Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread - Flipping Posts Welcome!*****

Comments

• Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MrBear said:
    Hmmm...I'm about to send mine to our host for grading. Is there any point in getting the First Strike designation, considering they all shipped at the same time?

People who want 1st strike want 1st strike. Those that don't, don't.

For most limited edition commems, pretty much 100% of the mintage is 1st strike eligible.

I was thinking more about whether it made a difference in long term value. I know that it's a somewhat controversial designation, and is more appropriate for stuff that is minted over a longer period of time (I'm thinking about the UHR Saints back in 2009 for example). But has anyone noticed anything lately?

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrBear said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MrBear said:
    Hmmm...I'm about to send mine to our host for grading. Is there any point in getting the First Strike designation, considering they all shipped at the same time?

For most limited edition commems, pretty much 100% of the mintage is 1st strike eligible.

I was thinking more about whether it made a difference in long term value. I know that it's a somewhat controversial designation, and is more appropriate for stuff that is minted over a longer period of time (I'm thinking about the UHR Saints back in 2009 for example). But has anyone noticed anything lately?

It is very easy to see value. Just go to PCGS price guide or Coin Facts and look at the prices with and without First Strike and decide for yourself. You have to click on the + to see the other "varieties" like First Strike or other labels and then the answer to your question for modern coins is more or less obvious.

You pay $18 extra, and our hosts make some extra money. Whether you end up making more in the long run depends on the buyer and what they collect.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    First year of the series is sure to make them the most valuable coin(s) in your entire collection!! Sell your house, cash in your 401k, buy buy buy!

Disclaimer: I am not a financial professional and am wrong 100% of the time, don’t listen to me.

If you're wrong 100% of the time, that's as good as being right 100% of the time...for US.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrBear said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MrBear said:

There are always some people who prefer that label. Is it enough to support the price difference of slabbing? Sorry, my crystal ball remains broken. ;)

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrBear said:

That is the debate I struggle with. At $18 per coin for the FS designation that is a large percentage. An $18 add on fee is more than the actual Modern Value grading fee of $17. I generally do not sell my coins so I might not ever benefit from the additional up front cost. But for some coins it seems to make a difference in value, or at least I am told. My big question is for how long? Is it more important and valuable to have First Strike for the short term flip versus the long time hold? I don't know. What I do know is that I have spent enough in FS fees this last couple months that I could have instead bought a couple more coins for the hoard. I will need to watch the trends over time and see if I chose wisely or poorly...

• Options
    edited November 12, 2021 9:31AM

@Batman23 said:

@MrBear said:

That is the debate I struggle with. At $18 per coin for the FS designation that is a large percentage. An $18 add on fee is more than the actual Modern Value grading fee of $17. I generally do not sell my coins so I might not ever benefit from the additional up front cost. But for some coins it seems to make a difference in value, or at least I am told. My big question is for how long? Is it more important and valuable to have First Strike for the short term flip versus the long time hold? I don't know. What I do know is that I have spent enough in FS fees this last couple months that I could have instead bought a couple more coins for the hoard. I will need to watch the trends over time and see if I chose wisely or poorly...

These are good points. Since all of these coins were minted at the same time, they would all qualify for first strike, so you'd THINK there wouldn't be any price difference. But that's probably not correct. Well, I'm not mailing them until tomorrow, so I have some time to ponder...

Although...do these count as "modern value" coins, or "Regular submission" coins?

• Options
    Mindy9773Mindy9773 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Can I send some in for first strike and some for regular holder on the same fee sheet, in the same box?

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrBear said:
    [...] Although...do these count as "modern value" coins, or "Regular submission" coins?

"Modern Value" has a 'max coin value' of $300.00. So, this should 'work' for you.

FWIW - you could upgrade to "regular". However, the estimated turnaround time for "regular" is currently longer than for "modern value" (i.e., 30 b-days vs. 25 b-days). Link

• Options

@Mindy9773 said:
    Can I send some in for first strike and some for regular holder on the same fee sheet, in the same box?

If I understand your question correctly, yes.

On the submission form, check off the "First Strike" add-on service for the 'coins/rows' that you want designated FS, and leave the other 'coins/rows' unchecked.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having watched eBay and researched this very issue. First day of issue commands a consistent premium where as first strike not so much. Just a humble observation 😉. Fdoi being available only to dealers has something to do with it 🤨

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@MrBear said:

@Batman23 said:

@MrBear said:

These are good points. Since all of these coins were minted at the same time, they would all qualify for first strike, so you'd THINK there wouldn't be any price difference. But that's probably not correct. Well, I'm not mailing them until tomorrow, so I have some time to ponder...

Although...do these count as "modern value" coins, or "Regular submission" coins?

They are post 1965 and value under $300 so they meet the requirements.

The label value I am told is for the registry players in sets that "require" a FS label. So even though all coins should qualify because of release date does not mean that you can get the FS label later. If there are limited FS coins available a buyer might pay up if he needs the label. If most every coin is housed in a FS holder and there is plenty of supply, one might not see any increased value for FS. I do not play in the FS sets and I do not follow or believe in the FS program... and yet here I am having paid for the add on fee "just in case". Its only money right?

• Options

@Mindy9773 said:

I hope so. I just put a box in the mail with some FS and some not.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I broke down and bought a P Mint 2021. I have an extra PCGS 1921 P MS 65 and I'm going to try for the Double Holder.

• Options

Well...I spoke with an EXTREMELY friendly and helpful representative from our host, who answered all of my questions. For some reason I couldn't sign up on the website, so she did it for me. So I'll be sending these as "modern value" and First Strike One thing I was a bit miffed about is that I can't just send the encapsulated (mint capsule) coins. I'll have to put them in flips. Or I have to ship them in the little blue boxes from the Mint. I was tempted to just stuff them all back in random boxes ("Why did this guy send an O in a D box, and a Peace dollar in a CC box, etc?") but then I ordered some flips which will arrive on Monday.

• Options

@MrBear said:
    Well...I spoke with an EXTREMELY friendly and helpful representative from our host, who answered all of my questions. For some reason I couldn't sign up on the website, so she did it for me. So I'll be sending these as "modern value" and First Strike One thing I was a bit miffed about is that I can't just send the encapsulated (mint capsule) coins. I'll have to put them in flips. Or I have to ship them in the little blue boxes from the Mint. I was tempted to just stuff them all back in random boxes ("Why did this guy send an O in a D box, and a Peace dollar in a CC box, etc?") but then I ordered some flips which will arrive on Monday.

I know they say they don't want the plastic snap together holders for submissions. But I thought the mint capsules were OK. Maybe someone else can chime in on this? I just sent in a submission where I put the mint capsule in the mylar flip because I did not want to risk messing up the coin surface by removing it from the capsule and sliding it in and out of the flip. I did this same thing with the V75 coins last year and no one yelled at me.

• Options

@Batman23 said:
    [...] I just sent in a submission where I put the mint capsule in the mylar flip because I did not want to risk messing up the coin surface by removing it from the capsule and sliding it in and out of the flip. [...]

I do this routinely, and have done it as recently as this month.

No issues.

@MrBear - You are probably already aware of this, but just in case ...

The FS cutoff for the 2021 Morgan & Peace Dollars is fast approaching (i.e., 11/18/21).
    It sounds like you have already opened the Mint boxes. As such, these coins need to be
    mailed to PCGS 'on or before' the cutoff date to be eligible for the FS designation.
    Reference

• Options

@Batman23 said:

I know they say they don't want the plastic snap together holders for submissions. But I thought the mint capsules were OK. Maybe someone else can chime in on this? I just sent in a submission where I put the mint capsule in the mylar flip because I did not want to risk messing up the coin surface by removing it from the capsule and sliding it in and out of the flip. I did this same thing with the V75 coins last year and no one yelled at me.

Yeah, they don't mind the mint capsules. But it does seem odd that they insist on flips. I get that they don't want random plastic holders that are potentially hard to open, or cardboard squares with staples that can damage the coin. But if the coin is already in a mint capsule, what's the benefit of sticking said capsule in a 2.5" flip? Or sticking it back in the little blue Mint box? Well, it's not worth arguing. Sadly, there's only one or two places in Savannah that might sell flips, so I ordered online.

@MetroD, yep, I know. I'm mailing them on Tuesday. Or, I guess, Monday, if the flips arrive soon enough.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope it isn't the same with bulk I just send the capsules well I'll let every one know soon. I know with 100 + Morgan's they said just put them in rolls.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2021 10:51AM

If someone could post the coin numbers for the regular first strike coins, i am lost as they show so many different labels. Do you have to pay extra for those other labels? I just wanted the first strike and sending them in the modern 17 bucks for grading. I had opened the peace box because of rattling around so will now open the others and just send them all in the morning if i can figure out the numbers......thanks...... ok is the the right label on all of them? 2021 $1 Peace Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2021 11:13AM

@1tommy said:
    If someone could post the coin numbers for the regular first strike coins, i am lost as they show so many different labels. Do you have to pay extra for those other labels? I just wanted the first strike and sending them in the modern 17 bucks for grading. I had opened the peace box because of rattling around so will now open the others and just send them all in the morning if i can figure out the numbers......thanks...... ok is the the right label on all of them? 2021 $1 Peace Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike

This link has all the numbers for all the 2021 silver dollars. Just click on the + next to the generic date and PCGS number and you can see the numbers for all the varieties including first strike.

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/modern-silver-clad-commemoratives-1982-date/792

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2021 12:03PM

example from link above:

877720 2021 $1 Peace Dollar 100th Anniversary First Strike

also, barring errors, they will select the right coin number for you if you leave it blank

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@1tommy said:
    If someone could post the coin numbers for the regular first strike coins, i am lost as they show so many different labels. [...]

Source

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well package is sealed and ready to go and those are not the same numbers i got lol.....

877709 2021-CC Privy $1 Morgan Dollar 100th Anniversary and goes up to 877714 for the peace. Oh well they can always call me....I see now my numbers were for the label without first strike....but since i checked the first strike box they will surely figure it out......

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

@1tommy said:
    Well package is sealed and ready to go and those are not the same numbers i got lol.....

877709 2021-CC Privy $1 Morgan Dollar 100th Anniversary and goes up to 877714 for the peace. Oh well they can always call me....I see now my numbers were for the label without first strike....but since i checked the first strike box they will surely figure it out......

Leaving it to them to figure out us not a good plan.

They have 1 piece of info saying A and another saying B. Can’t use logic on that.

Open it up and change or mark out the coin numbers.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Is anyone still waiting for Oct 25 shipped orders? The USPS tracking shows it is still waiting for the item. I called the Mint and they said Oct 25 orders were held up but didn't know when the fulfillment center would ship them. Very bizarre...

• Options

Think someone will be surprised and unhappy?

• Options

@oilers99 said:
    Is anyone still waiting for Oct 25 shipped orders? The USPS tracking shows it is still waiting for the item. I called the Mint and they said Oct 25 orders were held up but didn't know when the fulfillment center would ship them. Very bizarre...

I received mine in the mail a week ago and I am still waiting for the shipping notice.

• Options

I just shipped mine out today. Flips showed up yesterday (thanks Amazon!). I printed out the "labels" on a sheet of paper and stuck them in the other side of the flip for each coin. Then rubber-banded them in batches, wrapped in bubble wrap, lined the box with bubblewrap, and taped it up. NOTHING is moving inside that thing.

Then I remembered I hadn't put the paperwork in, so I had to undo all of my work. OK, maybe not, but I put two of the three sheets at the bottom of the box, and one at the top. Just in case. :D

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

[[Is anyone still waiting for Oct 25 shipped orders? The USPS tracking shows it is still waiting for the item. I called the Mint and they said Oct 25 orders were held up but didn't know when the fulfillment center would ship them. Very bizarre...]]

Oilers99...yes...I'm apparently on the same slow boat from China...or Texas...or wherever...for some of my CC and O coins.

And I also called Mint CS...and they told me that I was still "within the standard shipping window of 4-5 weeks...or something equally ridiculous. And my patience is wearing thin!

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well you out for 1st strike one them in less you receive them in 3 days.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

[[Well you out for 1st strike one them in less you receive them in 3 days.]]

Fortunately, I've never started playing that game.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2021 6:26AM

@RichR said:
    [[Is anyone still waiting for Oct 25 shipped orders? The USPS tracking shows it is still waiting for the item. I called the Mint and they said Oct 25 orders were held up but didn't know when the fulfillment center would ship them. Very bizarre...]]

Oilers99...yes...I'm apparently on the same slow boat from China...or Texas...or wherever...for some of my CC and O coins.

And I also called Mint CS...and they told me that I was still "within the standard shipping window of 4-5 weeks...or something equally ridiculous. And my patience is wearing thin!

That’s not good. My reverse proof AI has left Tennessee and is in Denver heading to the mountains. I am not very patient either. Sorry 🙃

• Options

I just got a personal letter from the mint. Like many, I had a compromised credit card issue between order date and shipping date on the Morgan/Peace order. After they started processing my order I had to call in and make a special payment. Then they shipped the Morgan separate from the Peace dollar making two different events. Evidently my payment covered one coin from the order but not the second coin. I looked back at the credit card statement and there is only one $85 charge so this looks to be correct.

Looks like they want their $85 or the coin back. I just can't tell if they are talking about my Morgan or the dinged up Peace Dollar. Decisions decisions...

• Options

I am fairly sure they want that peace dollar back as they constantly keep telling us how they are trying to enhance our mint experience ! Enhance on ! 😉

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

Think someone will be surprised and unhappy?

OMG, the dumbasses. The seller didn't misrepresent and only started it at 99c+s/h. The crap is completely on the bidders.

• Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@RichR said:

That’s not good. My reverse proof AI has left Tennessee and is in Denver heading to the mountains. I am not very patient either. Sorry 🙃

I am still waiting for my order for Oct 25. When I called last Friday, the rep sent me a CNR form to complete. This is a research before refunding the order amount. I hope the coins ship but the order has been in a USPS waiting for them situation since 10/25. Unfortunately it is for O & CC coins. :'(

• Options
    edited November 18, 2021 12:21PM

It says 5 coin minimum for submission, what does that mean? Also if I have two Denver I want a regular grade on and one I want a first strike on how will they know the difference, what should I do number them?

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mindy9773 said:
    It says 5 coin minimum for submission, what does that mean? Also if I have two Denver I want a regular grade on and one I want a first strike on how will they know the difference, what should I do number them?

Where does it say this?

• Options

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to send in at least five Morgan Dollars in a single submission to get the 100th Anniversary Label. They can be the new Morgan Dollars or the Classic Morgan Dollars.

If you want one as first strike and one as regular you would list them on 2 separate lines on the submission form and use the First Strike Number for one and the Regular Number for the other. In the instructions request the higher graded coin be put in the First Strike Holder if you care.

• Options

Thank-you very much that was very helpful

• Options
    edited November 18, 2021 3:25PM

[[I am still waiting for my order for Oct 25. When I called last Friday, the rep sent me a CNR form to complete. This is a research before refunding the order amount. I hope the coins ship but the order has been in a USPS waiting for them situation since 10/25. Unfortunately it is for O & CC coins.]]

ebizgobro: Take heart...I'm in EXACTLY the same situation as you...EVERY DETAIL as you described is the same. And I was told by the Mint last week that "we're still within the window for the cheap shipping option." So I guess that means extra slow, cheapass service!

So I'm hoping that's true and that we'll still get our coins. I really don't want to start a lost coin/refund process with either the USPS or the Mint...especially for the CC & O coins!

• Options
    edited November 19, 2021 1:51PM

@djm said:
    You need to send in at least five Morgan Dollars in a single submission to get the 100th Anniversary Label. They can be the new Morgan Dollars or the Classic Morgan Dollars.

[...]

Interesting.

Based on the following from the 'PCGS Special Labels' webpage, I did not think that the 2021 Morgan Dollars qualified for the '100th Anniversary Label' (i.e., Morgan-Label #698).

Source

Edited to Add:
    Called PCGS on 11/19/21 about an unrelated issue. So, I inquired about this.

It appears that you are correct. Despite what their website explicitly states, PCGS is including the 2021 Morgan Dollars in their '100th Anniversary Label' program.

Thanks for the info. :)

• Options

@RichR said:
    [[I am still waiting for my order for Oct 25. When I called last Friday, the rep sent me a CNR form to complete. This is a research before refunding the order amount. I hope the coins ship but the order has been in a USPS waiting for them situation since 10/25. Unfortunately it is for O & CC coins.]]

ebizgobro: Take heart...I'm in EXACTLY the same situation as you...EVERY DETAIL as you described is the same. And I was told by the Mint last week that "we're still within the window for the cheap shipping option." So I guess that means extra slow, cheapass service!

So I'm hoping that's true and that we'll still get our coins. I really don't want to start a lost coin/refund process with either the USPS or the Mint...especially for the CC & O coins!

I received an email from the Mint today:

**Important message about your order USMxxxxxxxx

We are aware your package is potentially showing no movement on the carrier website and the inability to track your package. We are working with our carriers to gain tracking visibility and get your order shipped. Please be patient as we work through this issue.**

So maybe there is still hope...

• Options

@oilers99 said:

I received an email from the Mint today:

**Important message about your order USMxxxxxxxx

We are aware your package is potentially showing no movement on the carrier website and the inability to track your package. We are working with our carriers to gain tracking visibility and get your order shipped. Please be patient as we work through this issue.**

So maybe there is still hope...

We came to accept the “awaiting item”

Perhaps the mint will work on this too.

Perhaps we need to ask for change.

• Options

Another Mint email update today:

We apologize for the continued delay you are experiencing with receiving your item(s). In order to resolve this issue as quickly as possible, we will process a replacement order for you by Friday, 11/26/2021. You will receive a shipping confirmation email with new tracking information once your replacement order has shipped. Thank you for your patience as we sought resolution to this issue.

Hope springs eternal...

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@oilers99 At this point, I fear what you're going to get - hopefully it is not someone else's return!

BST references available on request

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file