Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

My pending credit card charge dropped off today for my order. Order isn’t canceled yet but should I be ordered?

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 8:55AM

@jessewvu said:
    My pending credit card charge dropped off today for my order. Order isn’t canceled yet but should I be ordered?

I do not know your entire order situation. That said, ...

Pending charges typically drop off your credit card if not 'finalized/posted' within a few days.
    The Mint charges your credit card when they actually ship, which 'triggers' a posted transaction.
    Since these coins have not shipped yet, it is normal for the pending charge to drop.
    Link: https://catalog.usmint.gov/faqs-faqcategory-order-payment-processing/processing-fulfillment-credit-card-charge.html

IOW, this, by itself, is not a 'red flag'. Rather, it is expected.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 9:14AM

_

Not being silver killed this and spooked the 2018rpset****_ I __refer you to the uber rare 2017-S Enhanced uncirculated coin set which had a less than $30 initial price tag and has one of the rarest Lincoln cents and Kennedy halves (205,000 each) and yet was totally unflippable when the Mint messed up the distribution of the sets

sorry credit to JM Lanza!

>

having problems with data entry. Silver comments are mine

>

>

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:

That's just an "authorization", which will disappear after several days.

• Options
    drjayceedrjaycee Posts: 35 ✭✭

What happens if your credit card expires before the shipment date? I wonder if you can just enter another credit card in the account section and remove the one that will expire.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 1:45PM

[What happens if your credit card expires before the shipment date? I wonder if you can just enter another credit card in the account section and remove the one that will expire.]

I'm pretty sure that would NOT work. If your credit card is set to expire, I would definitely call their customer service line, hope you get a helpful droid, and ask them to link the sale/order to a new credit card.

Otherwise, I can very easily imagine your order(s) getting canned!

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    [What happens if your credit card expires before the shipment date? I wonder if you can just enter another credit card in the account section and remove the one that will expire.]

I'm pretty sure that would NOT work. If your credit card is set to expire, I would definitely call their customer service line, hope you get a helpful droid, and ask them to link the sale/order to a new credit card.

If you’re able to do this, please let me know. As already mentioned by myself and others, there’s no payment method associated with one of my orders and they won’t let me change that.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drjaycee said:
    What happens if your credit card expires before the shipment date? I wonder if you can just enter another credit card in the account section and remove the one that will expire.

You knew delivery wasn’t until October you should have thought about that earlier. CANCELED

• Options
    drjayceedrjaycee Posts: 35 ✭✭

@Weather11am said:

@RichR said:

If you’re able to do this, please let me know. As already mentioned by myself and others, there’s no payment method associated with one of my orders and they won’t let me change that.

I will be giving this a shot tomorrow and will let you know.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drjaycee said:

I think I would just use the same card and number. I would update the card in my account settings and then call the mint and update the order with the updated expiration date when you get it.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weather11am said:

@RichR said:

They have not been allowing editing of payment information at all during the last year. I'm not 100% sure why.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

They also didn’t take orders either

Perhaps now they will change CC info on orders

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Important to limit post-purchase alteration of payment info because of bot and reseller activity. Not a good idea for them to allow changing CC after fact before charge.

• Options

@foraiur said:
    Important to limit post-purchase alteration of payment info because of bot and reseller activity. Not a good idea for them to allow changing CC after fact before charge.

Explain more, I don’t get it

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing that that the Peace dollar represents victory and the end of WWI, why not give veterans first crack at the 2021 Peace dollars? I know it's a pipe dream, I'm all for it, how about you?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2021 5:08AM

@morgansforever said:
    Seeing that that the Peace dollar represents victory and the end of WWI, why not give veterans first crack at the 2021 Peace dollars? I know it's a pipe dream, I'm all for it, how about you?

WW I vets?

It's not commemorating the military. Soldiers don't win wars. Nations win wars. Someone has to make the ships and planes and weapons. Someone needs to send food and clothing to soldiers.

Let me guess, you're veteran?

• Options
    edited June 4, 2021 7:25AM

Yeah I'm a veteran, so what? I understand it's not commemorating the military, just an idea.

Let me guess, you scored 500 of each?

• Options

@morgansforever said:
    Yeah I'm a veteran, so what? I understand it's not commemorating the military, just an idea.

Thank you for your service.

It's just that everyone only posts ideas that benefit them. Didn't mean it as an attack.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough for nations to win wars without military JM. With that said, would totally support first dibs for living ww1 vets but CPL Buckles passed in 2011 I believe and was the last surviving military member from WW1

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    Tough for nations to win wars without military JM. With that said, would totally support first dibs for living ww1 vets but CPL Buckles passed in 2011 I believe and was the last surviving military member from WW1

And "soldiers" are part of "nation", perhaps a favored part. No disrespect to the military is intended. I simply don't see the argument for making these preferentially available to veterans.

NOW, if you wanted to argue for a military preference for ALL Mint releases, that would be a different story.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the United States Mint Today:

Order Update

Dear cagcrisp,

Thank you for your Morgan Dollar purchase supporting this historic program’s centennial anniversary. We are grateful for your support and are excited to offer the Morgan and Peace Dollars program.

Due to a system error, you may have seen an estimated ship date of June 2021 when completing your purchase. As stated on our webpages and in the prelaunch emails, these coins will be shipped in October or November. While we regret the delay, this special coin is sure to be a standout addition to your collection.

We appreciate your interest in the Mint’s numismatic programs.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

System Error - you mean you entered the wrong date for shipping.....:)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Email from US MInt.

• Options

For those that Continue to Believe (wrongly) that the Mint will release more Morgan CC’s or Morgan O’s because there is No Mintage Limit Listed…

This is the First time we’ve seen the word “November”

The Mint has NO SILVER PLANCHETS other than what has been procured Already…

• Options

Anytime you get an email from the Mint that the title is “An update on your U.S. Mint order” You have to Wonder what’s in the body of the email…

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2021 9:44AM

@cagcrisp said:

For those that Continue to Believe (wrongly) that the Mint will release more Morgan CC’s or Morgan O’s because there is No Mintage Limit Listed…

The Mint has CLEARLY stated how many "CC" and "O" Morgans will be produced.

• Options

Mint be like An update to our answer to your question about our update to our update/s about that release we told you seventeen times you do NOT want to miss!

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2021 10:16AM

The mint announced that new Morgan dollars--arguably the most popular coin in all of numismatics--would be available for the first time in living memory. 100 years, way longer than any of us have been alive.

The Mint announced them with plenty of time for anyone truly interested.

They also announced mintages in advance, easily showing these would become keys to the series*

The Mint announced the day, date, time down to the minute when they would be open for ordering.

They were discussed at length, in advance, on forums like this. People were reminded that they needed to check things like their log-in information, their credit card information, shipping details, etc.

They were discussed, in advance, in main stream media outlets: A warning that interest could be very high, even outside of our community.

On the day they were released, to nobody's surprise, the mint was deluged with between 25 and 250 orders per second until they were sold out.

They were announced. They were offered for sale. People wanted them. People bought them. They sold out.

That you specifically didn't get one isn't an issue the mint can fix.

*assuming these will be collected with the series.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

This is the First time we’ve seen the word “November”

The Mint has NO SILVER PLANCHETS other than what has been procured Already…

Mint gaslighting?
    "Why are you questioning November? We've always said October or November". lol

If November becomes December this might be cause for me to crap my pantaloons since my card expires 11/30.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@morgansforever said:

Thank you for your service.

It's just that everyone only posts ideas that benefit them. Didn't mean it as an attack.

It's all good, irritated that I couldn't get one of each, life will go on without them.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    I don’t think I’ve seen a bigger debacle from the mint than the release of these coins. And that’s saying a lot.

Yes, it's like a failing carnival within a dying circus.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

When these coins are finally offered by the dealers (assuming they offer them), they will be marketed as Christmas presents (or maybe even Valentine's presents).

• Options
    originalsandmanoriginalsandman Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

It's definitely a huge mess. I wonder how long we will have to wait until the mint 'decides' its ready to resume offering the other coins?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    It's just that everyone only posts ideas that benefit them.

Personally, I'd like to see the Mint do a junior high student mail order only sale followed by incarcerated phone only. After that, new release giveaway to those who sign up for a credit card during those flight attendant pitches. Randomize the rest in the bottom of Metamucil containers.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m guessing this has been posted already from the us mint.

Thank you for your Morgan Dollar purchase supporting this historic program’s centennial anniversary. We are grateful for your support and are excited to offer the Morgan and Peace Dollars program.

Due to a system error, you may have seen an estimated ship date of June 2021 when completing your purchase. As stated on our webpages and in the prelaunch emails, these coins will be shipped in October or November. While we regret the delay, this special coin is sure to be a standout addition to your collection.

We appreciate your interest in the Mint's numismatic programs.

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

The email I would like to receive...

...Due to a system error the upper level management at the USM has been replaced with people competent to successfully manage operations properly.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:

...Due to a system error the upper level management at the USM has been replaced with people competent to successfully manage operations properly.

According to Coin World, the coins were sold out "in a matter of minutes." That would seem to be a successful result, would it not?

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2021 12:55PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    who needs to screen

just keep the 70s and the unsuspecting ebay buyers will not know.

Not if he gives the buyer the submission form number and which line(s) the buyer's coins are on.

edited to add... If you think the dealer would screw you, why would you buy from > @MsMorrisine said:
    who needs to screen

just keep the 70s and the unsuspecting ebay buyers will not know.

Yup. Break out the 69s and put them back in OGP.

[Not to add to the paranoia. ]

…if only the US mint did this…there wouldn’t be a national debt leftover after just a couple more releases…with what these bozos are paying for 70’s these days, forgetaboutit ;)

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@smuglr said:

According to Coin World, the coins were sold out "in a matter of minutes." That would seem to be a successful result, would it not?

There is more to running an operation than just selling out. I thought the day of sales actually went well. But every move they've made since that day has been a pig pile of you know what.

• Options

Stepping back…I must say this…except for postponing the second and third coins sales…everything so far has unfolded exactly as was expected:

1. It was a total and complete circus on Day 1.
    2. Followed by complaints complaints complaints on this board.
    3. A initial spike in prices on eBay.
    4. Deliveries not expected until the late fall…as advertised.

But as a marketing person, I must say that the Mint’s communications team needs to hang it up!

PS…not really sure what’s happened that was not as advertised or as expected to make this program “a failure”…unless you only care about flipping right here and right now…but again…these were never promised before the fall.

• Options

@RichR said:
    Stepping back…I must say this…except for postponing the second and third coins sales…everything so far has unfolded exactly as was expected:

1. It was a total and complete circus on Day 1.
    2. Followed by complaints complaints complaints on this board.
    3. A initial spike in prices on eBay.
    4. Deliveries not expected until the late fall…as advertised.

But as a marketing person, I must say that the Mint’s communications team needs to hang it up!

PS…not really sure what’s happened that was not as advertised or as expected to make this program “a failure”…unless you only care about flipping right here and right now…but again…these were never promised before the fall.

Yeah, their communications team is awful.

• Options

...and still selling for approx. $225 to $250 on EB...sight unseen.

I wish my stock portfolio appreciated by 200% in a month!

• Options

@RichR said:
    ...and still selling for approx. $225 to $250 on EB...sight unseen.

I wish my stock portfolio appreciated by 200% in a month!

There's really no risk to buying them. If the price drops before October, you just cancel.

• Options

@morgansforever said:

I could get behind something like this.

It wouldn’t work, though.

“Stolen Valor”

It’s easy to fake a DD 214

• Options
    edited June 4, 2021 3:28PM

Down to 500 eBay auctions

The 7 day or less number fewer than 200

• Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

This is what is says on the Mint order page for the Morgans:

Due to the extraordinary volume of web traffic during the first pre-order window for the 2021 Morgan Dollars with Carson City privy mark (21XC) and New Orleans privy mark (21XD), we are postponing the pre-order windows for the remaining 2021 Morgan and Peace Dollars while improvements in web traffic management are implemented to enhance the customer experience. We will announce revised pre-order launch dates as soon as possible.

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options

"new listing" down to 30

when do we see price increases?

• Options

Call me crazy...but WHENEVER coins 3, 4, 5 & 6 are sold...won't that also reignite interest in acquiring coins 1 & 2?

This discussion has been closed.