Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2022 6:36PM

****Thanks Dan, you answered a mystery for me. I couldn’t figure out why some of the gold coins I bought directly from the USMINT came with darker spots on them , I thought it must have been someone’s greasy fingers got on them ….. because I knew gold doesn’t tarnish ‼️The 2016 Gold Standing Liberty quarter commemorative were really bad about the “bad color” spots on them…. I sent some back because of that.‼️
    Now I know it was probably the bad prep and copper coming thru‼️

Your pieces are almost always perfect….. I think some of the graders at the grading companies are “ jealous “ that it’s not their own personal piece, when one of your pieces come back as a MS69 instead of a 70 ‼️
    I usually get more MS70s than 69s when I order from you‼️‼️👍🎯👍👍‼️‼️⁉️
    That ratio isn’t as good at the USMINT……. Had 10 new Liberty medals….. only got two 70’s out of them‼️😱

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice addition to your collection @TomB

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    The host coin is readily visible after striking ....

They are really neat.

I really like this one!
    There are some of Dan's issues that I really like a pristine, no-host-coin ghosting appearance, and others, where I actually prefer to see the host coin ghosting. This one is an example of the latter.
    I recently reviewed the four 2019-D Apollo astronaut prototype dollars o/s on Ikes that I have on hand. Of the two o/s on a 40% silver Ike, one was o/s on a 71-S to 74-S Ike and the other on a 76-S Ike. And, of the two o/s on a Cu-Ni Ike, one was o/s on a 72 Ike (can't tell reverse type or MM) and the other on a 76 Ike (also can't tell type or MM). ...I appreciate being able to tell the difference in this case.
    What about the rest of you here - do you prefer host coin ghosting or pristine o/s? Or, like me, are there instances where host coin ghosting is preferred, and other instances where a pristine o/s is preferred?

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor

@SPalladino
    I like the ghosting on my 1848CAL and 1908-O DE's because then you know the year of the host coin. I like the ghosting on the 2022 HR Saint to show it is a Maple Leaf as a host.

On many of the Peace Dollars I am not able to see the host coin. My collection is pretty limited so look forward to more things to come. Maybe using $5's and $10's......

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

No problem

@TomB said:
    Here is an 1849 Liberty eagle over-struck by DC, with the help of @Zoins and @Lakesammman, using a die for the 1950 Seattle Coin Club medal for the obverse (provided by @Zoins) married to a 1946 Oregon Numismatic Society die (provided by @Lakesammman) as the reverse. Only a small number of these were struck in gold. The host coin is readily visible after striking and the original reeded edge stands out quite dramatically since these were struck out of collar due to the fact that the dies used were of different diameters and both were larger in diameter than the host coin. There were three die pairings used in total and I have examples of each. Some were even struck on Indian eagles.

They are really neat.

I saw an overstruck $10 Indian on ebay and thought to myself, "man that would be cool if it was struck on an 1849"

I really like the Ghosting of the Date 1849 on this piece to correspond to the date on the die, but in the case of the indian / later date I'm less of a fan.

It's all about what the people want...

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

DC items available this morning..... B)

@Bullsitter
    You beat me to it. Was just getting ready to post it.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you post Indian Eagle overstrike ?

I cannot recall seeing an overstrike on an incuse design host coin.

@TomB said:
    Here is an 1849 Liberty eagle over-struck by DC, with the help of @Zoins and @Lakesammman, using a die for the 1950 Seattle Coin Club medal for the obverse (provided by @Zoins) married to a 1946 Oregon Numismatic Society die (provided by @Lakesammman) as the reverse. Only a small number of these were struck in gold. The host coin is readily visible after striking and the original reeded edge stands out quite dramatically since these were struck out of collar due to the fact that the dies used were of different diameters and both were larger in diameter than the host coin. There were three die pairings used in total and I have examples of each. Some were even struck on Indian eagles.

They are really neat.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2022 8:55AM

And actually now that Im looking at them side by side, they are in fact not the same die pair.

@TomB , is this one of the dies pairing you spoke of from above?

It's all about what the people want...

This don’t look like Dan’s’‼️
    On eBay and I contacted him about a certificate and he didn’t have one……. Said some dealer told him it was Dans’

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickpatton said:
    This don’t look like Dan’s’‼️
    On eBay and I contacted him about a certificate and he didn’t have one……. Said some dealer told him it was Dans’

I saw that, too, and thought they might have looked at the "D.C." on the reverse and jumped to conclusions. Otherwise, Dan's work is certainly taking a different turn!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@LindyS said:
    Can you post Indian Eagle overstrike ?

I cannot recall seeing an overstrike on an incuse design host coin.

@TomB said:

They are really neat.

I own one and will look to see if I have the Indian eagle imaged, but it is not an incuse coin. Only the half-eagle and quarter-eagle from Pratt are incuse.

@LukeMarshall said:
    And actually now that Im looking at them side by side, they are in fact not the same die pair.

@TomB , is this one of the dies pairing you spoke of from above?

That is correct, what I shared and what is in the ebay auction are two different die marriages. I own the coin I shared and also own an Indian eagle overstruck with the same die pair as is offered in the current ebay auction. The last die pair produced used the Oregon Exchange Company text on the obverse paired with the small beaver (1946 Oregon Numismatic Society die) on the reverse of an 1849 Liberty eagle. I have one of those, as well, and will see if I already have images of that, too.

@Bullsitter said:

Sad to say…………” I’m BROKE”‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️😱😱😱😱👀😱😱😱

Thanks for the heads up though,bro‼️‼️👍👍👍

Today's product availability prompted me to look at the ASE o/s production blog documentation. I saw this:

Does anyone here have one of these?
    I'm wondering if anyone here know who the commissioning distributor might be?
    I've seen other commissioned items from Daniel / Moonlight Mint appear on the CCN site, but did not see this one listed.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member

With the new items for sale on the MM site, the Seated Liberty Dollar o/s offerings are gone. I wonder if the production figures listed now will become the "final" figures?
    1874-S #29
    1874-CC #42
    1853-O #38
    1837-O #54

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    With the new items for sale on the MM site, the Seated Liberty Dollar o/s offerings are gone. I wonder if the production figures listed now will become the "final" figures?
    1874-S #29
    1874-CC #42
    1853-O #38
    1837-O #54

According to my notes those #s were posted in the middle of October. So, they should go up except for the 1837.

I think..... :#

I could not find any of todays items in the catalog (will take a closer look later) so I assume updates will be made in the near future.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @pcgscacgold said:

I could not find any of todays items in the catalog (will take a closer look later) so I assume updates will be made in the near future.

You'll find some items in the section ("Fantasy-Type Over-Struck Coins") near the bottom of this page: http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_over-struck_list.htm

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

edited November 30, 2022 12:39PM

@pcgscacgold said:

They are there bro, I had to take a screenshot from the items for sale today…… and then I could reference with the “ minted items “ catalog.
    (I want some of everything , but have money for none….. maybe I can sell some stuff…. I reduced some of my prices)‼️

• jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@Nickpatton said:

@Bullsitter said:

Sad to say…………” I’m BROKE”‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️😱😱😱😱👀😱😱😱

Thanks for the heads up though,bro‼️‼️👍👍👍

I'm MORE broke now.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

@Nickpatton said:

@pcgscacgold said:

They are there bro, I had to take a screenshot from the items for sale today…… and then I could reference with the “ minted items “ catalog.
    (I want some of everything , but have money for none….. maybe I can sell some stuff…. I reduced some of my prices)‼️

Where is your BST posting?

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

edited November 30, 2022 1:00PM

eBay , Nickshobbies

edited November 30, 2022 1:57PM

I’m emailing him on eBay with screenshots of your response,Dan‼️………………. Contacted him and he’s removed it👍

edited November 30, 2022 5:31PM

Nice Nick, you have a wide array of fantasies available.

I learned a long time ago; I cannot buy everything Carr issues as I have had to keep powder dry.
    Sometimes that costs me more later when I faceplant, realizing I should have acted by buying direct. I passed on 2009S Wheatie, then poof, gone. Regrets. I got one now. How cool is that ?

One of these days I may thin the MM heard but in meantime I just stack goodies from my favorite coinage art artist.

I skipped all of today's current Moon Light Mint offers as Moraned and couple unrelated hobbies absolutely tapped me out till next year.

I was sad to see Ed offer up his treasures, having bought a couple dozen MM years ago from him, I am certain these stashed goodies meant the world to him, but I am glad I won all four items I absolutely had to own.

Lindy

@Nickpatton said:
    eBay , Nickshobbies

I know brother (LindyS), I hate passing on any Daniel Carr’s , but sometimes there aren’t any resources, and the possibility to pick’em later exist.
    You can bet if I have the money I’ll buy ‼️‼️
    And I hope I never have to sell any of my favorite….. sad to hear that anyone had to sell their favorite pieces ‼️😱😱😱

edited November 30, 2022 5:41PM

@Twobitcollector said:
    Nice....I ordered this one

I did as well. I love that it is o/s on an Ike. ...I'm an Ike collector, but really would rather see modern issues sans dead Presidents, and instead, using classic designs. Now, this is a dollar (conceptually awesome)!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member

I liked this one too @SPalladino
    I went with both Clad and 40%. Also had to keep the Walking Liberty halves going with that new one.

edited December 1, 2022 10:37AM

Here's a similar 2 ounce I won recently for less than their issue price from a different minter. So many dies, what to do ? Thought provoking. Easily one of my favorite archive additions in all of 2022. 5 dies struck and laser etched for a 2x spot. I dig their creativity in spite of one of 500 issue, it's a keeper. I owned nothing like it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334597640405

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the coolest part of that piece . . . . .

Zoom in and check out the inscriptions on the blades. Each descending strike was also available as individual rounds.

Z

@LindyS said:
    Here's a similar 2 ounce I won recently for less than their issue price from a different minter. So many dies, what to do ? Thought provoking. Easily one of my favorite archive additions in all of 2022. 5 dies struck and laser etched for a bit over spot. I dig their creativity in spite of one of 500 issue

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334597640405

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

edited December 1, 2022 9:20PM

Am I wrong to say this, or does everyone think like me⁉️
    I always want everything Dan mints……. but my resources don’t always allow me to……… therefore I have to pick and choose , and let some go by me‼️

And one defining factor in that decision is what is the mintage going to be…. and I have to say,” So Far” scares me ‼️
    And Dan does put the limited mintages down nearly all the time, that I’ve seen………… but “So Far” scares me so far, sometimes I don’t buy them‼️‼️

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 7:59PM

@Nickpatton said:
    I know brother (LindyS), I hate passing on any Daniel Carr’s , but sometimes there aren’t any resources, and the possibility to pick’em later exist.

Is it still easy to get everything by buying a few extra to resell?

@Nickpatton said:
    Am I wrong to say this, or does everyone think like me⁉️
    I always want everything Dan mints……. but my resources don’t always allow me to……… therefore I have to pick and choose , and let some go by me‼️

And one defining factor in that decision is what is the mintage going to be…. and I have to say,” So Far” scares me ‼️
    And Dan does put the limited mintages down nearly all the time, that I’ve seen………… but “So Far” scares me so far, sometimes I don’t buy them‼️‼️

I buy what I like, regardless of the mintage. If an offering doesn't fit what I like, I pass (regardless of the mintage). Collecting DC items is a hobby for me. I did learn this past weekend (at GC) that popularity plays a roll when selling. I sold off some items that had 50-100 mintage and a couple didn't even get to original offer price plus grading.

edited December 2, 2022 6:29AM

LindyS, you did good on that one‼️‼️👍
    I lucked out on this one,( 2 days before Dans new ones came out ), this is one of his earlier club medals, with only 5 minted ‼️🎯‼️And it is the only MS68 out of all that Dan minted (silver,brass, copper) ‼️ I asked that dude if he had a copper Die pair 3,( only 2 minted), I ain’t that lucky ‼️‼️I love those low mintage pieces from Dan‼️

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503

• BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

I’m the same way Nick. I want to buy everything that Dan produces and although I spend more than I probably should, after a few months that anxiety subsides and it’s just another awesome addition to my collection of his work.
    It does not hurt that his pieces hold their value well.
    I’m hoping we will maybe get another gold token this year and I’m really hoping for a 2022 Peace Dollar seeing as how the mint couldn’t get their act together.

@BucketHead said:
    I’m the same way Nick. I want to buy everything that Dan produces and although I spend more than I probably should, after a few months that anxiety subsides and it’s just another awesome addition to my collection of his work.
    I’m hoping we will maybe get another gold token this year and I’m really hoping for a 2022 Peace Dollar seeing as how the mint couldn’t get their act together.

I swar Dan posted months ago that if the usmint didn't, he was going to. It could have been wishful thinking on my part, but until someone corrects me, I'm going with it.

edited December 3, 2022 6:49AM

@LindyS said:
    I passed on the Covid issues until this one crossed my path:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175482637936

Amazing piece! I was hoping someone here got it!

Here are the photos of your piece!

edited December 3, 2022 6:53AM

@Nickpatton said:
    LindyS, you did good on that one‼️‼️👍
    I lucked out on this one,( 2 days before Dans new ones came out ), this is one of his earlier club medals, with only 5 minted ‼️🎯‼️And it is the only MS68 out of all that Dan minted (silver,brass, copper) ‼️ I asked that dude if he had a copper Die pair 3,( only 2 minted), I ain’t that lucky ‼️‼️I love those low mintage pieces from Dan‼️

Amazing and coingrats! I just love that design!

I need to go find one now!

Love that double struck Covid‼️‼️‼️‼️👀🎯👍👍
    That’s one that would never be sold again if it was mine‼️‼️‼️‼️
    Great find on that one👍👍

@jshaulis said:

@BucketHead said:

I swar Dan posted months ago that if the usmint didn't, he was going to. It could have been wishful thinking on my part, but until someone corrects me, I'm going with it.

I just saw his post stating exactly this a few days ago, when I was searching some old posts. Back on the low to mid 180s pages somewhere.
    So let it be written, so let it be done. :p

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file