Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Follow-up on my 1893-S Barber Quarter with centered mintmark. Historically have been told there are two mintmark positions including the centered version.

For the far right position, I believe my XF45 PCGS (used to be NGC AU53) is slightly different. Check it out:

More Scarce
    PCGS #45893927 (my coin)

More Common
    PCGS #45945543 (pulled off CoinFacts)

Does anyone else have the more scarce version?

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's another '93 S center MM position:

The MM is further right; perhaps a RPM?

I need to take better photos of this coin.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2023 8:25PM

@JeffMTampa Jeff. Definitely a different MM position. Doubled mintmark? yes. S/S N.

Here are the varieties for the "93-S known so far:

Yours is S/S (RPM-N).

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the various mint mark positioning aspect of collecting these quarters.Those are some nice '93 S examples. I have two with the centered S and one of the slightly harder to come by right mint mark. yet not the elusively unusual slightly canted S mark of yours latter posted Tim.
    Here's a new addition I'll be adding to my certified set. A type 1 '92 S:

• Options

My '93 S right mint mark:

• Options
    edited June 9, 2023 1:44AM

@jedm said:

Yep, the less rare of the two right MM's... thanks for sharing Jed. That '92-S... does it have a rev. partially filled S on STATES? What is the grade?

I am still looking to find out if my '93-S is unique or at least rare to some extent.

Regarding the '92-S... yes! the '92-S with the first S in STATES can have a partially filled S. Let me show you what to look for:

Here are the images of the front and back:

Notice it is a Type I Reverse like Jed's:

• Options
    edited June 9, 2023 6:13PM

@jedm said:

Here is some additional '93-S information for the Barber Quarters. The far right S #1 is shown in depiction from from the David Lawrence text:

101 is the faint and distant very far right S/S (RPM-far to E). 102 is the RPD 1893/93 S (RPD-S). The 3rd panel shows the far right S position #1. #2 far right position is currently unique (but probably not).

• T

• Options

@sedulous Tim the '92 S is graded at AU-53.

• Options

@jedm said:
    @sedulous Tim the '92 S is graded at AU-53.

Tougher date, nice AU grade!

• Options

Tim- I think I might have a '93 S MM position that matches yours:

Or maybe not- it's a minor difference.

I need to re-shoot my quarters. Bad photo.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2023 10:23AM

1901 New Orleans Barber Quarter as a lower-end AU-newp in off-brand PGA holder. Just arrived.

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

XF-40 Details
    Possible cleaning and scratched??
    Tough coin none the less

Rob
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2023 2:50PM

@Redglobe I was going to call it XF45 Details since it has enough headband ribbon detail for it but it may NET to 40 due to surface nicks / scratches in a number of locations.

Here is another pick-up with natural toning. Common date Type II Reverse 1892-P in PCGS XF45 holder:

EDIT: Looks like there is obverse letter doubling.

• T

• Options

In effort to bump the thread, here's the 1900 S Half in my set:

Sort of proof-like surfaces. This date MM is a bit tough to find in upper condition; many of the "S" mint coins were shipped to Asia in the early 1900's- and then this earthquake thing happened....

• Options

@JeffMTampa Jeff, your MM is slightly over the end of the "D" in DOLLAR. Here is my '00-S Barber Half (did not CAC sticker here recently by the way) in PC58 (older holder) to compare. Notice how my MM is left of Jeff's. Jeff's being Prooflike, looks to be an earlier striking. More desireable as such IMHO. Thanks for sharing Jeff.

• Tim

• Options

Re-took these pictures. The 1898-O Barber Quarter is one of the tougher, scarce date in the series. This one is in an XF45 PCGS holder.

• Tim

• Options

They don't come any nicer than that one Tim!

• Options

Here is another image retake for Friday morning for your enjoyment. 1896-O PC30 CAC Barber Quarter. A nice look to this coin:

• Tim

• Options

The Pennsylvania cousin for 1896... XF40 PCGS Barber Quarter:

• Tim

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    The Pennsylvania cousin...

At the risk of going too far off topic, as someone from the above state, I have never heard of this term. Or is it as simple as that's where you bought it from? :D

• Options

Philadelphia Mint

• Options
    edited June 23, 2023 2:36PM

@LogPotato J - Actually bought that 1896-P BQ in PC40 from Lenny Rizzo about April 2020. Florida.

@JeffMTampa Correct Jeff, Philly, PA.

Another re-image and another April purchase. This one in the year 2012 from Heritage that hammered at $375. Interest obviously has gone up over the years. Lowest graded of my BQ '09-O's... this one with added CAC sticker. Nowadays I guess this is called an "older" holder. EDIT: The reverse is rotated about 5% clockwise off-center from the obverse position (my rough estimation).

• Tim

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

Over thought it...whew. I really thought there was something there. :D

Here's a coin to distract everyone from my brain lapse.

• Options

@LogPotato said:

Nice coin!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't posted to this thread in ages. Some of you that have been around a really long time might remember what happened, but that's not why I'm posting. When I came back, I fell down a different rabbit hole, and so the Barbers and the Liberty Nickels (and some of the things that escaped that situation) went on the back burner.

Anyway, I recently sent some stuff to PCGS and it arrived home this week.

I don't know if Kale @kalshacon is still around, but this coin was still here with me, and as we both thought way back when, in April of 2010 when I bought her from you, she was a legitimate shot 63.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2023 8:19PM

@pursuitofliberty Nicely toned '05-S!

I finally was able to get an S over slightly twisted S FS-501 for the 1907-S Barber Quarter. This one is from Lenny Rizzo and is PC40:

• Tim

• Options

Here is a recently received newp. It is so nice, it makes me think it is possibly undergraded. 1905-P Barber Quarter in NGC AU58. Luster.

• Options

Received a batch back from our host's grading service. This 1914-P BQ was awarded an AU50 grade by PCGS. Looking closer, the second S in STATES has this sandwich fill area which I never seen anywhere before. Interesting!

Here is the full coin:

• Tim

• Options

I've seen that "sandwich" fill "S" on many Barber Quarters. The "post" in the die separating the portions of the letter was too thin and broke off easily. Here's my '14 BQ that I've had for many years:

The fill on this example looks a little different. Is it due to wear? Die state erosion? Or just a different die with the same condition?

• Options

Interesting @JeffMTampa

• Options

Comparing the shape of the Cuds, I think the two coins above were struck from two different dies.

• Options

Here is a brand new PCGS AU53+. A 53+ for the 1901-P Barber Quarter is new to the population.

• Tim

• Options

It's fun to get a "+" designation!

In an effort to bump the thread, here's the Barber Half that non-collectors consider the key to the set:

I purchased this coin from J. J. Teaparty in 2015 housed in an NGC AU 58 holder. @paesan notified me of the opportunity. I sent it to PCGS for crossover and likely held my breath the whole time it was there. It crossed at the same grade; I was thrilled. Fond memories....

• Options
    edited June 30, 2023 11:17AM

@JeffMTampa said:
    It's fun to get a "+" designation!

In an effort to bump the thread, here's the Barber Half that non-collectors consider the key to the set:

I purchased this coin from J. J. Teaparty in 2015 housed in an NGC AU 58 holder. @paesan notified me of the opportunity. I sent it to PCGS for crossover and likely held my breath the whole time it was there. It crossed at the same grade; I was thrilled. Fond memories....

What in the world Jeff? The TrueView looks way off compared to your picture. Are you sure it's the same coin?
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/30397284
    Photo courtesy of PCGS:

What do you think happened?

• Options

Yep, the same coin. Back when I crossed the coin the photos cost extra. I didn't pay for the TrueView, but PCGS took the photo posted anyway- I guess for record purposes? It's a great example of a really bad coin photo!

Here's photos of the coin in it's NGC holder:

and the J. J. Teaparty listing photo:

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff,
    I agree 100%. The 04-S is overrated as to scarcity, overpriced also. In high grade circ there are several coins that are tougher. 96-O, 97-O, 01-S, 01-O just off the top of my head. Nice coin!
    Jim

• Options
    edited June 30, 2023 6:03PM

@No Headlights Jim, I always cringe on the fact that the exorbitant '04-S expense is a necessary evil to fulfill one's collection. Uhgg. I dislike that fact immensely! I would much rather have the halves you mention.

Tim

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    @No Headlights Jim, I always cringe on the fact that the exorbitant '04-S expense is a necessary evil to fulfill one's collection. Uhgg. I dislike that fact immensely! I would much rather have the halves you mention.

Tim

Tim,
    You are right on the money. I have assembled two sets of XF-AU halves. The 04-S is somewhat difficult, but nothing more than that iMO. Fun series if you concentrate on truly original problem-free coins, not just market acceptable it's a good challenge.
    Best wishes.
    Jim

• Options

Based on the discussion of the '04 S Barber Half high value compared to other coins in the set, I was curious if that has been historically true. I found my 1967 Redbook to look up the values from 56 years ago. Back then there were no TPG coins, no numerical grades, no such thing as "AU", and only "Unc" (not multiple MS grades). Since there were no "AU" values listed I chose the "XF" grade for research purposes. Below are the coins valued at $80 or higher:

• 1892 S-$80
    • 1896 O- $90
    • 1896 S- $125
    • 1897 O- $115
    • 1897 S- $115
    • 1901 O- $125
    • 1901 S- $200
    • 1902 S- $85
    • 1903 S- $100
    • 1904 S- $125
    • 1914- $90
    • 1915- $95

Back in 1967 the '01 S had the highest value at $200 followed by the '96 S, '01 O, and '04 S all tied at $125. Clearly the '04 S was not considered the key date to the set at that time. It's interesting to see that the '03 S was valued higher than the '96 O. The "Unc" prices followed a similar pattern. I wish I had an older price reference guide to see older historical values.

What happened between 1967 and 2000 (or so) to elevate the value of the '04 S to be considered the "key" to the set? Why was the '03 S considered so valuable at the time? Was it the POP reports from the TPG's?

• Options
    stevefromnestevefromne Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Based on the discussion of the '04 S Barber Half high value compared to other coins in the set, I was curious if that has been historically true. I found my 1967 Redbook to look up the values from 56 years ago. Back then there were no TPG coins, no numerical grades, no such thing as "AU", and only "Unc" (not multiple MS grades). Since there were no "AU" values listed I chose the "XF" grade for research purposes. Below are the coins valued at $80 or higher:

• 1892 S-$80
    • 1896 O- $90
    • 1896 S- $125
    • 1897 O- $115
    • 1897 S- $115
    • 1901 O- $125
    • 1901 S- $200
    • 1902 S- $85
    • 1903 S- $100
    • 1904 S- $125
    • 1914- $90
    • 1915- $95

Back in 1967 the '01 S had the highest value at $200 followed by the '96 S, '01 O, and '04 S all tied at $125. Clearly the '04 S was not considered the key date to the set at that time. It's interesting to see that the '03 S was valued higher than the '96 O. The "Unc" prices followed a similar pattern. I wish I had an older price reference guide to see older historical values.

What happened between 1967 and 2000 (or so) to elevate the value of the '04 S to be considered the "key" to the set? Why was the '03 S considered so valuable at the time? Was it the POP reports from the TPG's?

Hi Jeff,

Here are the XF values from the 1963 Red Book (most unchanged):

1892 S-$80
    1896 O- $90
    1896 S- $125
    1897 O- $110
    1897 S- $115
    1901 O- $125
    1901 S- $200
    1902 S- $75
    1903 S- $100
    1904 S- $100
    1914- $75
    1915- $95

Bonus : 1892-O Micro O - $ 125

Steve

• Options

Thanks for posting those values, Steve!

• Options
    edited July 3, 2023 6:57AM

I won this VF30 last night on GC. Only three more holes to fill in my PCGS set:

• Options

Here is a recently arrived newp. A 1903-O Barber Quarter PC45:

• Tim

• Options

Here is another. I needed an improvement for the '04 BQ slot:

• Tim

• Options

A little more rim toning with this '05-P Barber Quarter:

• Tim

• Options

I liked the quality of this 1906-D Colorado Barber Quarter so I picked it up as well:

1906-D Barber Quarter PC45

• Tim

• Options

Moving the thread... 1896-O Half and Quarter!

1896-O Barber Half PCGS AU58 CAC

1896-O Barber Quarter PCGS XF45

1896-O Barber Quarter PCGS VF30 CAC

• Tim

• Options

Those are a couple of nice looking '96 Os Tim!
    To keep the thread on the first page, here's a recent pick up with the kind of look I really like, for my small NGC collection of quarters:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file