Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2021 4:23PM

Absolutely!!! Soon as it is in cart you have NLT 5 mikes to check out or it is released. Simply no reason that cannot happen

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Yup!!

“My only request for a new mint website shopping experience would be once an item is in your bag, you should be able to purchase it without it disappearing or freezing the program. Too many times I've had a coin in the bag and as I get to the end of the purchase, I get that pesky notification This Item is NO Longer Available....c'mon, I had it in the bag!!!!”

Soon to be followed by...

“My only request for a new mint website shopping experience would be once you're on the order page, you should be able to add the item to your bag without it disappearing or freezing the program. Too many times I've been on the order page and as I go to add the item to my bag, I get that pesky notification This Item is NO Longer Available....c'mon, I was on the order page!!!!”

• Options

Or just what he said out of inventory when in the cart with time limit imposed to finish order

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@jessewvu said:

That would test the limits of their new website management software. 🤩

Okay. This thread grows daily. It'll explode once the next batch of Morgans are released. Here we are, June 9'th and still on hold with TBD...is the mint actually installing new website software?? How much longer will we be waiting? Not much happening in June, just the Pong Innovative Dollar, then July happens with all the type-2 ASE's...and AGE's...it's gonna be busy, we'll definitely be testing the limits of their new website software.
    My only request for a new mint website shopping experience would be once an item is in your bag, you should be able to purchase it without it disappearing or freezing the program. Too many times I've had a coin in the bag and as I get to the end of the purchase, I get that pesky notification This Item is NO Longer Available....c'mon, I had it in the bag!!!!

That'll just result in your not being able to get it in the bag. You're just moving the bottleneck.

• Options

@MrBear said:
    I sold about 100,000 of them on eBay for $200 each. Now I'm heading to some country with no extradition treaty with the US, and some heavy suitcases full of linen...

Why stop at 100k? You've got 3 or 4 more months of selling available.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

That'll just result in your not being able to get it in the bag. You're just moving the bottleneck.

Then we are at an impasse. Nothing can solve this bottleneck. 100,000 people squeezing through a tiny window will frustrate all that cannot fit through. It is a game of musical chairs. When there is a fire, everyone panics and rushes to the exit, not everyone fits through, some get trampled, many perish.

I don't remember it being so frustrating for so many as it has been in the last couple years...what has changed? Management?

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

I don't remember it being so frustrating for so many as it has been in the last couple years...what has changed? Management?

I blame buyers clubs. The non numismatic community going for these coins for a pittance is a big factor.
    I was shutout for both coins. Can’t win them all I guess.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@Tomthemailcarrier said:

@Onastone said:

I blame buyers clubs. The non numismatic community going for these coins for a pittance is a big factor.

If you want the coins, you will just need to buy from the dealers when they have them available. The Mint is now an inventory supply house for dealers, buyer's clubs, and flippers. It is becoming more and more difficult to break through the overflowing crowds of them snapping up every coin they can get their hands on. I am not even trying for the Morgan and Peace dollars from the Mint because it's a waste of my time, energy, and emotions. A lot of these coins went to the dealers. Those in the ABPP already have their initial allocation locked up. I am waiting for the dealers to finally decide to sell these coins.

• Options

@Tomthemailcarrier said:

@Onastone said:

Yeah, I don't know. It has NEVER been easy when there is an actual limited mintage coin released but it has seemed worse in the last couple of years. Buyer's clubs are at least part of the issue. You see it on the forum when all those zero post people show up to sell on the BST.

I also think the Mint's attempt to eliminate the bots are also part of the frustration. Going back 15 years or so it was a struggle, but you didn't get those gateway errors or the suspensions from refreshing which are, I think, part of the protocols they put in place to try and weed out bots.

I remember a decade ago sitting there and hitting refresh/refresh/refresh. It was a little frustrating, but it didn't lock me out or erase my payment info or do any of the annoying little things it is doing now.

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

>

I remember a decade ago sitting there and hitting refresh/refresh/refresh. It was a little frustrating, but it didn't lock me out or erase my payment info or do any of the annoying little things it is doing now.

JM
    The reason you didn't get locked out back then was because no one has your "state of the art" 14.4 kbps modem then.

:)

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭

@Sweetpie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

>

The reason you didn't get locked out back then was because no one has your "state of the art" 14.4 kbps modem then.

:)

What is a modem?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Buyer's clubs are not the cause. They developed due to the Mint's success preventing large-scale buyers and flippers from vacuuming up all the coins with automated means. If they reverted to the good ole days when you didn’t have all these website issues, you’d end up with no coins. If they switch to locking inventory once added to the cart, you're at an even worse disadvantage to automated methods than you are now.

• Options

@foraiur said:
    Buyer's clubs are not the cause. They developed due to the Mint's success preventing large-scale buyers and flippers from vacuuming up all the coins with automated means. If they reverted to the good ole days when you didn’t have all these website issues, you’d end up with no coins. If they switch to locking inventory once added to the cart, you're at an even worse disadvantage to automated methods than you are now.

I agree with this, although I do think that makes buyer's clubs part of the current problem. You're right. If the bots got them all, we wouldn't be complaining about the buyer's clubs. That doesn't, however, mean that the buyer's clubs aren't currently a problem.

• Options
    foraiurforaiur Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Sure, but it misdirects people. Any changes you make have to be at least as good at addressing the main threat, or it's counterproductive. Buyers clubs are far down the threat tree for average collectors. People saying things like, yay for waiting rooms, don't understand the technology. They'll be sitting there thinking they’ve got a lottery ticket like everyone else. Meanwhile, they're against a dude who literally has 500 or more chances.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2021 9:00AM

I'm still thinking that imposing a low mintage limit of 1 or 2 coins for the first few days...and then gradually raising it over the next few days...would lengthen the window for "people like us" to at least secure a couple for our collections. How about:
    Days 1 & 2: HH Limit 1 or 2 coins
    Days 3 & 4: HH Limit 5 coins
    Day 5+: No HH Limit

I'm sure there would still be bandwidth issues and glitches...but it might eliminate the fury of an 18-minute sellout.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of these posts remind me of the guy who buys 1- 50/50 raffle ticket at the ball game with 50,000 people in the stadium then whines because he lost. News flash... as long as demand exceeds supply you're going to have unhappy people no matter who actually gets the product or what new improved "fair" system gets implemented. And the Mint laughs all the way to the bank because controversy gives them worldwide free pub and more eyes on the next issues.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

When people talk about a "new improved fair system", what they really mean is a system that improves the chances that their order is accepted.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

A HHL of 1 turns a $150 coin ($85.00 cost) into a $50 coin.

Some do Not care.

THERE is the problem...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

“People”

Good thing I am a singular person. I definitely don’t fit into the “people” category

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

What makes some people successful in ordering from the Mint and others not? Is it their computers? Internet speed? Bots? Number of people they have buying for them?

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2021 9:47AM

[A HHL of 1 turns a $150 coin ($85.00 cost) into a $50 coin.]

Possibly true...but the Mint might want to put that to the test...and actually try it for a limited time.

Plus, it would also give everyone here who thinks they know best, a view of what the alternative looks like.

• Options

@JeffM said:
    What makes some people successful in ordering from the Mint and others not? Is it their computers? Internet speed? Bots? Number of people they have buying for them?

I have no bots and nobody ordering for me. My internet sucks and my computer is more than 5 years old.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@JeffM said:

I have no bots and nobody ordering for me. My internet sucks and my computer is more than 5 years old.

So you're never able to order any of these limited edition items from the mint, then?

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2021 11:01AM

I'd just like to see them require a little knowledge and/or risk-taking. When they announce a low mintage for a very popular coin, it's a no-brainer for everyone to try and make a quick buck. So everyone tries and chaos ensues.

Without any risk, the non-numismatic types are incentivized to devise schemes to beat the system and ruin the process for everyone.

Take a minute and do a little thought experiment:
    What if we didn't know in advance what the mintage was going to be for these dollars??
    Collectors would certainly order them.
    Dealers would order a prudent amount for their inventory. Then maybe some more as the days passed.
    But their would be some risk for flippers to jump in or not. They'd have to wonder if the mintage will be high or will we be surprised by a sell out tomorrow.
    If it sells out unexpectedly - we have scarcity and a coin that will appreciate a bit. (sort of like it used to be)

• Options

@RichR said:
    [A HHL of 1 turns a $150 coin ($85.00 cost) into a $50 coin.]

Possibly true...but the Mint might want to put that to the test...and actually try it for a limited time.

The United States Mint did it with the 2016 Standing Liberty Gold. September 8, 2016, 47,884 were sold with a HHL of 1 for a cost of $485.00.

The only reason the coin is selling Today for above Mint cost is Spot Gold has gone up 45% from Launch Day...

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JeffM said:

So you're never able to order any of these limited edition items from the mint, then?

Lol. I have never gotten totally shut out. But I don't always get everything. I got the 75th anniversary silver eagle but not the gold, for example.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Lol. I have never gotten totally shut out.

How can that be??? The bots, man- my God, the bots!!!

• Options

@rip_f said:
    I'd just like to see them require a little knowledge and/or risk-taking. When they announce a low mintage for a very popular coin, it's a no-brainer for everyone to try and make a quick buck. So everyone tries and chaos ensues.

Without any risk, the non-numismatic types are incentivized to devise schemes to beat the system and ruin the process for everyone.

What if we didn't know in advance what the mintage was going to be for these dollars??
    Collectors would certainly order them.
    Dealers would order a prudent amount for their inventory. Then maybe some more as the days passed.
    But their would be some risk for flippers to jump in or not. They'd have to wonder if the mintage will be high or will we be surprised by a sell out tomorrow.
    If it sells out unexpectedly - we have scarcity and a coin that will appreciate a bit. (sort of like it used to be)

There's no advantage to anyone to create uncertainty.

You are also ignoring the "collectors" who don't but all mint products, but do but the occasional rarity because they think or hope it will go up.

The easiest solution, which no one likes, is to raise the price or auction the coins. That'll eliminate flipping. But, of course, you don't want to pay more.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Lol. I have never gotten totally shut out.

How can that be??? The bots, man- my God, the bots!!

Lol.

Just lucky, I guess.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

But why make it a 100% no-risk certainty?
    Some uncertainty in this situation would solve the problem.
    There wouldn't be much uncertainty for those of us that collect, or who know the coin market.

• Options

@rip_f said:

Transparency helps everyone.
    Secrecy helps those on the inside that DO know the mintages
    Not publishing mintages would turn the United States Mint into Insider Trading on Steroids..

• Options
    edited June 10, 2021 12:57PM

@rip_f said:

@jmlanzaf said:

But why make it a 100% no-risk certainty?
    Some uncertainty in this situation would solve the problem.
    There wouldn't be much uncertainty for those of us that collect, or who know the coin market.

They're would be huge uncertainty for many who collect and everyone who knows the coin market. How would knowing the coin market help you if you don't know whether there are going to be 10,000 coins or 1 million?

And when someone gets shut out because it suddenly sold out early because it was a 5,000 mintage, you don't think anyone will complain?

Why not just auction them off? Afraid you'll have to pay more? It guarantees that everyone who really wants one can get one.

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@rip_f said:

Transparency helps everyone.
    Not publishing mintages would turn the United States Mint into Insider Trading on Steroids..

But think of all the free lunches that Mint employees would get. Lol

And think of all the fun we'll have on here listening to people complain that " [fill in the blank] must have known the mintage was limited"

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@rip_f said:

So much worry about insiders and the big guys cheating.
    The Mint has proven to be able to keep a secret if they want to. Even our crack numis-media can't pry even unimportant facts out of them.
    Those of us who are not consumed by suspicion or paranoia, can imagine the occasional unpublished mintage coin scenario playing out over several years. It would be beneficial to the hobby and the market while avoiding the chaos.

• Options

@rip_f said:

@cagcrisp said:

@rip_f said:

The Mint has proven to be able to keep a secret if they want to. Even our crack numis-media can't pry even unimportant facts out of them.
    Those of us who are not consumed by suspicion or paranoia, can imagine the occasional unpublished mintage coin scenario playing out over several years. It would be beneficial to the hobby and the market while avoiding the chaos.

You ASSUME it would somehow be beneficial to the hobby while avoiding the chaos. It is not at all clear that it does either of those things.

The deep pockets who grade them or run promotions will still line up first. All you may have eliminated is a few high school kids who need a guaranteed flip. But even most of those would make out because the HHL means that dealers will put out pre-sale offers.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flippers are everywhere. Lego has a typewriter coming out next week, doesn't say limited edition, probably made for the next year, and flippers on ebay are already trying to sell them for 50-100% of issue price. Not just limited to coins.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@3stars said:
    Flippers are everywhere. Lego has a typewriter coming out next week, doesn't say limited edition, probably made for the next year, and flippers on ebay are already trying to sell them for 50-100% of issue price. Not just limited to coins.

Nope. All collectibles have them. In fact, the buyer's clubs were late to the coin game. They've been doing sneakers and cards for a generation.

Of course I'm sure they are complaining about them on the sports card and you forums also.

• Options

@rip_f said:

@cagcrisp said:

@rip_f said:

I can show you Time and Time again that I saw where there was inside information from the Mint that was leaked to dealers before coins were pulled from sales or pricing was adjusted...

Buffalo Gold Proofs, commemorative coins that sales were pulled early, Roosevelt First Spouse, 4 coin American Gold Proofs that were sold Prior to a Major price Increase (Not the weekly grid adjustment)...Etc...

• Options

I just want to be able to buy a coin for my collection. I do not care about appreciation value because I do not buy for that. I buy because I like the coin and want to add it to my collection. Period. Nothing more. If the Mint can do that, I'm happy. But, they seem unable to do even that.

I have MANY valuable coins that I never check the value on. That's because I just do not care. I buy the coin simply because I like and want it. If the value goes up or down 1,000%, I couldn't care less.

• Options

@JeffM said:
    I just want to be able to buy a coin for my collection. I do not care about appreciation value because I do not buy for that. I buy because I like the coin and want to add it to my collection. Period. Nothing more. If the Mint can do that, I'm happy. But, they seem unable to do even that.

I have MANY valuable coins that I never check the value on. That's because I just do not care. I buy the coin simply because I like and want it. If the value goes up or down 1,000%, I couldn't care less.

I believe you. Please believe me when I tell you that not every collector feels that way.

Hence my stand and @MasonG statement that there is no fix for everyone. Unlimited mintage would satisfy you and possibly cost the Mint customers, for example.

• Options

Jeff- I tend toward your end of the collector spectrum and at one time I was as adamant in my position as you are now however reading the boards has shown me that yes there are bottom feeders that care nothing about coins at all but are in it for the buck, 💩. However their are others that use the proceeds from one coin to upgrade their collection in their series of choice. So there is a spectrum

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    Jeff- I tend toward your end of the collector spectrum and at one time I was as adamant in my position as you are now however reading the boards has shown me that yes there are bottom feeders that care nothing about coins at all but are in it for the buck, 💩. However their are others that use the proceeds from one coin to upgrade their collection in their series of choice. So there is a spectrum

There are also people who want their collection to hold value which is why a lot of them have up on Mint and Proof sets and most commemorative issues. It's a wide spectrum.

• Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MrBear said:
    I sold about 100,000 of them on eBay for $200 each. Now I'm heading to some country with no extradition treaty with the US, and some heavy suitcases full of linen...

Why stop at 100k? You've got 3 or 4 more months of selling available.

I'm not GREEDY, man! Geez!!!

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, how many people would get upset if someone posted they wanted to trade 100 type 2 ASEs for 100 2021 Morgan dollars?

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    So, how many people would get upset if someone posted they wanted to trade 100 type 2 ASEs for 100 2021 Morgan dollars?

Idc

Do whatever you want. I've got more important issues to worry about.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@morgansforever said:
    Yeah I'm a veteran, so what? I understand it's not commemorating the military, just an idea.

I could get behind something like this.

It wouldn’t work, though.

“Stolen Valor”

It’s easy to fake a DD 214

Surely the Mint has the resource and capacity to verify if you served or not.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

@morgansforever said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@morgansforever said:
    Yeah I'm a veteran, so what? I understand it's not commemorating the military, just an idea.

“Stolen Valor”

I think the Mint does! The only problem it may have would be if 100,000 people registered for the service at exactly the same time.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2021 11:40AM

@morgansforever said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@morgansforever said:

“Stolen Valor”

Yep, they (like many retailers) can use ID.Me to verify anyone's military affiliation.
    I've used it to sign up for many "military" or "veteran" discounts offered by various merchants.

Because the Mint is gov't based...I'm sure, if they could figure it out, that they could use the Defense Manpower database of VA database to verify veteran status and apply it to your profile. Heck, Home Depot and Lowes have my profile connected to my vet status.

As a vet though...I don't believe the Mint should give any group, inc. vets, special privileges, or early access...
    Then again, opinions are like azzholes...everyone has one (unless you got your azz shot off in combat)!

BST references available on request

• Options
    drjayceedrjaycee Posts: 35 ✭✭

@JeffM said:

If I want a coin that will likely be sold out, I use multiple computers each with two screens with at least 2 different browsers on each computer. I have no BOTs and no special tricks. The key seems to be when to refresh after an error and when to try a re-login. Refreshing after what appears to be a server error seems to work best rather than trying to start over. Using this strategy, I have never had any problems getting the coin I want. There is still a lot of frustration, but eventually I have always exceeded. Often times a coin will appear in the cart even if there was a server error so pay attention to the cart!

This discussion has been closed.