Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2021 9:37AM

If the US Mint has a shortage because of the contractors they use, either find a new supplier or work with the treasury to pull halves from circulation in order to sort them for silver to be melted and used for collector products (sorry CRH'ers). I find this statement and many of the actions by Director Ryder to be ridiculous.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

They'll probably go > @olympicsos said:

If the US Mint has a shortage because of the contractors they use, either find a new supplier or work with the treasury to pull halves from circulation in order to sort them for silver to be melted and used for collector products (sorry CRH'ers). I find this statement and many of the actions by Director Ryder to be ridiculous.

Good luck with that lol. Won't happen, treasury reserves don't have silver coinage in 'em, not enough to justify the work. Silver that is found in rolls comes from being freshly dumped in.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the US store silver bullion as it does gold bars?

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:

"pull halves from circulation in order to sort them for silver"
    Treasury is going to find silver is circulation?

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone needs to take another "vacation"...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@Raufus said:
    It will be interesting to see if folks start canceling orders if dealers aren't interested in buying.

What would ever lead you to believe that dealers are not interested in buying?

None I've offered to have been interested.

I bet they'd buy them at issue price

Sold my initial household limit 10 CC's on this board soon to a reseller I'd previously dealt with. A few were offering if you contacted. The trade-off seemed quite reasonable: if my order ships I make a decent profit and likely he’s got an even better upside. No drama and using my $ to buy a doily. Could have gotten more $ on eBay. Would have preferred to sell to individuals here. Didn't do either for the same reasons many dealers are weary. Potential PR/CS disaster time suck. If buy prices rocket, magically, tons of sellers will try to renegotiate, ghost, or their orders won’t have shipped or arrived. If prices crater, magically, tons of pre-order buyers will need to cancel their order, do chargebacks, and have all kinds of excuses. In the interim are the joy months of annoying questions, check-ins, complaints, and potential mint curveballs.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carew4me said:

@Halfpence said:

@Danno44 said:
    I don’t know why this thread (and many others) turn into a flippers thread with ROI and investment coinage discussions.
    It’s just a series of coins, highly anticipated and based on initial pre-sale, highly accepted.
    I don’t care if people flip.
    Many of us just like to collect.
    If they increase in value over time good, if they don’t I don’t care. I buy coins I like.
    Those coin that I don’t care for anymore I move on from and sell.
    I accept the fact that most will not net a profit.
    Perhaps a new thread of flipping coins should be started and debated.

Well said, Danno. Some are fixated with flipping. It gets old.

Puleeeeze. Coin collecting is DYING.

(have you seen the threads where CU members post there photos? it looks like a casting call for Cocoon)

These releases and the resulting feeding frenzy create BUZZ , BRINGS IN NEW BLOOD and MUCH NEEDED DEMAND.

Everyone is talking about these releases so I am not sure why anyone would be complaining. I have zero interest in making sure you are guaranteed a pocket piece to show off to a largely uninterested crowd at your next social event.

You go ahead wait for that 12 yr old to show some interest in those old coins, meanwhile flipping pulls in a younger crowd with disposable cash who may very well end up staying.

I'm not sure who you've been talking to but...If coin collecting is dying I must have missed the memo. We're selling more classic collector stuff lately than we have in a while. A lot of our "new blood" is the silver stackers and 90% silver hoarders worried about inflation who come for that stuff but are resuming or creating collections of other vintage stuff while they're at it. Type coins are doing well for instance. But the Mint flipper crowd has zero to do with it, at least in our business. The only modern issues we sell regularly in here are ASEs, along with some proof sets and a few modern commems occasionally if they're attractive.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else here wondered why the Mint didn't go full capitalist and make D and S Peace Dollar variants?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@Raufus said:
    It will be interesting to see if folks start canceling orders if dealers aren't interested in buying.

Not even clear on that. I had planned to sell the 10 & use the profit to buy a 70. Not looking good for that.

Poor guy! I will offer you $85.29 for each of the 10. That will give you a $2.90 profit, which I feel you'd deserve. However, I will not reimburse you for shipping.

• Options

@telephoto1 said:
    I was just wondering how much wine one could produce from all the sour grapes on this thread...

Thanks...I Like that...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@Raufus said:

Not even clear on that. I had planned to sell the 10 & use the profit to buy a 70. Not looking good for that.

I'm not even that interested in this issue and I'd buy them at $110 each

• Options

@3stars said:
    Someone needs to take another "vacation"...

Have a good trip!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carew4me said:

(have you seen the threads where CU members post there photos? it looks like a casting call for Cocoon)

could be the venue.

younger crowd uses instagram and others. what do their ages look like?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Raufus said:
    Latest from the Mint...

Apologies to my many "fans".

This is still hogwash.

1. We were told by the Mint earlier that they had already secured the blank planchets for the silver dollars. Why is this still an issue?
    2. Having trouble getting blanks has ZERO impact on the amount of web traffic experienced. This is especially true since on the day of release no one had any knowledge of any alleged blank shortage.
    3. They are delaying release to work on web traffic solutions NOT planchet acquisition.

So why does the Mint feel the need to continue to obfuscate the issue by mentioning alleged silver shortages?

• Options

@telephoto1 said:
    I was just wondering how much wine one could produce from all the sour grapes on this thread...

Grapes this sour will only yield vinegar. ;)

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:

They did but sold it all off in the form of silver eagles. The original purpose for the silver and gold eagles was to sell off the strategic gold and silver reserves.

• Options

@djm said:

@cheezhed said:

They did but sold it all off in the form of silver eagles. The original purpose for the silver and gold eagles was to sell off the strategic gold and silver reserves.

incorrect.

the gold and silver belong to the treasury and remains with them except for a "working stock" the mint keeps for making coins.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@djm said:

@cheezhed said:

incorrect.

the gold and silver belong to the treasury and remains with them except for a "working stock" the mint keeps for making coins.

Better check your facts before you say incorrect:

The Silver Strategic Stockpile (then called the Strategic and Critical Materials Stockpile) was formed in June, 1968, with a 'donation' of 165 million ounces of silver from the U.S. Treasury. 25.5 million ounces was removed in 1970, leaving 139.5 million ounces. It stayed at about that level through 1985, after which it declined each year until 2002 when it was all used up (the silver was sold to the Treasury for making Silver Eagles). As early as 1979 it was determined that the silver was not necessary, because "the probable wartime supply exceeds projected U.S. requirements" (Report By The Comptroller of the United States, 'National Defense Requirements For A Silver Stockpile', April 10, 1979). The silver was stored in West Point

• Options

@cheezhed said:

Yes.

The United States Mint stores both Silver and Gold.

The Mint has both "Deep Storage" and "Working Stock" Silver.

The problem is...None of the Silver in "Deep Storage" or "Working Stock" has changed an Ounce in Decades...

• Options
    edited June 2, 2021 11:42AM

The United States Mint has (and has had for Decades) the following in FTO (Fine Troy Ounces):

7,075,171 FTO of Silver in Deep Storage
    8,924,829 FTO of Silver in Working Stock

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2021 12:03PM

@cagcrisp said:

@olympicsos said:

You can probably find a decent supply of 40% and 90% halves by suspending all orders of half dollars by banks nationally, mandating that any half dollar that comes through a bank is immediately sent to the fed/not given out to customers or employees and then running the halves through a sorter to take out the silver. Not 1,000,000 silver dollar planchets worth, but enough that more people would have a chance to buy when the silver dollars flash on the mint website at 7:30 am. Just thinking out of the box.

• Options

@olympicsos said:

@cagcrisp said:

@olympicsos said:

You can probably find a decent supply of 40% and 90% halves by suspending all orders of half dollars by banks nationally, mandating that any half dollar that comes through a bank is immediately sent to the fed/not given out to customers or employees and then running the halves through a sorter to take out the silver. Not 1,000,000 silver dollar planchets worth, but enough that more people would have a chance to buy when the silver dollars flash on the mint website at 7:30 am. Just thinking out of the box.

This is a useless endeavor, even if you could yield any. The silver would need to be processed into planchets anyway

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

There is an abundance of silver on Earth. If the Mint's suppliers of planchets can't process the silver timely, then it's time to find new and/or additional suppliers. This is not rocket science. And the Mint is simply trying to cover up its real problem: the inability to handle the voluminous traffic on release dates. They just need to admit that there is no solution because there will always be hundreds of thousands of people trying to make purchases at noon (ET) on release date. If you are lucky to get in, that's about the best we can expect.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2021 12:19PM

@cagcrisp said:
    The United States Mint has (and has had for Decades) the following in FTO (Fine Troy Ounces):

7,075,171 FTO of Silver in Deep Storage
    8,924,829 FTO of Silver in Working Stock

which is why I said incorrect.

https://www.usmint.gov/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/2020-Annual-Report.pdf

"Custodial assets consist of the United States gold and silver reserves. These custodial assets are often referred to as “deep storage” and “working stock,” and are reported on the Balance Sheet.

"Treasury’s Bullion Fund (Bullion Fund) is used to account for United States gold and silver reserves. Separate Schedules of Custodial Deep Storage Gold and Silver Reserves have been prepared for the deep storage portion of the United States gold and silver reserves for which the Mint serves as custodian. "

UNITED STATES CUSTODIAL GOLD AND SILVER RESERVES
    United States gold and silver reserves consist of both “deep storage” and “working stock” gold and silver.
    Deep Storage is defined as that portion of the United States gold and silver reserves which the Mint secures in sealed vaults. Deep storage gold comprises the vast majority of the bullion reserve and consists primarily of gold bars. Deep storage silver is also primarily in bar form.
    Working Stock is defined as that portion of the United States gold and silver bullion reserves which the Mint can use as the raw material for minting coins. Working stock gold comprises only about one percent of the gold bullion reserve and consists of bars, blanks, unsold coins, and condemned coins. Similarly, working stock silver consists of bars, blanks, unsold coins, and condemned coins.
    Treasury allows the Mint to use some of its gold as working stock in the production of gold coins. This allows the Mint to avoid the market risk associated with buying gold in advance of the sales date of the gold coins. The Mint replenishes the Treasury gold working stock at or just prior to the time the coins are sold. Generally, the Mint does not deplete the working stock used in production. Instead, the Mint will purchase a like amount of gold on the open market to replace the working stock used. Treasury also allows the Mint to use silver as working stock.
    However, Treasury does not have enough silver to fulfill all Mint manufacturing needs. Accordingly, for the purpose of avoiding market risk associated with owning silver, the Mint has entered into a silver hedging arrangement (see Note 19).

Silver - Deep Storage: Inventories (FTO) - 7,075,171
    Silver - Working Stock Inventories (FTO) - 8,924,829

FTOs as confirmed by cagrisp post

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:

@HoneyMarket said:

@Raufus said:

Wow...that's surprising to hear of your experience. How many are you selling and what are you looking to get for them?

From others, I have heard that they had different experiences from yours and have already sold their allotment at a "very fair price".

BST references available on request

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Now, that's funny...actually too funny!!

• Options
    edited June 2, 2021 3:12PM

Interesting concept to adding to their "sales" for only customers who bought through them... and only $66

Set Of Two 2021 Morgan Silver Dollar CC & O Grading Service ☆NO COINS

Two Coin Set 2021 Morgan Silver Dollar "CC" & "O" Privy Mark Mint ~ GRADING SERVICE ONLY, NO COINS

This service is only available to existing customers who have already purchased this 2-coin set from our listing.

We will submit your coins directly to NGC for grading and certification for an additional fee of $30 per coin plus a $3 processing fee. The average turnaround time for this type of coin is about 14 working days so, including the time it takes to ship both ways, this service will add approximately 3-weeks to total shipping time.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we all getting along yet! We don’t need this thread proofed, where else would I get the latest on this series?

• Options
    drjayceedrjaycee Posts: 35 ✭✭

@HoneyMarket said:

Interesting concept to adding to their "sales" for only customers who bought through them... and only $66

Two Coin Set 2021 Morgan Silver Dollar "CC" & "O" Privy Mark Mint ~ GRADING SERVICE ONLY, NO COINS

This service is only available to existing customers who have already purchased this 2-coin set from our listing.

We will submit your coins directly to NGC for grading and certification for an additional fee of $30 per coin plus a $3 processing fee. The average turnaround time for this type of coin is about 14 working days so, including the time it takes to ship both ways, this service will add approximately 3-weeks to total shipping time.

This seems sketchy to me! So let’s say the person who posted the auction bought 10 CC and 10 Os themselves and has 5 people answer this auction and pay for grading fees. The poster could simply prescreen all customer coins along with his coins and stack the deck in his favor at the same time making it look legit by giving the customers an invoice number where they can now track “their” coins.

• Options

@drjaycee said:

@HoneyMarket said:

This seems sketchy to me! So let’s say the person who posted the auction bought 10 CC and 10 Os themselves and has 5 people answer this auction and pay for grading fees. The poster could simply prescreen all customer coins along with his coins and stack the deck in his favor at the same time making it look legit by giving the customers an invoice number where they can now track “their” coins.

The service is very reasonable...I'll bet they'll even offer a minimum guaranteed score of a 69 or high grading! LOL

• Options

@HoneyMarket said:

@drjaycee said:

@HoneyMarket said:

The service is very reasonable...I'll bet they'll even offer a minimum guaranteed score of a 69 or high grading! LOL

I bet they will offer a guaranteed grade! Makes the potential scam sound even more legit. I am not saying this person is going to do this, but it absolutely is set up in way that a less than honest person can take great advantage of.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2021 4:26PM

@drjaycee said:

@HoneyMarket said:

Why would he bother? If he's a bulk submitter, he may only be paying $10 or $15 per coin, so he's making money on the submission.

Believe it or not, a lot of businesses like to keep their customers happy.

• Options

who needs to screen

just keep the 70s and the unsuspecting ebay buyers will not know.

• Options

Why would he bother? If he's a bulk submitter, he may only be paying $10 or $15 per coin, so he's making money on the submission.

Ok, never mind. I thought it was just an interesting observation on a new type of auction on eBay and could be used as a scam (especially given the sheer number of scams pulled on eBay). It wasn’t some diabolical scheme by me.

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    who needs to screen

Thought it was interesting, and a new one on me. Wasn't aware the bay allowed selling services. Lol, that individual is likely in this forum.

• Options

@drjaycee said:

Ok, never mind. I thought it was just an interesting observation on a new type of auction on eBay and could be used as a scam (especially given the sheer number of scams pulled on eBay). It wasn’t some diabolical scheme by me.

No.... You're definitely on to something that could (or could not be) nefarious and is wide open to abuse by a "not-so-honest" businessman - who's still keeping their customers "happy" with the guaranteed 69! :wink:

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2021 4:59PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    who needs to screen

Not if he gives the buyer the submission form number and which line(s) the buyer's coins are on.

edited to add... If you think the dealer would screw you, why would you buy from him in the first place?

• Options

@MasonG said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    who needs to screen

Not if he gives the buyer the submission form number and which line(s) the buyer's coins are on.

edited to add... If you think the dealer would screw you, why would you buy from > @MsMorrisine said:
    who needs to screen

Yup. Break out the 69s and put them back in OGP.

[Not to add to the paranoia. ]

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

You'd never know if it did. Existing technology is not sufficient to measure levels that high.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2021 7:06PM

@jmlanzaf said:

Lol, easier to number unsuspecting buyer's coins (69's) of course, 1 through 5, and yours (70's) of course, 6 through 10 & send them a copy of the submission form indicating their coins are numbered 1 through 5 to keep them happy. No breaking any out & happy customers when they recive all 69's. Ridiculousness.

Not saying its happening there, but not my ball game.

• Options

@younique said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Lol, easier to number unsuspecting buyer's coins (69's) of course, 1 through 5, and yours (70's) of course, 6 through 10 & send them a copy of the submission form indicating their coins are numbered 1 through 5 to keep them happy. No breaking any out & happy customers when they recive all 69's. Ridiculousness.

Sorry, but my way is the way people do it. Your way doesn't really work since the customer can track the submission form and numbers.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2021 7:26PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@younique said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Sorry, but my way is the way people do it. Your way doesn't really work since the customer can track the submission form and numbers.

Not attempting to be controversial and have no customers. Have broken out a few of my own in the past however prefer not to. Just not in my wheelhouse to deceive customers as this ebay listing has the potential to do.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Is it your listing jmlanzaf?

• Options
    edited June 2, 2021 7:54PM

@younique said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Nope. I wouldn't do it just because of the time involved. Who needs another 3 month delay in completing a deal?

I'm also not actively flipping these despite all the accusations being leveled at me.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2021 8:35PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@younique said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Nope. I wouldn't do it just because of the time involved. Who needs another 3 month delay in completing a deal?

I'm also not actively flipping these despite all the accusations being leveled at me.

Who needs a 270% plus profit over 3 months? I'd think a lot of sellers would grab that sales profit & add to that the grading profit and run. However unscrupulous the ebay ad is & your breakout "procedure" may seem, I'm out of that arena completely. Hopefully that ebay listing is not promoting NGC by one of PCGS's forum members. Though everyone is entitiled a voice.

• Options

if the buyer wants the sub to follow, then there is always the pre-screen route

it's not a deal I'd feel safe doing with some stranger.

• Options

@younique said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@younique said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Who needs a 270% plus profit over 3 months? I'd think a lot of sellers would grab that sales profit & add to that the grading profit and run. However unscrupulous the ebay ad is & your breakout "procedure" may seem, I'm out of that arena completely. Hopefully that ebay listing is not promoting NGC by one of PCGS's forum members. Though everyone is entitiled a voice.

Fake number. You add 3 months to the 5 month shipping delay and you might well find the price has dropped precipitously. Timing is everything on Mint flips.

You are also confusing the issue. We weren't talking about submissions. We were talking about selling them and then submitting them for the customer to sneak an extra 70 out of the deal and then sell the 69s.

This discussion has been closed.