Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:
    "I thought a lack of silver precipitated this whole debacle."

I thought I read that in an E-Mail that was posted also. If the US mint is out of silver they are the only ones I could find. World wide shortage? And my dealer will sell me 500 Silver Eagles at $38.00 a piece. That's some shortage. LOL!

The Mint is not out of silver. They already have the 1,075,000 planchets fur these. Planchets that can't be used for anything else.

What the email said was global silver demand caused their website to crash. But that's nonsense and we all know it. All their other silver products are still on sale. They also did NOT push forward the release of the 2031 Type 2 silver eagle with its 300,00 coins.

• Options
    alangloialangloi Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    No, they have all the silver they need. They are claiming global demand created the problem but we all know that is hogwash.

If also point out they can't use these planchets for bullion issues anyway as they are the wrong weight

Gee, maybe cancel the Morgans and use the 1M+ planchets for the Peace dollar?

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2021 2:44PM

Wonder if the mint site got hacked and they are dealing with that? Several agencies were hit this past week

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    edited May 29, 2021 2:59PM

Apparently on November 5th, 2020 the Mint had the same type of troubles with Cloudflare software reportedly causing the problems. It used the Capcha for that mess.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if and when the website issues are corrected the Mint acknowledged in their last communication that due to the popularity of the release and limited mintage not all who want one will be able to get one.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

@cheezhed said:
    Even if and when the website issues are corrected the Mint acknowledged in their last communication that due to the popularity of the release and limited mintage not all who want one will be able to get one.

Since people won't be satisfied until they are guaranteed a coin, don't expect the problem to ever be fixed.

• Options
    GuxiyouGuxiyou Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@cheezhed said:

Since people won't be satisfied until they are guaranteed a coin, don't expect the problem to ever be fixed.

And guaranteed it is worth more after they purchase it than before ;-)

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to get these but forgot. I did not like the wait until october part nor did I like when the US Mint website did not show a mintage limit a few weeks ago (just a product limit). I certainly think these will continue to be worth double the issue price (especially the CC), but not much more than double.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

[...but not much more than double.]

Famous last words!

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Guxiyou said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cheezhed said:

And guaranteed it is worth more after they purchase it than before ;-)

Sounds about right.

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@younique said:
    Moving on, so in Mint history unavailable doesn't connotate sold out. Opinions appreciated. And where does the Mint go with this issue?

Current Mint definitions of "back order", "currently unavailable", and "sold out" ...

Source: [Link]

Well known, though have seen "unavailable" go to sold out in the past.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 1:44AM

@younique said:
    Well known, though have seen "unavailable" go to sold out in the past.

Agreed.

The operative term in the "currently unavailable" definition is "may".
    As in "additional inventory MAY be produced or become available".

Once this possibility is gone, I assume that the status moves from "currently unavailable" to "sold out".

Edited for a typo.

• Options

HAL, It's Sunday. Open the Morgan Gateway!

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

Regarding the "Status" of coins, there were a couple of instances where SOLD OUT went back on sale. Does not happen often, but I have seen it happen a couple of times.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DotStore said:
    Regarding the "Status" of coins, there were a couple of instances where SOLD OUT went back on sale. Does not happen often, but I have seen it happen a couple of times.

Please give examples of when a Sold Out item has gone back to Currently Unavailable…

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

Please give examples of when a Sold Out item has gone back to Currently Unavailable…

2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Silver Dollars

there was another more recent one where they put up the SOLD OUT sign, but then later changed it to Currently Unavailable. Can't recall what that coin was though.

• Options

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

there was another more recent one where they put up the SOLD OUT sign, but then later changed it to Currently Unavailable. Can't recall what that coin was though.

Baseball Hall of Fame coins were Not under the Current ordering system…

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

Point is that it does not happen often, but the US Mint has stated something as SOLD OUT, and then later was available for sale again

• Options

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

Point is that it does not happen often, but the US Mint has stated something as SOLD OUT, and then later was available for sale again

Point is that is has Not happened under Ryder's watch and the current ordering system...

• Options

I'm still amazed that "silver supply issues" was thrown out there as bold-faced lying chum!

Based om their messed up ordering system, I guess the Mint has been having "supply issues" for the past 10 years!

• Options
    edited May 30, 2021 9:10AM

Plus, call me crazy but I always assumed that most Mint products were pre-struck and waiting to be shipped before orders were taken...so I'm not sure what this months-long delay in shipping actually accomplishes?

To me, that introduces an unnecessary time constraint/pressure...which is not exactly what you want if you want to avoid last-minute striking errors that can go undetected before they're released.

• Options

@RichR said:
    Plus, call me crazy but I always assumed that most Mint products were pre-struck and waiting to be shipped before orders were taken...so I'm not sure what this months-long delay in shipping actually accomplishes?

To me, that introduces an unnecessary time constraint/pressure...which is not exactly what you want if you want to avoid last-minute striking errors that can go undetected before they're released.

Most might be pre-struck, but not all. Similar things were done with the Apollo coins and the Mayflower coins.

The process is identical whether they ship immediately or not. There is likely less time pressure since they don't have to hit the release date. But production should be identical in any case as they don't really know or care what fulfillment is doing.

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

Point is that is has Not happened under Ryder's watch and the current ordering system...

Point is it did happen under the new sales system within the last couple of years. There was a "hot item" that went to SOLD OUT very quickly after the launch date. Only to change to Currently Unavailable and subsequently back on sale again. I Knew they put up the SOLD OUT sign too early on that item. I Just can't recall the item that it happened on.

• Options

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

Point is it did happen under the new sales system within the last couple of years. There was a "hot item" that went to SOLD OUT very quickly after the launch date. Only to change to Currently Unavailable and subsequently back on sale again. I Knew they put up the SOLD OUT sign too early on that item. I Just can't recall the item that it happened on.

I think that was a mistake, not by design. It was last year, I forget which coin, and I swear the sign was only up for a few hours.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

I think that was a mistake, not by design. It was last year, I forget which coin, and I swear the sign was only up for a few hours.

But it happened under Ryder's watch and the current ordering system...

• Options

@DotStore said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

You have NO proof. NO documentation. NO comments on blogs . NO articles. NO nothing …

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

You have NO proof. NO documentation. NO comments on blogs . NO articles. NO nothing …

I'm not sure why we are arguing about this. Everybody is right.

The design of the system is to only go to sold out when it is sold out.

On the other hand, there is nothing binding in any of the designations.

When something goes "sold out", I don't look at it again. If someone wants to check every day to see if they took the sign off, that's no skin off my nose.

• Options
    foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Ah the internet.
    Challenge. Boom.
    Challenge accepted. Pow.
    Doesn't count. Refined challenge. Boom.
    Refined challenge accepted. Pow.
    Doesn't count. Insufficient evidence clause. Boom.
    Backups arrived. I too confirm. Pow.
    Your foolish confirmation merely doubles a zero. 2 x 0 = 0. Boom.
    I remind the jury. Pow.
    You sir point a gun with no bullets. I draw my sword. Pow.

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    I'm still amazed that "silver supply issues" was thrown out there as bold-faced lying chum!

Based om their messed up ordering system, I guess the Mint has been having "supply issues" for the past 10 years!

When I read their message, I thought that was out of place too, and I just figured they said that to puff out a press-release style missive that gives readers unfamiliar with their products a chance to be excited about them. It wasn't meant for us.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet they start shi> @cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

I remember the 2008 platinum eagle I made $60k in two weeks that was a good one some one came on here and said they are back up at the mint if anyone wants one, I had a PayPal cc so every time I sold one on the bay it when right back on my cc with the profits it was crazy I stopped because I felt I was doing something wrong. As quick as I could post them on the bay they where sold it was great.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:

@DotStore said:

I remember the 2008 platinum eagle I made $60k in two weeks that was a good one some one came on here and said they are back up at the mint if anyone wants one, I had a PayPal cc so every time I sold one on the bay it when right back on my cc with the profits it was crazy I stopped because I felt I was doing something wrong. As quick as I could post them on the bay they where sold it was great.

The 2008 platinum eagle was before the current ordering system…

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

@Type2 said:

@DotStore said:

The 2008 platinum eagle was before the current ordering system…

I don’t see any change. Feeling the same to me, I don’t care what you call the system just pump out the coins and get it going your just wasting time.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

My oh my.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

You don’t have to believe him. I do. And if I were in his place, I wouldn’t spend any additional time trying to provide you with information in order to persuade you.

I bet you don't recommend tilting at windmills either. You're no fun at all.

• Options

@RichR said:

Perhaps the mint is pointing fingers at the “supply issue” as a matter of perception. Increasing bullion prices, inflation worries, and the US coin “shortage” are difficult to quantify vis-a-vis their direct effect on sales, but they’re probably factoring in to some buyers’ decisions. It could have had an impact, but it’s still disingenuous of them to declare that is THE problem with the Morgan sale.

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

You guys do know that even if the mint fixes the ordering issue (and given the same parameters as before - HHL 10, mintage numbers and price etc...), some of us would still get the OUT OF STOCK screen, formally known as the Bad Gateway screen.

Only difference is we'll get this updated screen faster and on one click.

So then we would have another round of complains again.

• Options

@BipolarExpress said:

@RichR said:

Perhaps the mint is pointing fingers at the “supply issue” as a matter of perception. Increasing bullion prices, inflation worries, and the US coin “shortage” are difficult to quantify vis-a-vis their direct effect on sales, but they’re probably factoring in to some buyers’ decisions. It could have had an impact, but it’s still disingenuous of them to declare that is THE problem with the Morgan sale.

It had no impact on the noon release.

• Options

@Sweetpie said:
    You guys do know that even if the mint fixes the ordering issue (and given the same parameters as before - HHL 10, mintage numbers and price etc...), some of us would still get the OUT OF STOCK screen, formally known as the Bad Gateway screen.

Only difference is we'll get this updated screen faster and on one click.

So then we would have another round of complains again.

I never complain

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 3:07PM

@cagcrisp said:

@DotStore said:

@cagcrisp said:

Wow...Talk about Moving the Goal Posts...

you asked: "Please give examples of when a Sold Out item has gone back to Currently Unavailable…"

You were provided an answer and then you moved the goalposts to another stadium!

You Have a Future in Politics...

BST references available on request

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the mint provides an update this week. Otherwise we'll go back and forth until the cows come home.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

If seasoned collectors can’t agree on a fair system that works as intended, no wonder why the mint can’t get this fixed. One of those wicked problems…

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lower hhl to 1
    And
    Fix the site for high traffic days

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 4:23PM

In the old days, circa 2006, I managed to call the warehouse and speak with the lady who managed inventory. I got the last 6 reverse proof gold coin sets that way. She pulled them off the shelf and put an order in for me. That was well after they sold out (3-4 months). I had an order of 10 canceled due to my bank declining the charge and since they sold out, I couldn't get another order in through HQ in Washington DC, online, or through the 1-800 number. I went round and round with the mint for a long time before I found the golden goose.

Those days are long gone.

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@foraiur said:
    Ah the internet.
    Challenge. Boom.
    Challenge accepted. Pow.
    Doesn't count. Refined challenge. Boom.
    Refined challenge accepted. Pow.
    Doesn't count. Insufficient evidence clause. Boom.
    Backups arrived. I too confirm. Pow.
    Your foolish confirmation merely doubles a zero. 2 x 0 = 0. Boom.
    I remind the jury. Pow.
    You sir point a gun with no bullets. I draw my sword. Pow.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

BST references available on request

This discussion has been closed.