Home U.S. Coin Forum

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:
    The best way to deal with this is to officially announce that there will be 2022 Morgan & Peace Dollars. You miss your chance in 2021, you'll have another one in 2022. Or another idea would be to have decided against issuing 2021 silver proof set and reallocate the limited silver to make more Morgan and Peace Dollars since silver dollars are more popular than silver dimes, quarters and halves.

How would that fix the website?

A 2022 coin doesn't commemorate the 100th anniversary of anything.

You can also strike all the coins this year and simply release them in 2022 if you think, for no reason, that they can fix the software/infrastructure next year but not this year.

• olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@olympicsos said:
    The best way to deal with this is to officially announce that there will be 2022 Morgan & Peace Dollars. You miss your chance in 2021, you'll have another one in 2022. Or another idea would be to have decided against issuing 2021 silver proof set and reallocate the limited silver to make more Morgan and Peace Dollars since silver dollars are more popular than silver dimes, quarters and halves.

You can also strike all the coins this year and simply release them in 2022 if you think, for no reason, that they can fix the software/infrastructure next year but not this year.

There's demand to make the Morgan and Peace Dollars an annual series. Even if the US Mint fixes the software/infrastructure, silver dollars are so popular that not everyone will be able to get a coin direct from the mint. If the US Mint says there's limited silver, they could have skipped having a 2021 silver proof set and reallocate that silver to increase the mintage/product limits for the 2021 silver dollars since silver dollars are more popular than Roosevelt Dimes, ATB Quarters, Kennedy Halves.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

What will the mint try now? Captcha was terrible, refresh lock-outs were a nightmare, bad gateway wasn't much fun...this is truly a version of musical chairs.
    Perhaps a voice recognition system like Alexa?
    Maybe the mint will develop some type of reservation system.
    Perhaps you will need to wait in line for hours (on-line) to purchase.
    How about raising the prices so high the number of purchasers would diminish.
    Maybe they come up with an in house purchasing card that you have to pay dues on yearly...the mint club card.
    How about releasing them at random times so nobody knows when to buy them.
    All terrible ideas mind you.
    The problem remains the same...100,000 people calling in at the same time.

This calls for a new T-Shirt.

edited May 28, 2021 4:26AM

@olympicsos said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@olympicsos said:

There's demand to make the Morgan and Peace Dollars an annual series. Even if the US Mint fixes the software/infrastructure, silver dollars are so popular that not everyone will be able to get a coin direct from the mint. If the US Mint says there's limited silver, they could have skipped having a 2021 silver proof set and reallocate that silver to increase the mintage/product limits for the 2021 silver dollars since silver dollars are more popular than Roosevelt Dimes, ATB Quarters, Kennedy Halves.

They didn't say there was limited silver. They said there was high demand...which is why they are fixing the website to create a "positive" customer experience. They are saying there are more buyers than coins not that they couldn't strike more coins.

• spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2021 4:27AM

Mmmmm..."The global silver shortage has driven demand for many of our bullion".(from the mint)

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2021 4:38AM

[[As the demand for silver remains greater than the supply, the reality is such that not everyone will be able to purchase a coin.]]?????

OK...having just read the Mint notice three times...I ask this...why are they mixing message here?

The worldwide silver shortage and their website technical issues are two separate, but important, issues!

Now don't get me wrong...if they do anything to improve the ordering issues, that would be great. But that has nothing to do with silver availability. Are they implying that they're unable to get the planchets to mint the remaining coins?

If so, that's an even bigger problem!

edited May 28, 2021 4:37AM

@RichR said:
    OK...having just read the Mint notice three times...I ask this...why are they mixing message here?

The worldwide silver shortage and their website technical issues are two separate, but important, issues!

Now don't get me wrong...if they do anything to improve the ordering issues, that would be great. But that has nothing to do with silver availability. Are they implying that they're unable to get the planchets to mint the remaining coins?

If so, that's an even bigger problem!

They aren't "mixing messages". They are saying they have a demand problem and want to improve the website to handle the demand. Personally, it is a stupid argument for the demand problem. It isn't bullion silver eagles that crash the website. It is limited edition releases at a specific minute in time that crash the website.

They are NOT indicating any inability to get planchets. In fact, they previously said they had acquired the 1.075 million planchets for these.

• spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

Maybe they're implying these items wouldn't be so popular if silver coins were more readily available. If these items weren't so in demand, there wouldn't be a problem ordering them. I think they're trying their best to figure out how to cope. Time will tell.

@spotthedog said:
    Maybe they're implying these items wouldn't be so popular if silver coins were more readily available. If these items weren't so in demand, there wouldn't be a problem ordering them. I think they're trying their best to figure out how to cope. Time will tell.

I think they are trying to blame the "globe" for the Mint created supply problem. No one is buying these because they can't find other bullion.

edited May 28, 2021 4:44AM

[[As the demand for silver remains greater than the supply, the reality is such that not everyone will be able to purchase a coin.]]

My point is this guys...why is the word "silver" even in their message?

If you have a crap ordering system...just say that you need to address it before the next phase of sales. Does it matter if your product is made of silver, gold, or platinum?

And PS...that's fine by me because I was banking on an absolute train wreck on Tuesday...so more power to them.

As far as I'm concerned, they should lower the HHL and extend the chaos period...at least then we might have an hour to jam through the door instead of 20 minutes!

edited May 28, 2021 4:43AM

@RichR said:
    [[As the demand for silver remains greater than the supply, the reality is such that not everyone will be able to purchase a coin.]]

My point is this guys...why is the word "silver" even in their message?

If you have a crap ordering system...just say that you need to address it before the next phase of sales. Does it matter if your product is made of silver, gold, or platinum?

It doesn't. It's a lame excuse. They didn't suspend silver eagle sales...which requires far more silver than commemorative coins. If silver, generically, were the problem, they would have suspended all silver sales.

If a global silver shortage were creating demand for $85 bullion coins, the spot price of silver would be $85.

• Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

You all are reading too much into the letter. They are blaming the demand/amount of people trying for this on the popularity of silver right now. Whether that’s true in relation to this product doesn’t really matter, I think it’s more the offers to buy that get picked up on money blogs. Is all the letter is saying is the website crashed and people are upset we will try to fix it.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

either mint to demand; ordering window from x to y, close it, ship.

or

Dutch style. Sell 100,000 coins opening price is high, say $1,000 and drops $25 every 30 minutes until they are all sold.

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint to demand would really make sense.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

@Raufus said:
    Mint to demand would really make sense.

Then they could actually mint fewer of them.

[[Mint to demand would really make sense.]]

But the silver...THE SILVER!!!!

so does this mean they aren't selling any more O or CC?

My wife...who knows nothing about coin goings on...heard me cackling after reading the Mint message, rolled over in bed, and said, "Their website is from Hunger...FIX IT!"

They could open a Mint To Demand (MTD) product line. Have engravers throw out some cool coin designs and open the ordering window. If more than XX,XXX orders made, they make the product. If less, they don't.

That's on top of the regular issues that could be MTD'ed.

[[so does this mean they aren't selling any more O or CC?]]

Let me translate this "But other than that Mrs. Lincoln...how was the show?"

if I were a betting man, i think they will retroactively apply order limits to the O and CC

• coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

They have done that many times before as well

@jessewvu said:
    if I were a betting man, i think they will retroactively apply order limits to the O and CC

That could push the price up

Price wise—no for the ones offered already; but limiting larger orders back down to 10 is a possibility

edited May 28, 2021 5:37AM

[[if I were a betting man, i think they will retroactively apply order limits to the O and CC]]

That would not be kosher unless you can trace back many accounts to the same source.

@coiner said:
    Price wise—no for the ones offered already; but limiting larger orders back down to 10 is a possibility

Huh?

edited May 28, 2021 5:41AM

I do find it amusing that the Mint decided to take orders on a coin that they themselves have decided not to ship until October...which in turn has caused a feeding frenzy and price spikes in the secondary market.

Why do I think that it's these secondary price spikes, and not the Mint's messed up ordering system, that's driven this decision?

For some reason, the Mint only seems to act when there's money being made by others in the secondary market...despite the fact that it's their actions that set the train in motion.

@RichR said:
    [[if I were a betting man, i think they will retroactively apply order limits to the O and CC]]

That would not be kosher unless you can trace back many accounts to the same source.

The USM on previous issues has limited retroactively large orders down to the initial lower limit.
    It has been done before guys.

edited May 28, 2021 5:46AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

Huh?

Don't take orders away from those that got more than 10 but do limit those who want more than 10 going forward, i think.

@jmlanzaf said:

@coiner said:

Huh?

Commenting on price changes. Those purchased already—they would not change the transaction price. Those offered later—anyone’s guess

how about those that got more than 10 have their "over limit" orders canceled but get a gold version as a gesture of good will.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

no release today yet.

Many happy BST transactions
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

Loves me some shiny!

I just want a 2021 P Morgan for a pocket piece.

don't hate the player, hate the game

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it all. Bring it on.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • mynamespatmynamespat Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

The mint probably just decided jamming all this free publicity into just a 3 week period was a total waste of the hype train.

edited May 28, 2021 6:18AM

Who was that guy alone in the middle of a field in Connecticut last week...who got right through?

He's going to have lots of company in the future!

It's part of the agricultural stimulus plan! Wouldn't it be something if the mint throttled IP addresses regionally?

• JeffMJeffM Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    Who was that guy alone in the middle of a field in Connecticut last week...who got right through?

He's going to have lots of company in the future!

Not only in the middle of a field, but he used a hand crank powered phone. The last time he ordered from the Mint, he climbed up to the top of a telephone pole and used the Green Acres phone.

edited May 28, 2021 6:40AM

I'm old enough to remember when you received something called a paper order form in something called the mail, and you filled it out and stuck something called a stamp on that thingy, what was it called? Oh yeah, an envelope, and mailed it back to the Mint.

And there were order limits, usually 5 per address (even for normal things like mint and proof sets), and after the Mint did their best to reconcile orders, they started shipping. And sometimes they reduced the limit from 5 to a lower number for overall fairness.

But that required work on their part...and we don't want that now, do we?

Meanwhile, what I just described was probably accomplished by 20 blue-haired old ladies with glasses hanging on chains around their necks!

my very first US mint "mail" order was for a 2001 American Buffalo coin in college. I got a letter that they sold out... The rest is history.

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first US Mint mail order was for a 1969 Proof set. I remember how excited I was to be able to order it directly. I think it cost $5.00...

• drjayceedrjaycee Posts: 35 ✭✭

Fix the website, reduce HHL to 2, reduce mintage number to 50,000, eliminate that 10% dealer thing and badda boom, badda bing, more people get less coins and it eliminates the silver demand issue somewhat.

• bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Anyone trying to get the O or CC coins today? Any luck yet?

Nothing today as of 10:30

This discussion has been closed.