Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Did anyone here attend this auction in Delaware? Mostly unopened

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    No proof. But I only looked at the first case I pulled up and it was a 1987 Traded case.https://seashorehwyaac.com/product/lot-0629-1987-topps-traded-baseball-case-100-sets/?v=7516fd43adaa

Tape does not match this one on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184699120732?hash=item2b00ecec5c:g:jX0AAOSwutRgRRMt

They look like 2 different types of tape. The one on ebay is not just vertical lines(the lines in the tape itself) but also horizontal. The one from the auction house is only vertical. Also looks like new tape(similar but not topps issue) replaced the old tape.

Only one I looked at but it gives me question. Im guessing many are in question just after looking at the first one that came up.

Maybe someone more experienced can chime in.

Good point. That is not factory tape and you can see where the old tape residue doesnt match up with the new tape they put down.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 1:55PM

New game for this auction is find something 100% factory sealed. Go
    Tally is 0 so far.

• Options
    DgofwinterDgofwinter Posts: 66 ✭✭

Looks like he ended the listings. Hopefully not for a private sale. One has to believe he is reading this thread and did the right thing by taking them off eBay.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

So I assume the consignor of these items is under FBI scrutiny at this point? Isn't it illegal to sell known fraudulent items across state lines... especially a million+ dollars worth? Did this guy have a huge inventory and searched/resealed it all before consigning or are the wrappers/boxes suspect as well??

• Options
    beachbumcollectingbeachbumcollecting Posts: 461 ✭✭✭

@Griffins said:
    Word is he's getting a refund. I'm really disappointed that he listed them after he was told they were bad, I vouched for him based on transactions here 20 years ago, guess things change.

Nam, it wasn't only Muggyman that dumped everything after getting advance notice of all those bad cellos, a few others did the same.

same , I didn't want to jump the gun but when he relisted them again today it was clear he knew what he was doing

the thing is I am sure a lot of this stuff went to other people who are not following and will not get refunds. They will probably put it away , maybe send it out on consignment somewhere else down the road unknowing of what they have. this crap will be circulating for a while. much like the early 70's grocery cellos and the 58 cellos . I haven't seen the 58's in a while but the grocery cellos still pop up pretty often :(

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:

@Griffins said:
    Word is he's getting a refund. I'm really disappointed that he listed them after he was told they were bad, I vouched for him based on transactions here 20 years ago, guess things change.

Nam, it wasn't only Muggyman that dumped everything after getting advance notice of all those bad cellos, a few others did the same.

same , I didn't want to jump the gun but when he relisted them again today it was clear he knew what he was doing

the thing is I am sure a lot of this stuff went to other people who are not following and will not get refunds. They will probably put it away , maybe send it out on consignment somewhere else down the road unknowing of what they have. this crap will be circulating for a while. much like the early 70's grocery cellos and the 58 cellos . I haven't seen the 58's in a while but the grocery cellos still pop up pretty often :(

Griffins - How did you hear he is getting a refund?

beachbum - you speak the truth, this stuff will slowly get sold over the next 10 years. This is why I hate seeing people like bubblebath girl/guy buying empty wrappers and boxes. Just scary!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

The key is to spread the word so as many collectors as possible know to steer clear of this stuff. It may circulate through the hobby for some time if all the buyers don't return it to the auction company. That was my motivation for posting the BBCE feedback. It wasn't meant to call anyone out but I guess that's unavoidable in a situation like this.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

If he was a victim of fraud he needs to come on here and explain. If he doesn't hell with him. He's just as bad as the auction house. Hope he gets stuck with that crap.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Griffins said:

I was not aware of others, but I believe you.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 3:27PM

@Griffins said:

I'm surprised to hear this as from what I've heard thus far about this auction house, they did not seem to be willing to entertain any option for product returns. However, I'd imagine at this point, the pressure is pretty significant on them.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@Griffins said:

I'm surprised to hear this as from what I've heard thus far about this auction house, they did not seem to be willing to entertain any option for product returns. However, I'd imagine at this point, the pressure is pretty significant on them.

I agree. This wasn't a $500 scam. Ripoffs of this magnitude tend to bring a lot of heat.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was posted on Facebook. "Total sales=$1,578,371-----Total Bidders=38---Total bidders less than 5K=22------Large purchases---13 Bidders purchased $1,492,545-----142k, 67k, 52k, 67k, 130k, 228, 162k, 50k, 95k, 236k, 39k, 88k, 131k"

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 3:41PM

@jfkheat said:
    This was posted on Facebook. "Total sales=$1,578,371-----Total Bidders=38---Total bidders less than 5K=22------Large purchases---13 Bidders purchased $1,492,545-----142k, 67k, 52k, 67k, 130k, 228, 162k, 50k, 95k, 236k, 39k, 88k, 131k"

nothing like publicly bragging about how much you scammed all while providing self incriminating evidence. gotta love facebook! 😉

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@Griffins said:

I was not aware of others, but I believe you.

I'd wager it was a lot worse than what actually came out. I felt that way since the **** hit the fan. And how quickly it died.

• Options

@jfkheat said:

Do you have a link?

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 4:03PM

@blurryface said:

@jfkheat said:

nothing like publicly bragging about how much you scammed all while providing self incriminating evidence. gotta love facebook! 😉

The person that posted the info got it all from the auction house website. If you look at individual items and click on BIDS, it shows an encrypted bidder name. Someone spent a lot of time going through the items to add up all those totals.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 4:04PM

@jfkheat said:

@blurryface said:

@jfkheat said:

The person that posted the info got it all from the auction house website. If you look at individual items and click on BIDS, it shows an encrypted bidder name. Someone spent a lot of time going through the items to add up all those totals.

aha. gotcha. on the flip side then...free P.I. work. gotta love facebook! 😉

• Options
    DgofwinterDgofwinter Posts: 66 ✭✭

“Funny how ethics leaves you when you have a ton of money tied up in fake/altered product.”
    Exactly right!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tape on that '87 Traded case is hilarious. They might as well have used Target-branded tape to seal it. Trying to pass that off as factory is just downright insulting.

The amount of "factory sealed" Topps cases that have popped up since the terms BBCE FASC caused people to lose their marbles is quite something. As for the non-tape cases, they aren't hard to open without leaving evidence in the cardboard. I think I'm getting to the point where I'm going to start looking for older case breaks on some of this stuff; back before '87 Topps rack boxes were $100.

Arthur

• Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

Since my name was mentioned I figured I say something on the subject. I bought several items and I was not close to being the highest buyer. I boarded a plane with what I won immediately for Chicago and was in Steve's office an hour later. These boxes looked like they came out of cases. The 1976 Baseball look immaculate. Anyone who would see these would think so, right now if you saw them you would think so. Ive had conversations with several other buyers and they think so. Steve has reservations and he pointed them out. He also said he was not certain all the packs were resealed but he could not certify the boxes.
    I was in the building where all the items were stored, it is massive, there were empty cases that these boxes came out of on the floor. If everything was jobbed, then it took years to do. Unfortunately myself and a few other buyers who I will not mention by name, if they care to respond they can do so, cannot stake our reputations on possibly altered material. I will only speak for myself but a few of us have reached agreement to return what we bought with the Auction House.
    That being said, Ive also had some people tell me the stuff is good. I cant say as now Im confused. Im waiting on one box to arrive today from a very nice gentleman in NY who bought it and it all goes back, even the sets I won.

• Options

@gaspipe26 said:
    Since my name was mentioned I figured I say something on the subject. I bought several items and I was not close to being the highest buyer. I boarded a plane with what I won immediately for Chicago and was in Steve's office an hour later. These boxes looked like they came out of cases. The 1976 Baseball look immaculate. Anyone who would see these would think so, right now if you saw them you would think so. Ive had conversations with several other buyers and they think so. Steve has reservations and he pointed them out. He also said he was not certain all the packs were resealed but he could not certify the boxes.
    I was in the building where all the items were stored, it is massive, there were empty cases that these boxes came out of on the floor. If everything was jobbed, then it took years to do. Unfortunately myself and a few other buyers who I will not mention by name, if they care to respond they can do so, cannot stake our reputations on possibly altered material. I will only speak for myself but a few of us have reached agreement to return what we bought with the Auction House.
    That being said, Ive also had some people tell me the stuff is good. I cant say as now Im confused. Im waiting on one box to arrive today from a very nice gentleman in NY who bought it and it all goes back, even the sets I won.

did you try opening a box you are familiar with to see if the gum, collation, conditions are all in line? while steve is pretty much the go to, nobody is perfect. i'm thinking if i was pretty sure, regardless of someone else's opinion, i'd have to bite the bullet and find out for myself.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 7:43AM

Unless we're all ready to say Steve is not the man anymore.......If the "Hitman" said no....then it's no.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Steve is the man, but he gets beat. He auth'd a whole slew of high end cello's with stars on front.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was thinking the same, before I sent it all back you can bet I'd pop open a pack to see what's inside. If legit, can always be replaced.

@blurryface said:

@gaspipe26 said:

did you try opening a box you are familiar with to see if the gum, collation, conditions are all in line? while steve is pretty much the go to, nobody is perfect. i'm thinking if i was pretty sure, regardless of someone else's opinion, i'd have to bite the bullet and find out for myself.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    I think Steve is the man, but he gets beat. He auth'd a whole slew of high end cello's with stars on front.

For sure; but it sounds like a bunch of this stuff is really bad. In all honesty I was hyping Steve etc. because he is darn near worshiped on these boards from everything I've ever read. I don't do unopened stuff and should stop commenting on this thread. Good luck to all involved.

• Options

From what I've heard there was absolutely no question these boxes were no good.

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 8:32AM

@grote15 said:

Same here- there was no doubt from what I heard- "reservations" is going out on a long limb.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options

@Mickey71 said:
    Unless we're all ready to say Steve is not the man anymore.......If the "Hitman" said no....then it's no.

ehh. and again, i love steve. but nobody bats a thousand. he’s as close to it as possible.

but you also have to understand steve’s reputation IS his business. if there is even a sniff that something isnt right, he’s gonna reject it. that doesnt necessarily make the entire batch of something bonk.

has anybody got any confirmation about the original owner? people are pretty hush hush when it comes to their finds. i know the guy who supposedly found this a while back never divulges a thing. not just from this, but from anything bc usually those contacts lead to buddy collectors, ie more finds.

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

That is exactly what I heard as well. They were “garbage” is the exact word used.

As many of you may recall, a long time member of this group always said...”All that glitters is not gold”.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

What about the 1978 OPC hockey. How confident in that one are you??

• Options

@jfkheat said:
    Just the fact that Steve wasn't allowed to look at or bid on anything says pretty much all I need to know.

what are the details surrounding that? was this before the initial run? and was steve gonna go up there prior to the first round?

or are we talking they wouldnt let him see stuff AFTER several reports that steve rejected stuff previously purchased?

two totally different scenarios. if its the first, then agreed. if its the second part, then i can see why they would say that.

im not defending anyone, just playing devils advocates and thinking out all the different scenarios that could have taken place.

we still havent gotten back to why gaspipe would still put them back up if steve said no, he didnt open any to gather his own conclusion or feel comfortable about the deal in the first place.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 8:48AM

@grote15 said:

@JakeR2234 said:

@grote15 said:

Same here- there was no doubt from what I heard- "reservations" is going out on a long limb.

these posts came in while i was typing up mine. enough said for me. grote, his knowledge & contacts are pretty much scripture for me.

and twisting words into “reservations” is pretty telling.

• Options

From what you read a lot of members pass judgment without full knowledge. The reason I’m sending it back is because Steve feels the boxes have been tampered with. As for why BBCE was not allowed to bid, I’ve heard both sides of the story. They are quite different. Makes no matter because after today the items I have will be returned.
    Don’t think these won’t show up elsewhere though.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 9:07AM

@gaspipe26 said:
    From what you read a lot of members pass judgment without full knowledge. The reason I’m sending it back is because Steve feels the boxes have been tampered with. As for why BBCE was not allowed to bid, I’ve heard both sides of the story. They are quite different. Makes no matter because after today the items I have will be returned.

cmon now. “reservations” and now “tampered with” are two totally different things. so yes, i am passing judgement here...ya shoulda came out and adamantly said what really occurred. and that was that he felt they were fake as [expletive delete].

i dont even really know ya, but i do believe in innocent until proven guilty. i was trying to give you and everyone involved the benefit of the doubt bc i agree, we dont know all the facts. but massaging and sugar coating the only important details about tampering is not a good look.

• Options

Steve was denied access prior to the auction to view the lots and then when he requested a bidder ID, that request was also denied.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 9:13AM

You can say whatever you like, I’ve stated everything that happened and that it’s all going back. You have no idea, you have not seen any of it and yes those are the two words Steve used, reservations and tampered whether you like it or not. You can have your opinion buts it’s like the old adage.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 9:13AM

@gaspipe26 said:
    buts it’s like the old adage.

finally. something thats actually factual.

tampered was not in your original post, period.

fight me.

• Options

Are you returning the Fun bag that sold as well?

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@gaspipe26 said:

What’s the other side of the story? It certainly might cast doubt on the claim that Steve wasn’t allowed to view the items.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 9:27AM

no wonder why you had reservations about opening a box. its because you were told they were tampered with. 🥁

thank you, thank you. and dont forget to tip your waitresses.

• Options

This reminds me of the John Rocker interview where he could has stopped talking after a minute and just kept on going. Digging the hole deeper and deeper and deeper and deeper.
    He's returning the boxes because Steve said they were bad-good point and completely valid. But what about selling the boxes or having them for sale?? Steve had already said they were bad. You said you were on the airplane and in his office in an hour or something like that.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    .........you were in Steve's office an hour after getting the boxes, and Steve told you they were tampered with, why did you list them for sale on eBay and even sell some of them?.........

• Options

An hour after I landed I was in Steve’s store, not an hour after I picked them up.