Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:

@JeffMTampa Great example of the 1895-S Jeff! They certainly are hard to find.

Jed- The MM position of your ‘95 S looks slightly different from the one on Tim’s and my coins ( but the photo is a bit blurry). Does it look different when you look at it with magnification?

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Local coin shop grab. Looks like a toned-over old cleaning to me when rotating the reverse in the light... of course I only see it after taking the coin out of the 2x2:

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2023 3:19PM

1892-P Barber Quarter Type 1 Reverses have various levels of filled S's in STATES. This coin has them filled quite extensively. What I am asking here if anyone has an 1892-P quarter with NO filled S's? (Must be a Type 1 Reverse where the first star in the field is tilted left).

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa I tried to lighten up the pic of the 1895-S
    It seems to me that both your and Tim's examples have a radially aligned MM they are slightly tilted to the left (aligned with the eagle's tailfeathers) whereas the one on my example seems to be horizontally aligned with the horizontal shield lines.

• Options
    edited August 24, 2023 11:13PM

Side by side close-up comparison. 1895-S Barber Quarter Center Mintmark positions:

Jed (would like some improved detail pics if we can get'em Jed)

Tim

Jeff

Jed MM position looks different than Tim's and Jeff's MM position (confirm we are exhibiting the same MM position for these last two?)

• Options

Recently imaged earlier today. A nice 1908-D Barber Quarter PC55 CAC:

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend! Did anyone find a new 1909-S Inverted S Barber Quarter yet? Just came out in the latest Cherrypicker's book release.

• Tim

• Options

@Dave99B said:

@Redglobe said:
    I like to call them the triplets......
    '96-S,01-S,13-S in any grade that catches my eye (G to Fine+++) and the dates 97-S,01-O,09-S,10-D and the 12-S in the grades XF-45 to AU 58

Love the triplets! I'm also a big fan of the 05-O and O6-O in original F-XF. Great coins everyone!!!

Dave

1905-O Barber Quarter XF45 CAC

• Tim

• Options

Sorry guys it took a while and some nudging, but I got a better shot of the mint mark placement on the 1895-S quarter.

PCGS XF 40

Edited to add: @sedulous Tim I think that 1905-O Barber Quarter would look as great in my set as it does in yours!!

• Options

@jedm Thanks for sharing Jed, much clearer. Tim

• Options

Newly imaged...

The 1908 and 1908-D Barber Dimes are rife with repunched dates (RPD's). So much so, I don't believe anyone has taken an accurate accounting or a closer look at all the variations possible.

• Tim

• Options
    edited September 8, 2023 9:35AM

I received another batch back from the grading room this morning. This 1892 quarter fortunately DID receive the DDO recognition. Jeff's shows a recut "W" and looks doubled but not the same as mine. Alrhough not as pronounced, it still has doubling so I don't know why his didn't pass the muster. Jeff's is very nice none-the-less...

@JeffMTampa said:
    It's been quite a while since I posted a new purchase. In May I sent in 4 raw Barber Quarters for grading- all came back with straight grades (whew). Here's the first of the bunch:

This was submitted for variety attribution, DDO (Double Die Obverse). It does have a DDO, but apparently not the one PCGS is looking for:

• Tim

• Options

This one didn't straight grade cross due to the small scratch in the field in front of the bridge of the nose, otherwise a tough coin in this AU grade... 1901-S AU Details - Scratch:

For me, it was a toss-up as to whether this scratch was significant enough... a decent coin otherwise. I will be eventually looking to part with this coin at a reduced rate it looks like.

Unfortunate thing to a nice coin. It currently sits in a PGA AU58 straight-grade holder.

• Tim

• Options

Here's my 1906 O Half. Nothing new- just one I like....

• Options

I'm surprised to see the "Mumps" effect on that 1908 Philadelphia Half! I don't believe I've seen that on a "P" mint Half previously.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 01-O half is a very tough coin to find. Congrats.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:

Thank you Buddy. Yes, the 1901-o is a really tough issue, and routinely flat struck, especially that right side of the eagle. This one is MS-66 CAC, and has a pedigree going back to James Stack.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 said:

@No Headlights said:

Thank you Buddy. Yes, the 1901-o is a really tough issue, and routinely flat struck, especially that right side of the eagle. This one is MS-66 CAC, and has a pedigree going back to James Stack.

In my experience the 93-O strike can be terrible. But you are correct, many 01-) halves have a soft strike. Your coin is excellent.
    Jim

• Options

Sold in early 2018, the Centurion Collection 1908-O Barber Half (image courtesy of PCGS CoinFacts)... PCGS MS67 CAC:

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:
    A shout out to Tom Bush for his great Barber half article of some years ago. I am following his example to the best of my ability - a challenging project!

From David Kahn Rare Coins, 1900 - PCGS VF35

Nice coin, GTB! A powdery white, original beauty! And another @TomB Barber half disciple. TomB nicely described the rarity and desirability of originality in collecting Barber halves in a couple of articles that he had posted on his webpage. I was just getting back into the hobby via eBay and starting a Dansco collection of midgrade Barber halves when I saw them. His articles not only conveyed his passion for original Barbers, but articulated so clearly what I was looking for in coins in general. I highly recommended read (on TomB's website) for anyone interested in Barber coins.

1900-O P25 found raw on eBay for "peanuts" from England.

Unfortunately, because of the scarcity of raw, original Barber halves in mid-grades, and my difficulty in interpreting eBay photos almost 20 years ago, I eventually switched to collecting raw seated Liberty halves. I still like Barber halves but feel that the best grades for completing a nice, original Dansco collection off of eBay are VG-F coins.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

Here is another nice Barber Half. This one exhibits some periphery toning. This 1904 Philly just returned from the grading room.

• Tim

• Options
    edited September 11, 2023 7:27AM

That's a really nice looking half Tim!
    I'm waiting on the following. An 1894 O with center mint mark. It's been an open hole in my Dansco for a really long time:

• Options

@jedm said:

That's a really nice looking half Tim!
    I'm waiting on the following. An 1894 O with center mint mark. It's been an open hole in my Dansco for a really long time:

Interesting Jed...

Obviously there are far-right versions of the '94-O but I have about 3 identified for center positions... a high center, a low center, and one that is slightly more to the right than center and closer to the D in DOLLAR. Will need to get better pics than these:

• Options

I noticed that one (1894 O ctr mm) sold yesterday on eBay, a VG-10 and the seller was @JeffMTampa. That one must've sold in minutes of posting.

• Options

The ‘94 O center MM that I sold was a spare; I currently have is this AU 55:

As Tim pointed out, there were at least 3 different center MM dies used for the '94 O, making it a bit easier to find than the '95 O center MM.

The coin I sold did sell within hours of listing- I guess I sold it too cheap (just a little over the PCGS listed price). The coin was purchased raw for $32 several years ago, but with grading fees I had $56 into it (the coin netted about $40). At the time of purchase I was thinking of collecting all the MM positions. This is a lesson on spending money on lower dollar value coins....

• Options
    edited September 13, 2023 8:36AM

I have imaged my 3 known '94-O MM centered positions:

Type 1: High O

Type 2: Low O

Here are a couple more far right O's

• Tim

• Options

Full images of the aforementioned 1894-O Barber Quarters from the Sedulous collection:

XF45

XF45

XF45

XF40 CAC

XF40

• Tim

• Options

Recently returned from PCGS after its 3-month internship:

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Full images of the aforementioned 1894-O Barber Quarters from the Sedulous collection:

XF40 CAC

• Tim

Wow! All of them are gorgeous!

• Options
    edited September 16, 2023 7:32AM

I finally got a Trueview of this 1892-O counterstamp R that I've been wanting to photograph and show off for a few years. This coin caught my eye at the West Coast Coins table at the January 2020 FUN show. I had to have it for its color and scarcity. Except for the large capital R, it is almost hit and mark-free. And no Abe Lincoln jokes, please!

I grade it VF15-details. The coin is a bit darker in hand.

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

Barberian, I have seen that counterstamp half many times and always enjoyed that coin. I first met Revick and did a bit of mentoring starting when he was 15 years old buying bags of wheaties and then selling wheat cents on ebay. The running joke between us was me teasing him he didn't need to put his initial on his coins! He has built quite a business well beyond what I could have imagined now, as have Weston and Nelson who bought my shop a bit over 2 years ago. It's great to see a new generation of dealers moving forward, yet still loving coins like us old guys. Glenn

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2023 4:39PM

@PonyExpress8 said:
    Barberian, I have seen that counterstamp half many times and always enjoyed that coin. I first met Revick and did a bit of mentoring starting when he was 15 years old buying bags of wheaties and then selling wheat cents on ebay. The running joke between us was me teasing him he didn't need to put his initial on his coins! He has built quite a business well beyond what I could have imagined now, as have Weston and Nelson who bought my shop a bit over 2 years ago. It's great to see a new generation of dealers moving forward, yet still loving coins like us old guys. Glenn

I have enjoyed my brief interactions with him as a seller. Haven't had much of a chance to chat with him, though, at shows as he's been very busy. I "owe him one" for the last purchase I made with him. I appreciate the break he gave me on an 1887 a year ago. He definitely remembered the 1892-O half with the counterstamp R when I mentioned it. I think it's a very attractive coin and noticed it immediately in its glass case. I kept looking at it, comparing it with other coins in the case on sheer attractiveness, and decided that I cannot walk away without it. It's definitely one of my favorite coins along with my chopmarked 1857-S.

• Options

Here's the other Barber half submitted. An F12 1896-O.

• Options

@PonyExpress8 said:

Very nice story, by the way. Are you still working in the shop in an emeritus role? As you say, it's fun to see this hobby catch on with younger generations. It's something to consider when I sell my coins.

• Options

Here is a store card-type counterstamp "STERLING KNIFE CO NEW YORK" on a Barber Half Dollar from 1894 New Orleans:

• Tim

• Options
    edited September 16, 2023 9:53PM

Here is a newp that recently arrived. This 1913-D Barber Half Dollar in PC58 is encased in a slightly older-style holder. Pleasing color:

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

Barberian they keep me around 3-4 days a week. I still get to play with coins! :) Nice counterstamp sedulous they are fun.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options

This one came along with the '13-D just posted:

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are a couple barber halves i pulled out of a whitman folder years ago and set aside. Any thoughts from the barber guys on if/what they would grade?

The scratches on the 1914 are not as bad in hand as the picture shows, but i was thinking that would still get it a details.

• Options

VG-10 VG-8 and XF-45

• Options

VG 10, VG 8, and AU 55

• Options
    edited September 24, 2023 12:58PM

@humanssuck Somewhat agree with Jed and Jeff. VG10 (1915), VG08 (1914), and AU53 (1907).

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys for the opinions. I was on the fence between grades for all 3 of them depending on the day i looked at them:
    1915 VG 10 or F12
    1914 VG8 or VG details (scratched)
    1907 XF45 or AU50

Im planning on sending those in fairly soon, ill post grades eventually next year when they get back from pcgs.

• Options

@humanssuck said:
    Thanks guys for the opinions. I was on the fence between grades for all 3 of them depending on the day i looked at them:
    1915 VG 10 or F12
    1914 VG8 or VG details (scratched)
    1907 XF45 or AU50

Im planning on sending those in fairly soon, ill post grades eventually next year when they get back from pcgs.

I think you’ll be pleased with the results.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file