Options

Flight cancelations and FUN

Comments

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins

Calling Zoins

Hello?👀👀

Please start new thread listing FUN cancellations before this thread is locked😉

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 2:50PM

@Byers said:
    @Zoins

Calling Zoins

Hello?👀👀

Please start new thread listing FUN cancellations before this thread is locked😉

There's a separate thread here now:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1068696/fun-cancellation-list/

It has this updated list, which I'll maintain in both threads.

Partial Cancellations

1. PCGS: no on-site grading, no cocktail party
    2. Heritage: no auctions
    3. NSDR: no banquet

Full Cancellations

1. U.S. Mint
    2. Brad Rodgers of Numismatic Emporium Inc.
    3. CDN Publishing
    4. Doug Winter
    5. Eagle Eye Rare Coins (Rick Snow)
    6. Fred Weinberg
    7. Harlan J Berk (Aaron Berk and others)
    8. Harry Laibstain
    9. Julian Leidman
    10. Kevin Lipton
    11. London Coin Wholesalers
    12. Mike Byers
    13. Sheridan Downey
    14. Tampa Bay Gold and Silver Corp
    15. Witter Coins (Seth Chandler and others)
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2021 1:10PM

@savitale said:
    It’s too bad folks have to argue. If you want to go, go. If you want to stay home, stay home. No need to argue.

Everyone is making their own decision to go or not.

This thread is just informational.

Let's keep the discussion alive.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 1:39PM

@thebeav said:
    CNN Headlines this am:

"6 Georgia health systems seeing 100 to 200% increase in Covid-19 hospitalizations".

So called statistics like this are meaningless. Were there 750,000 people hospitalized and now there are 1.5 million ? Or were 9 people in the hospital and now there are 18......

Really? Here are some more stats for you then, are they meaningless?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic
    Last updated: December 30, 2021, 20:30 GMT

World
    Deaths:

United States
    Deaths:

Here is the graph for US Deaths:

As you can see, there was a decline in deaths through November and into December as cases from Delta were going down, but now it has reversed itself and climbing again. So are these stats meaningless or is there something to the omicron variant? As the 'meaningless' stats are showing, the overwhelming majority of hospitalizations and deaths are within the group that is unvaxxed/boosted right now. As lanzaf says, no doubt this is all media hype...... Is it? Alot of families out there who have lost a loved one or experience long covid, can tell you otherwise IMO.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Latest:

'Airline cancellations could get worse this weekend'

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/30/business/airline-cancellations/index.html

Things are degrading by the day, this is really a bummer for FUN, sadly.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

there's a few more MCO cancellations showing right now. a pie chart would have the biggest slice as jetblue

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am surprised nobody has discussed the flying home part. I guess it would be best to plan to be there a while. Between canceled return flights and the need to isolate after a positive test, the trip could become 2+ weeks long.

Best of luck to all.

• Options

@hedgefundtradingdesk said:
    So will everyone bail on NY International, which has 4x the case rate of Orlando? Or are PCGS and Heritage being nakedly political here?

pcgs already has listed "Submissions Only" for NYC
    HA does not seem to have an in-person auction then

as an additional note,that may or may not play in, NYC is a vax card only city.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

MCO and the Mysery Map (which looks pretty miserable compared to even a heavy thunderstorm day):

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aaron Berk from Harlan J Berk just announced they will not be attending FUN but are still hoping that NYINC will be on.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

DLRC sent an email and said they are still going but are watching and will send follow up

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    edited December 30, 2021 2:57PM

Good updates on Harlan J. Berk and DLRC @SmEagle1795 and @Mgarmy!

I added Harlan J. Berk to the list.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@hedgefundtradingdesk said:
    So will everyone bail on NY International, which has 4x the case rate of Orlando? Or are PCGS and Heritage being nakedly political here?

pcgs already has listed "Submissions Only" for NYC
    HA does not seem to have an in-person auction then

as an additional note,that may or may not play in, NYC is a vax card only city.

Does being vax card only make it more or less likely people will go?

• Options

good question.

a few forumites have expressed more interest in going to LB when they required vax or test

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is more information contained in this thread than can be wrung from any news agency (IMHO). Thanks.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

ColonelJessup has been banned.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    I am surprised nobody has discussed the flying home part. I guess it would be best to plan to be there a while. Between canceled return flights and the need to isolate after a positive test, the trip could become 2+ weeks long.

Best of luck to all.

A good point. I wonder what fraction of dealers and attendees fly vs drive. I would guess more than 50% of dealers drive, and a lot more than 50% of attendees drive.

• Options

RogerB and CJ have so much to offer everyone on the forum.

They just had to dance the dance... but didn't

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:

@pcgscacgold said:

Best of luck to all.

A good point. I wonder what fraction of dealers and attendees fly vs drive. I would guess more than 50% of dealers drive, and a lot more than 50% of attendees drive.

I ONLY drive. Like driving to begin with + hate dealing with airports.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2021 3:27PM

@fishteeth said:
    Everyone has me second guessing going. I have already had Covid and luckily was just a bad headache, loss of taste and smell for me. I don't want to get it again, but know I can, but at the same time I want to live my life. I spend my weeks digging around in peoples mouths so sitting at a coin show with a bunch of people really does not bother me. I know mask work (at least good mask). I know this because I wear a mask and eyewear every day and see hundreds of patients a day, many who have later called to say they ended up being Covid positive. I ended up catching Covid from playing poker with a group of friends.
    What I am worried about is getting stuck in Orlando and missing work the next week.
    My wife who is a cardiac intensive care nurse who does ECMO and first hand sees what is going on has told me to go on my trip. I wonder if she is trying to get rid of me. A week ago I was full on going to this show no matter what. Now at best 50/50

seems flightaware is indicating the cancellations are mostly coming from JetBlue and United.

Covid? well....

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

jmlanzaf probably complained about being verbally assaulted by the Colonel. :o

• Options

For future shows, this graph provides cautious optimism - Omi was first ID'ed in South Africa, looks like they are already on the downside. Next week will be in the peak for us, not good for FUN......

And on the lighter side, here is a Tour de France fan predicting the names of the next major variants, she got omicron right, will we now see opicron next?

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

Not right.

• Options

What post got him banned?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 4:37PM

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@CoinHoarder said:

Nope. I didn't take anything he said as being even close to a verbal insult much less an assault.

Any other brilliant deductions?

Rick and I have been getting along fine lately. In fact, he actually compliments me in his last post.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2021 4:38PM

@spacehayduke said:

@thebeav said:
    CNN Headlines this am:

"6 Georgia health systems seeing 100 to 200% increase in Covid-19 hospitalizations".

So called statistics like this are meaningless. Were there 750,000 people hospitalized and now there are 1.5 million ? Or were 9 people in the hospital and now there are 18......

Really? Here are some more stats for you then,
    As you can see, there was a decline in deaths through November and into December as cases from Delta were going down, but now it has reversed itself and climbing again. So are these stats meaningless or is there something to the omicron variant? As the 'meaningless' stats are showing, the overwhelming majority of hospitalizations and deaths are within the group that is unvaxxed/boosted right now. As lanzaf says, no doubt this is all media hype...... Is it? Alot of families out there who have lost a loved one or experience long covid, can tell you otherwise IMO.

Best, SH

I never said anything remotely close to that. I said to look at official data sources and not CNN Headlines.

• Options

Must not have been on this thread. This thread has been civil

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2021 5:08PM

@Mgarmy said:

He stated in his last post (the one where he administered a virtual knee to someone's groin) to this thread that it would probably get him banned. Unfortunately, he was prophetic... as he often was.

• Options

T > @CoinJunkie said:

@Mgarmy said:

He stated in his last post (the one where he administered a virtual knee to someone's groin) to this thread that it would probably get him banned. Unfortunately, he was prophetic... as he often was.

He's still on the CAC forum if anyone misses him.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    T > @CoinJunkie said:

@Mgarmy said:

Thanks for the warning.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    T > @CoinJunkie said:

@Mgarmy said:

Thanks for the warning.

Oh. He grows on you.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@thebeav said:
    CNN Headlines this am:

Are you kidding? I did not say that STATISTICS are meaningless. I said the one I quoted was., and I stand by that. You could have saved your time posting your textbook of stats. They're not relevant to my post.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@CoinHoarder said:

Nope. I didn't take anything he said as being even close to a verbal insult much less an assault.

Rick and I have been getting along fine lately. In fact, he actually compliments me in his last post.

I was referring to the virtual knee to the groin he spoke of.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:

@spacehayduke said:

@thebeav said:
    CNN Headlines this am:

Are you kidding? I did not say that STATISTICS are meaningless. I said the one I quoted was., and I stand by that. You could have saved your time posting your textbook of stats. They're not relevant to my post.

I read somewhere that 67.3% of all statistics are made up. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

I ONLY drive. Like driving to begin with + hate dealing with airports.

I like airplanes and hate driving. There’s room for everybody! 😀

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

I hope it is a short-term ban, although he did predict it.

peacockcoins

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Swampboy said:
    Suicide by mod does have a certain je ne sais quoi

Translation (I think?):
    "A quality that cannot be described or named easily."

peacockcoins

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    CNN Headlines this am:

Exactly! CNN and other news outlets like to scare folks with percent increases, rather than reporting the numbers. I used to watch CNN, but seems to have gone into the dumpster. My opinion, which is my constitutional right to have.

Gotta love it!

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@CoinHoarder said:

I was referring to the virtual knee to the groin he spoke of.

That wasn't aimed at me.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2021 6:44PM

@BigDowgie said:

@thebeav said:
    CNN Headlines this am:

Exactly! CNN and other news outlets like to scare folks with percent increases, rather than reporting the numbers. I used to watch CNN, but seems to have gone into the dumpster. My opinion, which is my constitutional right to have.

Gotta love it!

Here are some numbers for Georgia:

• cases are way up, at all time highs
    • deaths are relatively low
    • hospitalizations are trending up and at 2,587 from a recent low of 1,074

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/region/us/georgia

• Options

Well….

Back to flight cancellations…

Where is that flight aware link?

• Options
    edited December 30, 2021 6:19PM

Case numbers are high but mild for those who are vaccinated.

A question is whether having a case of Covid would prevent someone from boarding a plane?

• Options
    edited December 30, 2021 6:58PM

@MsMorrisine said:

@Zoins said:
    Case numbers are high but mild for those who are vaccinated.

A question is whether having a case of Covid would prevent someone from boarding a plane?

Morally? IMO, yes.

For some, sure, but what about the people who think everyone is going to get it anyway?

There was also the neighbor who gave Covid to a forum member while talking without masks and social distancing, while knowing she had Covid without disclosing it. I'm guessing she didn't think there was any moral issue. I looked for the post but I think it was in the thread that was shut down.

• Options
    edited December 30, 2021 6:37PM

Well….

Back to flight cancellations

Looking over my link on page 1 still has JetBlue, united, and spirit with the lion share of cancellations

This is into/out of MCO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

sadly the ANA's intermediate grading course got cancelled today.

it seems to be related to PCGS not going as one of the instructors was going to bring some of PCGS grading set.

Most of my reservations seem not cancellable, so I will just fill my time going to SeaWorld a couple days. My airline (Delta) has been having some delays. It is possible that more airline employees will be taking mandatory recovery days after a positive test after the Christmas / New Years rush.

This discussion has been closed.