Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that is one of my very favorite Danny pieces, Nice!!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    Here is a Continental Currency overstrike of an 1880 Morgan Dollar (1 of 5). Just enough of the underlying host coin is visible as to not be too distracting.

Z

")

That's a cool o/s Z.... B)

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

That's a cool o/s Z.... B)

I picked up a Peace Dollar O/S as well, but it's harder to photograph it showing the host coin ghosting. Easily visible in the hand, just tough to image.

I tried playing with the contrast a little more to bring out the details.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    I was kind of bored this morning, so I picked my Top 12 DC coins.
    Now my other coins are mad at me....... :#

Love all those‼️‼️👀🎯👍👍
    Now, you know, you can’t say you have a favorite child‼️‼️‼️
    I don’t how rare the others are, but that circulated Buffalo only has 14 brothers ‼️👍🎯

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Good eye on the mintage Nick.

My "favorite child " would be the 1861 CSA.

A couple of years ago there were 3 of them listed on the PCGS BST Forum for $70 each.
    JWitten, Dwhiz and I were able to snag 'em quickly.

Man, where's that time machine when I need it?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you found the one you needed @ZoidMeister
    I was fortunate to be on the site early on. Grabbed a few things I had been wanting.

Though I have never collected Ike Dollars I have always found them interesting. I found these two at NEN last week.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2022 6:05AM

1964D Proof Franklins we not manufactured.
    Neither were 1965D PEACE which is one or two I'd love to add to my coinage archive.
    Who knows, maybe Daniel can revisit these two issues with Proof like offerings like 1964 and 1965?

@pcgscacgold said:
    A recent pick up. I have wanted this coin ever since I found it in the catalog and posted the screenshot here many months ago. I have never seen another for sale but there are a lot of them. People must be hoarding rolls of them. I still want the proof.

It’s the Franklin 1948-DC proof-like that I would love to add. He did 314 of them. I have never seen one.

@LindyS said:
    Neither were 1965D PEACE which is one or two I'd love to add to my coinage archive.
    Who knows, maybe Daniel can revisit these two issues with Proof like offerings like 1964 and 1965?

@pcgscacgold said:
    A recent pick up. I have wanted this coin ever since I found it in the catalog and posted the screenshot here many months ago. I have never seen another for sale but there are a lot of them. People must be hoarding rolls of them. I still want the proof.

Crazy ! I did not know he did 1948 Franklins nor have I seen one in last 10 years of collecting Carr Art

@pcgscacgold said:
    It’s the Franklin 1948-DC proof-like that I would love to add. He did 314 of them. I have never seen one.

@LindyS said:

@pcgscacgold said:

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously I am a great "Fan of Dan" for over 10 years but don't like the contracted out issues that then funnel through whomever's hands and out again at IMHO high prices, with some as the 1948 Franklin PL seemingly squirreled away....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    edited November 10, 2022 7:44AM

I just looked up 1948 DC Franklin. So far 314 made via die one and pending for private commission market. Die two coin is imaged with no mintage given. Was completely of my radar.

@7Jaguars said:
    Obviously I am a great "Fan of Dan" for over 10 years but don't like the contracted out issues that then funnel through whomever's hands and out again at IMHO high prices, with some as the 1948 Franklin PL seemingly squirreled away....

edited November 11, 2022 3:41AM

Thats interesting.

A Century Anniversary 50c.

Very Nice

Dan makes thought provoking items that appeal to many in the hobby.

I picked up a Carr item recently that I connect to when from I was a child in 1970. For some reason its a Carr Art version of item that I remember seeing in the news in early 1970's before I found my first odd coin in 1971. I thought about that contemporary goodie I got in change buying a hot wheels toy and I put aside. A couple decades later it I looked for it & found it in my toybox. A BU 1970D 25c on Dime Stock, which, as usual, I still own. My 1st cherry pick from childhood change in 1971.

There's been some fun DC shopping lately. I am 4 for 15 pursued.

@pcgscacgold said:
    This one was off my radar. I picked it up from NEN. I did not know there was a 2016-W Walker. So far 221 minted and private again.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    Just to add,

I think that ANACS is the premier grading service for anything Daniel Carr.
    They have obviously seen and encapsulated much of his work, so their experience outclasses any other TPG that may slab "one or two" of Dan's work.

Honorable Mention to ICG for slabbing the breadth of Moonlight mint items, but alas I have no experience with them... yet. There are some smaller diameter pieces in my collection that would look good in their tinier slab that I may send out soon and will report back.

@LukeMarshall said:
    Oh and as an Update, I did send some of the smaller diameter Tokens, many of them Daniel Carr pieces, to ICG (Independent Coin Graders) I - they were accepted earlier in the week so the timer is ticking... wish me lucks

>

As a follow-up, I wanted to let yall know that I got my order back from ICG

Its a long story and Honestly, I am thoroughly disappointed with several aspects of their business...

Labeling Mistakes,

Mis-communications
    (here come the exclamations)
    Attitude!

Unprofessionalism!!

Promising a follow-up that never came!!!

and other icing.....

I will say, as a Silver Lining (Well Palladium) they did get this one right...

ICG MS69 Daniel Carr Issue 1/10th OZ Palladium - Old Green Label

I specifically remember bidding on a coin(ebay) in same grade and holder a few years back, but ran into an old friend which turned into a great conversation, and I missed out. Nice to have this piece as now I also remember my Friend when I see it!

So this still rings true for me,

@LukeMarshall said:
    I think that ANACS is the premier grading service for anything Daniel Carr.

>
    >

And if yall want the full story of my experience, please let me know...

Thanks,

It's all about what the people want...

@ZoidMeister
    Now I don't feel guilty for finding some many hole fillers last Friday. :smiley:

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone missed out on them, I have a 1908-O $20 Overstrike on the BST. It will go to GC if not sold here, ANACS MS69

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1083683/fs-d-carr-1908-o-20-overstrike-anacs-ms69#latest

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

Best of luck @DeplorableDan

Those Double Eagles are cool coins. Best of luck on BST or GC. I sent 4 DC items to GC that should be listed by Monday. A few designs I had hoped to add on to (Ameros $1, $20 and a couple $50 TR's) but never saw any for sale since. They were oddballs for me.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan it might help get you some traction on the BST if you also included a reverse image of the piece. After all, it would show the O-mintmark. If I were buying all the double eagles this might be something for me, but as it is I have stuck to acquiring the ASG overstruck or inspired pieces, which means I "only" have four pieces.

Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    @DeplorableDan it might help get you some traction on the BST if you also included a reverse image of the piece. After all, it would show the O-mintmark. If I were buying all the double eagles this might be something for me, but as it is I have stuck to acquiring the ASG overstruck or inspired pieces, which means I "only" have four pieces.

Good luck!

For some reason I didn't save a photo of the reverse, When I get the coin back from ANACS ill post good slab pictures and leave it for a couple days before sending it off to the races. Thanks for the tip!

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

I hope I didn't break anyone's heart here with this last second snipe.

I've been wanting an upgrade to my 2016 MMOH set for quite a while. I still need a 2015 MMOH piece or two.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭

I haven't checked this site in a LONG LONG time and Oh, my, Lord that website is direct out of 1991. Good lord.

Just got these from Jeff Shevlin. He sure knows how to come up with some rare pieces‼️🎯👍‼️
    There were only two pieces of the 8th Gathering, triple struck in nickel….. and one of those was
    select gold plated, so I’m thinking these two pieces are about as rare as they can be‼️‼️🎯👍👍‼️
    Not for sale, they got adopted today, and now are part of the family ‼️‼️👍🎯‼️

That last pic is a better pic of the gold plate triple struck…… and the other is a 9th Gathering “ broad struck” gold plate.‼️

edited November 13, 2022 1:52PM

Triple struck gold plate 9th Gathering ‼️👍🎯‼️👀‼️

Just won this one ‼️Certificate says it’s “bag handled” ….. mintage of only 51 , and toned with a clashed date, wondering that means⁉️

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is date ghosting. Since it’s not labeled as “circulated”, it must have kept in an exposed environment to tone like that (or AT). Nice piece, I like it.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Superb piece @Twobitcollector ! I've been looking for one of those. :/

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    My favorite Moonlight mint item

I have one of those as well.

Many happy BST transactions
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickpatton congrats on the sweet ebay pickups!

There was a bunch of great Daniel Carr items that auctioned this weekend, I managed to snag a few myself , will share once everything is said and done.

It's all about what the people want...

There is a very interesting DC O/S listed on ebay right now, but the seller has the incorrect information attached to it, if I recall correctly. I'm pointing it out just in case anyone might be interested in snagging the piece.

It is an ICG graded Indian eagle O/S with a pair of Oregon Numismatic Society dies from 1946. On one side is the small beaver and on the other is the ONS information. However, the original dies are larger than an eagle so only the central portion of each die is O/S onto the coins. They make for a spectacular image, but the more modern 1946 date and society information does not appear on the O/S pieces. ICG was sloppy in the certification of this coin, in my opinion, because the cert lists is as an 1849 G$10 even though it is clearly O/S onto an Indian eagle. Also, the seller has it listed as being O/S using the original 1849 pair of dies, but this is also incorrect since the dies used were the 1946 ONS set.

The listing is here-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255828456703?hash=item3b909074ff:g:4SAAAOSws8xjcyAj&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoNzi3ZHwBU8dtz/6W8iqU1C5kVf1GbbfCEXndMQygHIMRnj0LWD2jE8TJQnTiq/jgRw6L3Cm1I2MUa0KEmVgIK9WkotHCoQ5mHxcDSdQ+MZxLjrcEjzLaMnpk4kywOHRq90y7wH/9XQhdlaCPkpohkWn3Ji2uDD/moCYqqJpauZs6B/+AgVp0HzV19swO/l8SEszTGkRzIBqaKTpvmsy6Rs=|tkp:Bk9SR76mkMSPYQ

I have sent a message to the seller to let them know about the dies used.

@TomB said:
    There is a very interesting DC O/S listed on ebay right now, but the seller has the incorrect information attached to it, if I recall correctly. I'm pointing it out just in case anyone might be interested in snagging the piece.

It is an ICG graded Indian eagle O/S with a pair of Oregon Numismatic Society dies from 1946. On one side is the small beaver and on the other is the ONS information. However, the original dies are larger than an eagle so only the central portion of each die is O/S onto the coins. They make for a spectacular image, but the more modern 1946 date and society information does not appear on the O/S pieces. ICG was sloppy in the certification of this coin, in my opinion, because the cert lists is as an 1849 G$10 even though it is clearly O/S onto an Indian eagle. Also, the seller has it listed as being O/S using the original 1849 pair of dies, but this is also incorrect since the dies used were the 1946 ONS set.

The listing is here-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255828456703?hash=item3b909074ff:g:4SAAAOSws8xjcyAj&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoNzi3ZHwBU8dtz/6W8iqU1C5kVf1GbbfCEXndMQygHIMRnj0LWD2jE8TJQnTiq/jgRw6L3Cm1I2MUa0KEmVgIK9WkotHCoQ5mHxcDSdQ+MZxLjrcEjzLaMnpk4kywOHRq90y7wH/9XQhdlaCPkpohkWn3Ji2uDD/moCYqqJpauZs6B/+AgVp0HzV19swO/l8SEszTGkRzIBqaKTpvmsy6Rs=|tkp:Bk9SR76mkMSPYQ

.That went quickly, to someone with very deep pockets . . . . . .

Z

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2022 3:43PM

.> @ZoidMeister said:

@TomB said:

The listing is here-

Z

Looks like it didn't sell...

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@ZoidMeister said:

@TomB said:

The listing is here-

Z

I'm not certain it actually sold. The banner for the page says-

"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

The seller also responded to my message on the ebay platform and asked for any additional information I had on the piece. I have since replied and sent a link to the PCGS boards.

Missd this one be 2 seconds and $9👀‼️‼️😱😱😱😱😱

edited November 15, 2022 9:06PM

The gold version is sporting the "medal" alignment instead of "coin" alignment. Looked like a nice set!

I saw that too…. Only 28 out 181‼️‼️‼️😱😱😱😱

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file