Home U.S. Coin Forum

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the buyer and the seller.

Philippians 4:4-7

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added Coin #42 to the census:

42) PCGS AG-3 - Listed on eBay 8/2022 seller: reedededge- Sold eBay BIN of $1,395 8/23/22
    Cert: 545047.03/46004231
    Stage B

I'm 99% sure it's a new cert versus one of the raws previously known that was graded, but will double-check my photo archive when I get home today.

Sold pretty quick on eBay with a BIN of $1395.

Here is the completed listing:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/334540566005?hash=item4de42bedf5:g:-~UAAOSw0tFjBQU3&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoMa+xpFhtcJVH+O6MKpubxvx66zGbY+IFXDEuJz4kx/BMqE9o2Z8ZKqCJ6bNAEACqz3r478VoMkqplyQDjsfoem5hp8aAGus1C3W8srWBnjfbJeywNM2w8bU+eGhJXNUt+EPleqS6GjJQgaNSIR1T+iQhKXVHpfchUMKLX2GKNUXarJeMUyE3A3BmL2eyQ24niJGkH46az3CRhxT4uKz+og=|tkp:Bk9SR-yxrIraYA&nma=true&si=OdQX5qTs80GKSONVKTNbcVYgOuA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

I do @CaptHenway - it is coin #41 - just recently certified, but found raw in June. - Thanks for keeping an eye out!

41) NGC AG Details - Damaged - Reddit member wordisborn discovered and posted June 2022. Listed in NGC Details Holder on eBay 8/25/22 with starting bid of $1,050
    Cert: 6475028-020
    Stage B

• WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t see all the fuss about this dime. Doubling is only moderate in one spot of coin. No comparison to the various Lincoln Cent DDO

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:
    I don’t see all the fuss about this dime. Doubling is only moderate in one spot of coin. No comparison to the various Lincoln Cent DDO

I believe the allure has to do with 2 points. 1) Fact took so many years for it's discovery and 2) The relative scarcity, known examples, and likely survival rate is low. But I do agree with you the 55/55 would trump (not being political) the dimes appearance.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited October 20, 2022 8:45AM

Looks like the NGC AU55 crossed to PCGS AU50

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46260965

Looks about right. And a darn fine coin it is, regardless of what the plastic says!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange that is was cac'd at ngc55.
    Wonder if it'll get a gold bean now?
    B)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

@UpGrayedd I say you've just added #43 to the census, congratulations!

You said in the wild - care to share the expanded story on your find?

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd

I was your underbidder. Your pics make the coin look alot better than the scans, so congrats. I left a little meat on the bone for you, so you should be all right with the pick despite the condition.
    A rather obvious pick for anyone looking. Inexplicably, the piece was run up to $36 with many days left to go. Non variety is like $2, so this really drew unnecessary attention to the curious.

If I was the seller, the bidding would have caused me to have a hard look at what I was selling.
    Again, congrats and enjoy.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

@DCW said:
    @UpGrayedd

I was your underbidder. Your pics make the coin look alot better than the scans, so congrats. I left a little meat on the bone for you, so you should be all right with the pick despite the condition.
    A rather obvious pick for anyone looking. Inexplicably, the piece was run up to $36 with many days left to go. Non variety is like $2, so this really drew unnecessary attention to the curious.

If I was the seller, the bidding would have caused me to have a hard look at what I was selling.
    Again, congrats and enjoy.

Thanks @DCW, I was a little nervous about what the seller was thinking. I can only imagine what was going through their mind, but to their credit they followed through.

I didn't mention it earlier, but as you showed with the seller's scan, I did get a 2.5 grain silver bar as a bonus. I didn't know they made them that small. 😆

Kudos to the seller for keeping their word on the sale.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Thanks @keyman64 updated the census with the CAC's I didn't have. Someone is cornering the market on the ones over Good huh?

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    Thanks @keyman64 updated the census with the CAC's I didn't have. Someone is cornering the market on the ones over Good huh?

I can’t speak to Merc Madness’ long term ambitions but he does seem to like the variety and focuses on quality instead of just filling a hole.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    DON't put this one in the Census:

Not even close

Yea, for sure not.

I see several, usually on sites like Etsy and Rubylane, etc with machine doubling of the date advertised as the DDO as well. A lot of wishful thinking.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over at Coin talk a poster just examined 1,850 1919 P Mercs.

He found 3 DDO'd.

Link [for the census}:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/so-just-how-rare-is-the-1919-ddo-dime.400899/

The OP asked for this to be posted, since he does not have an account here

Frank

BHNC #203

Nice, I'll assign them 44,45 and 46 in the census this evening. They do all look AG.

That guy must have had a ball looking through 1850 1919P dimes - who would have thought someone would have that many! Thanks TypeCoin971793!!

edited November 14, 2022 3:21PM

OK, thought I had an account at Coin Talk to reply to you there - still waiting on password reset, but TypeCoin971793 - Your 3 are #44-46 in the census. I just went top left, top right, bottom of your pictures.

Your top right one is a "Stage B" as CONECA calls it - has the die crack between R and T of LIBERTY.
    http://varietyvista.com/06 Mercury Dime/1919PDDO001.htm

Thanks for reporting them and great finds! Please update your thread if you ever get them graded, or if you list them somewhere so I can keep track of them best I can.

That guy is on fire - found a 4th (#47 in census) - another AG Stage B. There were several 1919's mixed in with this hoard's 1917 pile.

Great job TypeCoin971793!

I think KearneyCC found 4 or 5 at separate times, nobody has found 4 in one go that I know of.

If they all straight grade, they are worth somewhere around $1500 each - not bad for a day or two of searching.

I think, like most varieties, there are alot more of these out there hiding in plain sight. Obviously, attrition has taken its toll on a lot of junk 90% silver over the years. But this search goes to show that they're out there.
    I certainly wouldn't be spending $1500 on an AG example, but that's me.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

Over on Coin Talk the gentleman who searched the hoard was kind enough to share with us the information that the hoard was examined in "the Deep South." This might suggest that a significant portion of the original mintage of the variety was released in the South, though between 1919 and the disappearance of silver in the mid-1960's any coin could have traveled anywhere.

Have you been keeping track of where pieces have been reported from?

@CaptHenway

It would be interesting, but I have to believe that unless the hoard stayed put after its initial release we can glean little if any info from its current location. These are all worn down to AG which means they stayed out there circulating for decades.

I think it's more about the quantity of 1919 Phillies that were searched and less about geography.

Still interesting to ponder

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

This discovery has been an interesting story to follow.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one was just graded this week, guessing it is one of the previous known examples.

https://pcgs.com/cert/46366277

XF45

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Wonder why no true view?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

@DCW said:
    Wonder why no true view?

It was just graded, the trueview will follow in a week or so.

@dbldie55 I'll have to wait for the truview and compare images. There are really only 4 chances for it to be a previously known one.

The XF40 got an upgrade
    The XF45 got a regrade
    The AU50 got a downgrade
    The NGC AU Details - Environmental Damage got a straight grade

Nothing else out there that would be close to a PCGS 45 besides those 4. Might actually be a new discovery. Will wait for pictures.

(Anybody have any details on this newly graded XF45?)

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    The XF40 got an upgrade
    The XF45 got a regrade
    The AU50 got a downgrade
    The NGC AU Details - Environmental Damage got a straight grade

stuff like that just confirms JUST how skewed the pops probably are. :)

you gotta figure most aren't subbing the certs to have the old ones removed. cest la vie, right?

thanks for your work and updates though!!!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

I messaged the seller for more details. I'm away from my photo library, but of the ones I can rule out from work, it's not the XF40, the other XF45 or the AU50. Have to double-check the AU Details one, but I'm thinking it's going to be coin #48 in the census as a new discovery. At least the last year has had a few higher grade examples show up!

I compared it to the pictures of coin #2 that Bill FIvaz sent me, and I am sure they are not the same coin.

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

It is actually worse now. When I sent in coins for re-grades recently, the old certs are not removed. They always did this in the past.

I have a few varieties in my series that still have coins that were re-graded. I am waiting to see if the older cert is ever retired.

@dbldie55 said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

It is actually worse now. When I sent in coins for re-grades recently, the old certs are not removed. They always did this in the past.

I have a few varieties in my series that still have coins that were re-graded. I am waiting to see if the older cert is ever retired.

may not have been a bad idea all this time to take pics with our camera phones for more important certs that were cracked, that way proof will exist that coins need removed still. i haven't done that much crackin' in a decade plus or i probably would've been taking pics.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2023 8:15PM

The seller of the new PCGS XF-45 coin owns a coin shop in Wisconsin. If he doesn’t get back to you strike, let me know I think I have his cell number somewhere.

Update - coin is new, found by Spotlight Coins, a dealer in Oostburg, WI. Had it graded at the FUN show per a message from him.

The seller replied to me, new discovery came in in an old-time collection at his shop. Tied for 2nd finest straight graded coin currently. Has been added as coin 48 in the census.

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    The seller replied to me, new discovery came in in an old-time collection at his shop. Tied for 2nd finest straight graded coin currently. Has been added as coin 48 in the census.

i am a BIIIIIG fan of owner/operated businesses and while big businesses have their place, seeing the small mom & pop shops catch windfalls like this really puts a smile on my face. :) <-- see

i hope when they get them, the use them wisely to ensure their longevity. the internet is nice but doing business face-to-face has always been my favorite. (which is how the buyer was able to find this amazing ddo)

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

i am a BIIIIIG fan of owner/operated businesses and while big businesses have their place, seeing the small mom & pop shops catch windfalls like this really puts a smile on my face. :) <-- see

i hope when they get them, the use them wisely to ensure their longevity. the internet is nice but doing business face-to-face has always been my favorite. (which is how the buyer was able to find this amazing ddo)

I don't disagree with your assessment (I am a fan of the "little guy" too), but did the "mom and pop" buy it as a rip at the expense of the original owner/their heirs or was it part of a large collection discovered after the fact? I obviously have no idea and don't want to besmirch the integrity of anyone. However, the circumstances involved would definitely alter my opinion of whom the "little guy" in this scenario happened to be.

This variety is out there. One day, I'm sure an uncirculated example will rear its beautiful head.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

@UpGrayedd said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

I don't disagree with your assessment (I am a fan of the "little guy" too), but did the "mom and pop" buy it as a rip at the expense of the original owner/their heirs or was it part of a large collection discovered after the fact? I obviously have no idea and don't want to besmirch the integrity of anyone. However, the circumstances involved would definitely alter my opinion of whom the "little guy" in this scenario happened to be.

ya, that is a fairly regular nuance discussed here.

i posit one alternative(s), as i've done it on several occasions.

item(s) are purchased for one reason or another, not looked at terribly closely whether i'm offering a price or the seller is (99% of the time) and i get home, i look something over and find it is a better marriage, perhaps an unidentefied proof, variety etc and becomes a lot more valuable because of it but perhaps submission to a tpg is partly required to realize said value based on how/if it grades and/or attributes. etc

sometimes a person(s) may not know necessarily whom an item(s) came from in a shop if they are buying a lot.

of course, it is plausible someone just bought it as a rip or something in-between. tough to say.

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

ya, that is a fairly regular nuance discussed here.

i posit one alternative(s), as i've done it on several occasions.

item(s) are purchased for one reason or another, not looked at terribly closely whether i'm offering a price or the seller is (99% of the time) and i get home, i look something over and find it is a better marriage, perhaps an unidentefied proof, variety etc and becomes a lot more valuable because of it but perhaps submission to a tpg is partly required to realize said value based on how/if it grades and/or attributes. etc

sometimes a person(s) may not know necessarily whom an item(s) came from in a shop if they are buying a lot.

of course, it is plausible someone just bought it as a rip or something in-between. tough to say.

I agree and I addressed both possible scenarios in my reply.

There lies the conundrum, who was the "little guy" in this situation.

edited January 19, 2023 9:10AM

That's a beaut!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• D808LFD808LF Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice and crusty.

If there is an unc out there, and that none have surfaced since discovery, my WAG-price is $50k - $75k. :)

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file