Home U.S. Coin Forum

****** Official 2021 One-tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set (21XK)****

Comments

• Dirt94Dirt94 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@Knell said:
    Received my $5 AEG PR type 2 earlier today. I ordered type 1 back in March and it was only for $260. In total, my individual type 1 and type 2 is $70 less than the 2 coin sets offered today and they are the same coin except for the box, numbered COA and some signed coa.

Does anyone really know for sure there isn’t something different with these sets until someone actually examines one?

I think it would be a great move by the Mint if they are different,,,, something like a Cheerios Sacagawea Dollar.

I would love that if these were actually unique or had something different to them. That would show the people who didn’t want to buy one.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    Does anyone really know for sure there isn’t something different with these sets until someone actually examines one?

I think it would be a great move by the Mint if they are different,,,, something like a Cheerios Sacagawea Dollar.

Certainly is possible. :)

That said, one would think that the Mint would have communicated any intentional variations prior to release.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they with the Cheerios Dollars?

GrandAm :)
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to those who were successful,
    VERY HAPPY I don't collect gold...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

@GRANDAM said:
    Did they with the Cheerios Dollars?

I am not really knowledgable about the Cheerios Dollar. However, from the little I know about them, I did not think that the tail feather variation was intentionally sent to General Mills. Rather, it occurred as the result of a late design change to make the tail feathers look lighter.

I was thinking more of 20XE. The privy mark was intentionally added, and the Mint was very open about it.

• GhosOfRudyGhosOfRudy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@Coinnmore said:
    This seems like a good deal to make a quick $50.00! plus they fully insure your package! :s

Pinehurst Coins

Make money for ordering coins from the US Mint!
    One-Tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set Designer Edition
    The US Mint is releasing the
    American Eagle 2021 One-Tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set Designer Edition
    August 5th at 12:00PM EST!
    See how below:
    Paying $50 Over Mint Issue Price Per Two-Coin Set, Plus A Free, Fully Insured Shipping Label!

While that is nice and all, ebay is paying double what the mint asked now... why not make it $600 instead of $50?

My point is if they are different it would be a good way for the Mint to increase sales on future items as well as being a windfall for those who bought them.

If collectors don’t make money interest dies, I see this as a smart move by the Mint should it happen,,

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    My point is if they are different it would be a good way for the Mint to increase sales on future items as well as being a windfall for those who bought them.

If collectors don’t make money interest dies, I see this as a smart move by the Mint should it happen,,

Yeah, because if the Mint secretly made different dies, people would start buying everything hoping for another variety rather than simply being angry that they did not get a chance to buy one for their collection.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still don’t want it.

@GRANDAM said:

Wholeheartedly agree that the Mint has to be cognizant of future sales.

Respectfully, disagree on the methodology. Do not believe that intentionally misrepresenting products is a viable approach.

• smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't be good if the USM intentionally represented them, but if they left out info, and they are different, which isn't likely I'd be happy. It would be a way for the USM to deflect interest from a very limited/high demand item like the WWII Eagles and the 2019 ERP Eagle and avoid some of the site traffic. It would get a lot of feedback if they misled on it though.

Whatever the Mint does 50% of the customers will be unhappy,,,,,,,,,,,,, sometimes I am one of the unhappy ones,,,,,,

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interestingly, this thread went from I want one, I don’t want one, to a conspiracy theory. And back to I didn’t want one, but I bought one. Which is where I would’ve been if I would’ve succumbed.
    What’s next?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    edited August 5, 2021 8:37PM

The Mint does state that it is a “Special Set”,,,, that said I would not consider that they “mislead” anyone if the set is somehow different, I am not saying it is,,,,,,, but it would be nice.

• youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

However misleading, vague, or whatever, I just received the tracking info email on my order. Unlikely anything unusual about this "special set," but will see in short order.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2021 7:24PM

I feel for you brother. She take a bite.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not buy one and am waiting for a little Peace.

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I passed > @jmlanzaf said:

@MilesWaits said:
    Interestingly, this thread went from I want one, I don’t want one, to a conspiracy theory. And back to I didn’t want one, but I bought one. Which is where I would’ve been if I would’ve succumbed.
    What’s next?

I'm at: I hate myself for falling to a compulsion.

Standing-“Hi my name is JM and I have a problem…😄”

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:
    But if the coins in this set are the same as the single ones, you could also just build your own set with OGP. I don't really see these holding any long term appeal.

How many do?

Honestly, at 25,000 total mintage, these are far more common than 2020 (12,466 total sold)

Once coins are graded, I'd also expect a bunch of OGP for these sets to be available.

Yes, but no one will recognize it as the official set without the label. You might as well keep it in the separate OGP.

Is PCGS offering a special flip with these? If not, probably best to keep these sets raw.

Forum rumor was that NGC is but PCGS isn't.

forum fact. Got it from goth horses' mouths.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was there for second couldn’t check out fast enough.

Many happy BST transactions
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blipped at 730 and insta-sold out again.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• ButteredfatkidButteredfatkid Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Flashed red for a second, tried to add to bag but no longer available

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:
    But if the coins in this set are the same as the single ones, you could also just build your own set with OGP. I don't really see these holding any long term appeal.

How many do?

Honestly, at 25,000 total mintage, these are far more common than 2020 (12,466 total sold)

Once coins are graded, I'd also expect a bunch of OGP for these sets to be available.

Yes, but no one will recognize it as the official set without the label. You might as well keep it in the separate OGP.

Is PCGS offering a special flip with these? If not, probably best to keep these sets raw.

Not doubting it. I just had no personal contact with NGC or PCGS.

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

How many do?

pick up a phone, I did.

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

How many do?

pick up a phone, I did.

I didn't care. I was just reporting the rumor to someone who did care. Hence "forum rumor".

edited August 6, 2021 7:10AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

How many do?

forum fact. Got it from both horses' mouths.

pick up a phone, I did.

I didn't care. I was just reporting the rumor to someone who did care. Hence "forum rumor".

Would have been more fitting for you to have said "it has been reported here" that NGC has a special label and PCGS does not.

edited August 6, 2021 8:32AM

@derryb said:
    pick up a phone, I did.

Just finished speaking with PCGS customer service. The name of the rep was Don.

He said that PCGS would assign unique coin #'s to the eagles in 21XK, because they were a separate Mint release (i.e., different from the 3/11/21 (T1) and 7/29/21 (T2) releases). Could not say exactly what terminology they would add to the label to distinguish it from the earlier releases (e.g., Designer Edition).

Based on my conversation, it appears that PCGS will not issue a "special label" that deviates from the current GEN6.1S. However, they will recognize the difference via coin numbers and label notes.

Note - I did not specifically ask about submission requirements. However, I assume that sealed Mint packaging would be required for the "designer" coin #'s. It definitely is for the COA encapsulation.

Edited.

edited August 6, 2021 8:44AM

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

How many do?

forum fact. Got it from both horses' mouths.

pick up a phone, I did.

Would have been more fitting for you to have said "it has been reported here" that NGC has a special label and PCGS does not.

It is a rumor as I don't have a link to any specific information. And, per @MetroD post, PCGS will be issuing a label. So, I think "rumor" remains the most fitting descriptor.

@jmlanzaf said:

It is a rumor as I don't have a link to any specific information. And, per @MetroD post, PCGS will be issuing a label. So, I think "rumor" remains the most fitting descriptor.

Only for those too lazy to confirm what has been reported by those not too lazy to pick up the phone. For future reference when you are told that PCGS has confirmed or denied something just consider it as having been reported on the forum and not a "rumor." Surprised you didn't refer to it as a conspiracy theory. lol.

PCGS issues a label for all coins it grades. Metro simply confirmed what was reported earlier: PCGS as of yet has not announced plans for a special label on the coins. Getting its own coin number is not a "special" label.

• Dirt94Dirt94 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

I’m kind of surprised the HHL was removed on these today. I know it gets removed from most things the second day but I figured this would be different as are some of the most limited items.

I would be willing to bet that PCGS will issue a special label for this set.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm suddenly getting flashbacks to the barbershop in Coming to America...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@derryb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Only for those too lazy to confirm what has been reported by those not too lazy to pick up the phone. For future reference when you are told that PCGS has confirmed or denied something just consider it as having been reported on the forum and not a "rumor." Surprised you didn't refer to it as a conspiracy theory. lol.

PCGS issues a label for all coins it grades. Metro simply confirmed what was reported earlier: PCGS as of yet has not announced plans for a special label on the coins. Getting its own coin number is not a "special" label.

Yes, it is a rumor until confirmed. Is your last name Merriam-Webster?

Lmao

Why is this even an issue?

@GRANDAM said:
    I would be willing to bet that PCGS will issue a special label for this set.

I will probably end up 'eating crow', but I'll take that bet. ;)

Every 2021 eagle is a 35th anniversary release. Despite this fact, PCGS has not introduced a "special" 35th Eagle Anniversary label (i.e., one that differs from the standard GEN6.1S). If they have not introduced one so far, I do not believe that they will do it now. Further, I am not convinced that they will offer a "special" label just for the designer set.

We will know for sure shortly. :)

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 3:00PM

Special label for this and one for the 2 coin RPF silver set
    That’s what I am thinking 🧐

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Special label for this and one for the 2 coin RPF silver set
    That’s what I am thinking 🧐

I don't think it matters if it is a "special label". As long as they have a separate registry number, the coins are distinguishable. No?

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    What’s next?

I wanted one but I didn't buy one. I bought them each individually.

They issue a special label for Sacagawea Dollars from a Coin & Currency Set,,,,,, plus NGC is issuing a special label and well,,,, everyone has to keep up with the Jones,,,,,, I would think lack of a special label would cause many sets to go to NGC and a loss of revenue for PCGS and PCGS won't want to let NGC one up them. It would be foolish not to issue a special label.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 3:49PM

I don’t have a registered set and at this point in my coin collecting journey I have many coins that the label is the only way to tell if a particular coin is from a set. I have a long way to go before I will understand the registry and many of the nuances of more advanced and knowledgeable collectors. Apollo half dollar set. Pride of two nations (especially Pride coins Canadian set US set ). I’ll get there but I don’t think I’m alone in this just started back collecting a couple years ago 🤓

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• MetalsmanMetalsman Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Just got an Email and tracking Number for my 2021
    American Eagle 2021 One-Tenth Ounce Gold Two-Coin Set Designer Edition!!!

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

got shipping label issued email from the mint. Now the four day wait until they take it to the post office. The one oz gold took four days after label printed to get to post office from distribution center. It only took two days to get to my door by the USPS. 1/2 the time LOL

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing Mike will have FDI coins on sale Monday for a price you will not want to pay. >:)

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

@GRANDAM said:
    They issue a special label for Sacagawea Dollars from a Coin & Currency Set,,,,,, plus NGC is issuing a special label and well,,,, everyone has to keep up with the Jones,,,,,, I would think lack of a special label would cause many sets to go to NGC and a loss of revenue for PCGS and PCGS won't want to let NGC one up them. It would be foolish not to issue a special label.

I think that we are experiencing a semantics issue.

In PCGS land, the term "special label" has a very specific meaning. It refers to limited edition labels that have a different background than the standard label. The available (and retired) "special labels" can be viewed here.

An example of a V75 "special label" follows. Note that the background differs from the standard label.

Link

If submitted properly, PCGS will obviously label 21XK slabs so that they can be distinguished from earlier releases. This will be accomplished with set-specific PCGS coin numbers, and words. However, if there is no "special" label background, the labels will not technically be considered "special".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file