the Larry H. Miller Collection. Earlier ex our (Bowers and Merena's) sale of the Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection, April 1997, lot 2117.

PCGS Population: 2; 0 finer.

CAC Population: 1; 0."

• Options

@sedulous Thank you buddy! I need you as an editor! This coin really is Barber royalty, and it certainly looks the part. Thanks Again!

• Options

1911-D Barber Quarter Details (due to some reverse damage)... moving the thread:

I also have a newp I will post later as it is arriving later in the week.

• Options

Rumor is a '14 S RPM Half might exist, Here's one without a RPM:

Does anyone have a '14 S Half that might have a re-punched MM?

• Options
    edited April 25, 2023 7:22PM

@JeffMTampa said:

I know the source and I am positioning myself for pictures of said coin on Thursday at the CSNS!

@JeffMTampa Beautiful coin by the way Jeff.

Here are a couple of '14-S MM close-ups to gauk at and comment on. What do you see?

• Options
    edited April 28, 2023 4:21AM

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's a new pickup:

This has the relatively scarce center MM.

A lightly or minimally toned specimen with nice luster Jeff. Mintmark centered and shifted ever-so slightly right with slight counter-clockwise oriented shift in position.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Here is a newp that just arrived today. A 1906-D Barber Quarter PC30:

Dang, that one has 'the look'. Well done!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2023 7:41PM

@Dave99B Dave, thank you for your comment. Coming from you, I am glad you find the '06-D to be of your liking... that carries weight with me!

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

I know the source and I am positioning myself for pictures of said coin on Thursday at the CSNS!

@JeffMTampa Beautiful coin by the way Jeff.

I have the '14-S Half Dollar now imaged.

Confirmed by varieties@barbercoins.org to NOT be a new, undocumented S/S variety. If there is a '14-S/S Barber Half dollar out there, we haven't found it yet or it hasn't been submitted to the BCCS Varieties team for study.

The "not a 1914-S/S Barber Half" images are below. The pictures were taken at the BCCS booth at CSNS on Thursday, April 27th, 2023. All things considered, we find the coin to be very nice for a circulated grade regardless:

Here is a little bit closer look at the mintmark:

• Tim

• Options

@sedulous looking at the photos of your 06D, it seems the dies might be slightly rotated. The obverse prong is "centered" but the reverse is a bit "off center". Maybe this is normal on BQ's but never noticed it before

• Options

• Options
    edited April 30, 2023 1:03AM

@LogPotato Nice analysis. So you use stars 5 and 8 for the obverse and the wingtips for the reverse to provide orientation? is that relationship a relative "0" degree angle on other specimens (a "correct" orientation)? I would be interested in learning more about correct design intent in relation to die alignment. From that, you can then properly count degrees of rotation in between the two angle indices.

• Options

I am no expert and I'm not going to pretend to be one. Like I said above, it may be a common thing on Baber quarters, but it's the first time I have seen one with such a noticeable difference between the eagle and the head of the obverse.

• Options

Nniiiccceeeee,,,,

• Options

@Grantu said:
    New pickup for me and a new favorite in PR66+.

WOWZAS

• Options
    edited May 4, 2023 7:42PM

This recent pick-up was not easy to come by (an off-brand holder and not NGC):

Guess the Grade?

• Tim

• Options

I Know the grade that was assigned so I won't spoil. Gorgeous coin!

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

35-40

Rob
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

50, or details with the obverse scratch. With NGC it could be anything from 35-55 though. Nice coin! Congrats. A very difficult half.

• Options

Here's a new pickup- an 1899 BQ in an old ANACS XF 45 holder:

I purchased it because it looked like it might have a RPD- the last "9". Inside the bottom loop there's what looks like the bottom loop of another "9", but there's no corresponding image above the last "9". Thoughts?

• Options
    edited May 5, 2023 9:24PM

@JeffMTampa
    Jeff, I took some time to dwell and study your '99. I cannot come away with the idea of a recut 9 although it could be possible but why only the lower portion? As you zoom in, it looks like a well-placed cut-scratch. Also, it looks differently raised as a curved line inside the counter in the upper portion of the 9 vs. the 'scratch'

• Options
    cjdilegocjdilego Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

Here is my 1900 NGC MS64 with a green CAC sticker in an old holder. I cannot decide what to do with it? Send it in for restoration? Cross over? Any suggestions?

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a 64 holder with a CAC sticker. I suggest enjoying as is.

• Options

@cjdilego said:

Here is my 1900 NGC MS64 with a green CAC sticker in an old holder. I cannot decide what to do with it? Send it in for restoration? Cross over? Any suggestions?

Restoration??? What is it that you are feeling needs "restoration" in that coin? Crossover is only for one reason usually... you need a certain holder to finish a Registry collection. Other than that, there is actually more value keeping the older holder with CAC sticker (more interest generated for a buyer). I know people that will pay more due to the older holder. I sold a commem to a guy in California, for instance, that was building a collection of older holder-only specimens.

• Options

Keep that 1900 Quarter as-is. Very nice Type II OBV paired with a Type III REV.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please don't 'restore' that beautiful 1900 quarter!

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@sedulous said:
    This recent pick-up was not easy to come by (an off-brand holder and not NGC):

Guess the Grade?

• Tim

Here is the reveal:

PGA holder (not NGC) says it is an AU58.

PGA is obviously wrong, best guess before crossover would be an AU50-like coin that is ultimately downgraded net XF45 because of the scratch. The field scratch is just not enough to issue a Details-scratched grade IMO. A 10x loupe approach to the scratch would not do the coin justice since it is not bad enough to warrant "Details".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file