Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    FairfaxthunderFairfaxthunder Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:

@Fairfaxthunder said:
    Found this guy roll hunting this morning. Sorry about the pics-not sure how you all take such nice pics of coins-I was using my phone. Feel free to PM me with tips to take better pics-would be much appreciated.

2 very simple techniques for better coin shots...

Hand hold the coin and figure out how close your phone will focus. Natural window daylight is best, not direct sunlight. Daylight sets a much higher shutter speed compared to even most bright room lights, fast shutter speed means sharper images.
    Figure out a comfortable way to hold the coin and put your camera holding arm kind of against your body...
    Take 10 or 20 photos.
    Go through the photos (take a moment to zoom in on each one and check for sharpness) and find the sharpest one. Delete the obviously blurry ones first is a good technique to do this quickly.
    Open that final winning image right in your phone's/camera's image editing tool (it probably looks like a pencil type icon) and crop the image so that it's pretty much all coin.

Set your phone on something like a soda can or stack of books with the camera over the edge...
    Set the coin under there and center it (your phone's camera has sharpest focus dead center in the screen) with some decent lighting and take a photo.
    Your camera is completely stabilized by the stack of stuff it's sitting on which makes the shutter speed matter much less.
    Zoom in and check the image for sharpness...crop the image...post it for us :smile:

Thank you - Soda can works well. Wasn't sure if folks were using DSLR/portrait lens or whatnot.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭

@Glen2022 said:

I also think silver coins come from kids "borrowing" coins from their parents coin collection.

Or at least their next door neighbor!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLSGTh20tUo

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2022 8:09PM

Went for a little hike, Denver is kinda hot.

Stopped by Chase and asked the nice teller for $100 of quarters.
    She turned to her supervisor who knows me well and said "do you have $200 of quarters?".
    The supervisor came out and gave her $300 of quarters.
    I put in my pin number and said thank you :blush:

Stopped by my credit union and got the usual.

Wish me things! :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice @Kurisu I did a little bit of bank hunting today myself with the little time I had available. Probably a box and a half of crusty zincs 😐

• Options

:p

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

35 skunk rolls and 35 to go.. I hope my luck changes!

• Options

Well on roll 53 got this baby bat W. Obverse has scratches but looks better in-hand

• Options

Finger feeder scratches on a dime and a nice toner nickel with a bunch of machine doubling on both sides...

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

During the last couple years I've done a lot of searching coin rolls. I found 26 West Point quarters, over 30 War nickels, silver dimes and silver quarters, proof coins to include nickels dimes quarters and half dollars. But the the strangest part of doing this is all the crap that people are throwing into coin wrappers just to fill up the roll. I pulled the crap out and I just put it in a drawer and this is what I haven't thrown away and have saved. I found these in nickel rolls

These in quarter rolls

These foreign coins were found in any type of roll that the person could fit them into

And these two were the strangest yet. A John Adam's presidential dollar and this holed washer that were shoved in rolls of quarters. Believe me it was hard to get the quarters out with John Adams and this holed washer crammed in with GW.

It's kind of funny looking at all this stuff now and just thinking about it. But I wasn't exactly laughing when I was pulling them out and had to add the appropriate amount of money back into the wrapper at my expense. Oh well, you have to make the rolls right to return them back to the bank.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Say, I don't know if any sort of number could be put on it but what would you guys say is the odds of finding a silver dime/quarter (1964 or earlier) in a regular bank roll? Perhaps say, finding a four leaf clover or winning your state's Pick 4 top prize (both are about 1:10,000)? Or even a 2009 nickel or dime for that matter!!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@joeykoins said:

CRHunt for the Weekend

Quarters & Nickels
    Start opening the Quarters in my car.
    Check out what was in the 5th roll.

Silverrrrr!

1952p

I'm so jelly...you can get a whole case of them without a second thought, all I got is one dime roll, three quarter rolls and four nickel rolls to swap in and out :( At least I do have a credit union and bank branch right next door to me to swap the rolls in and out! I'm especially jelly of those of you who actually can get half dollar and/or dollar rolls at face value on any sort of regular basis :(

WISHLIST
  • Options

@Estil said:
    Say, I don't know if any sort of number could be put on it but what would you guys say is the odds of finding a silver dime/quarter (1964 or earlier) in a regular bank roll? Perhaps say, finding a four leaf clover or winning your state's Pick 4 top prize (both are about 1:10,000)? Or even a 2009 nickel or dime for that matter!!

Years ago just outside of my apartment I found at least 3 four leaf clover‘s growing in a small patch.
    Yet I have never found a silver coin in a regular bank roll.
    Regardless I continue to play my states lottery as I will win it one day😁

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

CRH finds since my last post:
    "W" mint # 13 and my first Weir Farm "W". Lightly circulated-a very nice coin!

A 1963-D 90% silver Washington Quarter

A 2014-D Lincoln cent with a strike-through ?

1969-D Lincoln cent possible RPM?? (Please comment!! IS this an RPM or just a fat "D"?)

RPM?

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2022 10:43PM

Started my Nickel box.
    26th Roll

Silver Lamination Wartime

1943P

My 3rd Silver find in 2 bank boxes, so far.
    2-Washingtons
    1- Wartime

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

I’m feeling good about this haul :)
    One bank, 130 customer wrapped rolls, just started and already finding a lot of clean coins, toners, luster bombs, and multiple wheats in some rolls.

A lot 80’s and 90’s as well so I’ll take a couple days to make sure I don’t miss anything.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2022 2:20PM

New Box, new vicinity, new bank.
    An old friend. The "Holed" bank box!

Quarters

Let's GO...

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Brighter/Better Pics

• Options
    edited July 13, 2022 4:17PM

Another Fun Box!

:D

Let's GO...

Not Hunting 'wabbit' but Silver, varieties,errors,toners,proofs,key dates and esp.
    W's!

• Options

@rec78 said:
    No. 2
    VDDR-001 1-R-VIII

This is the first Indian head cent I have found coin roll hunting in over 50 years! Bank Wrapped roll! Not be miss-understood, I did not do much coin roll searching if any from 1974-2020.

Awesome coins!
    Esp that 2022p Quarter.
    Good find. Very popular right now.
    ;)

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    2022-P VDDR-001
    1-R-VIII

2022 and varieties STILL goin' strong!!!

gratz on your find.

glad to see V V still being updated!

VERY BIG gratz to the discoverer: Evelyn Rivera

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Wish me a handful of MS67 DDO FS-101 :grin:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

"Out with the old, in with the new."
    New Box!

:)

• Options

Usually green ones aren't so...pleasing.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited July 15, 2022 2:28PM

Another pretty toner, soooo nice in hand :smiley:
    Those two non toned areas that point to her portrait really stand out.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited July 16, 2022 7:54AM

@JWP said:

Usually I can go through two to three boxes of quarters and not find anything that I'm really looking for. Got lucky this box. The W quarters are still out there and just waiting to be found.

Congratulations.
    Yep, In your box you found 4 W's. My previous box, I found 3.
    Like you mentioned, they're still are out there.
    And the last 2 I found, were in spectacular condition too!
    ;)

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@JWP said:

Usually I can go through two to three boxes of quarters and not find anything that I'm really looking for. Got lucky this box. The W quarters are still out there and just waiting to be found.

Congratulations.
    Yep, In your box you found 4 W's. My previous box, I found 3.
    Like you mentioned, they're still are out there.
    And the last 2 I found, were in spectacular condition too!
    ;)

These four weren't in the best shape but but still in Fairly good shape. Just return the box with 47 rolls back to the bank. When I get back home I'll finish up the box pennies I picked up the same time yesterday. Coin roll hunting is kind of fun and you never know what you're going to find. You just got to do it love it.

• Options

Just going through the box of pennies and I found this little 2013 Beauty. My granddaughters birthday is soon and she was born in 2013 so I think this has her name written all over it.

The pictures don't do justice to the coin as it looks beautiful in your hand. I just don't think I can quite get the lighting right, but it has a beautiful blue ring around the reverse and a little bit of blue on the obverse. Got lucky with this box too finding this one.

• Options

@SHAWNK4368 said:
    Quick score from 7 customer wrapped rolls. 13 40%ers!!

Not bad of a haul.
    $36 worth of Silver
    Congrats
    ;)

• Options
    edited July 16, 2022 8:14PM

6 $ Rolls

Let's GO...
    "Wounded Eagle" ?
    :*

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just 2 more finds:
    1. a 1964 90% silver quarter
    2. a 2020-S American Samoa bat quarter business strike "S" mint, NIFC!

• Options

@joeykoins said:

6 $ Rolls

Let's GO...
    "Wounded Eagle" ?
    :*

Yep,

• Options
    edited July 18, 2022 3:51PM

5 & 5
    5$ rolls / 5 hundred $'s, of Quarters

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i haven't looked very often and don't recall seeing any but are the S mint 2021/2022 quarters scarce in circulation/rolls?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    5 & 5
    5$ rolls / 5 hundred $'s, of Quarters

Oh well, in a rut.
    :/

• Options
    edited July 19, 2022 11:05AM

I have tested positive, can't get to the back, no coin roll hurting, sitting in isolation blues...

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    I have the tested positive, can't qet to the back, no coin roll hurting, sitting in isolation blues...

Bummer! Get well soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file