Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Fleer Basketball Box Break At The National

124»

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

So two #57's and three Stickers. Overall the box looked pretty centered.

I don't know if this is true or not but there was a commentor in the chat saying he won one of the Jordan RCs in the first break then won another tonight.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

I don't know if this is true or not but there was a commentor in the chat saying he won one of the Jordan RCs in the first break then won another tonight.

Ken Goldin said this box was a complete box (not Frankenstein) wrapped by BBCE. We are made to believe that (besides the anomaly box) 3 full sets and 1/3rd of a set are in an original box based on the sheets. That didn't happen.

This break was more for Ewing fans...

• Options

@olb31 said:
    I couldn't guarantee anything, bu the fact that these boxes had very few high dollar cards and weren't in demand at the time makes me feel a little better about them being legit. I actually pulled a PSA 10 1987 OPC Bonds form one of them.

The question is did they EVER have cards in demand? People were resealing packs going back to the 1980's so it's possible that a box you bought in 2014 that was resealed in the 1980's or early 90's

• Options
    Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@erikthredd said:

Ken Goldin said this box was a complete box (not Frankenstein) wrapped by BBCE. We are made to believe that (besides the anomaly box) 3 full sets and 1/3rd of a set are in an original box based on the sheets. That didn't happen.

I'm not sure where the term "complete box" came from, but it doesn't mean it contains the original 36 packs as produced by Fleer or that it is FASC. So, if it's not labeled as FASC, then it's Frankenstein or should be assumed to be Frankenstein.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Webb63 said:

I'm not sure where the term "complete box" came from, but it doesn't mean it contains the original 36 packs as produced by Fleer or that it is FASC. So, if it's not labeled as FASC, then it's Frankenstein or should be assumed to be Frankenstein.

If it's not FASC then I assume it's always a Frankenstein and that someone has pulled every pack with a desirable card on top.

• Options

@secretstash said:

@erikthredd said:

I don't think there was anything nefarious with this box break. The first one looked shady as hell but I've watched plenty of 86FL breaks that didn't end up with the prerequisite amount of sets.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2022 10:08AM

@erikthredd said:

Turns out this was true.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@72Collector said:

@olb31 said:
    I couldn't guarantee anything, bu the fact that these boxes had very few high dollar cards and weren't in demand at the time makes me feel a little better about them being legit. I actually pulled a PSA 10 1987 OPC Bonds form one of them.

The question is did they EVER have cards in demand? People were resealing packs going back to the 1980's so it's possible that a box you bought in 2014 that was resealed in the 1980's or early 90's

No doubt. I agree. When I got the Bonds OPC, I think a PSA 10 was selling for about $200. Ungraded Bonds opc were selIing for $2 each. picked up 7 boxes for $120, opened three and got several Bonds including the one that graded a PSA 10.

The above scenario is about like the rest of the boxes I purchased, including 1985 Leaf and 1987 Leaf. Picked up three 1989 fleer baskets for a total of $100, but all of them were selling for about $40 at the time. PSA 10 Jordan was $100.

As the $$$ go up and the cards in the boxes go way up, I have very little confidence that i will be getting an original unsearched box.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

There were STILL a lot of oddities about yesterdays video, whether intentional or not. For one thing, it is inexcusable for the video to go out 4-5x during a live break. Second- For the first 7-8 packs that Ken opened, he removed the wrapper and then immediately moved his hands outside of the view of the camera, then moved his hands back to reveal the cards. I’m not saying any of it is nefarious, but I am saying that Ken is not at all good at conducting live breaks.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2022 1:10PM

@Webb63 said:

@secretstash said:

@erikthredd said:

We would have to see that letter/label to be sure, but Steve does designate whether the packs were original to the box according to him or if it was a made box. Ken said the box was "an ALL original box", implying to the viewer that he expected it to be just that (which it wasn't). Of course, no 86 fleer are FASC, hence why Steve has this alternative designation. *Ken Goldin - All Original Box - https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxL2At6YMAGS_h2N1NOJHkWF5y1B-pCkbc

If it were a made box, I wouldn't have a problem with 2 full sets only and random other cards, but a supposedly full box appears suspect when only 2 full sets can be made. We should demand to see the original letter for the consignment of this box wrapped by BBCE.

*This is the closest cert letter to the opened X1108 I can find.

• Options

@mcadams said:
    There were STILL a lot of oddities about yesterdays video, whether intentional or not. For one thing,it is inexcusable for the video to go out 4-5x during a live break. Second- For the first 7-8 packs that Ken opened, he removed the wrapper and then immediately moved his hands outside of the view of the camera, then moved his hands back to reveal the cards. I’m not saying any of it is nefarious, but I am saying that Ken is not at all good at conducting live breaks.

I don't know what camera feed you watched from but there were 3-4 different angles with one that was constant throughout the entire feed that had Ken,his hands and the box all clearly visible on a wide shot of his coffee table. It did go down once IIRC but there was a small live pop-up feed that came on screen until they fixed it.

Whatnot's camera angle of hovering right over the packs (I'm assuming the best close-up for breakers) would have been a good idea had they decided to not use the spinning wheel with all of the potential breakers nicknames that stopped the feed before every pack opening.
    If I had to nitpick anything about last night's break I would put it all on Whatnot for not getting their crap together a second time after that abortion of a first attempt at the National. These two breaks were their big coming out moment in the hobby to show everyone their ability to host breaks on their app and at least IMO they were a huge fail when their most important job was to get the cameras right and they couldn't do that.