Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 12:30AM

@TopcatCoin said:

Is this a recent re-release?

Were they recently available from Dan.

If anyone has one for sale please PM me.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a long time fan of Dan's products, first getting a copper Amero in I believe 2008 and have near slavishly bought his issues since then (only occasionally budget restricted) but one small negative bit is highlighted by this 1948 DC Frankie: as obviously is his privilege he apparently has sold such on through intermediary vendors and others - and there are more as readers are aware - making them relatively less available to his "base" customers. It is only my opinion but it to some degree lessens his brand to his loyal followers and also dilutes the brand.
    Don't get me wrong, and it is not sour grapes, I really appreciate his efforts and his products but just do not personally care for these sales not available to his "base". I don't like the US Mint model of privileged dealers or others and has turned me away from them to some degree as well; I realize our opinion(s) do not contribute directly to his bottom line, but am just voicing some of my sentiment....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 8:25AM

@GRANDAM said:

@TopcatCoin said:

I already asked TopcatCoin once…… and all he did was copy from Dan’s website………. He did not say where he bought it from…………. I had already seen it on Dan’s webpage, I already knew it was “ commisioned by (a) distributor ‼️
    We “ might “ like to know who the distributor was‼️‼️‼️‼️🎯🎯🎯🎯

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    I am a long time fan of Dan's products, first getting a copper Amero in I believe 2008 and have near slavishly bought his issues since then (only occasionally budget restricted) but one small negative bit is highlighted by this 1948 DC Frankie: as obviously is his privilege he apparently has sold such on through intermediary vendors and others - and there are more as readers are aware - making them relatively less available to his "base" customers. It is only my opinion but it to some degree lessens his brand to his loyal followers and also dilutes the brand.
    Don't get me wrong, and it is not sour grapes, I really appreciate his efforts and his products but just do not personally care for these sales not available to his "base". I don't like the US Mint model of privileged dealers or others and has turned me away from them to some degree as well; I realize our opinion(s) do not contribute directly to his bottom line, but am just voicing some of my sentiment....

The problem with this is we don’t know the details. I have always wanted a fantasy Mormon gold piece and have actually thought about reaching out to Dan to see if a commissioned piece of say 5 pieces would be possible. I know I’d be a little irritated if I did that and then he produced 100 more and sold them. Unless of course that was the agreement. I’m not sure how Dan handles that but I think it’s absurd to think everything be makes has to be offered to his base customers.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 12:54PM

@GRANDAM said:

According to the catalogue entry, they were produced in November 2021, and made for a private distributor. This means that Dan makes the commissioned items for a third party, who then do with them as they wish - typically resale (but it may be possible that some commissioned works are just kept entirely private after Dan delivers the items). I've seen 'commissioned' pieces on the CCN site, but I imagine that there are other distributors and other sites....I just don't know the who and where for sure.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:

I see it two ways: 1) as you do - a bit frustrated that I see an item in the MM catalogue that I really like, but cannot buy it directly from MM, but also 2) one of the great parts of coin collecting, IMO - the hunt. The hunt to find that particular item is part of the fun of it for me. (I'm a delayed gratification guy.)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 9:49AM

Hmmm, pretty aggressive there (nk1nk) and missed my point nearly entirely. My point was that if he does the "one offs" that it will dilute his market and those of us that HAVE BEEN THERE for 10, 12 or more years left out of the cold. So it is absurd to use "absurd" as a term. And BTW, Dan has had some very limited issues that did improve his brand such as the overstruck $20 Conffederate gold or the "CAL" pieces....
    My point, kind sir, is that it is obviously his choice as to what he does with issues but that it runs the risk of diluting the market - which may or may not be important.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 10:44AM

@SPalladino said:

@GRANDAM said:

According to the catalogue entry, they were produced in November 2021, and made for a private distributor. This means that Dan makes the commissioned items for a third party, who then do with them as they wish - typically resale (but it may be possible that some commissioned works are just kept entirely private after Dan delivers the items). I've seen 'commissioned' pieces on the CCN site, but I imagine that there are other distributors and other sites....I just just know the who and where for sure.

OK that explains it. I overlook the commissioned by distributor note.

Thanks

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Hmmm, pretty aggressive there (nk1nk) and missed my point nearly entirely. My point was that if he does the "one offs" that it will dilute his market and those of us that HAVE BEEN THERE for 10, 12 or more years left out of the cold. So it is absurd to use "absurd" as a term. And BTW, Dan has had some very limited issues that did improve his brand such as the overstruck $20 Conffederate gold or the "CAL" pieces....
    My point, kind sir, is that it is obviously his choice as to what he does with issues but that it runs the risk of diluting the market - which may or may not be important.

I certainly did not intend to come off aggressively, my apologies for that.

• Options
    edited January 7, 2023 2:44AM

Love that Seated Dollar 👀‼️One of my favorite pieces ‼️🎯‼️😱‼️👍‼️🎯🎯🎯‼️

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the winged Liberty head obverse and reverse. Glad I picked up both of those.

• Options
    SatchmoSatchmo Posts: 10 ✭✭

Very nice! I don’t see those come up very often.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Got this from Zoidmeister..... B)

Amazing piece! I love these Philippine Pesos. Glad to see Zoid's pieces are making it into our forum member collections :+1:

• Options
    edited January 15, 2023 7:41PM

@Zoins said:
    Here's some more I ran across and enjoyed today, I posted this in the Dan Carr Coin Club thread, but it might get more views here:

Nice KOTCT pieces‼️‼️👍🎯👀‼️
    Are you messin’ with us⁉️⁉️⁉️Or is there really a Daniel Carr Coin Club, ( there should be),if there really is please send link‼️‼️👍‼️
    Thanks Zoins

• Options
    edited January 15, 2023 10:17PM

@Nickpatton said:

@Zoins said:
    Here's some more I ran across and enjoyed today, I posted this in the Dan Carr Coin Club thread, but it might get more views here:

Nice KOTCT pieces‼️‼️👍🎯👀‼️
    Are you messin’ with us⁉️⁉️⁉️Or is there really a Daniel Carr Coin Club, ( there should be),if there really is please send link‼️‼️👍‼️
    Thanks Zoins

Thanks! I'm really a fan of the KOTCT pieces and I always enjoy looking at them!

As for the clubs, I'm referring to the following thread which is mostly for Dan's work for other coin clubs.

Dan Carr Coin Club Medal Collectors ~ Show 'em Here !

But I did propose a Daniel Carr Coin Club on this very thread. It seemed lot of people were interested, but it also seemed difficult to get contributions, so I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to run one with low effort if it's just one person running it.

Part of the idea did come from this medal which as a "DCC" on the obverse behind Lady Liberty's neck which I like to think of as "Daniel Carr Club" ;)

• Options

Too kool….. Thanks Zoins ‼️‼️👍👍😱👀‼️‼️‼️

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2023 3:58AM

@Zoins said:
    >
    As for the clubs, I'm referring to the following thread which is mostly for Dan's work for other coin clubs.

Dan Carr Coin Club Medal Collectors ~ Show 'em Here !

I had no idea . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Got this from Zoidmeister..... B)

Love the peso o/s. Had to pass when they came out a little too pricey and I couldn’t afford it.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    SatchmoSatchmo Posts: 10 ✭✭

Dang, nice collections guys!

• Options

@Akbeez said:

Some evening eye candy: Before and after. Stunning transition!

I so wish I was on-the-ball enough to think of taking before photos of the coins that I sent to Dan. I did save the labels from the holders from which the coins were broken out.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

@Akbeez said:

Some evening eye candy: Before and after. Stunning transition!

I so wish I was on-the-ball enough to think of taking before photos of the coins that I sent to Dan. I did save the labels from the holders from which the coins were broken out.

DJD . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! I thought there had to be more 'meat' on the coin to o/s.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

The Colorized one is just plain fun... very nice!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

@LukeMarshall said:

@Zoins said:

The Colorized one is just plain fun... very nice!

I agree they are really fun! I couldn't resist!

Only 30 of colorized specimens exist. They were done by SilverTowne.

Here's the info from the Catalog:

• Options

Very nice, @TopcatCoin!
    I need only the 75-D and 75-S to complete my Moonlight Mint Eisenhower fantasy piece collection. Some day.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    I just got grades on a recent ANACS submission of Dan Carr / Moonlight Mint pieces. Very quick 6 day turn-around, with an opened date of 1/13/2023 and shipped date of 1/19/2023.

Not sure which is my favorite piece from this submission, but I'm leaning towards this one:

Nice results, a 70 on the '64.... B)

• Options

@Orlena said:
    1622-2022 Atocha 400th Anniversary, 999 Silver Cob (1 troy oz), Brilliant-Satin Finish - I didn’t see any talk about this coin. It’s unique and I couldn’t pass it up.

If this is the newest cob, it’s very good deal from Dan…… only 40 minted ‼️👍👍🎯‼️‼️👀‼️

• Options

They must like you at ANACS, Bullsitter ‼️‼️‼️‼️That’s the fastest I’ve heard of ‼️‼️👍👍👍👍‼️

• Options
    edited January 21, 2023 9:10AM

Here’s a wild piece I just acquired ‼️It’s a Wilson 1903 s Peso over strike…… but it appears that there’s a Morgan Dollar underneath it all‼️‼️🎯‼️‼️3 different strikes ⁉️
    The red insert card says its an overstruck 1903 s Pesos, and nothing about a Morgan Dollar.
    But on the obverse you can see the outline of Morgan’s lady Liberty head’s nose and mouth next to Wilson’s nose, and the peso

shield.
    On the reverse you can see the Morgan’s eagle wing span and feathers by the childs head‼️

I had to have this piece when I saw all these things going on with this piece ‼️‼️‼️👍🎯‼️‼️
    I have two of the Wilson Morgan silver dollar overstruck pieces already, but nothing like this have I seen before ‼️‼️‼️I’m wondering how this piece turned out this way, and this piece is not for sale,( it’s part of the family now)‼️‼️‼️👍🎯‼️‼️‼️
    I’ve decided to show my Wilson O/S Morgan Dollar…… to show that indeed there is a Morgan Dollar involed with this “wild strike 1903-s“‼️‼️‼️👍👀‼️👍

• Options

Still waiting for shipping notice for my Jan 3rd order. Has anyone received a shipping notice on his new stuff? This wait is almost as bad as waiting for new products.

• Options

Dan hasn’t even cashed my check yet……….. and I bet he ain’t shipping nuttin until he’s sure my check is cleared ‼️‼️👍👍🎯🎯👀‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s a wild piece I just acquired ‼️It’s a Wilson 1903 s Peso over strike…… but it appears that there’s a Morgan Dollar underneath it all‼️‼️🎯‼️‼️3 different strikes ⁉️
    The red insert card says its an overstruck 1903 s Pesos, and nothing about a Morgan Dollar.
    But on the obverse you can see the outline of Morgan’s lady Liberty head’s nose and mouth next to Wilson’s nose, and the peso
    shield.
    On the reverse you can see the Morgan’s eagle wing span and feathers by the childs head‼️

I had to have this piece when I saw all these things going on with this piece ‼️‼️‼️👍🎯‼️‼️
    I have two of the Wilson Morgan silver dollar overstruck pieces already, but nothing like this have I seen before ‼️‼️‼️I’m wondering how this piece turned out this way, and this piece is not for sale,( it’s part of the family now)‼️‼️‼️👍🎯‼️‼️‼️

>
    You may have something there Nick. It does look like a Morgan imprint but I’m not sure how it got there. It was overstruck on a Peso, that is definite. But how would a Morgan be involved? Another die set used? A question for @dcarr.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

shield.

>
    You may have something there Nick. It does look like a Morgan imprint but I’m not sure how it got there. It was overstruck on a Peso, that is definite. But how would a Morgan be involved? Another die set used? A question for @dcarr.

More than likely it is Wilson's face and not a Morgan. Double struck overstrike

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@Akbeez said:

shield.

>

More than likely it is Wilson's face and not a Morgan. Double struck overstrike

Yes, likely Wilson's face. Wasn't his nickname while in office "Ol' Morgan Head"? j/k

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited January 21, 2023 1:56PM

I still say there’s a Morgan involved in this O/S.
    When I compare the peso reverse to my Morgan O/S, you can see the eagles beak hitting the back of the little coin Angel head on both these pieces, and you can see the eagle’s wing pattern to the left of the child‼️
    I did some outlining in yellow to show this ‼️

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file