Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked this one too @SPalladino
    I went with both Clad and 40%. Also had to keep the Walking Liberty halves going with that new one.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 10:37AM

Here's a similar 2 ounce I won recently for less than their issue price from a different minter. So many dies, what to do ? Thought provoking. Easily one of my favorite archive additions in all of 2022. 5 dies struck and laser etched for a 2x spot. I dig their creativity in spite of one of 500 issue, it's a keeper. I owned nothing like it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334597640405

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the coolest part of that piece . . . . .

Zoom in and check out the inscriptions on the blades. Each descending strike was also available as individual rounds.

Z

@LindyS said:
    Here's a similar 2 ounce I won recently for less than their issue price from a different minter. So many dies, what to do ? Thought provoking. Easily one of my favorite archive additions in all of 2022. 5 dies struck and laser etched for a bit over spot. I dig their creativity in spite of one of 500 issue

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334597640405

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 337 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 9:20PM

Am I wrong to say this, or does everyone think like me⁉️
    I always want everything Dan mints……. but my resources don’t always allow me to……… therefore I have to pick and choose , and let some go by me‼️

And one defining factor in that decision is what is the mintage going to be…. and I have to say,” So Far” scares me ‼️
    And Dan does put the limited mintages down nearly all the time, that I’ve seen………… but “So Far” scares me so far, sometimes I don’t buy them‼️‼️

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 7:59PM

@Nickpatton said:
    I know brother (LindyS), I hate passing on any Daniel Carr’s , but sometimes there aren’t any resources, and the possibility to pick’em later exist.

Is it still easy to get everything by buying a few extra to resell?

• Options

@Nickpatton said:
    Am I wrong to say this, or does everyone think like me⁉️
    I always want everything Dan mints……. but my resources don’t always allow me to……… therefore I have to pick and choose , and let some go by me‼️

And one defining factor in that decision is what is the mintage going to be…. and I have to say,” So Far” scares me ‼️
    And Dan does put the limited mintages down nearly all the time, that I’ve seen………… but “So Far” scares me so far, sometimes I don’t buy them‼️‼️

I buy what I like, regardless of the mintage. If an offering doesn't fit what I like, I pass (regardless of the mintage). Collecting DC items is a hobby for me. I did learn this past weekend (at GC) that popularity plays a roll when selling. I sold off some items that had 50-100 mintage and a couple didn't even get to original offer price plus grading.

• Options
    edited December 2, 2022 6:29AM

LindyS, you did good on that one‼️‼️👍
    I lucked out on this one,( 2 days before Dans new ones came out ), this is one of his earlier club medals, with only 5 minted ‼️🎯‼️And it is the only MS68 out of all that Dan minted (silver,brass, copper) ‼️ I asked that dude if he had a copper Die pair 3,( only 2 minted), I ain’t that lucky ‼️‼️I love those low mintage pieces from Dan‼️

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503

• Options
    BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

I’m the same way Nick. I want to buy everything that Dan produces and although I spend more than I probably should, after a few months that anxiety subsides and it’s just another awesome addition to my collection of his work.
    It does not hurt that his pieces hold their value well.
    I’m hoping we will maybe get another gold token this year and I’m really hoping for a 2022 Peace Dollar seeing as how the mint couldn’t get their act together.

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

@BucketHead said:
    I’m the same way Nick. I want to buy everything that Dan produces and although I spend more than I probably should, after a few months that anxiety subsides and it’s just another awesome addition to my collection of his work.
    I’m hoping we will maybe get another gold token this year and I’m really hoping for a 2022 Peace Dollar seeing as how the mint couldn’t get their act together.

I swar Dan posted months ago that if the usmint didn't, he was going to. It could have been wishful thinking on my part, but until someone corrects me, I'm going with it.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    edited December 3, 2022 6:49AM

@LindyS said:
    I passed on the Covid issues until this one crossed my path:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175482637936

Amazing piece! I was hoping someone here got it!

Here are the photos of your piece!

• Options
    edited December 3, 2022 6:53AM

@Nickpatton said:
    LindyS, you did good on that one‼️‼️👍
    I lucked out on this one,( 2 days before Dans new ones came out ), this is one of his earlier club medals, with only 5 minted ‼️🎯‼️And it is the only MS68 out of all that Dan minted (silver,brass, copper) ‼️ I asked that dude if he had a copper Die pair 3,( only 2 minted), I ain’t that lucky ‼️‼️I love those low mintage pieces from Dan‼️

Amazing and coingrats! I just love that design!

I need to go find one now!

• Options

Love that double struck Covid‼️‼️‼️‼️👀🎯👍👍
    That’s one that would never be sold again if it was mine‼️‼️‼️‼️
    Great find on that one👍👍

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jshaulis said:

@BucketHead said:

I swar Dan posted months ago that if the usmint didn't, he was going to. It could have been wishful thinking on my part, but until someone corrects me, I'm going with it.

I just saw his post stating exactly this a few days ago, when I was searching some old posts. Back on the low to mid 180s pages somewhere.
    So let it be written, so let it be done. :p

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

@jshaulis said:

I just saw his post stating exactly this a few days ago, when I was searching some old posts.

I remember that post ad well.
    He said he needs to be sure that the mint does not issue one at the last minute.
    Fingers crossed

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2022 7:04PM

@dcarr

Should the 1st produced date be November 2022 and not Nov 2021?

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    @dcarr

Should the 1st produced date be November 2022 and not Nov 2021?

I bought this one in January of this year. Bought it raw on eBay.

• Options

I also have one of the 2016-W's that DC did earlier (but by mistake ordered another this time around).

• Options

Huh, I watch his site pretty closely and never saw these offered before.

• Options

@TomB said:
    I don't own many of the fantasy dated DC pieces, only the 1917 Peace dollar and business strike issue of the 1916 Barber half dollar, but the opportunity to get one of the PL finished 1916 Barber half dollars came up recently and I was happy to obtain the issue. It's really cool in-hand and here is an image-

Congrats! Looks gorgeous and like a winner Tom!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. I had a hard time getting an image of it as it was reflecting light in such a manner that there was a mild rainbow going across the surfaces. In fact, in the larger images that I have you can still see a hint of the rainbow in the field between GOD WE and Ms. Liberty's head.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@GRANDAM said:

Were the 2016-W Walkers originally released thru another company that Dan made them for?

• Options

@GRANDAM said:

@GRANDAM said:

Were the 2016-W Walkers originally released thru another company that Dan made them for?

Yes. I also acquired one in early 2022 or possibly December of last year.

Z

• Options
    edited December 6, 2022 3:28AM

Thanks Dan‼️🎯👍
    I was lucky to find this piece, but I’m still confused…… the first picture is in brass ( die pair 3), and this picture I’m posting is the copper one that I have, ( and it has the trees that appear to be clumps of grapes 🍇)‼️
    With the “clumps of grapes, shouldn’t it be a die pair 2⁉️

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickpatton said:
    Thanks Dan‼️🎯👍
    I was lucky to find this piece, but I’m still confused…… the first picture is in brass ( die pair 3), and this picture I’m posting is the copper one that I have, ( and it has the trees that appear to be clumps of grapes 🍇)‼️
    With the “clumps of grapes, shouldn’t it be a die pair 2⁉️

This one (just above) is Die 1 or Die 2.

This one (below) is Die 3:

• Options
    edited December 7, 2022 2:24AM

Thanks Dan‼️‼️You’re the man‼️‼️‼️👍👍🎯‼️‼️‼️‼️Can’t believe I found this one,( my new favorite “old” one)‼️‼️‼️

I’ve got add that this one is,( to me), the most important and rare piece I have, with the known history of it,( thanks Dan), and it being the first club medal that Dan did, and only two minted‼️
    And, you can tell in Die pair 3 , the quality improvement as soon as Dan had complete control of the minting of this first club medal ‼️‼️🎯👍

Any Die pair 3 is special, because it’s the first club medal that was completely minted by Dan, and there were only 22 total pieces minted in all metals‼️
    If you find or have any Die Pair 3…… you’ve found something very special and rare‼️‼️‼️

I’m taking my Die Pair 3 “brass” medal off my store (12) minted now that I know the history of the this club medal ‼️

• Options

@dcarr said:

@Nickpatton said:
    I’m thinking that 2005 Fort Collins copper medal might be rarer than I thought….. It has a reeded edge, and in Dan’s Minted Items he said all pieces were smooth edge , except for brass (0012BPR…. Or Partial reeded on the gold).
    I believe the first picture ( in brass) is die pair 3, because the details on the trees is better than all the other die pairs,(1&2)

If I’m correct, my copper must be die pair 2,( because the details on this copper are not as good as die pair 3), which means the mintage is only two on my copper ‼️‼️‼️
    I hope I’m right, but there is still the mystery of why at has a reeded edge ⁉️⁉️⁉️

The "2005" Fort Collins coin club medals were the first coin club medals that I produced. A lot happened during the project.
    At the time, I was not yet engraving steel dies directly (I started doing that in 2006). I cut 9-inch diameter acrylic models and they were sent to BEX Engraving & Mint in Los Angeles. They used my models on a pantograph to do the reduction and make the dies. The result was not entirely to my liking. Their engraving made the small trees look like clumps of grapes.

Because I did not yet have my own coin press (I got mine operational in late 2007), the dies were sent to Regency Mint in Utah for striking. The first strikes were "Die 1" brass and silver with a brilliant satin finish. Regency Mint struck these with the reverse rotated 45 degrees (in error). Apparently, the large diamond shape in the background confused them. Regency Mint then polished the dies for proof-like brass and silver strikes. But they significantly over-lapped the Ram/Goose die which resulted in a loss of detail. Regency Mint then ordered another die from BEX (at Regency's expense). Thus "Die 2" was put into production to produce proof-like strikes in brass, copper, and silver. All of those had the proper medal-turn orientation (without rotated die error and without over-lapping).

"Die 1" and "Die 2" both have the "grape clusters" for trees. Some strikes in gold were done using Die 2 in 2011. After that, all the dies were defaced and scrapped.

Then in 2013 a few more medals were desired. By this time I was doing my own engraving directly in steel, and I was also doing all the striking. So I engraved "Die 3" and made some proof-like strikes in brass, copper, silver, and gold. The brass and copper had a reeded edge (incorrectly indicated on my web page as "smooth edge" - now corrected). The Die 3 silver and gold had a smooth edge (with content marking). Die 3 has the much-improved tree detail.

The 2005-dated medals were for the club's 50th anniversary. In 2015 the club wanted 60th anniversary medals. A new obverse die was created and it was similar to the 2005 obverse but now had a Ram standing in front of the mountain. This new obverse die was paired with two new reverse dies (one showing the Fort Collins Avery House and the other showing the old Fort Collins trolley). These dies were used to produce a multitude of different varieties.

The copper proof-like medal shown above is from Die 3, and it is one of 5 minted (all 5 with reeded edge).

A few notes about the design of this medal:

Horsetooth Mountain is just west of Fort Collins and is clearly visible from most parts of the city. At the summit is Horsetooth Rock which is so named because it looks like horse molars. The central obverse design is, of course, based on the 2006 Colorado state quarter design (which was first published in 2005). The intricate diamond pattern around the perimeter of both sides, and the large diamond shape on the reverse, is in reference to the small deposit of diamonds in the mountains west of town (the only such diamond deposit in the western United States). Large numbers of Canadian Geese spend the winter in the Fort Collins area. The Bighorn Sheep inhabit the nearby mountains and they are the mascot of the Colorado State University (CSU Rams) based in Fort Collins.

Great info Dan! This is one of my favorite designs. I love the mirrored diamond which just pops!

• Options

@Nickpatton said:
    Thanks Dan‼️‼️You’re the man‼️‼️‼️👍👍🎯‼️‼️‼️‼️Can’t believe I found this one,( my new favorite “old” one)‼️‼️‼️

Thanks for all your posts on this!

One thing I love is all the details that go into specific pieces like this.

We'd never have this if you didn't buy this and start posting on it!

• Options

Can’t think of a better day to show this one off‼️‼️👍‼️🎯👀‼️‼️
    Only one like it‼️And there’s an error on it….. I didn’t notice until today ‼️👀👍👍👍Love this piece ‼️

• Options

Didn’t know that…. Never was in the military…. Thanks Dan ‼️👍‼️🎯‼️‼️

• Options

Anyone get a shipping notice yet. I'm anxiously awaiting the latest order :)

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    edited December 11, 2022 11:44AM

@dcarr said:

@Nickpatton said:
    Can’t think of a better day to show this one off‼️‼️👍‼️🎯👀‼️‼️
    Only one like it‼️And there’s an error on it….. I didn’t notice until today ‼️👀👍👍👍Love this piece ‼️

A date expressed in military style makes more sense than the typical way.
    Start with the shortest unit of time (the day), then the month, and then the longest unit of time (year).
    7/12/1941.

Europeans also put the day first.

It makes sense to be able to sort.

• Options

Picked this one up at an auction for $13 over issue price‼️Evidently they didn’t know what they were bidding on. There were only 21 of these “bag handled‼️‼️See, there’s other ways to “get lucky” 🍀 , besides females‼️

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickpatton said:
    Picked this one up at an auction for $13 over issue price‼️Evidently they didn’t know what they were bidding on. There were only 21 of these “bag handled‼️‼️See, there’s other ways to “get lucky” 🍀 , besides females‼️

Nice score Nick. That one is in good shape for being a bag handled piece..... B)

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2022 8:02PM

@Nickpatton said:

She's a heck of a lot prettier than most females found in bars!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    Zoid's Collection Reallocation Sell-off

Gents,

I've been doing a bit of introspection over the past couple of weeks. I am going to be embarking on finding new owners for my collection - no holds barred.

I haven't been shy about posting shiny trinkets I have acquired. If there is something in the mix that y'all would like to own, message me on what it is, let's talk.

I'm giving the kind folks that follow this thread first opportunity before I go to the BST or fleaBay . . . .

Cheers all.

Z

Oh no....my wallet can not handle this! We will be in touch.

• Options

@jshaulis said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    Zoid's Collection Reallocation Sell-off

Gents,

I've been doing a bit of introspection over the past couple of weeks. I am going to be embarking on finding new owners for my collection - no holds barred.

I haven't been shy about posting shiny trinkets I have acquired. If there is something in the mix that y'all would like to own, message me on what it is, let's talk.

I'm giving the kind folks that follow this thread first opportunity before I go to the BST or fleaBay . . . .

Cheers all.

Z

Oh no....my wallet can not handle this! We will be in touch.

Ask away . . . . !

A search of my old posts should provide ample "shopping opportunities" . . . . .

Z

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2022 9:19PM

This isn't one of Dan's latest but I thought he would find it interesting.

It's apparently some type of test token. Would you guys know if TPG'ers would attribute this token?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited December 18, 2022 9:21PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    This isn't one of Dan's latest but I thought he would find it interesting.

It's apparently some type of test token. Would you guys know if TPG'ers would attribute this token?

Is it one of Dan's earliest? :)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/977407/dan-carrs-earliest

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file