Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Fleer Basketball Box Break At The National

Comments

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

Yikes….

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2022 2:46PM

As mentioned in another thread tip of iceberg for these situations. The more stuff opened the more BBCE fakes will come to light. While the culprits may never be found it will reveal a lot about the mettle, professionalism, morals and ethics of Dealers, Sellers and Auction Houses who sell these boxes and cases. My guess based on what I've seen in the hobby for 35 years is they have little of the 1st two bolded items and none of the last two.

BTW is also apparently being done with common as dirt 1987 Topps baseball:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1053846/graded-psa-cards-sold-me-a-resealed-wax-box#latest

2012 Box:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1079777/at-first-g-i-joe-made-an-appearance-then-more-recently-austin-powers#latest

But I see the tip of the iceberg, and I worry about you - Neil Peart

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. This appears to be another very, very, very bad look for BBCE. I'm so glad I'm not into any crazy pack etc.

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

Wait…..Goldin is involved in this? Noooooo……Im shocked (sarcasm font).

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1986 Donruss box I bought about 10 years ago and it looks suspect. Wax appears to be reheated.

Anyone familiar with wax from that issue?

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2022 4:40PM

@Mickey71 said:
    UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. This appears to be another very, very, very bad look for BBCE. I'm so glad I'm not into any crazy pack etc.

My guess is it was "re-wrapped' which in itself is huge problem.

If it was a fraudulent action committed certainly not BBCE's fault. However there is way, way too much easy money to be made by bad actors and they will become more numerous and get more advanced. IMHO a better solution than mere wrap for boxes and cases is required.

Again the reports thus far tip of iceberg stuff. I'd be very concerned if i had older wrap item purchases since 2019.

P.S. I'd be interested in Goldin's response assuming there ever is any. if not done already he may want to contact his or is it Steve Cohen's attorney. Don't worry though folks Goldin will be just fine

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

Was the BBCE wrap ripped open on camera? If it wasn’t, seems very likely what was on display, isn’t what was ripped. If it was, and that’s what was authenticated, wow…not good.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is a terrible look for BBCE. I can only see 2 scenarios: the box was originally authentic, was unwrapped, fake packs replaced authentic ones and then rewrapped in fake bbce wrap. or, steve missed on the original authentication.

both scenarios are really really bad. in the first one, the technique used by bbce to wrap authentic boxes is able to be faked.
    in the second, BBCE authentication was incompetent.

a 1986 fleer basketball box should be a very straightforward proposition. I have long questioned how resistant to tampering/counterfeiting BBCE wrap could be. so much confidence and trust is put into simple saran wrap. hardly anyone ever actually opens the wrap to inspect the packs themselves so it is really pretty scary thinking about what may actually be inside the wrap.

it makes me feel very good I am not an unopened collector.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    this is a terrible look for BBCE. I can only see 2 scenarios: the box was originally authentic, was unwrapped, fake packs replaced authentic ones and then rewrapped in fake bbce wrap. or, steve missed on the original authentication.

both scenarios are really really bad. in the first one, the technique used by bbce to wrap authentic boxes is able to be faked.

a 1986 fleer basketball box should be a very straightforward proposition. I have long questioned how resistant to tampering/counterfeiting BBCE wrap could be. so much confidence and trust is put into simple saran wrap. hardly anyone ever actually opens the wrap to inspect the packs themselves so it is really pretty scary thinking about what may actually be inside the wrap.

Hopefully it isn't a third scenario of straight fraud... Maybe Vintage wax will get really cheap. xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJlbgJ7IqeM

• Options
    StatsGuyStatsGuy Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

This is what happens when the industry makes one guy infallible. I actually think more mistakes are made the other way (not certified but are legit), but you don't hear about those (because they are not sealed). An interesting bit of the hobby that I probably wouldn't collect. An unopened sealed box is assumed legit and can only be found otherwise if opened. Certain things sold on ebay BBCE wrapped may have changed several hands. I guess if you sell something, you almost hope the buyer doesn't crack it.

Gretzky,Ripken, and Sandberg collection. Still trying to complete 1975 Topps baseball set from when I was a kid.

• Options

@BubbleBathHeShe said:
    No one should be surprised by this. I wonder how much Jose stuff is in collectors hands?

Good Ole Pepe... Was faking it before it was fashionable. A true pioneer! lol

probably much more than we would imagine.

• Options

@secretstash said:

@craig44 said:

Hopefully it isn't a third scenario of straight fraud... Maybe Vintage wax will get really cheap. xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJlbgJ7IqeM

I never added straight fraud from steve. i never have thought he was dishonest, but I guess when dollars are involved, you never know.

if that is what happened, the unopened market would crash for sure.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I know I’m considered an 86 Fleer unopened expert so I don’t say this lightly but after watching the videos I’m not sure I agree these are searched packs. I wish I could have seen the entire box rip sequence but I think this might be how the packs came from the factory. It’s rare and not how they usually alternate but it’s how the sheet is printed so if you just took the cut sheet rows in the factory and packaged them this is how they’d appear.

Also I think if you actually had went thru the trouble and searched a box you’d pull the Jordan and Barkleys etc not leave them all in there. I do have 2 questions though: did the box have 3 Jordan sticker packs? And It’s not unheard of for fresh cards to grade 7’s but why did they grade a 7 if because corner wear that might actually be a concern about them being replaced. Also if I was just going to replace the Jordan with lesser cards I wouldn’t undue the every other sequence when putting it back together so that doesn’t make sense to me either.

Have a few questions but while odd I’m not ready to call this a searched box.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

@rtimmer said:
    I know I’m considered an 86 Fleer unopened expert so I don’t say this lightly but after watching the videos I’m not sure I agree these are searched packs. I wish I could have seen the entire box rip sequence but I think this might be how the packs came from the factory. It’s rare and not how they usually alternate but it’s how the sheet is printed so if you just took the cut sheet rows in the factory and packaged them this is how they’d appear.

Also I think if you actually had went thru the trouble and searched a box you’d pull the Jordan and Barkleys etc not leave them all in there. I do have 2 questions though: did the box have 3 Jordan sticker packs? And It’s not unheard of for fresh cards to grade 7’s but why did they grade a 7 if because corner wear that might actually be a concern about them being replaced. Also if I was just going to replace the Jordan with lesser cards I wouldn’t undue the every other sequence when putting it back together so that doesn’t make sense to me either.

From one of the videos of the break, there were at least three packs where the cards came out in alphabetical order. I have never heard of or seen that happen before.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

The picture quality isn't great but these were pulled from that box. Two PSA 7, one PSA 6 and one PSA 8(st) Sticker

• Options

Cmon, really? Number order and you think it’s not a resealed pack?

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the photos from BBCE and Goldin the cellophane logos are all in the exact same places. That does seem to indicate no one messed with it between the two.

If there was tinkering it would seem to be prior to wrap or after it left the auction. If they showed video of them unwrapping then those logos should be easy to verify if they’re in the same locations as the photos.

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 197 ✭✭✭✭

I once opened a box of 1987 Donruss baseball in which the cards were all in numeric order.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

Now I'm curious how the Drake/Golden '86 Fleer Jordans from that box break in March graded. Anyone know?

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

@rtimmer said:

Your opinion is interesting because I’ve been wondering if it is possible that this is how this particular box was packed. I say this because it’s so hard to believe that Steve would miss on the entirety of an 86 Fleer box. This isn’t Pokémon, it’s a product that he has a huge amount of experience with. He inspects every pack, and I just find it hard to believe that someone with the skill to reseal 36 packs convincingly enough to get them past Steve would not know about the typical sequencing for 86 Fleer.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the full interview between Steve and the previous owner of that box.
    part 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qDceU7-gos&t=3s
    part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6nqUEkHEPk

There are also parts 3-4 but those lead into other topics.

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

@Batpig said:

@rtimmer said:

Your opinion is interesting because I’ve been wondering if it is possible that this is how this particular box was packed. I say this because it’s so hard to believe that Steve would miss on the entirety of an 86 Fleer box. This isn’t Pokémon, it’s a product that he has a huge amount of experience with. He inspects every pack, and I just find it hard to believe that someone with the skill to reseal 36 packs convincingly enough to get them past Steve would not know about the typical sequencing for 86 Fleer.

Quality control 35 years ago isn't what it is today, so I suppose it's possible. A few years ago there was a Jabs Family video of him ripping a box of 78 or 79 Topps and all the cards came from the same couple of sheets. The coalation matched, but the only HOFers in the entire box weren't the hobby heroes (names like Gaylord Perry, Bruce Suter, Robin Yount). Packs were all deemed authentic, but a packaging error at Topps. I had a 79 cello pack come back as altered because the colation of front and back card were off. Sent the pack to Steve, and he opened it, and deemed it authentic with a colation anomoly. He sent me a different cello in return. I hope for BBCE's sake there is an explanation to what happened here, or if there was tampering after it left BBCEs hands.

I don't think 3 Jordans would be in there if it was tampered, but I suppose it would deter the buyer?

• Options

@Batpig said:

@rtimmer said:

unless the person who had the skill to fool steve was banking on the eventual owner never opening. most wrapped boxes are never opened.

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

Trust me, I was ready to say Steve has lost all credibility, but if this was repacked, and the person doing it was counting on it never being opened, then there’s absolutely no reason to leave the Jordan’s in.

Everything I’ve seen so far is that this has all the indications of a legit box but the sequencing was wrong. I know that’s a big “but”, but it just doesn’t make sense.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2022 8:11AM

@Batpig said:

Trust me, I was ready to say Steve has lost all credibility, but if this was repacked, and the person doing it was counting on it never being opened, then there’s absolutely no reason to leave the Jordan’s in.

Everything I’ve seen so far is that this has all the indications of a legit box but the sequencing was wrong. I know that’s a big “but”, but it just doesn’t make sense.

BBCE supposedly replaced 2 packs according to this video below:

Wouldn't those have been collated as normal? From the videos of the break shown before, it is suggested that every pack was sequenced alphabetically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6nqUEkHEPk

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the sequence was out Steve wouldn’t seal the box. So while I agree there could be rare scenarios where that occurs, a box like that doesn’t get wrapped.

Most likely is the wrapper was tampered with. When playing high stakes / high value like this, how hard would it be to replicate printed plastic wrap and a business card? And once that investment is made, you can replicate it over and over. It is the perfect scam, relatively low investment, high reward and when you consider most of this stuff stays sealed, risk is insanely low. Buy a 150k box of 71 topps, crack, reseal, reseal, hold for 5 years and sell for 200k. If you have the cash flow its the prefect scam.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get bad collation happening in a box, but for every pack to be in alphabetical order? The odds of that happening randomly when it was originally packaged seems pretty slim. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before anywhere in any pack of any kind.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2022 12:55PM

So was this a frankensein box to begin with?? I mean I guess it was if 2 of the packs were altered right? . So how would so many all random packs have this odd sequence? Is there any video of the BBCE seal being opened? Why not a video of the whole show and just a few min clips. And we are sure all 36 packs were in alphabetical order? And it having 3 jordans in it doesnt mean anything to me about making it legit. Maybe because they knew it was going to be opened is my guess.
    So many questions its just hard to understand the whole story right now for me.

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

@rtimmer said:

The packs DID NOT come from the factory in Alphabetic order. There are YouTube videos that tell you the proper sequence. Sorry.....someone was "had".

• Options

The correct sequence involves 66 cards. Here is a link that I hope explains it.

https://allvintagecards.com/1986-fleer-basketball-pack-sequence/

• Options

First Card #22
    Second Card #88
    Third Card #21
    Fourth Card #87
    Fifth Card #20
    Sixth Card #86

and maybe we get a random flip on card #7 to say #110

we know the next card will be a difference of 66 cards, or card #44

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    I get bad collation happening in a box, but for every pack to be in alphabetical order? The odds of that happening randomly when it was originally packaged seems pretty slim. I'm not sure I've ever seen that before anywhere in any pack of any kind.

The set 1-132 is in alphabetical order, and a typical pack has two sets of numbers that just alternate:

121 - Dominique Wilkins

54 - Marques Johnson

120 - Spud Webb

53 - Magic Johnson

119 - Bill Walton

You can see that every other card is still alphabetical. The packs opened on Whatnot appeared to have the correct cards in the packs based on the usual sequence. The issue is that Marques Johnson/Magic Johnson/the other Johnsons were all in a row and then you had all of the Wilkins/WEbb/Walton/etc all in a row in another group in the pack. Those two groups should alternate as seen in the sequence listed above.

Could that be a very rare factory error? You would think one person would be able to say they have seen it happen before.

I watched it live on Whatnot and I don't remember them unwrapping the 1986 fleer box. I could be wrong, but I don't recall it happening. I've looked and I can't find the video of the full break.

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2022 11:09AM

@fergie23 said:
    I have bought over 50 individual packs of 86 fleer basketball wax from BBCE (and opened every one), none of the raw BBCE packs were bad. The only 86 fleer pack I ever got from them that was bad, had been graded by GAI and was sold in the GAI holder. Steve and I worked it out afterwards.

I would bet the box was rewrapped. I don't see Steve making a mistake on an entire 86 Fleer basketba

Robb

How many M.Jordan and other stars did you get. Was it good value and mix for price paid.

Also that is odd for a pack to be consecutive numbered? Wonder what the rest of packs were like?

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2022 11:10AM

C

• Options

@mcadams said:

@totallyradd said:

@Batpig said:

@rtimmer said:

Quality control 35 years ago isn't what it is today, so I suppose it's possible. A few years ago there was a Jabs Family video of him ripping a box of 78 or 79 Topps and all the cards came from the same couple of sheets. The coalation matched, but the only HOFers in the entire box weren't the hobby heroes (names like Gaylord Perry, Bruce Suter, Robin Yount). Packs were all deemed authentic, but a packaging error at Topps. I had a 79 cello pack come back as altered because the colation of front and back card were off. Sent the pack to Steve, and he opened it, and deemed it authentic with a colation anomoly. He sent me a different cello in return. I hope for BBCE's sake there is an explanation to what happened here, or if there was tampering after it left BBCEs hands.

I don't think 3 Jordans would be in there if it was tampered, but I suppose it would deter the buyer?

The Jordans were 7’s and 6’s. Low quality. It’s a red herring to dissuade suspicion.

Agreed....someone went to great lengths NOT to outright rip someone off, but to definitely take advantage of the sealed wax box market.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2022 2:08PM

@bobbyw8469 said:

@rtimmer said:

The packs DID NOT come from the factory in Alphabetic order. There are YouTube videos that tell you the proper sequence. Sorry.....someone was "had".

I think the inaccuracy above is fairly prevalent to most collectors and I can see what a lot of folks would make an assumption the packs were faked with this belief.

Again I have no horse in this race, I’ve never participated in a what not break or any pack break for that matter and only a couple box breaks in my life. I have bought and sold thru Goldin but never an 86 basketball product. I’m just an ‘86 unopened basketball collector that most consider an expert.

Let me dispel a couple myths if it helps you make a more informed opinion on this break starting with the the cards DO NOT come alphabetically

1. The cards actually came from the factory in alphabetic order that’s why Kareem Abduljabbar is card #1 and James Worthy #131 with every card in between being in alphabetical order. How do the cards get in a pack? They cut a 132 card sheet in half and lay the 2 halves over themselves and cut them for the packs. That’s what creates the 66 card alternating normal sequence.

What happens if the top sheet isn't overlayed when the half sheet gets cut? …All the cards are in alphabetic order like these packs were.

2. The 66 sequence sometime randomly flips. Total myth the sequence flips when you hit the right side of the sheet and there’s no more cards left in the sequence.

On the sequence website listed they show a “random unpredicted” flip sequence:
    So, first pack looked like this:

45 - Gerald Henderson

111 - Mychal Thompson

88 - Paul Pressey

22 - Brad Davis

87 - Ricky Pierce

21 - Adrian Dantley

86 - Sam Perkins

20 - Terry Cummings

85 - Jim Paxson

19 - Pat Cummings

84 - Robert Parish

18 - Wayne Cooper

Now take a look at the uncut sheet and see where Gerald Henderson lands:

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

IF all the packs (except the two that Steve replaced) were in alphabetical order than I would think the box is good. I realize that is not the normal sequencing BUT one of their employees may have screwed up or just got lazy. I want/hope this was just an error by Fleer and not BBCE. I agree with the post above that it really does not make much sense. There were 3 Jordan rookies in the box and they all graded out. A dishonest person that is repacking the box full of commons is not going to leave the three Jordans. Sometimes I have to think like a criminal and try to think of ways that i would do it to make logic of it all.
    1. Do I package this up with the same sequencing and insert a common where the rookie cards fall?
    2. Do I package this up with all the cards in order and leave zero value in the packs in alphabetical order?

BBCE knows this product very well as Ryan stated. If the sequencing and stickers don't match-he won't wrap it.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

When Sports cards blew up and prices doubled and tripled in less than a year, and everyone and their Mother started collecting this was bound to happen. Greed will make people do just about anything.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder why after Mychal Johnson and Magic Johnson there was Randy Johnson?? :p

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:
    I wonder why after Mychal Johnson and Magic Johnson there was Randy Johnson?? :p

At 6' 10", Randy Johnson could have played basketball.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

@Batpig said:
    If there’s no video of the seal being broken, I’m inclined to think whoever was behind Whatnot is responsible for some shenanigans.

EXACTLY... where is the video of Whatnot opening the cellophane?? BBCE and Goldin have excellent long-standing reputations, and here we have Whatnot who is relatively new to the scene and have been sending sketchy vibes from the jump, Who has more to lose and who has more to gain here? Whatnot is all about the clicks, and what's bigger than trying to take down a couple well-established giants?

All this talk about collation, and we're ignoring the possibility of Whatnot swapping out packs before bringing the box onto the stage.

• Options

I think the inaccuracy above is fairly prevalent to most collectors and I can see what a lot of folks would make an assumption the packs were faked with this belief.

Again I have no horse in this race, I’ve never participated in a what not break or any pack break for that matter and only a couple box breaks in my life. I have bought and sold thru Goldin but never an 86 basketball product. I’m just an ‘86 unopened basketball collector that most consider an expert.

Let me dispel a couple myths if it helps you make a more informed opinion on this break starting with the the cards DO NOT come alphabetically

1. The cards actually came from the factory in alphabetic order that’s why Kareema bduljabbar is card #1 and James Worthy #131 with very card in between being in alphabetical order. How do the cards get in a pack? They cut a 132 card sheet in half and lay the 2 halves over them selves and cut them for the packs. That’s what creates the 66 card alternating normal sequence.

What happens if the top sheet isn't overlayed when the half sheet gets cut? …All the cards are in alphabetic order like these packs were.

2. The 66 sequence sometime randomly flips. Total myth the sequence flips when you hit the right side of the sheet and there’s no more cards left in the sequence.

On the sequence website you list they show a “random unpredicted” flip sequence:
    So, first pack looked like this:

45 - Gerald Henderson

111 - Mychal Thompson

88 - Paul Pressey

22 - Brad Davis

87 - Ricky Pierce

21 - Adrian Dantley

86 - Sam Perkins

20 - Terry Cummings

85 - Jim Paxson

19 - Pat Cummings

84 - Robert Parish

18 - Wayne Cooper

Now take a look at the uncut sheet and see where Gerald Henderson lands:

That sort of makes sense. But if the sheets were always placed on top of each other before the packs were put together, why would they stop that process and all of a sudden put packs together without layering the sheets?

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there is enough input here from very knowledgeable collectors to cast doubt over any argument, regardless of what you believe. I don't know the answer to this situation, but it doesn't appear that anyone else does either. Until hard facts come to light, let's hold off on attempting to ruin anyone's reputation here.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.