Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

^
    Good point!

peacockcoins

• Don't all the originals come with the signed cert in the flip? Mine did.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleRJO said:
    Don't all the originals come with the signed cert in the flip? Mine did.

Older D. Carr pieces have actual signatures. A lot of the newer pieces have printed signatures.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleRJO said:
    Don't all the originals come with the signed cert in the flip? Mine did.

Very few of my inserts are signed. Dan did that in the beginning but as volume has increased he can't. The only signed ones I have are for my 1908-O and 1848 CAL Double Eagles and the 2022 Saint.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats weird it got circulated after it was struck by Ed & Dan. Maybe it got tumbled after strike ?

I bought a pocket piece error from Daniel when I met him in 2012.
    Something circulating in a pouch with other goodies.

Good Times !

@Nickpatton said:
    I just got this one I won on EBay‼️This one’s kooler than I thought‼️ ‼️Ed,( the seller),sent a personal note with this, with a little history on this piece, and why the insert isn’t printed, but is in Dan’s own handwriting ‼️Love this piece even more now‼️
    This seller is really good, got this quickly, and he refunded half my shipping fee because I had 2 pieces I won‼️

Something is going on with the mint mark,too, not sure what it is.

• EagleRJOEagleRJO Posts: 37
    edited November 16, 2022 1:41PM

@pcgscacgold said:
    Very few of my inserts are signed. Dan did that in the beginning but as volume has increased he can't. The only signed ones I have are for my 1908-O and 1848 CAL Double Eagles and the 2022 Saint.

Yea, I haven't acquired any of his more recent overstrikes, but some pretty amazing workmanship.

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

This arrived from the same seller ^^^.

@LindyS , is Ed a member here? Could you PM me his screen name?

Thanks in advance.

Z

Oh yeah, what I got from him.

2016 MMOH Double Struck over a 40% Silver Eisenhower.

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

This MMOH is from Ed.

I bought a few, maybe a dozen or so Carrs outside of fleabay a few years ago, but I don't think he lived in Texas back then.

Look at address on your package, look at his name.

;^)

@ZoidMeister said:
    This arrived from the same seller ^^^.

@LindyS , is Ed a member here? Could you PM me his screen name?

Thanks in advance.

Z

Oh yeah, what I got from him.

2016 MMOH Double Struck over a 40% Silver Eisenhower.

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2022 5:54PM

I’ll message you here ZoidMeister ‼️Gimmie a minute.or LindyS

edited November 18, 2022 10:58AM

I would assume Ed has a handle here. No clue if that's correct.

I also assumed he had more Carrs to list and I confirmed last week he now has zero.

@Nickpatton said:

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    I would assume Ed has a handle here. No clue if that's correct.

I also assumed he had more Carrs to list and I confirmed last week he now has zero.

@Nickpatton said:

He responded to me in the negative. No presence on CU.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

edited November 18, 2022 11:53AM

He never answered my email (Ed).
    ( I was hoping he had more‼️)
    He had some kool stuff‼️

Don’t know how I did on this one.
    The seller posted it as the date is a clashed date. In the eBay description it says weak date. I’m guessing that it is artificial toned.
    The date has some doubling on the 9….. the 8 has a flat bottom .
    Dan’s website says there were only 51 bag handled.
    The certificate isn’t signed by Dan. I’m thinking if Dan did any “special “ work on this it would be signed by him.
    Not sure what is going’s on with piece, but I like it ‼️

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickpatton said:

Don’t know how I did on this one.
    The seller posted it as the date is a clashed date. In the eBay description it says weak date. I’m guessing that it is artificial toned.
    The date has some doubling on the 9….. the 8 has a flat bottom .
    Dan’s website says there were only 51 bag handled.
    The certificate isn’t signed by Dan. I’m thinking if Dan did any “special “ work on this it would be signed by him.
    Not sure what is going’s on with piece, but I like it ‼️

Some of the "bulk-handled" / "antiqued" issues have some color toning. I can't say for sure if that is the color that I released it with, or if it obtained some color afterwards.

The doubled "9" in the date is due to remnants of the original 9 of the host coin over-struck with the new 9 (slightly mis-registered). This particular host coin may have been slightly thinner in the date area and so there are some artifacts resulting from that. The flat-bottomed "8" is probably due to being over-struck on a 1922 host coin.

Thanks Dan…. I couldn’t resist this one….. and as with all Dan Carr pieces, this one looks better “ in hand” than the pictures show ‼️You never cease to amaze ‼️‼️‼️

edited November 18, 2022 6:44PM

I was excited to see the many early Carr collector treasures.
    I am so happy I won all 4 items I really Needed/Wanted.
    I bid on a few other goodies but laid off the pedal to save some gas just for these four.

1970 40% reminds me of a Gasparro picture/article from my childhood & 1975 Type 1 Bold Letters Reverse and CBS error, one of none. One of none is better than one of one. Makes my 2nd one of none from the house of Dan.

2018D on melted 90% unique to my archive & a 2009S VDB Wheatie:

What can I say ?
    Sometimes I cannot shop when new drop occurs, then hours pass and poof it's gone...
    I really wanted that Wheatie
    ;^)

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pieces Mr.Lindy.... B)

edited November 18, 2022 6:58PM

Your shipping loss still saddens me.
    I have not slabbed any coin in 20 years and cannot see why I need to.
    Downside of theft is devastating.

@pcgscacgold said:
    My NEN shipment came today. I had almost given up on collecting DC things. Even sent 4 items to GC that end next Sunday.

Having all those really cool ones stolen last year bugged me for a while.

Nice to see some have the inserts and some inserts are signed. Good to be back.

@LindyS
    Somewhere there are 5 super rare zoins creations and 4 more common ones. I haven’t seen them appear anywhere yet. When there are only 2-3 made and Dan owns 1 and zoins owns one the other will be easy to spot.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:

I concur. I have, well, a number of Dan's issues and have not slabbed any of them. True, some have begun to tone just a bit but I like them as he released them. These are accessible and really nice coins. I don't see how a slab is needed when they are all as he released them and untouched essentially since he sent them out to me. I guess I am considering slabbing the 1861 Confederate brass to hopefully hold its toning right where it is - I will post a view of it tomorrow.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2022 3:52PM

@7Jaguars said:

@LindyS said:

I concur. I have, well, a number of Dan's issues and have not slabbed any of them. True, some have begun to tone just a bit but I like them as he released them. These are accessible and really nice coins. I don't see how a slab is needed when they are all as he released them and untouched essentially since he sent them out to me. I guess I am considering slabbing the 1861 Confederate brass to hopefully hold its toning right where it is - I will post a view of it tomorrow.

In my opinion, It’s all personal preference first but I can see the benefit of slabbing.

Personally, I like 2x2 archival flips for some pieces And slabs for others. Both can be presented nicely in a variety of display cases, albums, or storage compartments.

I guess if sheer volume was a factor then you could technically cram more flips in a tight space, but I don’t have that problem yet so please everyone send me all your carrs

I do like albums, but some are said to tone coins due to the materials in them which speak to the point of…

Slabs being hermetically sealed with inert ingredients to preserve the current state of a coin.

I’m guilty of improperly handling coins to their detriment, rim dings , handing them to someone, rim dings… a slab offers a bit more protection when dropped and other shenanigans.

There is also a liquidity factor.

If I’m buying or selling a large bullion coin, it always helps for me to have the extra authentication “opinion” of the TPGs.
    Lots of auctions houses deal exclusively in slabs and their sheldon opinions.

With all that, there is risk involved.

Insurance can be had but there is the risk of loosing the piece and the actual cost of replacement , as in @pcgscacgold case with no replacement, it can be a devastating blow.

I am happy to see you were at least compensated for the purchase of your stolen items, and I’m glad to see you bounce back adding to your collection some really great DCarr pieces !

Cont.

It's all about what the people want...

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a personal note and pertaining to slabbing…

My first ANACS submission was a single coin, some may call a Keystone piece in my Daniel Carr - Clark Gruber collection.

I mulled over the idea of sending it in for the better part of a year before finally mailing it in.

They turned it around to me (registered mail) within a month and it was a relief to have it back in hand.

This was around the time that ANACS first started the picture service. I had selected that service and checked the site for an image the next month to no avail before calling them and finding out that that part was accidentally overlooked. They said to “just send it back for a free image” to which I declined do to the risks and costs associated with the extra trip.

As a courtesy they offered me a free grade and image…

Cont 2.

It's all about what the people want...

Thanks @LukeMarshall I do hope to add some gold DC items like you have shown me. Your MS70 1934 Saint is outstanding. I also hope to find some 1/4 oz coins or 1/2 at some point. Those seem to be hoarded.

One thing I like about the slabbed coins is that ANACS does a great job of listing Die Pairs, host coin, etc. Some many of the DC items I buy do not have the insert. This makes it easy to know what I have.

Shipping occurs regardless of slabbing.

Off the top of my head, I'll guess 70 % of my Carr goodies were purchased direct from Moonlight Mint.

What authentication do I need to assist a cash out ?

You all know what is Dan's versus the fleabay China crude copy Counterfeits.

Until recently, ANACS would not award 70's to obvious MS70.
    Now they do. But CAC does not bean anything ANACS, right ?

What is the point of slabbing treasures, putting them in additional shipping jeopardy to encapsulate in holders that eager collectors of the big two automatically discount ?

GC auctions coinage goodies that are not slabbed.

That said I would love to acquire a PCGS Gold Shield 1964D PEACE. I have more than a roll of 64D Peace and I have no interest in playing the 6 month turn around game. Send away & pray...
    But if I see a Gold Shield 64D Peace, that's something I would bid up to add to archive.

@pcgscacgold said:
    Thanks @LukeMarshall I do hope to add some gold DC items like you have shown me. Your MS70 1934 Saint is outstanding. I also hope to find some 1/4 oz coins or 1/2 at some point. Those seem to be hoarded.

One thing I like about the slabbed coins is that ANACS does a great job of listing Die Pairs, host coin, etc. Some many of the DC items I buy do not have the insert. This makes it easy to know what I have.

Shipping occurs regardless of slabbing.

LindyS……… You’re a poet and don’t know it‼️………… Send away & pray ‼️‼️That’s too good brother‼️….. I’ve done “exactly” that…. and worried until they got back. And I’m sure everyone “feels” for pcgscacgold’s loss…… everyone’s worst nightmare ‼️😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2022 3:28PM

FWIW, I stand on the side of "everything from Daniel / Moonlight Mint to ANACS". >90% of the Dan Carr / Moonlight Mint items have been purchased raw, and then sent in to ANACS. The only items that have not gone to ANACS are the 2 oz large diameter coins/medals that are too big for ANACS holders, which I self-slab.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor

I send most of mine off too………. A lots of older pieces I’ve bought have uneven toning,( at the top of the piece, do to the “air gap” in the flip), I always try to put them in some kind of air tight environment. I bought a whole plastic page (9 pieces) in the page, at least 6 years in that page, and none of them had any toning on them at all …… so plastic page with Dan’s original coin flip works well too‼️

• drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

Majority of mine are in Dan’s flips in an Intercept shield box with zero toning

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another ANACS benefit: Helps prevent numismatically-clueless folks (i.e., my heirs) from naively misrepresenting my Carr fantasy overstrikes to potential buyers.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@COCollector said:
    Another ANACS benefit: Helps prevent numismatically-clueless folks (i.e., my heirs) from naively misrepresenting my Carr fantasy overstrikes to potential buyers.

Yes! ...and a spread sheet that includes mintage figures (and even grade population figures)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member

@SPalladino said:

@COCollector said:

Yes! ...and a spread sheet that includes mintage figures (and even grade population figures)

I cheated and printed color copies of the Moonlight Mint PDF's :smiley:

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold does well in Dan's "OGP"!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

SPalladino check your mail ‼️‼️

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2022 7:54PM

@1940coupe said on November 11, 2018:
    My new coin a tribute to world war one on Veterans Day ! seller said Dan told him he made only four of this type !

Anyone hear from @1940coupe recently?

I just ran across this piece again while looking for a photo for my non-double struck piece and wondered what he's up to these days.

My 1934 like yours has correct, expected color.

All my other Carr gold have correct, as expected color.

I did not buy examples of your other 3 Twenties, but if I recall right that's how they looked when issued from others' photos I saw at issue.

@TomB said:
    I buy the Saint Gaudens themed gold pieces that DC produces and I have read how some of these issues appear to have a different color than what one might expect. The other day I went to the bank and took out my DC Saint Gaudens examples and brought them home to perhaps image them. While the four pieces were sitting on a black velvet tray they were in indirect sunlight and the color variation was truly striking. I snapped a photo with the pieces as-is and then flipped them over to take a reverse shot.

Here are the obverses-

My 1848 CAL and 1908-O Double Eagles have a stronger copper look than my 2022 High Relief on Gold Maple.

Love that photo @TomB . I hope to one day own a 1934.

edited November 23, 2022 9:55AM

@pcgscacgold said:
    My 1848 CAL and 1908-O Double Eagles have a stronger copper look than my 2022 High Relief on Gold Maple.

Mine has a copper look to it as well. I discussed gold plating it with Dan which may be an option. He said he gold plated some before striking and that gold plating it afterwards wouldn't harm it as it would be gold on gold.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to admit that in normal incandescent light (typical room lights) that the "1934" appears only a little more coppery than a generic ASG and the "MMXXII" looks a little brighter yellow gold than a generic ASG while both the "MCMVI" pieces have the same color as a generic ASG. They are so subtly different that one might not even notice the color shift among the items, which is one reason I was so surprised to see what they looked like in indirect sunlight.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

edited November 23, 2022 10:09AM

Looking for some assistance in finding an item in the catalogue. I have looked in all of the categories, but must be missing it...probably senility of some sort. I cannot find the $2 2009-D bimetallic proof-like Apollo Astronaut listing. Under what category is it listed?

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member

@SPalladino

Check Concept Dollars then down to 2009. THat might be what you are looking for.
    T

Thank you, @pcgscacgold ! Confirming my senility, but very helpful none the less.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2022 12:14PM

@LindyS said:.

That said I would love to acquire a PCGS Gold Shield 1964D PEACE. I have more than a roll of 64D Peace and I have no interest in playing the 6 month turn around game. Send away & pray...
    But if I see a Gold Shield 64D Peace, that's something I would bid up to add to archive.

As far as I know only 6 (3 each from 2 different owners) have been slabbed by PCGS. And those are from dies 5 & 6. It may be worth your while playing the waiting game with PCGS. That is probably a shorter wait than waiting for one to show up in the market.

Edited: I just checked the pops and it looks like 5 more have been graded. There are still 2 Matte proofs and 2 PL finishes, but now there are 7 High Grade finished instead of 2. There is no way to tell if any of the new ones are Gold Shield. The original 6 are Gold Shield.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1964-d-1-x-383-peace-dollar-daniel-carr-fantasy/877747

edited November 23, 2022 6:26PM

If you created a Carr account then you can see what you bought. Seems I dropped multiple k's supporting my favorite coinage artist, thoughtful artist hero. Use the date posted when you bought your different $20 gold fantasies and drill down here in this long endless thread into what was current, into that lost era here. Goofy color gold was chit chatted about back then. You will see Dan's responses to odd colored gold $20 reissues which were addressed and discussed and deeply buried over time. He has prepped donor coins differently that I read over time, different chemicals. 90 % Gold should look like real gold. It should look like real unplated versus shinny plated 24k that Gallery Mint routinely did plating over silver. Why would anyone plate gold on gold to make it look better and shinny ?

Thats crosses a big line for me and I won't buy any more of it.

I am stunned by this !!! Is this now acceptable ZOINS ????

So, Now its acceptable. Then Boo.
    Thats just silly.

If plating gold on whatever to make it look more correct, then that is just like fake value current bit coin chaos.
    69k to 16k and dropping... to nothing.

I am disillusioned.

Factory 24k Plating things after restruck or struck to make them market acceptable is a lie.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file