Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    Just got this roll in. Not opened yet. My first WLH ender.

same roll for both? that'll be an amazing roll.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2022 11:36AM

Follow CRH,
    Getting more and more difficult to find W's! Went thru 45 rolls over the weekend with nothing. I picked a 10 rolls earlier this week and got lucky and got a 2020 Vermont W and a 2013 S clad proof (has seen its share of circulation) so that was nice, but it seems more and more like to get one hit it takes 60 to 80 rolls or more (I am on the Westcoast). Also harder to get 2019 W's, and most finds are heavily circulated, hence that why they are still out there. I haven't given up yet...

Let see what this weekend brings, I have 49 rolls of quarters and 12 rolls of cents. Will see...

• Options
    edited June 23, 2022 3:26PM

Locked and loaded...

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont know about locked but I’ll be loaded next week on vacation :) I wonder if there are any banks in the keys?

• Options

Fishing banks are the only banks I’ll be a huntin.

• Options
    0ronron0ronron Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Such a dry spell
    This Picasso was the most interesting thing a whole box :/

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great score on the Kennedys.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@0ronron said:
    Such a dry spell
    This Picasso was the most interesting thing a whole box :/

Getting tougher... Good luck next box....

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

do you regular CRH guys and gals have an assembled master list or at least the top 100+ things to look for? i wouldn't mind learning a few new ones and seeing if i can make a few decent contributions.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@JWP said:
    I picked up two boxes of pennies and a box of nickels yesterday. I only went through the box of nickels but I found this Jefferson nickel that I'm told is a struck through capped die coin. I've never found one before and have to say I was extremely lucky to find this one.
    I wonder if this nickel is worth getting it graded?

excellent find. also called a late state brockage whereas an earlier state would still have much more detail of whichever side it was struck through.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited June 25, 2022 12:45PM

i saw someone post a variety about the bat quarter and said something about the blind bat, which i'm guessing is die chips where the eyes would be or perhaps severe die abrasion, essentially removing the eyes from one or more of the dies.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    do you regular CRH guys and gals have an assembled master list or at least the top 100+ things to look for? i wouldn't mind learning a few new ones and seeing if i can make a few decent contributions.

I remember seeing a tuber that had a master list. I could use but just rely on memory for Lincoln’s. Problem is all of the stuff not listed on my main list, PCGS.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

I give myself regular refreshers before searching batches of denominations.
    Even after all these years. Probably because I don't specialize all that much in particular coins or varieties.
    My favorite "variety" is currently U.S. Mint rolls :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

2020 W Samoa V75

2019 W Memorial

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78.... Wow!!! Now THAT is a great CRH haul. Congratulations on a super haul. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@rec78 said:
    Finally!! An Epic box of halves! All the below from One $500 box!!

Congratulations
    Happy for you!
    ;)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is outstanding guys! I see the same type of results on this end as well.

No doubt in my mind people are cleaning out, rummaging through their draws, couch cushions and spending their jars of coins, during this suck economy!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@Fairfaxthunder Thank you for joining in with us! I haven’t made time to search and destroy estate sales just yet so, my first questions would be how much are they asking and what type of rolls have you seen? I have been buying off the Bay and somewhat indiscriminately yet careful to mark sellers selling rerolled crap which is probably 90 to 95%. Obviously rolls that look opened or loose, buyers that only show one end, and then of course the infamous “look at this ender “ are the ones to avoid. However, recently I purchased (auction) a roll of 1952S Nickels that looked opened on one end
    yet one of them graded MS 67 pop 7/1 PG 1,050.00 but again that may have been a searcher looking for full steps/PG 30k. This particular seller had a very short history and his roll was the only coin related item out of the 10 or 15 he listed = Big Hint!

But now I have relegated to the fact that finding high-end varieties requires more patience than I possess. You could look through literally thousands of boxes containing thousands of coins each and never find one. So my focus has evolved to basically the one thing that the entire coin collecting community relies on… Grade.

Within that endeavor you can absolutely and completely give up fed rolled boxes. Those have been through the machine too many times. I always request customer wrapped rolls and even for this there is no guarantee. And in fact 6 times out of 10 you will be getting pre-searched rolls. And you will know pretty much right away after a couple of rolls by the type of quality that are falling out. The other four times you will get actual nice quality coins from a particular era and of a particular degree of quality. However it may require 15 or 20 of those lucky type of good quality coin roll finds before you actually find one worthy of having graded.

For this reason I have shifted even further to searching all types and manner of souvenir and mint sets.
    Yet, nothing compares to finding that aforementioned collection dump that somebody had in an Ozarka bottle for the last 20 or 30 years and finally took to the bank. And of course being lucky never hurts :-)

• Options

@Joe_360.... You poste "#468".... Does that mean you have found 468 W quarters??? :o Or is that a reference to something else? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinHunter4CoinHunter4 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

I think he meant #168...?

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    edited June 27, 2022 6:11AM

@CoinHunter4 said:
    I think he meant #168...?

No,,, he didn't.

• Options

@Joe_360 ... Thanks for the reply.... Wow!! I think you are the world record holder for found W quarters. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Joe_360.... You poste "#468".... Does that mean you have found 468 W quarters??? :o Or is that a reference to something else? Cheers, RickO

Waylon Jennings sang that Bob Wills is the King of Western Swing.. Well, Joeykoins is is the King of Circulated W Roll Hunters, he can not be matched as to all of his W, Silver and error finds!!!

I was just lucky that in a small California town I had a network of folks helping me. I started out looking for W's as a coin collector, and soon found that I could turn it into a small business opportunity for purchasing silver dollars...

Below is the breakdown of my W finds:

• Options

Awesome, dude!

I love your summary graphics.
    The Tallgrass and Memorial, along with the Weir Farms. Are the best to find.
    Congratulations
    ;)

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

@ricko said:

Waylon Jennings sang that Bob Wills is the King of Western Swing.. Well, Joeykoins is is the King of Circulated W Roll Hunters, he can not be matched as to all of his W, Silver and error finds!!!

I was just lucky that in a small California town I had a network of folks helping me. I started out looking for W's as a coin collector, and soon found that I could turn it into a small business opportunity for purchasing silver dollars...

Below is the breakdown of my W finds:

amazing!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

That is just plan BRILLIANT Joe!! You were in the right place at the right time for sure!!

What's you plain for grading?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    That is just plan BRILLIANT Joe!! You were in the right place at the right time for sure!!

Oakstar,
    You have uncovered my weak-spot... The coins that I kept, I cherry-picked, but I do not have an "eye" for grading...

I wish that I knew how and what to send in for grading, I don't want to waste money on grading, just to find out that I am a poor judge and get back MS 62/63 or even just 64... Risk verses Reward Ugh!!!

This is where I would need the help others (You, Joeykoins, and Ricko)....

Thanks Joe

• Options
    edited June 27, 2022 11:45AM

@Joe_360 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Oakstar,
    You have uncovered my weak-spot... The coins that I kept, I cherry-picked, but I do not have an "eye" for grading...

I wish that I knew how and what to send in for grading, I don't want to waste money on grading, just to find out that I am a poor judge and get back MS 62/63 or even just 64... Risk verses Reward Ugh!!!

Thanks Joe

Join the crowd here Joe..... well, me anyway! 🤣 I'm in the same boat as you with my non-professional grading skills. Even thought the guys here are a great asset to help with grading, pictures can only help so much.

I learned thru trial and error. Learning what to look for and what not to look for on a coin. You want 67's or better with these, in my opinion. From the looks of your inventory, you're right there!! My hunting and haul had the same exact look as yours. Boxes of new 2019's and 20's with W enders.

I practiced my non-professional grading skills with ANACS,.... lesser fees/quicker turnaround time. Although it's only ANACS, I surprised myself with more then several 67's.

Take your time and look at as many 67 examples an possible. Good luck and keep us posted on any results!

• Options

@Joe_360 ... I have been looking for one in the wild... I cannot believe how many 'War in the Pacific' you have found.... I hope that is the one I get in change. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Joe_360 ... I have been looking for one in the wild... I cannot believe how many 'War in the Pacific' you have found.... I hope that is the one I get in change. Cheers, RickO

You're lucky. People here must like you. You can just sit back and wait for members to send them to you. 😂 🤣

• Options

@ricko said:

Hi Ricko, The WIP was a good thing and bad, I got so many, I got cocky and thought that would be the norm... Well that was not the case, and I wish that I had some of them back...

You have been a good advisor to me on this forum, I'll let you know the next one that I find.. Thanks Joe

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Joe_360 ... Thanks for the reply.... Wow!! I think you are the world record holder for found W quarters. Cheers, RickO

Not even close...😉

• Options

@Joe_360 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Oakstar,

Thanks Joe

Joe, best to use a regular incandescent light bulb overhead and look for ANY scratches or oil spots by tilting the coin. If you can see a scratch or oil spot don't send it in for grading if you want a MS67 or higher.😉

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Awesome, dude!

Congratulations
    ;)

Gotta disagree somewhat. The most valuable depending on condition are the 2019 American Memorial, River Of No Return and the 2020 American Samoa Bats, Marsh-Billings W quarters. 😎

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@joeykoins said:

Awesome, dude!

Congratulations
    ;)

Gotta disagree somewhat. The most valuable depending on condition are the 2019 American Memorial, River Of No Return and the 2020 American Samoa Bats, Marsh-Billings W quarters. 😎

Agree, but somewhat depends on location. I would pull-out the Samoa and add the Weir, also the Lowell is far and few...

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@joeykoins said:

Awesome, dude!

Congratulations
    ;)

However
    I did sell a PCGS ms 67 Tallgrass I graded
    for $700 at a previous coin show.
    :)

• Options

You’ll know when you have a good one Joe. Cartwheel luster will be the first thing you see and will override a few nicks and/or stains to garner a 67.
    Take away the blemishes and earn a plus. Then add some eye appeal and heavy strike for a 68.

• Options

2019 W San Antonio

:)

• Options

@Fairfaxthunder

To respond here simply hit the quote button and then type at the bottom of that response. Or just put an @ symbol in front of the person you want to ping.
    We want the conversation here and not on my homepage so others can input.

I’ve heard of people having success with buying bags of wheats but I’m skeptical of buying into anything for searching that comes from a fellow searcher. Doesn’t add up. I’m on vacation but will be contemplating what you can do to find change w/o driving to another state.
    @Kurisu any ideas?

• Options
    FairfaxthunderFairfaxthunder Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    @Fairfaxthunder

To respond here simply hit the quote button and then type at the bottom of that response. Or just put an @ symbol in front of the person you want to ping.

I’ve heard of people having success with buying bags of wheats but I’m skeptical of buying into anything for searching that comes from a fellow searcher. Doesn’t add up. I’m on vacation but will be contemplating what you can do to find change w/o driving to another state.
    @Kurisu any ideas?

Ahhh - I see now - thank you! Enjoy your vacation!

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    @Fairfaxthunder

@Kurisu any ideas?

Self service power car wash stations often have change machines that take up to $20's :smile: Some of them give small dollars change.

I've had plenty of luck over the years with ebay but it takes some serious practice and learning to find sellers with the real deals. Plenty of wheat rolls being sold on ebay are actually vintage rolls (only about 10-30 years old imho) but old enough to have good stuff and be worth $10 or $20 a roll or even more if the rolls seem good.

Craigslist occasionally too...just do things safely and in public. Meeting in a library meeting room is a good option if you decide to meet someone to look at coins/rolls.

Ask at your local supermarket's service counter, some will be happy to sell you a roll or two.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 10:14AM

Waiting on the kayak guide :D

Yes I forgot about grocery stores I found all 22 of my 2019 Lowell W’s from new Loomis rolls at my local grocery store. No 67‘s but two of them went 66, Several 65 and 64 and of course one with the label “machine roll damage”.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:

Self service power car wash stations often have change machines that take up to $20's :smile: Some of them give small dollars change.

I DID in fact discover one of those machines at one of them car wash places (it only takes up to ten spots though) just a few hundred yards or so away from me so hopefully I can do dollar coin hunting that way! A little over ten years ago I worked in a place that had a change machine that took up to $20s and yes did give out dollar coins...you could pretend like you were in Vegas and hit the jackpot! :blush:

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file