Did anyone here attend this auction in Delaware? Mostly unopened

Comments

• Options
    DgofwinterDgofwinter Posts: 66 ✭✭

Yup and yup

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    Are you returning the Fun bag that sold as well?

gaspipe sold a fun bag?

if so, has he reached out to that individual to express what has been conveyed and provide them w/ a return label free of charge?

hopefully so and you're not leaving them holding the bag. fun pun definitely intended.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 10:45AM

An expensive one too. 1980 bk fun bag. I think 7k is what he sold it for

• Options

Sorry 6,000 sold April 3rd

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    Sorry 6,000 sold April 3rd

The auction with all these boxes didn't end until April 25th

• Options

I’m wrong again. On my phone. Sorry sold April 30th forgot the 0

• Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

Anyone who may have bought items , the auctioneer has stopped shipping and is refunding. If you already received your items, I would call and request a refund but wouldn’t wait

• Options

So are you letting your buyers decide if they are legit or are you contacting them over the fun bag?

• Options

@gaspipe26 said:
    Anyone who may have bought items , the auctioneer has stopped shipping and is refunding. If you already received your items, I would call and request a refund but wouldn’t wait

can you say the same?

• Options

@handyman said:
    So are you letting your buyers decide if they are legit or are you contacting them over the fun bag?

how much was made from the sale? anyone know that off the rip?

• Options

3500 profit

• Options

@handyman said:
    3500 profit

wow.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Lol!!

PackManInNC
  • Options

Here is the sales data I pulled from the site in case the AH pulls the site down. I did not save images.

• Options
    SmithAuctionCoSmithAuctionCo Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

@baz518 said:
    So I assume the consignor of these items is under FBI scrutiny at this point? Isn't it illegal to sell known fraudulent items across state lines... especially a million+ dollars worth? Did this guy have a huge inventory and searched/resealed it all before consigning or are the wrappers/boxes suspect as well??

All the consignor would have to do is say "we didn't know exactly what the items were, so we consigned them to an auction company and relied upon their expertise".

And if the auction company made no guarentees as to authenticity, or was selling all items "as is", they would technically be free from legal liability.

It would be very tricky to prove an intent to commit fraud, unless it was found out that the auction company was made aware of the "bad" items before the auction, and did nothing about it.

No matter what, the auction company made many bad decisions handling the auction.

• Options

Denying someone who can authenticate the items seems to be a big issue whoever decided that. Consignor or auctioneer. SOmeone made the call

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

methinks the next time a collector eschews plausible deniability and admits to being a sack will be the very first time

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 2:59PM

Just for the record, this was Steve's direct quote when he reached out to me knowing I had been interested in purchasing boxes if he acquired any from this auction. Initially he told me about how he was prevented from inspecting or bidding on anything from the auction and therefore did not acquire anything from it. This was a follow up to warn me away from buying anything else from the auction...

"Someone who won 10 boxes of unopened 1974 through 1980 just flew in to have me authenticate. All resealed garbage. Had an assortment of years and sports. All bad. Whoever did this scheme did a good job at resealing them too. But none-the-less......all bad. If you know anyone who bid and won, you may want to relay this to them."

No doubts about his position on the material. The only good thing he had to say about it was in a follow up message where he said these 10 were resealed better than the 18 he inspected a few days later from another buyer. Anyone who is considering buying anything from the auction hoping some of it is good should consider this:

• 0-28 boxes passed authentication
    • Obvious issues with the tape on boxes/cases as posted earlier in this thread
    • Authenticators had been prohibited from inspecting the inventory before sale or bidding on it during the auction
  • Options

0-28

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    Denying someone who can authenticate the items seems to be a big issue whoever decided that. Consignor or auctioneer. SOmeone made the call

There’s apparently two sides to that story but we haven’t heard the second side yet

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 2:33PM

@handyman said:
    3500 profit

no wonder its crickets.

can only imagine booking flights, sitting thru auctions in anticipation, the feeling of “score”, feeling all giddy w loot preciously packed in the overhead bin, landing, heading straight to the truck, securing said “score”, then speeding to steve while singing loudly to tom petty’s “free fallin” playing on the radio. pull in, park, unloading said “score” again, sitting there, nervous as all get out and then “BAM”. the news of death. then that god awful long drive home. then talking self into still selling a “fun bag”.

probably a 35 hundred bill right there.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@handyman said:
    3500 profit

no wonder its crickets.

can only imagine booking flights, sitting thru auctions in anticipation, the feeling of “score”, feeling all giddy w loot preciously packed in the overhead bin, landing, heading straight to the truck, securing said “score”, then speeding to steve while singing loudly to tom petty’s “free fallin” playing on the radio. pull in, park, unloading said “score” again, sitting there, nervous as all get out and then “BAM”. the news of death. then that god awful long drive home. then talking self into still selling a “fun bag”.

I feel like I was there

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@handyman said:
    0-28

Thanks. Fixed it. My maths aren't done good on a Friday afternoon. :)

• Options

no wonder its crickets.

You left out the part where he starts a thread on the B/S/T forum (that he has since deleted) right after he wins bragging about his secret Krusty the clown/Sideshow Bob auction house winnings and offering a presale on them.

• Options

He even put in the Ebay listings which offered no return as well. 1973 1st series "Wrap it and make some money"

• Options

@Dgofwinter

@handyman said:
    He even put in the Ebay listings which offered no return as well. 1973 1st series "Wrap it and make some money"

and what was his haul from that place? 10 73 boxes, 1 fun bag, and some hockey?

i can safely and proudly state that i've never subbed a bonk box for wrapping. what's steve charge on all this? i know the rate for good boxes, which includes wrapping obviously. but what's the fee if the boxes are bad?

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:

If that’s true that would be really, really terrible of him to do.

• Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

Wow, glad I found this post. I reached out on May 5 & asked if gaspipe would be willing to ship the box to BBCE if I purchased it. See response below. Unbelievable. Never get cheated.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 3:41PM

prosecution rests.

eta: i count 5, possibly 6 lies in that one short response. but let's just say 5. that's plenty as is.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    @Dgofwinter

@handyman said:

and what was his haul from that place? 10 73 boxes, 1 fun bag, and some hockey?

i can safely and proudly state that i've never subbed a bonk box for wrapping. what's steve charge on all this? i know the rate for good boxes, which includes wrapping obviously. but what's the fee if the boxes are bad?

Though many people say that he should, Steve does not charge any fee at all if the box does not pass authentication. I can't think of anyone else in this hobby who would not charge for his time in a case like that.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@handyman said:
    3500 profit

no wonder its crickets.

Pretty sure it’d be “Runnin’ Down A Dream” playing but otherwise, yeah.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

That eBay message is as criminal as it gets. With all this evidence we may never (hopefully) hear from him again.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Nothing more to say here. Seller knew he had garbage and still willing to sell it on ebay.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 4:09PM

@graygator said:

@blurryface said:

@handyman said:
    3500 profit

no wonder its crickets.

good call! but now you got me thinking he had the "greatest hits" album in the cd player. and the track listing went perfect w this entire debacle:

1. the waiting is the hardest part

2. i need to know

3. you wreck me

4. don't do me like that

5. even the losers

6. while my guitar gently weeps

7. crawling back to you

8. i won't back down

bonus tracks:

1. time to move on
    2. don't come around here no more
  • Options

@blurryface said:

@graygator said:

@blurryface said:

@handyman said:
    3500 profit

no wonder its crickets.

good call! but now you got me thinking he had the "greatest hits" album in the cd player. and the track listing went perfect w this entire debacle:

1. the waiting is the hardest part

2. i need to know

3. you wreck me

4. don't do me like that

5. even the losers

6. while my guitar gently weeps

7. crawling back to you

8. i won't back down

bonus tracks:

1. time to move on
    2. don't come around here no more

I see you left " You don't have to live like a refugee" off the list. LOL

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man that is a leap of faith going from "had reservations" to these are "resealed garbage". What a bobsled ride to hell

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Francart said:
    Wow, glad I found this post. I reached out on May 5 & asked if gaspipe would be willing to ship the box to BBCE if I purchased it. See response below. Unbelievable. Never get cheated.

Oy vey.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 8:21PM

That exchange is damning. However I doubt it will hurt gaspipe. Similar evidence came to light on emails from PWCC asking a consigner to bid on their own card. They also made a video talking about trimming er as they call it “conservation” of cards and how great that is for the hobby. Very few collectors have chosen to boycott PWCC and this story was published all over the place including many newspapers and a well done piece in The Athletic. So far only those who read this thread are aware of what happened.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    That exchange is damning. However I doubt it will hurt gaspipe. Similar evidence came to light on emails from PWCC asking a consigner to bid on their own card. They also made a video talking about trimming er as they call it “conservation” of cards and how great that is for the hobby. Very few collectors have chosen to boycott PWCC and this story was published all over the place including many newspapers and a well done piece in The Athletic. So far only those who read this thread are aware of what happened.

I totally hate this statement; but I agree. Gaspipe could probably list some PSA 8s of 1960s HOFs and it would be a feeding frenzy for Great Whites on the BST forum. I think he's a SNAKE. In a business setting involving lots of money, how does one get their integrity back?? To me it really can't be done. To much trust with buying and selling cards and he is obviously a SNAKE.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

At least we didn't get an illness in the family excuse and his internet has been down for 17 days excuse. Or he's been in the hospital for the last 3 weeks

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

🤔

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

There are always snakes among us... sometimes it takes years to flush them out.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long before the well crafted fake apology? That seems like the likely next step in the playbook.

• Options
    gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

@gaspipe26 said:

I hope the auctioneer requires you to return 100% of what you purchased before any refund is issued.

How much did it sale for is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I've ever heard.

• Options
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

User Not Found
    The page you were looking for could not be found.

oops, nevermind

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

the fact that this dude is still inhaling the air around here is rather remarkable i'd say

one would think that setting up shop across the street and attempting to fleece members to the tune of five figures would be grounds for being punted into the mesosphere

• Options

@UFFDAH said:
    The whole thing is a shitshow. Someone please destroy this junk and spare collectors from being taken advantage off.

Or open the packs and build some collector grade VG-EX sets.

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

gaspipe should screenshot the messages he sent to the buyers of his garbage informing them that they are not authentic. And then post the screenshots here.