Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Did anyone here attend this auction in Delaware? Mostly unopened

Comments

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@SCS_1 said:
    Please leave GASPIPE alone. If it wasn't for him rushing his items to be authenticated this mess would have been MUCH WORSE than it already is. I was a buyer of this auction and if it wasn't for Gaspipe I would have never been able to get my refund. I'm thankful for him and this hobby needs more GOOD guys. Gaspipe explained himself and now we need to focus on these items being opened or destroyed and spreading awareness on these items. This was a professional job and had been planned for many years. I don't get duped often but these items passed my tests as well. Everyone be good, be well and God Bless.

I needed this. I was in a crowd of people and I basically started to laugh out loud. They thought I was crazy. The drama over baseball cards is amazing. For Gaspipe to be the true victim he would need Johnny Cochran to defend him. OMG I have seen it all now. Gaspipe the true victim in all of this. Blurryface can apologize on behalf of all of us. I'm busy at the moment. LOL.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@SCS_1 said:
    Please leave GASPIPE alone. If it wasn't for him rushing his items to be authenticated this mess would have been MUCH WORSE than it already is. I was a buyer of this auction and if it wasn't for Gaspipe I would have never been able to get my refund. I'm thankful for him and this hobby needs more GOOD guys. Gaspipe explained himself and now we need to focus on these items being opened or destroyed and spreading awareness on these items. This was a professional job and had been planned for many years. I don't get duped often but these items passed my tests as well. Everyone be good, be well and God Bless.

I needed this. I was in a crowd of people and I basically started to laugh out loud. They thought I was crazy. The drama over baseball cards is amazing. For Gaspipe to be the true victim he would need Johnny Cochran to defend him. OMG I have seen it all now. Gaspipe the true victim in all of this. Blurryface can apologize on behalf of all of us. I'm busy at the moment. LOL.

"What else should I write?
    I don't have the right
    What else should I be?
    All apologies"

• Options
    DgofwinterDgofwinter Posts: 66 ✭✭

“I wish I was like you
    Easily amused
    Find my nest of salt
    Everything is my fault
    I’ll take all the blame”

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

sometimes this place is like a soap opera.

"Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives..."

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I generally keep my comments to myself. Bottom line Fraud is Fraud. Gaspipe may have been a victim at first, then he became whatever the opposite of victim is. I guess a Fraudster, himself.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the record is for LOLs on a users first post. This thread continues to be historical.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Wasn't there a post: "Signed, Epstein's Mother"?
    I guess it went poof.

Whatever happened here, it most likely took months, perhaps years to perpetrate.

Part of me thought about what may have been the best visual threads ever on this board. It was a guy that had opened late 60's, early 70's, baseball and football - pristine, with wrappers and boxes put into perfect bricks. It was photographed beautifully. The impression was that the material had been opened when issued and meticulously preserved. The photos looked as though someone had gotten a time machine, gone to Woolworth's and bought out everything they had.

I kept thinking that someone nefarious had found a similar collection and began resealing the bulk of it. Though the impression of the volume made me think that some of it must have been unopened and unsearched.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgebailey2 said:
    I guess it went poof.

Whatever happened here, it most likely took months, perhaps years to perpetrate.

Part of me thought about what may have been the best visual threads ever on this board. It was a guy that had opened late 60's, early 70's, baseball and football - pristine, with wrappers and boxes put into perfect bricks. It was photographed beautifully. The impression was that the material had been opened when issued and meticulously preserved. The photos looked as though someone had gotten a time machine, gone to Woolworth's and bought out everything they had.

I kept thinking that someone nefarious had found a similar collection and began resealing the bulk of it. Though the impression of the volume made me think that some of it must have been unopened and unsearched.

Yes, that stash would have been a perfect haul for a fraudster. Fortunately the owner of those boxes is honest and didn't reseal them to pass them off as unopened. In fact, I purchased several series' of cards from that collection. I also bought a few empty boxes and a wrapper from a few of the years for my collection (1969 and 1970 if memory serves me correct). I wasn't buying football at the time but I wish I had picked up some of those as well.

• Options

@georgebailey2 said:
    I guess it went poof.

are there any images from this collection? I would love to see them.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gaspipe should have just fell on his sword and said I messed up royally but we got the opposite.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@craig44 said:

@georgebailey2 said:
    I guess it went poof.

are there any images from this collection? I would love to see them.

Unfortunately, the original thread was taken down in the wake of some controversy surrounding the sale of some of the items from this collection. But I did find a few pics in other threads....

OMG, I lost consciousness again.

Thanks. While those photos are awesome, the ones where he had piled bricks and star cards displayed..........

Sorry, it happened again. It was just amazing. He must have had either a flux capacitor, a quantum tunnel or a hot tub. The stuff hobby dreams are made of.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgebailey2

I’m pretty sure none of it is on the forum anymore. I searched by his user ID through all his threads and didn’t see it.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@craig44 said:

Unfortunately, the original thread was taken down in the wake of some controversy surrounding the sale of some of the items from this collection. But I did find a few pics in other threads....

Well, that explains why I'm not able to find the thread through searching the archive posts. LOL

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgebailey2 said:
    I guess it went poof.

Doh that was my Zinger!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@georgebailey2 said:
    I guess it went poof.

Doh that was my Zinger!

Yep. I dinged it. I'm still trying to keep this thread to pertinent info only, though it's a struggle.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:

@Cakes said:

@georgebailey2 said:
    I guess it went poof.

Doh that was my Zinger!

Yep. I dinged it. I'm still trying to keep this thread to pertinent info only, though it's a struggle.

I make amends and I agree with what you are trying to do.

It was hard to resist, and it was funny :D

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2021 12:24PM

Those pics deserve a 2fer

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    I wonder what the record is for LOLs on a users first post. This thread continues to be historical.

16 is a pretty notable record.

(not trying to be funny, posting to pile on in any sort or ruffle any feathers)

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's unfortunate that we seemingly have the ability to contact 4 major buyers from this lot and yet weren't able to access any pertinent images that could have been used for archival/ID purposes. I mean, if you're getting your return, why not do the hobby a solid and document the garbage to save others down the line?

Arthur

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    It's unfortunate that we seemingly have the ability to contact 4 major buyers from this lot and yet weren't able to access any pertinent images that could have been used for archival/ID purposes. I mean, if you're getting your return, why not do the hobby a solid and document the garbage to save others down the line?

Arthur

I been thinking along the same lines. This stuff is being returned. I'm guessing the owner has a ton into this scam. No doubt it will be trickled into the hobby. Be aware. There is a ton of this stuff and more like it.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2021 1:58PM

Simple.
    Only buy unopened BBCE.
    Tell your friends.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Simple.
    Only buy unopened BBCE.
    Tell your friends.

I wonder what would prevent this unscrupulous seller from getting some BBCE cellophane and wrapping some boxes? I don’t see that as being extremely foolproof either.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

Well, I would doubt anyone can replicate the tape, stickers and handwriting of BBCE

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all due respect, that would be incredibly easy to duplicate. At least well enough to get by the average buyer, on mid tier product.

• Options

@Ahmanfan said:

@balco758 said:
    Simple.
    Only buy unopened BBCE.
    Tell your friends.

I wonder what would prevent this unscrupulous seller from getting some BBCE cellophane and wrapping some boxes? I don’t see that as being extremely foolproof either.

Let's not pile things on this person that have not been done.

This is a time for just facts. Seemingly everything to this point has been hashed out extensively. If new facts come into play, by all means post them. But please don't muddy the waters with speculation.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:

@Ahmanfan said:

@balco758 said:
    Simple.
    Only buy unopened BBCE.
    Tell your friends.

This is a time for just facts. Seemingly everything to this point has been hashed out extensively. If new facts come into play, by all means post them. But please don't muddy the waters with speculation.

Todd, this is a very important thread that unfortunately is not a sticky that will remain at the top of the forum. Without a post here and there (but obviously no piling on) how else can it be saved from sinking to the depths of the CU thread basement?

• Options

@nam812 said:

@AFLfan said:

@Ahmanfan said:

@balco758 said:
    Simple.
    Only buy unopened BBCE.
    Tell your friends.

Todd, this is a very important thread that unfortunately is not a sticky that will remain at the top of the forum. Without a post here and there (but obviously no piling on) how else can it be saved from sinking to the depths of the CU thread basement?

I agree. My comment was about the speculation of faked authentication wrappings. But solid discussion is still encouraged.

• Options

Put me on the record of being very worried that the consignor of these items will try to offload them elsewhere after they get them all back from the auction house. I don't have enough faith in humanity that they'll all of the sudden get a conscience and open the packs and sell the contents on their after market merits.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or GET IT WRAPPED AND MAKE SOME MONEY!!
    I feel bad that Steve will have to waste his honest time on this product time after time.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

A simple Tweet from Steve warning the uncertainty of the authentication he is seeing in the product in this auction would do a huge service to the hobby and promote the awareness than this thread ever will. Not that I'm trying to advise what Steve should do.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

@Gansetttime said:

A simple Tweet from Steve warning the uncertainty of the authentication he is seeing in the product in this auction would do a huge service to the hobby and promote the awareness than this thread ever will. Not that I'm trying to advise what Steve should do.

I agree, but he will see this stuff off and on for 10 years, or longer.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

Certainly, the more people that read this thread and become aware of this, the more potential victims down the line gets reduced. But what we really need are images of the products and a list of what was put up for auction. Those simple facts alone will help future potential buyers when they circle back to this thread.

I implore anyone that has any images of any of this product, no matter how insignificant you may think they are, to please post them here in this thread. If you don't know how to post pictures feel free to send me a private message and I can post them either on your behalf or completely anonymously, if you wish to remain so. No questions asked.

I have no interest in lighting torches or sharpening my pitchfork, I only want to archive data that will aid future collectors. If anyone has any information about these lots, feel free to post it in this thread. I never even saw the auction so I know nothing.

Thanks!

Arthur

• Options
    edited May 13, 2021 11:31PM

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Constructive dialogue

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options

I also think starting a list with pictures if possible would be very helpful to unopened collectors to at least know which product needs an extra level of scrutiny.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

"Gee, I just spent $400,000 on resealed boxes of sports cards. Please let me send you some pictures of them so that you will not buy them from me."

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arthur is the best.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

It is actually scary to see those pictures.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deceivingly good looking...that is scary!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Arthur, I did not know that they had been returned. Thanks for the info. and the pictures.

• Options

The great thing about these, or any, pictures of this group of bad material is that if there's one thing we've learned in the hobby in the past few years it's never doubt the ability of a forensic online detective to take just a little bit of seemingly useless information and be able to make a completely damning case out of it.

I know some people might look at those pics and think "What's the point?" but every piece of evidence is a brick. Just because we might not be able to see the value in it doesn't mean someone else who is extraordinarily talented at this doesn't.

So, again, I implore anyone with ANY images of ANY product from this auction to please share them here or pass them along to me and I'll do it for you anonymously. And thanks again to our friend of the board that sent the above pics.

Arthur

• Options
    tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Not sure if these were shared already or not. eBay images from this auction.

• Options
    Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    The great thing about these, or any, pictures of this group of bad material is that if there's one thing we've learned in the hobby in the past few years it's never doubt the ability of a forensic online detective to take just a little bit of seemingly useless information and be able to make a completely damning case out of it.

I know some people might look at those pics and think "What's the point?" but every piece of evidence is a brick. Just because we might not be able to see the value in it doesn't mean someone else who is extraordinarily talented at this doesn't.

So, again, I implore anyone with ANY images of ANY product from this auction to please share them here or pass them along to me and I'll do it for you anonymously. And thanks again to our friend of the board that sent the above pics.

Arthur

Arthur...I clicked on the link at the beginning of this post and it looks like all the images are still up on the Auction's site.

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

@Webb63 said:

Arthur...I clicked on the link at the beginning of this post and it looks like all the images are still up on the Auction's site.

Yup, saved a few and if you right click and open in a new tab on the images below you can see up close as well.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2021 9:31AM

Wow just caught wind and read this entire thread. Thankfully it still here and hopefully it stays. What a treasure trove of DON'T DO's in here and should be used as a training manual for all unopened collectors new or old forevermore. The NTSB usually remarks when a major aircraft crash happens that there was multiple unfortunate glaring mistakes and or system failures that lead to disaster. I think we see that here.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    PSA9sPSA9s Posts: 22 ✭✭

There is one big elephant left in this room. Who was the consignor? Exposing that a-hole would go a long ways to mitigating future fraud. Seashore Auctions certainly looks complicit, and possibly the co-conspirator of this sh** show. They incorporated in late December, a few months before the auction. Their next auction is not until August 21, almost 4 months later. Their entire business looks like a Trojan Horse to deceive the public, based solely on unloading all of that crap unopened. They're previewing a whole 3 consignments, Wow. Time will tell, but my guess is this company is non-existent within a few months. Who wants to place a bet there will be no "next auction".

It's not lost on me that they incorporated in Delaware. A state that bestows the highest amount of protection of personal assets and liability for registered businesses. They even have their own court system with judges proficient in corporate law, while providing anonymity/privacy of directors and owners on the LLC filing forms. Good luck finding those clowns.

I'll go as far to speculate that the auction house owners, the consignor, and the crap unopened, all originated outside of Delaware. The entire process smells really bad.

• Options

@Webb63 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Do you mind providing a link? I went to their website but couldn't find any info on this auction.

Arthur

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

I assume this is from the auction:

https://seashorehwyaac.com/product/lot-0072-1980-81-topps-basketball-unopened-wax-box-36-packs-2/?v=7516fd43adaa

And I guess I'm blind but if you look to the right or left you can see an image that if you hover over it, it will expand and you can click on it and go to the next sold page.

Getting old because I don't know how I missed that.