Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2021 8:23AM

My prediction for how the Mint is going to now compound this debacle...

Since they did cite the silver supply/planchet issue...which by all indications is an outright lie, since the Mint previously said that they had already secured the raw materials...I predict they will now:

1. Tweak the ordering process around the edges in a less than significant way...ie lower the HHL
    2. Not actually do anything to improve their ordering/computer systems...ie that would cost them money
    3. Actually raise the previously announced prices for the remaining coins!

DA DA...problem solved in the minds of the Mint. But for us...not so much!

• Options

And furthermore...if they actually DID improve their systems...wouldn't we get a taste of that during another hot issue between now and then...like for the redesigned American Eagle?

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 5:14AM

@RichR said:
    And furthermore...if they actually DID improve their systems...wouldn't we get a taste of that during another hot issue between now and then...like for the redesigned American Eagle?

I stumbled on an Ebay seller that has sold 4500 of the redesigned proofs, 2 weeks before they are even available. Another 5 minute sellout coming down the pike.
    FYI, the 2021 type 2 proof ASE is sold out.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

@RichR said:

I stumbled on an Ebay seller that has sold 4500 of the redesigned proofs, 2 weeks before they are even available. Another 5 minute sellout coming down the pike.

Huh?

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 7:28AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@morgansforever said:

@RichR said:

Huh?

He means the enrollment.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no improvements the mint can make that will solve the problem of there being more buyers than coins to be bought.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    There are no improvements the mint can make that will solve the problem of there being more buyers than coins to be bought.

Increase the mintage or mint to demand.

• Options

@JeffM said:

@MasonG said:

The mint can't fix that, they make as many as they're instructed to. If larger mintages are what you want, you need to call your congressman.

• Options

@JeffM said:

@MasonG said:

That is a completely different matter than website improvement which is what the poster was referring to.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

United States Mint Product Satisfaction Survey

Coronavirus has created anxieties, uncertainties, and challenges for so many of us. Even (and perhaps especially) during these challenging times, it is important to continue to conduct research about many different topics. We hope this invitation comes at a moment when you feel you can comfortably participate in our survey, and we want to extend a very special thanks for doing so.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

For this survey, please think about the most recent order that you received from the United States Mint. (Do not think about an order that you have placed but have not yet received.)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

United States Mint Product Satisfaction Survey

"I'm not happy because I keep getting error messages when I try to order limited edition items. Please fix your website so that I am assured of being able to purchase whichever items I'm interested in. Thank you."

• Options
    originalsandmanoriginalsandman Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

It is interesting we havent heard any updates and with the big ASE type 2 release in just couple weeks. Think its going to be a freakin mess!!!

• Options
    edited June 14, 2021 3:21PM
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2021 10:54AM

• Options
    drjayceedrjaycee Posts: 35 ✭✭

@Onastone said:

@drjaycee said:

@JeffM said:
    What makes some people successful in ordering from the Mint and others not? Is it their computers? Internet speed? Bots? Number of people they have buying for them?

If I want a coin that will likely be sold out, I use multiple computers each with two screens with at least 2 different browsers on each computer.

I never have a problem ordering from the mint. Here's a pic of me at my home computer system:

This made me laugh quite a lot. My setup isn't quite this elaborate but the sarcasm was not lost on me!!!!

• Options

I would not take it as sarcasm

low hanging humor fruit

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter I never thought I would ever say this… but a Peace Dollar in MS69 is disappointing. Crack that bad boy out and try for a 70! 😂

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mountain_goat said:
    Just got a message from APMEX:

So does that mean they sold out or didnt actually have stock in the first place (everything on alert)?

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weren't the Mint gonna have a pre-sale of something this month?

• Options
    edited June 14, 2021 1:58PM

@AlexinPA said:
    Weren't the Mint gonna have a pre-sale of something this month?

postponed

• Options

385 auctions using "2021 morgan" search term (same term used for previous reporting)

using restrictive searching -> 341

27 "new listing"

65 ending in under 10 days

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    385 auctions using "2021 morgan" search term (same term used for previous reporting)

using restrictive searching -> 341

27 "new listing"

65 ending in under 10 days

I kind of want the Mint to cancel previous orders just to see what happens on ebay. >:)

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    A technological question.......Recently I have noticed that if I click on an embedded link such as the APMEX notice above, I must leave CU to open it instead of just opening a new window. Is this the new normal, or has my squirrel cage computer developed some sort of settings issue?

Same thing happens to me

• Options

looks like the new normal

links once opened in a new tab.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    A technological question.......Recently I have noticed that if I click on an embedded link such as the APMEX notice above, I must leave CU to open it instead of just opening a new window. Is this the new normal, or has my squirrel cage computer developed some sort of settings issue?

Just right-click on the link and choose 'Open in a new window'.

• Options
    edited June 14, 2021 4:42PM
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rip_f said:

@CaptHenway said:

Tried that. Same thing happens. I thought it might be my browser.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it looks like part of an update on this website, whenever you click on a link you are warned you are leaving this universe.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@rip_f said:

@CaptHenway said:

Yes, you'll still be told that the new window will be leaving CU, but when you're done with the link you can just close it and you're back at the forum window.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rip_f said:

@daltex said:

@rip_f said:

@CaptHenway said:

Yes, you'll still be told that the new window will be leaving CU, but when you're done with the link you can just close it and you're back at the forum window.

That works. Thanks.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Precious Metal Products 21XC MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR CC PRIVY MARK 173,957 6/13/2021
    Precious Metal Products 21XD MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR O PRIVY MARK 173,871 6/13/2021

• Options

@92vette said:
    Precious Metal Products 21XC MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR CC PRIVY MARK 173,957 6/13/2021
    Precious Metal Products 21XD MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR O PRIVY MARK 173,871 6/13/2021

A few cancelations... and still 4 months to go.

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    Has the mint ever explained why they found it necessary to sell these in the spring when they knew they wouldn’t deliver until the fall ? Why not wait until the fall.

Perhaps beginning in July, the Mint will have enough releases to keep them busy, and the May/June period was relatively calm.

Or, it could simply be that the Mint has not had enough controversy and criticism and desired more. If this is the case, they have been wildly successful.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    Why not wait until the fall.

It’s like asking an ant why they have 6 legs.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2021 3:53PM

[It’s like asking an ant why they have 6 legs.]

...or a cockroach!

• Options
    edited June 15, 2021 3:54PM

But seriously...that is an excellent point...why sell these in May/June if you're not ready to ship until October/November?

And shouldn't production/staffing at the Mint be increasing as we emerge from lockdown?

I mean, c'mon...that is a ridiculous, and unnecessary, gap between ordering and delivery...even if that was stated at the beginning of this circus.

• Options

@jessewvu said:

@JimTyler said:
    Why not wait until the fall.

It’s like asking an ant why they have 6 legs.

Keep in mind, there was a "pre-order" window which closed on June 7th. From their website.

"Pre-ordering window starts May 24 at noon and closes on June 7 at 3pm ET or until inventory depleted"

It seems to me that these should have been made permanently unavailable on June 7th. And, maybe they were.

If the purpose of the pre-ordering window was to determine how many to strike, then it only makes sense to offer them in advance of striking. This is what they did.

• Options

i think they under estimated how many would be ordered and were doing a pre-strike pre-sale

• Options
    edited June 15, 2021 3:58PM

[If the purpose of the pre-ordering window was to determine how many to strike, then it only makes sense to offer them in advance of striking. This is what they did.]

But let's just say that orders for 50,000 coins are now cancelled (very unlikely)...but let's just say...are cancelled before striking. Would they only then strike 125,000? Because wow...not that would really be a Morgan rarity!

In fact, if they don't strike all 175,000...and sell all of them...every cancellation is making "our" remaining coins even more "rare".

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    i think they under estimated how many would be ordered and were doing a pre-strike pre-sale

I agree. That might mean that the flippers have actually increased the mintage of these and will make these more available down the road than they otherwise would be....for those patient enough to wait.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think they underestimated anything. They're making just enough to create enough controversy and free pub to put more eyes on the next issues. This is an ongoing tactic. Otherwise they'd have no mintage limits and just either strike to demand or strike until XX date.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

10 “new listing”

49 ending in under 10 days

• Options
    alangloialangloi Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

The American Eagle sale, slated for July 1st, will surely test the Mint's website. Lets hope they have made improvements by then.

• Options

283 auctions

15 “new listing”

44 ending in under 7 days

This discussion has been closed.