Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2021 8:10PM

@coinsarefun said:
    I absolutely love this Morgan/ I remember reading about this but Daniel does pretty good at summing it up.
    _100th Anniversary of the first Denver Mint Silver Dollars.

Morgan Dollars were originally minted from 1878 to 1904. After 17 years, Morgan Dollars were minted again for one more year in 1921. This would be the first year that silver dollars were ever struck at the Denver Mint. During the initial production, 100 of the first coins released were set aside for ceremonial distribution. The first one was given to the Governor and the second to the Colorado School of Mines. The third through the twelfth were engraved outside the Mint. The engraving was on three concentric arcs in the open field in front of Liberty’s face. The engraving stated (example):
    “3RD DOLLAR RELEASED FROM FIRST 100 / EVER COINED AT DENVER MINT / THOMAS ANNBAR SUPT.”
    Although it was originally planned to engrave all 100 coins, due to problems with the engraving only #3 through #12 were engraved._
    You really don't see much under type ghosting but for some reason the camera picks it up much more than the eye.
    Looks great!

Wow! Just like mine. What number did you get?......ROFL

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2021 8:24AM

My order of this DC 1921D 100th Anniversary piece was due to arrive yesterday, but looks like today will be the delivery day instead. The excellent photography by @coinsarefun just pumped up my impatience level to have mine in hand.

BTW, I think that DC correctly identifies the best/correct Morgan issue for which to issue a 100th anniversary coin in 2021....the 1921D....because it is the 100th anniversary of the first Morgan (for that matter, first silver dollar) minted at the Denver mint.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

"MCMXXI" (1921) Peace Silver, COUNTER_STAMP "2021", Antiqued production has ended.
    Final mintage 525.

Nice piece with cool colors.... :)

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    "MCMXXI" (1921) Peace Silver, COUNTER_STAMP "2021", Antiqued production has ended.
    Final mintage 525.

Nice piece with cool colors.... :)

Looks like there might be one or two left to order. The Bolt Thrower octagon be sold out however. Final mintage 121 on the proof like and on 50 on the antiqued!

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

Oh yeah . . . . .

Received my 1921-D Engraved Morgan Dollar over-strike today!

Enough of the underlying host coin is visible, and properly oriented, that it looks like the eagle's head and wings on the reverse and Liberty on the obverse are heavily DDO / DDR.

Take a look!

Z

A few close-ups . . . . .

Your has a bunch of doubling on the obverse......I love it. Mine does not have this.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tenth ounce looks satin, the 1/4 prooflike, or is it satin?
    Very nice and looking forward to mine.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I'd say the 1/10 does look satin and the 1/4 oz a mirror field and frosted devices. The 1921-D "Engraved" Morgan" has a flawless freshly struck look. Not mirrored or frosted but a soft yet sharp strike you'd expect from Dan. Thanks Dan.

• Options
    edited June 23, 2021 8:32AM

I sent my 1921D engraved Morgan to ANACS back on June 10, so I don't have it hand ATM. I do not recall much, if any ghosting. I see what looks like wing ghosting on the reverse of @Kudbegud's example, but none on the obverse. On @ZoidMeister's example, I wonder if it is ghosting versus this possible explanation, in DC's notes: "At least one was multi-struck with lateral shift between over-strikes."?

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@SPalladino said:
    I sent my 1921D engraved Morgan to ANACS back on June 10, so I don't have it hand ATM. I do not recall much, if any ghosting. I see what looks like wing ghosting on the reverse of @Kudbegud's example, but none on the obverse. On @ZoidMeister's example, I wonder if it is ghosting versus this possible explanation, in DC's notes: "At least one was multi-struck with lateral shift between over-strikes."?

Well, that got me to go back and get out my loupe again. I see elements of the "host coin" under most of the high points on the lettering, the stars, and on the eagle's complete head and wings.

Here are a couple close-ups . . . .

When Dan does a "multi-strike with lateral shift" it is pretty pronounced, similar to what you see on this MMOH overstrike.

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    @steveben
    looks like you've been staying on top of the half eagles, nice!

I got the 2013 Moonlight mint direct, and then kinda fell off the map for a while... Picked up a few other dates this year, and the 2021 just landed (yeay). Now comes the arduous task of filling the gaps (Collector in me has been triggered)

nice coins! but, ooof. some of the ones you are missing are hard to get, i think. 2020 is only 18 mintage! 2017 is low as well. also, you need a wanted placeholder for 2014 in business strike. there were two coins that year.

the only duplicate i have is 2013 or i would try to help you out.

good luck!

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2021 7:38AM

@steveben
    Thanks for the info on that,
    Like you said, the mintages are low on most of these but I’m up for the challenge!
    Who here will help me rise to the occasion? Lol
    Happy collecting all…

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

Perfect. Not unexpectedly, I found out yesterday that my 1921D 'engraved' Morgan from DC graded MS70 by ANACS. Great work by Daniel Carr!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    spirityoda1spirityoda1 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2021 1:40PM

@spirityoda1 said:
    I have 1 Daniel Carr coin. 1 of 80. I love it...

I have 1 question to Daniel Carr.... How much is this coin worth now ? I am not selling it. I think I bought it for $75 on Ebay. Having only 80 made I am sure it is worth way more now. I have not seen another 1 on Ebay to compare a price to it. I like so much and will never sell it. I remember 9-11 ...

Coin Junky...

• Options
    edited July 1, 2021 3:33PM

@spirityoda1 said:

@spirityoda1 said:
    I have 1 Daniel Carr coin. 1 of 80. I love it...

I have 1 question to Daniel Carr.... How much is this coin worth now ? I am not selling it. I think I bought it for $75 on Ebay. Having only 80 made I am sure it is worth way more now. I have not seen another 1 on Ebay to compare a price to it. I like so much and will never sell it. I remember 9-11 ...

Nice piece, don't see them often. Don't know the value but it looks to be in very good shape. I think you'd get your money back plus some if you ever part with it.

• Options

New Products Alert

Palladium strikes are up on the Moonlight Mint website!

• Options

Oh yeah, here's the link . . . . . .

http://www.dc-coin.com/

Z

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks ZoidMeister for the heads up. I check often but not in the last couple days. Order placed.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where, oh where, Danny are the Oregon Trail Dollar coins that are reported to have been struck? Please hold one for me.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MrweaseluvMrweaseluv Posts: 215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I finaly gave in and bought one... couldn't pass up the silver owl lol... and I'm blaming Zoid for posting his Stella's earlier today lol...

You may soar with the eagles, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!.
    https://www.cointalk.com/media/albums/the-2020-20-large-cent-set.1855/

• Options

I had a new "old stock" piece come in today. I didn't get the opportunity to take photos, but I will correct that omission tomorrow.

Z

• Options
    edited August 12, 2021 7:04PM

@ZoidMeister said:
    Actually, I do have a couple of "rarities" to show.

Wow! < applause >

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW Z — nice scores!

I’ve never seen those sets available. Bam!! 😳

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

@dcarr said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    Now the second set, this one is undocumented in Dan Carr's production blog. The 2001-D Bessie Coleman ...
    Z

I just updated my Concept Dollars catalog page to include info about those sets.

That's was totally unexpected! Very kind of you to do that.

Now I'm wishing there was a similar set for the four Sacagawea concepts. I need to start collecting a few of those as well . . . .

Z

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2021 5:14PM

@ZoidMeister said:

@dcarr said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    Now the second set, this one is undocumented in Dan Carr's production blog. The 2001-D Bessie Coleman ...
    Z

I just updated my Concept Dollars catalog page to include info about those sets.

That's was totally unexpected! Very kind of you to do that.

Now I'm wishing there was a similar set for the four Sacagawea concepts. I need to start collecting a few of those as well . . . .

Z

No problem - I should have already had the Bessie Coleman sets noted.

PS:
    There were no similar sets for the Sacagawea concept dollars (not that I recall anyway - that was 17 years ago !).

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister Beautiful DC Barber! I'm partial to Barber Halves, and DC, so that's a winner in my book.

• Options

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

I truly like Carrs designs.
    Maybe in the future he will win a design of a coin that the mint could actually turn into a "legal coin".
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    Maybe in the future he will win a design of a coin that the mint could actually turn into a "legal coin".
    Wayne

Ummm look up just two posts... the RI and MA state quarters were both DC designs and both "legal coins" :smiley:

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mrweaseluv said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Ummm look up just two posts... the RI and MA state quarters were both DC designs and both "legal coins" :smiley:

Correction: RI and NY (not MA).

Circulating versions (P and D) were also produced, like this:

There's one on ebay for $2500 (plus $4.20 shipping): https://www.ebay.com/itm/174773886981?hash=item28b155e005:g:v4UAAOSwz1NgpKVD

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

@COCollector said:

@Mrweaseluv said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

There's one on ebay for $2500 (plus $4.20 shipping): https://www.ebay.com/itm/174773886981?hash=item28b155e005:g:v4UAAOSwz1NgpKVD

Yeah, the shipping charges on that one kill it for me . . . .

Z

• Options

@COCollector said:

@Mrweaseluv said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Correction: RI and NY (not MA).

Circulating versions (P and D) were also produced, like this:

oops :smiley: though i thought he did the Mass quarter as well... could be wrong, Damn hard to keep up sometimes lol

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2021 2:05AM

If anyone is interested in Dan's Dwight D. Eisenhower 70th Anniversary of D-Day medals, some are available now.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mrweaseluv said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

I should have done my research first before posting. :(
    Thanks for pointing this out for me.
    I did a web search and came up with this:
    Coin Designs by Daniel Carr. 2001 state quarters - New York, NC, Rhode Island, VT, KY. Coin Designs by Daniel Carr. The New York and Rhode Island designs are examples of the sculpting and rendering capabilities of the VS3D (Virtual Sculptor) CAD/CAM software.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    If anyone is interested in Dan's Dwight D. Eisenhower 70th Anniversary of D-Day medals, some are available now.

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/3h/8oiknqa6a1r7.jpg ""

I will be watching this one and the .25oz version. I’m wondering how much over spot they will go.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

I will be watching this one and the .25oz version. I’m wondering how much over spot they will go.

Last time I saw these, they went for bullion value. They are nice but while Dan did the dies, he didn’t do the striking and the mintages aren’t published.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@pcgscacgold said:

@Zoins said:

Last time I saw these, they went for bullion value. They are nice but while Dan did the dies, he didn’t do the striking and the mintages aren’t published.

Everything I have been bidding on has been going for a lot. I’ll be interested To see if that happens here.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2021 1:37PM

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file