Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, it’s a tougher one with a little over 600 K mintage. This example has an older weathered look- nice.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this recently arrived newp. It is a die with mumps showing there is not much life left in it:

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Wowww...very tough coin,don't see that grade very often.Congrats

Rob
  • Options

Here is a little something purchased raw from my local shop. 1888 V Nickel Choice BU with blazing reverse luster. Light pastel tone.

• Options

Great find!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was the lucky winner on this one tonight! Will fill the slot in my date set and full set!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Was the lucky winner on this one tonight! Will fill the slot in my date set and full set!

Amazing 05-S Jason!!!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I need to try and save up to find a nice 94, 95 and 96 for the date set!

• Options
    edited March 12, 2024 1:54AM

Moving the thread, here is my 1905-S dime in XF45 PCGS CAC holder:

EDIT: a little bit of mintmark doubling visible at the top of the S serif.

@erwindoc exquisite color on your higher-graded Barber Dime Jason! I agree with Dave @Dave99B. - Tim

• Options

A year ago, I did a toughness analysis for Everyman Barber Half Dollars. Here is approximately the Top 20 Toughest Barber Half Dollars data:

The lower the number the tougher the coin.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

New addition for my PCGS set:

I kinda like this date & mint mark, but I'm to the point where I let one go for the one that I add.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2024 12:41AM

@JeffMTampa As Jeff knows, I have only more recently been collecting Barber Halves (a few every so often) as I get to the end of my quarter pursuits. The '14-P is one I actually have:

EDIT: This is what StacksBowers said about this coin in March 2023: "Handsomely original surfaces exhibit gently mottled overtones of reddish-russet to a base of antique silver-gray. Sharply defined with a smooth, satiny texture. This is a challenging issue to collect in all grades save for the very lowest, as the mintage is a mere 124,230 circulation strikes, and few were spared the rigors of heavy commercial use. Provenance: From the Abigail Collection"

• T

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just posted - 1910-S VF35

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    stevefromnestevefromne Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    @JeffMTampa As Jeff knows, I have only more recently been collecting Barber Halves (a few every so often) as I get to the end of my quarter pursuits. The '14-P is one I actually have:

EDIT: This is what StacksBowers said about this coin in March 2023: "Handsomely original surfaces exhibit gently mottled overtones of reddish-russet to a base of antique silver-gray. Sharply defined with a smooth, satiny texture. This is a challenging issue to collect in all grades save for the very lowest, as the mintage is a mere 124,230 circulation strikes, and few were spared the rigors of heavy commercial use. Provenance: From the Abigail Collection"

• T

Tim, the 14P is spectacular ; takes it's place alongside the 97S. Are you building an AU58 set ?

Steve

• Options
    edited March 22, 2024 6:41PM

@Barberian Nice color on the '10-S Half! it does have the more common slight-right-of-center mintmark placement.

@stevefromne Hi Steve, good question. There are a number of great Everyman Barber Half sets out there already (including yours). I don't know if that sort of pursuit would be something of a successful reality when there are so few specimens available to collect (if I were to pursue 58's). I love the design and value of a 58 over unc... and I do have 50's to 55's that I am happy with. Overall, I am happy and content with what I have been able to find to date. Thank you all for your kind words related to the key or important pieces I have been able to glean out of the numismatic circuit thus far. I appreciate the mentoring received from @JeffMTampa as well.

My concentration and energy is currently with BCCS Varieties and building more knowledge around Barber collecting in general. I care about advancing our Barber community and their people who collect, like all of you. I will be at the CSNS BCCS table (May), WFoM in August, and FUN come January 2025.

Tim

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    My re-imaged 1903 Philadelphia quarter. I like it...
    Sourced from @paesan January 2021.
    It is getting harder to find nice coins like this:

1903-P Barber Quarter PCGS XF45

Nice. The scarcest "P" mint Barber Quarter

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    A year ago, I did a toughness analysis for Everyman Barber Half Dollars. Here is approximately the Top 20 Toughest Barber Half Dollars data:

Thanks for posting this. This is a nice, quick reference guide to the harder dates.

• Options
    edited March 23, 2024 5:01AM

@JeffMTampa said:
    A new pickup arrived in the mail today- a 1900 S Barber Quarter. This coin features a Type I OBV paired with a Type III REV, This hub combination is quite scarce. I've found a few lower grade examples, but prior to this acquisition my set had an AU Details coin in this slot. Now it's an AU 58!

Thanks Tim for finding this coin for me!

Still mesmerized by this Type I/III Jeff. It is just as rare in this configuration as the following year issue yet no attention was put on the 1900-S I / III 25c. We are only recently rediscovering these characteristics along with Charles Rose, et.al. Not many people understand the importance of this find Jeff!

Amazing, amazing coin!

Tim

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2024 8:53AM

@sedulous said:

I don't see the 1893-S, 1892-S, and 1892-O for that matter.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

The '93 S, '92 S, and '92 O didn't make it onto the top 20 "tough" list, but here are my examples to view:

• Options
    edited March 23, 2024 4:32PM

@Barberian said:

@sedulous said:

I don't see the 1893-S, 1892-S, and 1892-O for that matter.

Looking at PCGS-graded
    SUM of XF45,AU50,AU53,AU55,AU58
    1892-O has 223 grading events
    1892-S has 145 grading events
    1893-S has 101 grading events
    SUM of XF45 Only
    1892-O has 39 grading events
    1892-S has 39 grading events
    1893-S has 22 grading events
    SUM of AU50 Only
    1892-O has 28 grading events
    1892-S has 19 grading events
    1893-S has 14 grading events
    SUM of AU53 Only
    1892-O has 32 grading events
    1892-S has 17 grading events
    1893-S has 14 grading events
    SUM of AU55 Only
    1892-O has 55 grading events
    1892-S has 27 grading events
    1893-S has 24 grading events
    SUM of AU58 Only
    1892-O has 68 grading events
    1892-S has 42 grading events
    1893-S has 26 grading events

Each of these is much more than the "Top-20" dates. Of course, this analysis limits NGC, ANACS, etc. It is directional, however and gives an estimate of toughness. I am challenging traditional knowledge with this data, I know. The 1892-O, 1892-S, and 1893-S seems less tough than other dates.

• Tim

EDIT: Considering Everyman XF to AU.

• Options
    edited March 23, 2024 4:41PM

Here is my '93-S which is prooflike, PC58, and showing a lower population than the '92-O and S:

I would rather have an '01-O than this coin in 58 if I had to choose for toughness.

Tim

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Here is my '93-S which is prooflike, PC58, and showing a lower population than the '92-O and S:

I would rather have an '01-O than this coin in 58 if I had to choose for toughness.

Tim

Me too!

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@sedulous said:

As a younger collector, the 2nd Barber Quarter I ever collected was a 1903-P in F12. The first one was an 1898-P in F12.

This coin, mentioned by @ Disney
    Fancame from @paesan Lenny in January 2021:

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@DisneyFan said:

@sedulous said:

As a younger collector, the 2nd Barber Quarter I ever collected was a 1903-P in F12. The first one was an 1898-P in F12.

It was my father's birth year so I'm always on the lookout for 1903s. I had to get this one.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

New addition to the set....Really like this one. MS-65 CAC Ex Eliasberg

• Options

@Eldorado9 Eldo, sensational!

• Options

@valente151 said:

Bumping this thread to the top in Mike's honor, with one of his former coins in his favorite grade and favorite toning style.

Not only is a beautiful coin, but it’s also the rare Type I OBV paired with the Type III REV. There are very few of those left in collectible condition. Thanks for posting it!

Any idea who’s collection it’s in?

• Options

Thanks Tim
    Much appreciated!

Rob
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2024 4:58PM

Looked more closely at the 1898-S mintmarks (quarters) then compared them:

• Tim

• Options

Lower position on the MM on the one I sold to you

Rob
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2024 5:07PM

Here is a newp that arrived today. The reason for obtaining it is for the possibility it is the first "non"-RPM I have ever encountered of a 1907-S Barber Quarter. I want to reserve judgement until @JeffMTampa Jeff gets a more microscopic look at the mintmark with his extreme macro set-up.

1907-S Barber Quarter ANACS VF35

• Tim

• Options

Happy Easter!
    Here's one of my latest finds in the "egg hunt":

• Options

Here's a Barber Quarter that I might not have previously posted from the first year of production:

• Options
    edited March 31, 2024 4:12PM

Edited because my initial comment was on an auction currently in progress, but on second thought I think it's best to wait till all the bids are in and auction is over.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2024 5:47PM

OOPS

• Options

A 1916-P in PCGS (in the grade of VF30) just sold for over $590 after BP considered on GC tonight! Wow, that is way over CoinFacts value estimate. POP in that grade is 6. It made me think about re-imaging my 1916-P in VF - so I did that. If I sent this coin to PCGS, think I could get a VF30 grade?

1916-P Barber Quarter in VF

• Tim

• Options

I noticed that 1916-P when it was bid up to $100. A real head scratcher, for sure. No way I expected it to end up anywhere near $600. Goofy. Maybe just a case of three bidders in a battle to the death?

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Possible thought of mistaken bidding on the wrong 1916 quarter

Rob
  • Options

@Dave99B said:
    I noticed that 1916-P when it was bid up to $100. A real head scratcher, for sure. No way I expected it to end up anywhere near $600. Goofy. Maybe just a case of three bidders in a battle to the death?

Dave

Dave, It is making me think the coins in average circulated grades (the nice coins out there) are increasingly getting more scarce or harder to acquire. $600. is crazy money vs. value guides. @jedm and I were wondering if there is something about that specific coin we are missing - say a variety or equivalent? - Tim

• Options

@JeffMTampa Jeff, that '92-P BQ is 🔥! I love the way that edge toning plays near the periphery of that reverse.

Here is another re-image. A 1900-O Barber Quarter in NGC XF45. Where do you think the '00-O sits in the overall relative ranking of rarity for the BQ series? middle of the pack? more rare? or more common?

• Tim

• Options

Tim, oddly enough, I had trouble locating a nice original 16-P for my PCGS VF set. Mine is a VF20. Most PCGS examples I found were dipped white. Unattractive examples. I think it was one the final coins I found for my set. Crazy!

Dave

• Options
    edited March 31, 2024 7:58PM

@Dave99B said:
    Tim, oddly enough, I had trouble locating a nice original 16-P for my PCGS VF set. Mine is a VF20. Most PCGS examples I found were dipped white. Unattractive examples. I think it was one the final coins I found for my set. Crazy!

Dave

I agree with you on the 1916-P quarter being elusive. I don't see the VF grade up for sale hardly at all. Perhaps the GC auction cost this evening was an "opportunity buy".

Mine is a VF25 in NGC and was purchased August 22, 2013 from DSS Coin and Bullion for $37.01 + $2.99 for shipping ($40 all in). Grateful.

• Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file