Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Did anyone here attend this auction in Delaware? Mostly unopened

I just saw this posted on Facebook. Someone auctioned off one heck of an unopened collection. Just guessing I would say that the total sales were around $1,000,000.

https://seashorehwyaac.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

Comments

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insane. I didn't even hear about it. $17k for a 1969 wax box with Clemente, Bench and Aaron showing is an absolute steal. In fact, if the packs aren't tampered with, there were many deals had there. Who in their right mind would use an auction house like that to auction those types of items??

Actually as I look at more photos of the different boxes, I have my doubts on their authenticity.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

from what i recall this was found possibly 2 years ago. shopped around for various deals, slightly cherry picked but initially it was a couple storage trailers and a basement. quite a bit of water damaged and molded stuff. cant blanket the entire find as legit, but pretty sure most of it was/is.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

Why would you not drive all this stuff to Steve first?

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 4:41AM

some great prices...wish i knew about it

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

I had to stop scrolling through the pages as those hammer prices were ruining my morning. If this product was undamaged and legit the seller should feel a whole lot worse than me.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭

Gaspipe26 (Bob) was ALL over it....
    And he is driving his booty to Steve.

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    Actually as I look at more photos of the different boxes, I have my doubts on their authenticity.

Is it easy to fake the cello boxes and fun bags?

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, fun bags can be fake

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

My guess is a very serious collector....and I mean very serious collector must have passed away and the family used Rocky and Bullwinkles Auction House because they knew next to nothing and didn't want to deal with it. That was an incredible amount of boxes and packs. I'm stunned scrolling through the items. OMG. Whatever they made....they lost more than a million dollars without a doubt. Auction house lost a lot too. Did not advertise that incredible stuff.

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Lessons learned here for folks with sports collectibles and estate planning and POCs. I have a modest collection and I have already told my wife who to contact should something happen to me. Man, how can you not contact Steve Hart here?

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh wow! (3) 79/80 OPC Hockey boxes for $27,500/box. Whoever bought those, I will give you double right now. Nice score!

• waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Oh wow! (3) 79/80 OPC Hockey boxes for $27,500/box. Whoever bought those, I will give you double right now. Nice score!

https://seashorehwyaac.com/product/lot-0552-1979-80-opc-hockey-unopened-wax-box-48-packsgretzky-rc-year/?v=7516fd43adaa

Plus a large cache of Gretzky 2nd year boxes for $5k per box :o

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:

Exactly. And the consignor knew about BBCE authentication from my understanding.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

1972 BK and 1971 Bk packs dont look good. But hard to tell with so few pics. Didnt look to deep into the others. But Id guess not all are legit as others have stated.

@grote15 said:

@dontippet said:

Exactly. And the consignor knew about BBCE authentication from my understanding.

Of course they did. Obviously, one would check ebay results for setting up this auction, and if they didn't know about BBCE, they would have after doing a few searches of unopened boxes.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

I think this will make bigger news when all of the buyers start finding out these items are not authentic.

>

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I admit I don't know unopened as well as many on this board. But if that stuff was resealed, then someone had a TON of impeccable wrappers and boxes, and a lot of time on their hands. I mean the 74-78 boxes were blazers. Packs looked completely untouched to me. I saw an 81 Montana rack pack which had the Montana in a different cell than normal (but I've seen GAI grade some in this same cell) and the Montana looked Mint and crisp. Well centered card. Why put that good of a card in if its a reseal ? Also, TONS of odd stuff in there that isn't worth the time to reseal like 3's company and Buck Rogers boxes. I wish I had known about it, like many others I would've been willing to take the risk at some of those prices. AMAZING stuff in that auction.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
    edited April 28, 2021 10:23AM

He could have bought them from not reliable sources Over decades of time.
    Why put a mint card showing on top. Well it will sell for more of course.

Also think they literally left $1,000,000 on the table by not spending 60,000 to have the stuff okayed
    And a lot of stuff went for lower than bbce buy price. Why not just sell to bbce?? Hmm

@gemint said:
    Insane. I didn't even hear about it. $17k for a 1969 wax box with Clemente, Bench and Aaron showing is an absolute steal. In fact, if the packs aren't tampered with, there were many deals had there. Who in their right mind would use an auction house like that to auction those types of items??

He also had 3 full sets and many 69 singles. There was a really sharp Mantle and Reggie rc that sold for very low prices.

I'd also buy this for 210 any day...
    https://seashorehwyaac.com/product/lot-1244-1969-topps-reggie-jackson-260-rc-nm/?v=7516fd43adaa

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:

@handyman said:
    1972 BK and 1971 Bk packs dont look good. But hard to tell with so few pics. Didnt look to deep into the others. But Id guess not all are legit as others have stated.

Yes, I was looking at some of the older baseball packs and some of the fold lines don't look right. It's hard to tell from the pictures though. Not many of the pack edges are shown.

edited April 28, 2021 2:01PM

1969 box looks no good as well.
    Also 1970 bb no good
    Don’t like the 1974 bb as well. Seems to be a lot of not good high dollar stuff

It looks like gaspipe bought a lot of it. He's getting them authenticated by BBCE, so we'll soon find out if it's all good.

Did they guarantee the stuff and accept returns?

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This looks rough.

I've never handled any 86F BKB - not excited with the way this pack looks and there's a mess of them that sold like this.

Anyone familiar with these packs?

Mike
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 2:34PM

^ thats some of that water damage i was speaking of earlier.

are raks impermeable?

What a shame. The rack packs might be okay though...assuming there are no pinholes in the plastic.

I’m guessing the original owner of the collection bought lower priced product over time maybe.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

That water damage is upsetting. I see pics of peoples collections all the time with material on the floor, sometime downstairs in their man caves. >:)

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@handyman said:
    I’m guessing the original owner of the collection bought lower priced product over time maybe.

Timing can very much be your friend.

As I've said - early purchases around 1992-4 make all the difference.

I paid the following just as an example - not bragging or complaining - just for reference...

1979 Topps BB Vending case - 1992 - $2800

1979 Topps BB (3) Rack box case - 1993 - $900

1976 OPC BB wax box - 1994 - $700

1977 OPC BB wax box - 1994 - $400

1979 Topps BB wax box (2) - 1993 - $250 per

1993 Topps Finest BKB - 1993 - $135

1982 Topps BB vending case - 1994 - $1200

1985 Topps BB vending case - $450

These are just examples - most of this stuff came from the BBCardKid - Mark Murphy, Mr Mint e.g.

And even some of the more recent purchases may pay off...

A few yrs ago, many of us picked up a 80T wax box FASC for around 900 bucks from a forum rip? I've seen these go for like 8K or even more - I think BBCE has a box for 10K and it's not FASC.

How about the 75T mini wax packs - I purchased 5 packs sealed with the BBCE logo wrap and a sticker stating FASC for like 60 or 80 bucks a pack - now? Not sure but probably somewhere in the 200 - 250 a pack range?

Is there room for appreciation on new purchases? I'd say for some stuff - definitely yes.

I paid like 80 or 90 bucks for a few boxes of 92TSC Ser II BSK - now? 5 or 600?

Mike

Yeah but I’m saying he might have bought things at half that and were not from bbce or Mark Murphy in the 90s. But still bought in the 90s.

@handyman said:
    Yeah but I’m saying he might have bought things at half that and were not from bbce or Mark Murphy in the 90s. But still bought in the 90s.

Sure that's quite possible?

What I paid back then was the "going" price for unopened.

Am I to infer that if bought cheaper, he might have bought some questionable stuff also?

Mike
  • coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 8:26AM

I would've gone broke

• DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

There’s mega deep pockets out there looking for true collectible stuff, which much of this is. Look at the TREX skeleton that sold for $32 million. Honestly if I was a billionaire I’d want that thing badly...unreal cool.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/t-rex-sold-318-million-and-paleontologists-are-worried-180976071/

As a card collector who jumped in the game way too late to afford anything unopened pre late 1970’s, unopened vintage is also off the charts cool and I can’t imagine there aren’t deep pocket people who feel the same.

Which begs the question everyone else has been asking...why not take to BBCE and get the stuff authenticated, giving those deep pockets peace of mind?

Makes little sense.

I'd bet very little of it if any made it to collectors. If the stuff is real I'm betting it will end up wrapped and flipped. So eventually collectors will get their chance to pay top dollar for it. Unfortunately for the seller he/she paid the wrong middle man and others will capitalize on the collection as much or more than the actual seller did.

Collecting:

Welp, I'm glad I didn't know about this auction early enough to bid.

@gemint said:
    Welp, I'm glad I didn't know about this auction early enough to bid.

How come ? Some stuff end up being questionable ?

Collecting:

which stuff. What have you heard?

@gemint said:
    Yes.

That's too bad. Like Tim said above "All that glitters is not gold." We all dream of finding a hoard like that, that is all legit.

Collecting:

Ouch

That’s a million dollar money grab

@handyman said:
    That’s a million dollar money grab

I wouldn't want to be the person who tried to pull off that scheme. Six figure interstate fraud won't work out well for them.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how the auction house will handle this. If they don't issue refunds I can see lots of law suits coming their way

"Returns – ALL SALES ARE FINAL. Bidder acknowledges and agrees that the items are auctioned and sold without warranties or guarantees. You must contact us by phone or email within 24 hours of receiving your package if there is a problem with your order."