Home Sports Talk

2022 College Football thread

Comments

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2023 3:02AM

@Goldenage said:
    Georgia is beginning to feel like 1995-97 Nebraska.

They’ll bend, but won’t break.

SEC 4 titles in a row.

SEC’s top 4 teams final bowl games this year. 204 points for. 48 points against.

51-12 against the other conferences
    best teams.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Georgia - one targeting call from losing to the Buckeyes.

My final top 10

Georgia
    Michigan
    Ohio State
    TCU
    Penn State
    Tennessee
    Washington
    Tulane
    Alabama
    Florida State

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭

Coolstanley,
    Just more whining from you, not any schooling involved. Of course, you somehow had Michigan ranked ahead of TCU in your final top 10 even though they lost to them head to head less than 2 weeks ago. That is next level cluelessness. I am surprised you didn't have OSU & Penn State co-#1s since OSU should have won if only they didn't lose and Penn State did win their last game of the season.

You complain about me bashing the B10, they are the ones that are 1-7 in their last 8 CFP games. You are what your record is. Maybe if they could win there would be less bashing. You bash the SEC continuously even though they actually show up in the CFP (10-0 in their last 10 semifinal games).

As for who other than the B10 should be represented in the CFPs? Literally anyone. Any top 10 team would do better than the B10 has in the CFPs since OSU won their last national championship. Eight bites at the apple and one victory plus a nonstop whine-fest.

I would love for the B10 to actually start being good in games that mattered. I think the SEC dominance gets dull. We will see if the new format for the CFP allows the B10 to stop sucking so bad when playing the elite teams in college football.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone claim home field advantage for the entirety of SEC country for any SEC team playing there. Your argument seems to be that any game played in the South translates to home field advantage for any SEC team playing. That is nonsense. That said, Georgia playing in the Peach bowl was definitely home field advantage, of course OSU could have actually won their conference and not been matched up with them.

I can remember in years past how you claimed ad nauseum that if only the B10 got 2 teams in the CFPs, things would be different. That the SEC only wins because they get unfairly invited to the playoffs. Yet the two B10 teams wet the blankets when they both got invited. In this age of the CFP, the B10 didn't belong. We will see what happens in the next.

Robb

edited January 10, 2023 5:41PM

''' you somehow had Michigan ranked ahead of TCU in your final top 10 even though they lost to them head to head less than 2 weeks ago. That is next level cluelessness.''

Than by your logic the polls are clueless because they have Bama ranked ahead of Tennessee.
    I ranked Michigan over TCU because Michigan has a better record.

You keep bashing the BIG TEN getting in two teams, yet TWO BIG TEN teams finished in the top 4 in the final rankings.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

My final top 6:

Georgia
    Ohio State
    Michigan
    Alabama
    Penn State
    Tennessee

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Latest word is that Pac-12 may only add one team and that is it. The feeling by the AD's is that the league will be much more competitive by not expanding to so many teams that the other power 5ers are doing. Also though, there is really not much out there to get anyway, no universities west of Denver that are top in both sports and academics that are not already in a power 5 conference, I am sure that both are important to the conference which is built on being the strongest research universities in the west. This year the Pac-12 had 6 strong teams and even some of the bottom tier teams were hard to beat. With the exception of the 2 traitor schools, Pac-12 hence fared well in the bowls.

In 2023, most of the elite qb's in the Pac-12 chose to not enter the draft. Also, Oregon State landed an elite qb from Clemson in the transfer portal, so Oregon, Oregon State, Traitor Mew Ess See, U dub, Wazzoo, Utah, all have experienced, college elite qb's. The problem is that the Pac-12 is strong across the upper half and tend to beat each other, then are penalized for it in the CFP rankings.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

Coolstanley,
    Yes, the polls are clueless. Of course, even they didn't have Alabama ranked higher than Tennessee the week after they lost to Tennessee.

The fact is the B10 lost in the CFPs like every other year since OSU won almost a decade ago. In the end, despite all your protestations they are 1-7 in their last 8 CFP games. The numbers are there in black and white for all to see. There is a ton of B10 bias these days, giving the B10 conference leaders way, way too much credit. Hopefully, next year a B10 team redeems the conference and wins it all. Until then, top B10 teams are just paper tigers that fold as soon as they have to play under the bright lights against the best teams in the country when it actually matters.

Robb

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Coolstanley,
    Yes, the polls are clueless. Of course, even they didn't have Alabama ranked higher than Tennessee the week after they lost to Tennessee.

The fact is the B10 lost in the CFPs like every other year since OSU won almost a decade ago. In the end, despite all your protestations they are 1-7 in their last 8 CFP games. The numbers are there in black and white for all to see. There is a ton of B10 bias these days, giving the B10 conference leaders way, way too much credit. Hopefully, next year a B10 team redeems the conference and wins it all. Until then, top B10 teams are just paper tigers that fold as soon as they have to play under the bright lights against the best teams in the country when it actually matters.

Robb

Lemme ask - if Georgia is correctly penalized - or the hit doesn't take place at all - for the hit on Harrison, do you think they still beat Ohio?

@Tabe said:

@fergie23 said:
    Coolstanley,

Robb

Lemme ask - if Georgia is correctly penalized - or the hit doesn't take place at all - for the hit on Harrison, do you think they still beat Ohio?

Exactly. Not to mention the two Buckeyes touchdowns that were overturned, and the targeting call against Shawn Wade in the Clemson game.

But its no use trying to debate a troll.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@Tabe said:

@fergie23 said:
    Coolstanley,

Robb

Exactly. Not to mention the two Buckeyes touchdowns that were overturned, and the targeting call against Shawn Wade in the Clemson game.

But its no use trying to debate a troll.

I should mention that I HATE Ohio State. I'm a Michigan guy. These posts of mine make my eyelid twitch, LOL. Can't help it - Ohio got hosed and I won't ignore that.

It's not like the OSU teams suck every year, they just happen to get beaten by better teams. The bigger point should be that they keep having success and reaching the playoff every year when most teams have success and then slip away to rebuild before making another appearance in the playoff. That's nothing to be ashamed of. That's what has been impressive about the run by Alabama with Nick Saban. Look at Clemson, they had a few good years but now have slipped away. The same can be said for teams from the PAC 10 and BIG 12 and teams from the SEC and BIG 10: they make the playoffs, fall away and don't make it back for a few years.

Like the old saying, it's better to be a Has Been than a Never Was.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

[ I should mention that I HATE Ohio State. I'm a Michigan guy. ]

That explains it!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@Maywood said:
    It's not like the OSU teams suck every year, they just happen to get beaten by better teams. The bigger point should be that they keep having success and reaching the playoff every year when most teams have success and then slip away to rebuild before making another appearance in the playoff. That's nothing to be ashamed of. That's what has been impressive about the run by Alabama with Nick Saban. Look at Clemson, they had a few good years but now have slipped away. The same can be said for teams from the PAC 10 and BIG 12 and teams from the SEC and BIG 10: they make the playoffs, fall away and don't make it back for a few years.

Plus the fact that there were recent years where they were a one loss team and got left out.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited January 17, 2023 12:31AM

BTW its no wonder SEC teams are always ranked higher in the polls. Nick Saban voted Alabama #2 in the final rankings. I'm actually surprised he didnt put them at #1 :D

Ignore list -Basebal21

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2023 8:21AM

I finally got to watch the second half of the Georgia vs OSU game the other day.
    I had heard about the targeting and the missed field goal.

But, there is one play I hadn't heard about, CoolStan never mentioned it.
    With less than 9 minutes in the game Georgia had the ball at their 24, trailing 38-27.
    Georgia calls a pass play and the OSU defender (#12) trips over his own feet and falls down....76 yard TD.

To me that was the play that cost OSU, but Cool never mentioned that.....I wonder why?

And here comes all the whining from the OSU/B10 folks. There are missed calls in every game though I think the targeting call looked like a shoulder to shoulder hit from the DB (not helmet to helmet) and I didn't see any angles that showed clear contact to Harrison's head/neck or the Georgia player hitting with the crown of his helmet. You can get a concussion without direct contact to the head as well. Of course, the all American OSU QB could have not put Harrison in a position to be decked and knocked out of the game. There are injuries in every game. It is only OSU that doesn't seem to be able to overcome them in CFP games.

Harrison getting knocked out of the game definitely hurt OSU but injuries are part of football. If you can't adapt and overcome then you lose, simple as that. Didn't OSU manage to win it all with a 3rd string QB the first year? The resident OSU super fan certainly spent a lot of time crowing about it. Why couldn't anyone on the OSU offense or defense step up after Harrison was injured?

The one constant in the CFP since OSU won the first one is that the B10 team(s) will underperform and CoolStanley will write about how the refs missed a call, the other team had home country advantage, the close calls all went against the B10 team, whine, whine, whine. Just win, it is as simply as that but at 1-7 we all know the B10 was simply overmatched against the elite teams in college football during this era of the College Football Playoffs.

I do think the new format for the CFP will help the B10 teams as they will be able to get some momentum and experience on the big stage playing a lesser team so that they don't crumble as often against the top competition.

Robb

@fergie23 said:

Here comes all the whining

Robb

True.
    You won’t hear it from Brick and Coinkat though.

They are the adult Big 10 fans here.

Was Saban whining when he said OSU got screwed by the refs?

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

What does Saban know, he picked Bama #2, as you said earlier.

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

That wasn't a surprise. He thinks his team should be in the playoffs every year.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

That wasn't a surprise. He thinks his team should be in the playoffs every year.

They should be. Can't do worse than BIG10 teams.

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

They beat a 5 loss BIG 12 team this year by a whopping one point.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

Yep. Their big boys 0-4 against the other big boys.

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

@coolstanley said:

We'll take it.

I know a team that would have loved a whopping one point victory.... B)

Just read that Georgia OL Devin Willock was killed in a one-car crash shortly after a parade celebrating the National Championship in Athens, Georgia. Very sad...................... :'(

https://collegefootball.nbcsports.com/2023/01/15/georgia-ol-willock-recruiting-analyst-lecroy-killed-in-wreck-after-title-celebration/

@Steven59 said:

After that 5-loss B12's team lost their starting QB to injury when he dominating the game before exiting.

@fergie23 said:
    And here comes all the whining from the OSU/B10 folks. There are missed calls in every game though I think the targeting call looked like a shoulder to shoulder hit from the DB (not helmet to helmet) and I didn't see any angles that showed clear contact to Harrison's head/neck or the Georgia player hitting with the crown of his helmet.

The rule doesn't require helmet-to-helmet or leading with the crown of the helmet.

All it requires is an upward motion into the head or neck area of the recipient. The defender DID turn as he was initiating contact but he was still in an upward motion - he left his feet - and still made helmet-to-helmet contact as is clearly seen here:

100% should've been a penalty.

edited January 19, 2023 6:14AM

Less than 2 weeks until final signing day. SEC has 9 of the top 20. Bama has EIGHT 5 Star players.
    Seems Harbaugh was more interested in the NFL than he was with recruiting for Michigan.

This is all important but in the "new NCAA" it doesn't carry as much weight as in the past. The most important tool no longer belongs to the Head Coach and the school he represents, it belongs to the individual player in the form of the Transfer Portal. To that end, I think the Transfer Portal is more important tool for schools that aren't in the "elite class" such as Alabama. Nick Saban does all the hard work to get the player and then he moves on to Podunk State after his sophomore year because he isn't getting the playing time and might not get drafted.

Like I said, welcome to the New NCAA!! :/

@Tabe said: 100% should've been a penalty.

I thought it was strange that the officials called just targeting. It's common on plays such as that for them to call "unnecessary roughness" or "unsportsmanlike conduct" and then to review the play for the targeting. That's sort of common during the regular season. I'm sure it'll be one of the plays that the NCAA reviews in the off-season with officials, not so much because of how it affected the outcome of the game but because of the safety to players. Anything in the head-neck like that needs to be discouraged if not eliminated to avoid any Darryl Stingley incidents.

edited January 20, 2023 1:35AM

Interesting stat -- The conference with the most 10 wins or more teams this year was the PAC 12.

Ignore list -Basebal21

Ignore list -Basebal21

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems to be more of an indictment of the timetable associated with polling and those participating in the polls than anything else. I call BS based on what likely is preseason for those within the first 4-5 weeks of the Season that simply favor traditional powerhouse programs. If you look back at some of the seasons Ohio State had since 1968, one can simply ask how the team could possibly have been ranked to begin with. And in all fairness, other programs including USC and ND that get the benefit of many doubts at the beginning of the season in terms of getting an undeserved ranking.

Lets call out this type of crap for what it... nothing more than a WPA project to keep a bunch of sportswriters something to write about. Just eliminate polls until about week 6- give every team a chance to prove themselves worthy of being ranked.

That would hopefully curb much of the unnecessary BS.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@coinkat said: Lets call out this type of crap for what it....................
    --- It tends to be BS for fans who would support a team through anything and fans who would criticize a team through anything. In other words, it tends to be BS for the far ends of the spectrum. For everyone in the middle it can be interesting to study and come up with an explanation.
    If you look back at some of the seasons Ohio State had since 1968
    --- I did that and while they did have some pretty lean years, low in the Polls, they still managed to have a winning record. It's interesting that most of the seasons when the Buckeyes weren't ending up high in the Polls it was with two Head Coaches, Earl Bruce and John Cooper, both of whom struggled against Michigan. Cooper was 2-10-1.

Michigan has fired co-offensive coordinator Matt Weiss. Weiss is currently being investigated for, essentially, computer hacking. He apparently used school computers to try and access email accounts he shouldn't.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

OH! Times that by the price of beers/foods at the Concession stands -

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@coolstanley said:

No UCLA ?

😉

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood

Seems as if you might be expecting a response. To be clear, I am not picking on Ohio State. Most can agree that their program has been very successful and is among the best historically. I am just opposed to preseason and early polling as traditional powers get the benefit should there be doubt on the part of sports writers. As I pointed out, Ohio State is not the only program that has benefitted from preseason and early season polling. The 1988 squad finished 4-6-1 and suffered a September loss to Pitt 42-10 and an early October loss to Illinois 31-12 followed by a 41-7 loss to Indiana. While the 1989 squad had a better season, a 42-3 loss to Southern Cal followed by an early October loss to Illinois 34-14 simply did not support a top 20 ranking...And the 2001 squad was questionable.

Again... I admire and respect the immense success of the Buckeye program, I just do not see the polling information based on timetables of when polls/rankings were done to make the argument that the ranking is representative of a team's accomplishments within a season. So in terms of consecutive appearances in a poll as what we see in the Fox CFB misses the mark.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

It seems that the Polls do address your concern because the actual one that matters, for the National Championship and the play-offs, doesn't happen till mid-season. As to the rest of your complaint, I think I sort of agree with you and I've been vocal about that in this thread. It's ridiculous that the best teams don't play each other and that they schedule early opponents which are a cake-walk. I also don't think that Sportswriters with bias are the best ones to rank teams and the "committee" of however many isn't any better, maybe worse. Maybe I'm one of the few that believes some type of computer rankings should be used with parameters that could be so extensive as to comprehend the actual schedule weakness we humans seems to see. I bet if that was used we'd see some changes in how the best schools find opponents.

Strangely, nine of those games have been played inside of that same circle. The location of the games outside of the circle hasn't really changed the outcome.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited January 26, 2023 11:53AM

@coolstanley said:

Holy Cow Cool....157 draft picks, that's amazing.
    During that same time period Bama has won 6 National Championships and OSU 2.
    Could you say that Saban gets more with less?

BTW, 2022 in the NFL

edited January 29, 2023 9:46AM

Let the implosion begin.

Good job Georgia QB :/

Ignore list -Basebal21