Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu I’d be quite alright with 67 and the PL. This might not carry much weight but if you examine the 68’s in CoinFacts you’ll see they too have their fair share of nicks and don’t look as hammered. But again my main goal here is PL and both might be asking too much. We’ll get to see in around 3 months hopefully less. :)

Then I’ll add, if this doesn’t PL then I don’t know what would.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins.... Still finding the W quarters - That is great. I did get a bright, new Maya Angelou quarter in the Coinstar reject bin... First I had seen in the wild. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Kliao ... Those W's just keep coming.... You and Joey must be finding them all... making them scarce in circulation :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2022 11:06PM

Let's GO...

46 Half Rolls/20 Quarter Rolls

Half Dollar results,

Yep, it happens.
    All's Good.
    Quarter rolls, better results.
    Thanks

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm smiling...
    A couple more for the collection.
    Until I open them :blush:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Kliao ... Those W's just keep coming.... You and Joey must be finding them all... making them scarce in circulation :D;) Cheers, RickO

Blame it on Joey. Including the 2 above, I only found 8 W's so far. ;)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

Going back to my Cent Bank Box.
    A Lincoln CRHunted, worth keeping and sharing!

Despite carbon spots.
    I Love it.
    B)
    Thanks

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Awwwww yeah!

Oooohhhh Nooo!

Literally stopped me in my tracks. For some reason I see VERY few toners here in Denver from local Loomis rolls (for 30 years now). I'm guessing it's our absurdly dry air. Denver and the "Front Range" are technically a high-plains desert.

This is a total luster bomb and the toning shows from almost any angle.
    It was obviously exposed to something but it's ridiculous in hand.
    Flipped it over and Doh!
    That bright green is old paint or something, it's got thickness...he's taking an overnight dip in acetone and then maybe xylene too...and maybe that answers that question about what caused the toning.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Let us know how that works out. Every cent I ever put in acetone absolutely ruined it.

• Options
    edited June 9, 2022 4:40PM

@Coinscratch said:
    Let us know how that works out. Every cent I ever put in acetone absolutely ruined it.

Actually I misspoke, I always try the xylene first...
    But in this case I'll try some detergent water first for a day or so...
    I'll let you know...

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@Coinscratch said:

Actually I misspoke, I always try the xylene first...
    I'll let you know...

One of my favorite years 1985 because it created some of the best luster bombs that come in an array of toners. I probably have 40 or 50 that are absolute stunners until you get close enough to see the carbon spots. These two almost went on my last order but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

When you buy original bank rolls online look for the plastic shrink wrapped rolls. The enders still get the toning but w/o the roller marks, and in this case the carbon spots too.😬

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol! Thanks Ricko, to be clear, that was not a single find.. > @Kurisu said:

Awwwww yeah!

Oooohhhh Nooo!

Literally stopped me in my tracks. For some reason I see VERY few toners here in Denver from local Loomis rolls (for 30 years now). I'm guessing it's our absurdly dry air. Denver and the "Front Range" are technically a high-plains desert.

This is a total luster bomb and the toning shows from almost any angle.
    It was obviously exposed to something but it's ridiculous in hand.
    Flipped it over and Doh!
    That bright green is old paint or something, it's got thickness...he's taking an overnight dip in acetone and then maybe xylene too...and maybe that answers that question about what caused the toning.

Looks like someone used that penny as a fuse...

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tonight at the grocery store I snagged $1.80 from the CoinStar machine reject bin.

Included in the coins was a VG 1940S nickel, an AU toned 1974D nickel and an AU 1984P dime.

Not a biggie, but heck it is $1.80 in free money.

• Options

Coin star thread/ coin roll thread, I often confuse the two too.

• Options

Another one... gotta catch 'em all :blush:
    I've been managing to get these for around $30 each by the way!!! $25 of coins in there :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu At that price you can’t go wrong.

• Options

Just came home with some customer rolls.
    Fun! Didn't expect that :smiley:

Only 1.38 million.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭

I just recently took the plunge on this myself!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@Estil Best of luck and which denomination will you be searching?

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    @Estil Best of luck and which denomination will you be searching?

I guess all of them...the current ones anyway. I'm not doing the 2000- dollar coins though...wouldn't mind getting the Ike dollars though.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

Sometimes the Universe is listening... I complain about a lack of toners in Denver... and...

My goodness this one is nuts at every angle!
    So fierce in hand B) snapshots do it no justice.
    My phone's camera was having a hard time with it lol

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited June 11, 2022 8:55PM

Clipped Quarter Planchet

I think I see a partial Blakesley effect?

• Options

@joeykoins

I did that :o

• Options

c00l :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭✭

Not a CRH find, but I did pull a 73-S Washington Proof from circulation yesterday. Very weak CAM and some wear, but otherwise in decent shape.

imageimage

• Options

Couple of more Quarter Finds.
    Recently, I found a Clipped Planchet.
    A broadstruck, I believe?

Plus, finally hunted down an "Extra Tree"
    Minnesota!

Normal Reverse

DDR Reverse Extra Tree

Quite rough but still the Variety!
    Thanks
    ;)

• Options

A superbly speckled specimen...smallpox?

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Went for a beautiful walk after work last night.
    Remembered I had a couple of rolls of halves in my console and decided to pull a @joeykoins before walking...

Spotted a strange blue edge and apparently...I'm a jerk lol.

After thinking about it for a minute I realize that the graffiti was probably someone calling the original defacer a jerk...which is even funnier to me.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:

Monkey Pox.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2022 6:33PM

Excited to have a few more from my favorite Chase :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

I cured my monkey pox in 2020 with a tuition payment :D Those coins have some serious reflection I thought I hit the mother lode :D

• Options

@Coinscratch ... Now that group looks as if it could produce some interesting coins. Good luck and let us know. Cheers, RickO

• Options

It used to be Saturday morning cartoons... :blush:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    0ronron0ronron Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Out of 2 boxes of halves, eh, nice start..

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

• Options

@0ronron... Nice silver '67 and '68.... What is the significance of the '72? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @0ronron... Nice silver '67 and '68.... What is the significance of the '72? Cheers, RickO

I was wondering the same thing...

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too am in a severe dry spell.
    Nothing found recently but will continue with the hunt.
    Still have 20 cent rolls to go thru.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    0ronron0ronron Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2022 10:51AM

@Joe_360 said:

@ricko said:

I was wondering the same thing...

just slightly off center on obverse-nothing for a premium, just first one I have found.

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

• Options

Made me smile...this design is my favorite!
    From one of the credit union Loomis rolls.
    There were a couple Maya's in the roll too, so the W's are definitely still hiding in plain sight :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2022 8:43PM

@GiveMeProof said:

@Kurisu said:

Monkey Pox.

Cow Pox

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Here are a few finds from common mintages -
    I have highlighted the "errors"
    The 1992 cent had a tail below the first 9
    The 1994 D cent is the first cent I found with well stamped lettering
    The 1999 D nickel appears to be a planchet error with grating marks on Obv & Rev
    The 1968 D dime has Obv / Rev die clash imprints (see expansion on far right)
    The 1998 D dime appears as if someone took a Shillelagh stick to it-
    I can't figure if this a planchet error or post mint damage.
    The 200? D dime has a dating problem
    The 2020 Salt River Quarter looks like it is blushing
    The 1969 Quarter is very silvery though a clad coin
    and has a lot of "sand blast" texture

Enjoy - And please comment on these coins - they are all grocery store change !

• Options

@sfs2002usa my home computer screen zoom thingie isn’t working so I can’t get in close enough but… Your 1999 nickel reminds me of a 76 quarter I found the other day. I’m going to the main forum to ask questions.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2022 12:12AM

My latest coin roll hunting finds since my last post.
    1-1987-D Kennedy
    25 NIFC dates 2002-2020
    3 1964 90% silver Kennedy half dollars.
    3 Proof Kennedy half dollars 1971-S, 1973-S and a 1974-S
    2-90% silver Washington quarters- a 1962 and a 1956
    A few common wheat cents.

I got some rolls of pennies. Apparently smoeone used a coin stacker (measure) as a counter, as least that is the way it seems. Some rolls had 51 cents in them and others had 49. These all evened out and I made sure they all had 50 cents in them when I returned them. I do not keep the coppers dated from 1959-1982, some people do.

One of the bank wrapped quarter rolls from the federal reserve had only 35 quarters in it. (-$1.25) :(
    Five of the customer wrapped penny rolls had a dime replacing a penny (+ 9 cents x5=+45 cents) :)
    One of the customer wrapped penny rolls had 50 cents with 3 extra dimes stuffed in the one end. (+30 cents)😊
    Total - 50 cents.😢

• Options

@rec78 .... You did really well on silver Kennedy halves.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@rec78
    I do keep them, basically leaving for my kids so who knows what the future will bring. Also can assemble S series, small dates , etc...

I do not keep the coppers dated from 1959-1982, some people do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file