Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

New Quarter Bank Box

Can't remember when I went through one last?

Let's GO...

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    New Quarter Bank Box

Can't remember when I went through one last?

Let's GO...

Been along time since I seen one of those... Good luck Joey!!

• Options

Thank You!
    ;)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Yep, haven't seen one of these in awhile too.
    :/

• Options
    edited June 30, 2022 12:44PM

Let's Try Again!

127 W ?

:*
    Silver?
    Variety?
    Error?
    Or Something else?

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got some quarters at my bank today, got pretty close to silver but not quite, a 66 and 2 67's nothing else worthwhile in the rolls, just a few clean moderns :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's 106 miles to Chicago, I've got 50 rolls of quarters, 12 rolls of pennies, 6 cans of PBR, it's dark, I'm wearing sunglasse...

"Hit it"

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

He took a proper acetone dip :smiley:
    Not in the greatest condition but really shows what this stuff can do.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 looks like a strike thru to me that has been smoothed over through years of circulation.
    What will you be searching in the meanwhile?

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    @rec78 looks like a strike thru to me that has been smoothed over through years of circulation.
    What will you be searching in the meanwhile?

Quarters and pennies, pennies, pennies. I can get 1 quarter box a week at my one bank and 2 penny boxes per week. Also whenever I go to any bank I ask them if I can get some penny rolls, these add up quick. $5 here, $10 there. and not enough time to search!

• Options

12 $ Rolls!

2000p Wounded Eagles
    1979p Near Dates
    Washington Missing Letters
    Washington Elongated Ray's
    Adams Missing Letters

Any strike throughs
    Beautiful Toners

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

12 $ Rolls!

2000p Wounded Eagles
    1979p Near Dates
    Washington Missing Letters
    Washington Elongated Ray's
    Adams Missing Letters

Any strike throughs
    Beautiful Toners

Is that your wish list?
    Or what you found?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:
    Is that your wish list?
    Or what you found?

Lol
    Those are all the possibilities in these rolls.
    Thanks

• Options

20 Quarter rolls completed.
    Toner

12 Dollar Rolls completed.
    John Quincy Adams
    "Missing Letters"

However, rough though.
    B)

• Options
    edited July 2, 2022 3:42PM

@Kurisu Those quarter rolls and
    @joeykoins cent rolls look delicious let us know what you find.
    🍒🍒🍒

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    The struggle is real :D
    At the airport waiting to board to get home I’m having roll searcher withdrawals.

Can't say I've ever seen anyone searching rolls on a flight. And I've been on A LOT of flights lol!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Me: Yes, can I get a box of customer wrapped penny rolls? Uhh, and any large silver coins you may have under the counter.
    Flight Attendant: Excuse me! You can have a box of shut the h*** up and put your D*** seatbelt on!

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2022 9:09PM

I would love to half dollar and dollar roll hunting very very much but finding them at my local banks/credit unions for face value is next to impossible...and the one time last week I DID find a couple of dollar rolls over half were all black and yucky looking...like Suzie was working in a coal mine or something :( YES I'm well aware they still spent the same but that's not really the point. :(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, I've got 50 rolls of quarters, 12 rolls of pennies, 6 cans of PBR, it's dark, I'm wearing sunglasse...

There's noooo place I'd rather coin roll hunt than right here...

With my rednecks...

White Sox...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CPz7pkYcgg

And Blue Ribbon beer! :blush:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3iVHxP8FQ

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    FairfaxthunderFairfaxthunder Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

Found this guy roll hunting this morning. Sorry about the pics-not sure how you all take such nice pics of coins-I was using my phone. Feel free to PM me with tips to take better pics-would be much appreciated.

• Options

I’m still trying to figure that out myself. Seems like there would be a resolution adjustment on a cell. I just got the new iPhone 13 pro and the pictures look just as pixelated as my old phone.

• Options
    SHAWNK4368SHAWNK4368 Posts: 45 ✭✭

New to the forum. Been coin hunting for 2 1/2 years. Used to have a lot of luck with loomis half dollar boxes, but those have really dried up lately. Last 90 boxes yielded 6 total silvers!! Anyone else hear that loomis is pulling silver now? I have heard this from numerous bank tellers. I used to do 7 boxes per week and at one point last year, all of my loomis orders were replaced by nf string and sons boxes for a month or so and then back to loomis. Since then, almost nothing. Been doing better with customer wrapped or coin machine bags when I can get them.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭

Merchants (some) have signs posted "coin shortage - please use exact change or credit card" or worded to that effect. I now know where all the coins are!!!!!!

• Options

My theory was that the coin shortage was caused by someone pulling silver due to current demand for it. Only quarters and dimes are hard to get from the banks I use. I can get pennies and nickels all day. Just a theory

• Options

@SHAWNK4368 said:
    My theory was that the coin shortage was caused by someone pulling silver due to current demand for it. Only quarters and dimes are hard to get from the banks I use. I can get pennies and nickels all day. Just a theory

I think the shortage was due to the pandemic and all of the people sitting at home when they could have been driving their armored trucks and other affiliated jobs etc. etc. etc.

• Options

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again."

Another Quarter box.

Persistence

• Options

@SHAWNK4368 said:

No, most silver coins are long gone from circulation. the few that we find are collection dumps. There are plenty of clad coins to go around. The so-called coin shortage, is not a real coin shortage, per se. The banks got shorted on coin delivery's due to the pandemic. Banks don't really want to be bothered with coins. The coins are there, it is getting them to the bank branches that is messed up.

• Options

@SHAWNK4368 said:

Nice haul! Did you check them for any varieties?

• Options

Yes, no varieties unfortunately, but still one of my best finds to date!!

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭

@SHAWNK4368 said:
    I agree that the coins are there and that there are delivery and staffing issues. I just personally noticed a big decline in my finds shortly after hearing rumors of new coin machines being used to sort any remaining silver out. I understand that it all comes from collection dumps usually by relatives or someone inheriting the collection and not being aware of what they have. I have had some good finds over the last few years and did especially well with Loomis boxes. Possibly just dried up in my area at this time. I had a very rare and lucky find of 183 silver quarters from a bank bag just last week from someone depositing them for face value. Got a nice profit from selling them to my LCS.

I should be so lucky!!! And by the way, don't forget to declare on your 2022 income tax return.

I also think silver coins come from kids "borrowing" coins from their parents coin collection.

• Options
    edited July 7, 2022 10:07AM

@SHAWNK4368 said:
    I agree that the coins are there and that there are delivery and staffing issues. I just personally noticed a big decline in my finds shortly after hearing rumors of new coin machines being used to sort any remaining silver out. I understand that it all comes from collection dumps usually by relatives or someone inheriting the collection and not being aware of what they have. I have had some good finds over the last few years and did especially well with Loomis boxes. Possibly just dried up in my area at this time. I had a very rare and lucky find of 183 silver quarters from a bank bag just last week from someone depositing them for face value. Got a nice profit from selling them to my LCS.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2022 10:08AM

@SHAWNK4368 said:

Wow!

Today's value= $638.40 melt.
    nice profit

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Glen2022 said:

@SHAWNK4368 said:

I should be so lucky!!! And by the way, don't forget to declare on your 2022 income tax return.

I also think silver coins come from kids "borrowing" coins from their parents coin collection.

Declare? Are you some kind of IRS agent :D
    Borrowing? Yea, with the full intent to repay the piggy bank C'Mon Man - Score 1 for the little guy Mr. Rogers :D

• Options

@SHAWNK4368 said:
    😯

WOWEE! I'm jealous! :o

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great haul.
    My silver finds are stuck in single digits.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Yeah, it was a lucky score!! Did 3 half dollar boxes today from String and Sons and got 2 90% and 4 40%. 6 total for the day. Not bad considering my last 90+ boxes also produced 6 silvers total. Definitely have to put in the time and effort to get the occasional big score. Still enjoy the hunt though.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SHAWNK4368 .... WOW!!! What a phenomenal find.... Sure is a great haul. Probably never hit that big a trove again. But you did it that time....Glad you got pictures. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file