Options

****2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread - Flipping Posts Welcome!*****

1444546474850»

Comments

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 7:45AM

It’s up this morning. HHL 1.
    It’s been said “how can this set not be accepted with more enthusiasm than the Pride Set. 🙀
    It’s only way nicer. The ase from 19 set is magnificent. The maple, eh not even, seems to have been the least popular maple in some time. Mintage similar, although the opportunity to get a 10,000 limit Canadian set. They have a higher resale value. All in all, confusing. Perhaps after we get some perspective on 2021 things will change 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    MetalMetal Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

I had the set in my cart again. HH limit reached, of course. I went back to bed. All I need (want) is one CC morgan, and I'll have the set.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, is it worth sending in these Morgan and Peace dollars for the First Strike designation? I sent in some and they weren't designated properly per the submission form. I was told I could send them back as "mechanical errors" and have the First Strike added but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Thoughts?

• Options

I’m going to say no. I’m watching eBay prices and oh never mind. I don’t know. Are they 70’s maybe then. The prices just look so dang dismal the fdoi 70’s are bringing some money. Really hard call Shipping back and forth is I guess one of the considerations.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    So, is it worth sending in these Morgan and Peace dollars for the First Strike designation? I sent in some and they weren't designated properly per the submission form. I was told I could send them back as "mechanical errors" and have the First Strike added but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Thoughts?

Might be the only way to get full value. What is the cost per coin of sending them back?

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same thing happened to me half received 1st strike and half did not but they did do the right one’s the Peace just me but I think it’s the winner, anyway It was a small order so I let it pass. This is one reason I try to only buy 1st strike box’s I’ve noticed they always sell for a bit more when I go to sell and if they are sealed I can pick and choose when to have them graded.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well after 60 days in grading this is what I ended up with. I am guessing this will be my last koolaid drinking on moderns as I am a little disappointed in the results. No true views and will wait to see why the D ended up in a 67 holder. GL to the rest of you waiting.

I did also notice in the pops that all those dealer labels have nothing but 70's so I guess by submitting bulk and telling them to grade only 70's is alright. Maybe our host could let us little guys send in all our moderns this way.....

Enjoy Tom

1 1 44573363 877720 2021 $1 Peace Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS70 USA
    1 2 44573364 877720 2021 $1 Peace Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS70 USA
    2 1 44573365 877717 2021-CC Privy $1 Morgan Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS70 USA
    3 1 44573366 877715 2021-O Privy $1 Morgan Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS69 USA
    4 1 44573367 877719 2021-D $1 Morgan Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS67 USA
    5 1 44573368 877716 2021-S $1 Morgan Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS69 USA
    6 1 44573369 877718 2021 $1 Morgan Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS69 USA

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1tommy said:
    Well after 60 days in grading this is what I ended up with. I am guessing this will be my last koolaid drinking on moderns as I am a little disappointed in the results. No true views and will wait to see why the D ended up in a 67 holder. GL to the rest of you waiting.

I did also notice in the pops that all those dealer labels have nothing but 70's so I guess by submitting bulk and telling them to grade only 70's is alright. Maybe our host could let us little guys send in all our moderns this way.....

Enjoy Tom

1 1 44573363 877720 2021 $1 Peace Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS70 USA
    1 2 44573364 877720 2021 $1 Peace Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS70 USA
    2 1 44573365 877717 2021-CC Privy $1 Morgan Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS70 USA
    3 1 44573366 877715 2021-O Privy $1 Morgan Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS69 USA
    4 1 44573367 877719 2021-D $1 Morgan Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS67 USA
    5 1 44573368 877716 2021-S $1 Morgan Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS69 USA
    6 1 44573369 877718 2021 $1 Morgan Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike MS69 USA

The Denver mint had issues. Overall half 69 and half 70 is pretty common. Best to look before sending in next time, within the 30 days.

As far as requesting bulk and asking for only 70's, the dealers still pay a grading fee, but not an additional slab fee, the way I have heard it explained. If it was allowed for smaller submissions, you would have paid to grade 7 coins, and received 3 back in slabs and 4 in flips.

• Options

This is why the “D” is now pulling over $300+ on the market now. I sent in like 30-D’s and rec back just 4-70’s 2-68 and one 66 the rest where 69’s, I’ll try another load next week.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:
    This is why the “D” is now pulling over $300+ on the market now. I sent in like 30-D’s and rec back just 4-70’s 2-68 and one 66 the rest where 69’s, I’ll try another load next week.

Yes, they had crazy bad production value. They seemed to have a real cleanliness problem. There were a LOT of fiber strike throughs and particulate strike throughs.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:

I sold a D for $425 on Ebay this week!

• Options

Ya buddy I was passing on the “D” just because this. When I should of just went and bought all the 70”s in holders. I keep seeing how hard it was to get 70”s and did say the only coins I wanted are the Peace, CC, “D” because it was the hardest to get in a 70. Wow that is great if they keep going up. I think I have 20 or 30 more “D”s to send in with others.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    FlipsFlips Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

If any body still needs these they have been popping up again. Peace was up for a solid minute today

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flips said:
    If any body still needs these they have been popping up again. Peace was up for a solid minute today

Morgan(P) was up for 2 minutes I believe.

• Options
    mlittlemlittle Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Where exactly on the Mint's website do these Morgan and Peace dollars show up?

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing new ones are returns? They've been popping up for a minute at a time since the day after the original sale.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Population report through 1.21.2022 - total graded and % graded 70:

For comparison, the last time that I did this was 12/11/2021 - about 6 weeks ago:

The initial bulk submissions skewed towards 70 due to minimum grade of 70 request are now being diluted a bit.
    Denver is clearly the toughest to get in 70.
    CC and S Morgans have highest rate of 70s.
    Close to ~20% of the mintage are now graded for each issue (CC Morgan @ >25% of the mintage graded).
    Either better specimens being sent to, or softer grading going on at the other TPG.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@mlittle said:
    Where exactly on the Mint's website do these Morgan and Peace dollars show up?

https://catalog.usmint.gov/coins/coin-programs/morgan-and-peace-silver-dollar-coins/

(l8-)>>

• Options

• Options

There’s two things I’ve heard.
    1. They don’t resell returns
    2. After inspection they do sell them
    3. Leaving me confused 🤨

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2022 7:50PM

I took pics of the D and CC privy coins in my custody and am now thinking that perhaps they should be sent in for grading. Barring one of the D's with a slight mark across the cheek (visible mostly when held at an angle) the other two should fare well I'spose. :)

Edited to add the rest of the D and CC pics from the computer because the browser on phone was making the task more difficult.

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    There’s two things I’ve heard.
    1. They don’t resell returns
    2. After inspection they do sell them
    3. Leaving me confused 🤨

They used to say they didn't. They don't actually say that anymore. So who knows?

• Options

@jabba said:
    I was shocked look at the pop reports there are a few really bad ones like MS66 bad

This is not surprising to anyone who opened any sets.

• Options
    LMMLMM Posts: 92 ✭✭

Nice submission!

• Options

Thank you, did they or are they still popping up in the morning?

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    fox9487fox9487 Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    Thank you, did they or are they still popping up in the morning?

I had not checked in awhile but happened to see the D's available on 3/25 or 3/26. If I had not been fishing for something else I would have landed some. Must have been up about a minute. Then the sold out sign was hung up two days later.

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

My original missing shipment from Oct 25, 2021 finally arrived on Nov 5, 2022. No shipping email from the Mint - it just showed up in my mailbox. The box had 1 CC and 1 O. The packing slip had a 10/25/2021 date on it.

• Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

Maybe there's still hope for mine. The mint showed it picked up by UPS last year, but UPS had no record. Mine just vanished. I got a refund from the mint on this shipment. Was yours refunded?

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oilers99 said:
    My original missing shipment from Oct 25, 2021 finally arrived on Nov 5, 2022. No shipping email from the Mint - it just showed up in my mailbox. The box had 1 CC and 1 O. The packing slip had a 10/25/2021 date on it.

That sounds like it was in Postal Purgatory for a year (or maybe the distribution warehouse). If it had just been shipped from the mint, I think you would have received an email...

• Options

@johnt said:
    Maybe there's still hope for mine. The mint showed it picked up by UPS last year, but UPS had no record. Mine just vanished. I got a refund from the mint on this shipment. Was yours refunded?

Mine wasn't refunded but the Mint sent out a replacement shipment after sending an email saying they were aware of the delay in shipping.

• Options
    TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 83 ✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2022 6:06AM

I just received a CC and an O privy as well for an order placed last year.

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

@TopcatCoin said:

I wonder if they would still be first strike eligible (assuming you didn't open the box)?

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 83 ✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2022 10:14AM

@jshaulis said:

@TopcatCoin said:

I wonder if they would still be first strike eligible (assuming you didn't open the box)?

I opened it. I had forgotten about it and had no idea what it was as it had been so long.

• Options
    Dirt94Dirt94 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

If you are looking for sealed boxes that are first strike eligible I have a box of 3 CCs and a box of 3 Os I am looking to sell that are still sealed.

• Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

I wonder where these were being stored and how they were forgotten. Seeing two people receiving their sets in the last few days just on this site leads me to believe there were many found and sent. I'll continue to stand by my mailbox in anticipation.

• Options

@oilers99 said:

The Mint giveth, the Mint taketh away...
    11-18 update
    Received an email from the Mint saying they now realized that they sent me additional product. My options are return the coins or call to arrange payment if I want to keep the coins. I'm opting to keep them.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

Speaking of Flipping...

Hearing of the Taylor Swift & Ticketmaster concert ticket sales fiasco on the news lately made me think of the history of US Mint releases and coin flipping.

Let's just hope that these young Taylor Swift fans don't grow up to be coin collectors - that is one brutal bunch of ticked off fans who have taken to social media - I don't believe the Mint would be able to handle them.

The common theme between both - Flipping

One would hope that the Mint watches the outcome of this and what fixes Ticketmaster puts in place on their systems to prevent the fiasco for future popular coin releases.

BST references available on request

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file