Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 7:14AM

@jmcu12 said:
    I just purchased the the 1853 - Arrows and Rays Dollar - I have been waiting for @dcarr to do this for a while! Thanks Dan!

Ditto.

I also put the 1837 into my cart. But it sold-out before I could checkout.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 7:56AM

@Bullsitter said:
    Added these 2 pieces to collection.... :#

Mintage 2

Wow! I was so busy buying the dollars, that I didn't even see these!

Awesome piece! That's in very nice condition! I do see some die cracks on both sides!

• silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

just bought the last "1874-S" Seated Liberty and a 1986 silver eagle. all seated libertys are gone unless you send mr carr one.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Bullsitter said:
    Added these 2 pieces to collection.... :#

Mintage 2

Wow! I was so busy buying the dollars, that I didn't even see these!

Awesome piece! That's in very nice condition! I do see some die cracks on both sides!

It's not the exact pieces (Dan's stock photo)......I do have a 50/50 shot at it though... :#

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed out on anything I wanted.

Many happy BST transactions
    edited July 30, 2022 9:09AM

@cheezhed said:

What did you want?

I got a bunch and see many are still available.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I helped some of you out today. I had many of the low pop items in my cart and then decided to remove them for others. I am trying to focus on his gold pieces and hope to maybe find something at the ANA.

I am looking into doing the 4 coins that use actual Seated Dollars. I will see what details graded coins I can find to send to DC.

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    I helped some of you out today. I had many of the low pop items in my cart and then decided to remove them for others. I am trying to focus on his gold pieces and hope to maybe find something at the ANA.

I am looking into doing the 4 coins that use actual Seated Dollars. I will see what details graded coins I can find to send to DC.

Good idea. It's really important to focus. I picked up quite a bit today but I couldn't resist.

I'll be looking to do some with actual Seated Dollars as well.

Here are photos of my 1805 dollar again to show the piece I picked for this:

Cool. That really lets me know what condition the host coin needs to be. I know to avoid larger rim dings and deep marks.

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed out on the "1874-CC" Seated Liberty semi-proof-like over-strike, "MM" obverse counter-stamp, edge marked, only 19 produced. I'll have to look for one on the secondary market, although I doubt one of the 19 will part with it for quite a long time.
    Did order some of the Seated Liberty dollars to be o/s on a Seated Liberty....and noted that lower price graded details coins on eBay have disappeared ;)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
    edited July 30, 2022 1:15PM

Here are some I picked up.

Love the huge cud on this.

There might be more of these in the future but I like the privy mark.

edited July 30, 2022 4:02PM

@dcarr said:
    As I remember, there were two phases to the design competition for the WW1 Centennial Dollar.

In the first phase, applicants submitted a resume and examples of their past work. This did not (yet) involve any designing for the WW1 coin.

From the pool of applicants from phase 1, the US Mint selected a number of artists to invite. Those invited were requested to submit renderings of their proposed design, as well as actual "sculpts" (galvanos). The Mint provided 9-inch diameter clear acrylic discs for artists to carve or use as bases for their sculpts.

This was an experimental program for the US Mint. It was the only design competition in recent times where actual sculpts were to be submitted by artists.

I carved my sculpts into the provided clear acrylic discs. I also cut 8-inch diameter black acrylic discs (which looked better than the clear, in my opinion). I submitted one set of clear sculpts and one set of black sculpts (and I kept one extra set of black sculpts). Eventually I also submitted two 38mm struck examples in silver.

Here are images of all the documents that I have regarding this design competition:

Original sketches:

Submitted renderings with different surface type and lighting style:

My extra set of black acrylic models:

Here is my letter that was sent with the materials:

This is the only related US Mint document that I have:

My mintages are documented on this page (second section from the top):
    moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_dollars_list.htm

Great info! Love all the history behind this and discussion of how the mint and Dan is producing coin designs for evaluation these days!

Were the struck silver pieces submitted associated with a letter as well? Just trying to get enough information to convince people the silver pieces should be patterns :)

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 4:14PM

@Zoins said:

@cheezhed said:

What did you want?

"1874-CC" Seated Liberty semi-proof-like over-strike, "MM" obverse counter-stamp, edge marked, only 19 produced
    Your Price: USD $210.00

"1837-O" Seated Liberty semi-proof-like over-strike, "MM" obverse counter-stamp, edge marked, only 19 produced

Many happy BST transactions

@cheezhed said:

@Zoins said:

@cheezhed said:

What did you want?

"1874-CC" Seated Liberty semi-proof-like over-strike, "MM" obverse counter-stamp, edge marked, only 19 produced

"1837-O" Seated Liberty semi-proof-like over-strike, "MM" obverse counter-stamp, edge marked, only 19 produced

Those are nice. I'm guessing some will show up for sale soon so keep your eyes out.

At the same time, if you're willing to pay much more, you can still get one struck over a Liberty Seated Dollar.

• D808LFD808LF Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr,
    What's the min-grade you can accept to make an o/s Seated Dollar?

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

See what happens when you work on a Saturday? Missed out on a couple really nice ones. 😕

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@D808LF said:
    @dcarr,

While I welcome Dan's reply, there is this:

@Zoins said:

...and this, from the info on the sales page for the Moonlight Mint:

Suitable coins can be very worn and/or polished. Avoid coins with planchet flaws, deep scratches, gouges, or edge cuts. Holes can be punched clean to a standard size and plugged with a 900 fine silver plug prior to over-striking. Add $50 per coin for hole plugging.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m wondering how apparent the plug is on the finished product?

Like enough for ANACS to notice and designate it plugged?

It's all about what the people want...

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anybody was wondering, there was a limit of 1 per customer on the Elders and Seated Dollars (19 minted).

edited July 30, 2022 7:21PM

@Bullsitter said:
    If anybody was wondering, there was a limit of 1 per customer on the Elders and Seated Dollars (19 minted).

Thanks for posting. It confirms what I expected -- I didn't even try to order extras.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

edited July 30, 2022 7:40PM

@COCollector said:

@Bullsitter said:

Thanks for posting. It confirms what I expected -- I didn't even try to order extras.

I’m not sure if there was a limit on the Elder satin pewter. I ordered 4 which was all that was remaining.

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭

I missed on all of them but two different pieces……… I’m almost glad I missed seeing these early……….. cause I would have spent money I really didn’t have ‼️‼️‼️🎯👀😱😱😱😱‼️‼️Credit cards are way too high‼️Y’all saved me from myself‼️‼️‼️🎯🎯🎯👍👍👍👍👍

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

@D808LF said:
    @dcarr,

While I welcome Dan's reply, there is this:

@Zoins said:

...and this, from the info on the sales page for the Moonlight Mint:

Suitable coins can be very worn and/or polished. Avoid coins with planchet flaws, deep scratches, gouges, or edge cuts. Holes can be punched clean to a standard size and plugged with a 900 fine silver plug prior to over-striking. Add $50 per coin for hole plugging.

The closer it is to a smooth planchet, the better.

@Zoins said:

@COCollector said:

@Bullsitter said:

I’m not sure if there was a limit on the Elder satin pewter. I ordered 4 which was all that was remaining.

The lower-priced Elder re-strike (satin pewter) was the only Elder that wasn't limited to one per person/account. This was because there were a decent quantity of them available (100). But, as it turned out, one buyer took a big chunk of them.

All the "MM" counter-stamped and edge-marked Seated Liberties (which were struck on Morgan, Peace, and modern commemorative dollars) were also limited to one per person/account.

@Zoins said:

@dcarr said:
    As I remember, there were two phases to the design competition for the WW1 Centennial Dollar.

In the first phase, applicants submitted a resume and examples of their past work. This did not (yet) involve any designing for the WW1 coin.

From the pool of applicants from phase 1, the US Mint selected a number of artists to invite. Those invited were requested to submit renderings of their proposed design, as well as actual "sculpts" (galvanos). The Mint provided 9-inch diameter clear acrylic discs for artists to carve or use as bases for their sculpts.

This was an experimental program for the US Mint. It was the only design competition in recent times where actual sculpts were to be submitted by artists.

I carved my sculpts into the provided clear acrylic discs. I also cut 8-inch diameter black acrylic discs (which looked better than the clear, in my opinion). I submitted one set of clear sculpts and one set of black sculpts (and I kept one extra set of black sculpts). Eventually I also submitted two 38mm struck examples in silver.

Here are images of all the documents that I have regarding this design competition:

Original sketches:

Submitted renderings with different surface type and lighting style:

My extra set of black acrylic models:

Here is my letter that was sent with the materials:

This is the only related US Mint document that I have:

My mintages are documented on this page (second section from the top):
    moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_dollars_list.htm

Great info! Love all the history behind this and discussion of how the mint and Dan is producing coin designs for evaluation these days!

Were the struck silver pieces submitted associated with a letter as well? Just trying to get enough information to convince people the silver pieces should be patterns :)

I don't have the correspondence from when I submitted the struck coins. But that occurred a little later than the main submission of required items because it took me a little longer to make the struck pieces.

edited July 30, 2022 9:48PM

Here's another tip for those of us getting Liberty Seated Dollars now.

Don't overstrike a toner if you want to preserve the toning :)

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received shipping notification from Dan. Fastest order time yet.

@Zoins said:

So I shouldn't use one that looks like this? I am a blast white kind of guy so maybe it would get rid of all that color??

One good thing, this project is going to take a fair amount of details Liberty Seated Dollars and make them AMAZING looking. They are in the best hands in the business.

would you really be able to tell the difference between the mm and the one that was struck on a seated liberty?

• TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

@silverbul said:
    would you really be able to tell the difference between the mm and the one that was struck on a seated liberty?

The edge lettering would be the give away plus maybe some ghosting of the host coin.

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

So I shouldn't use one that looks like this? I am a blast white kind of guy so maybe it would get rid of all that color??

One good thing, this project is going to take a fair amount of details Liberty Seated Dollars and make them AMAZING looking. They are in the best hands in the business.

I'm guessing DC can make a toned o/s similar as shown above, just sayin'.

@D808LF said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

Interesting thought.

• TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

I guess I should have bought all of those and flipped them. Oh Well.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2022 5:46PM

I would have like to gotten ahold of the without stars Gobrecht version or the 1853 $1 w/rays. I'll keep an eye open on ebay I reckon.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

@D808LF said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

That type of toning pattern takes a fairly long time to form. Rapid toning of silver looks different, and is highly unpredictable.

@dcarr said:

@pcgscacgold said:

They were limited to one per person/account.

I’m glad you do that.

At one point I had one of each silver item you posted. I decided to leave them for others but I guess they ended up in a flippers hands. I was hoping your long time collectors would get them.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps Dan has written it elsewhere, but the number 19 seems rather random for a mintage limit for so many pieces. Was the number chosen because of some type of limitation?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wondered that myself. It was hard to resist not getting one of each but got the 1837 and 1874 CC. Yikes, that was a load there of new coins...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

@pcgscacgold said:

@dcarr said:

@pcgscacgold said:

They were limited to one per person/account.

I’m glad you do that.

At one point I had one of each silver item you posted. I decided to leave them for others but I guess they ended up in a flippers hands. I was hoping your long time collectors would get them.

For the most part, I do think they went to "collectors". I do not know who the eBay seller is.

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody is already feeding the flipper . . . . . .

Didn't have enough time to raise the cash before the shelves went bare this go-round.

I'm otherwise allocated.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the information.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@ZoidMeister said:

Somebody is already feeding the flipper . . . . . .

Didn't have enough time to raise the cash before the shelves went bare this go-round.

I'm otherwise allocated.

Z

thats me, i'l wait a while then retract my bid. i know.

edited August 1, 2022 8:07PM

Dan @dcarr Any thoughts on making a no stars Gobrecht Dollar or a no motto Liberty Seated Dollar? I imagine they would be nice for a type set :)

edited August 1, 2022 8:15PM

.> @Zoins said:

Dan @dcarr Any thoughts on making a no stars Gobrecht Dollar or a no motto Liberty Seated Dollar? I imagine they would be nice for a type set :)

I bet there's a Trade Dollar on Dan's to-do list.

@COCollector said:

@Zoins said:

I bet there's a Trade Dollar on Dan's to-do list.

it would be great to do US, British, and Japanese Trade Dollars!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file