Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Did anyone here attend this auction in Delaware? Mostly unopened

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes but if someone sells a fake Rembrandt painting as genuine, I don't think that flimsy legal disclaimer will protect them. Perhaps some of the lawyers on here can chime in.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well they got a 1,000,000.00 case if they want one. And probably 200 different clients. Description was pretty much its 24 packs or 36 packs. And no history of the items.
    Sucks

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

no different than anything else in the collecting world. there is no complete blanket. must take each case, each box, each pack in each box by its own merits.

i know several sealed legit cases were yanked from this "find" a year'ish back. granted there's probably very good reason the water logged, molded, questionable items are left AND why they attempted to go w an "under the radar" auction house w what was left.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not surprised but still sad to see.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

gaspipe's sale thread in the BST where he swore they were good has disappeared. Interesting.

• Options

at least there was no sales tax.

"always look on the bright side of life"

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Don't we have a member who bought a bunch and is selling it??

• Options
    edited May 3, 2021 9:24PM

@Mickey71 said:

Look up a few posts above yours.

• Options

@nam812 said:

@Mickey71 said:

Look up a few posts above yours.

Just saw this when you pointed it out. Baseball cards are such a big thing now that anyone using Huckleberry Hounds Auction House just doesn't make sense. Not sure what Gaspipe is doing buying crappy stuff and selling before being authenticated. Nothing makes much sense.

• Options

Hopefully no one here bought any of those boxes raw.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DgofwinterDgofwinter Posts: 66 ✭✭

Interesting that Gaspipe has boxes for sale on eBay. And it looks like he sold a couple of unopened boxes as well. Hopefully they are legit.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2021 9:10AM

@grote15 said:
    Hopefully no one here bought any of those boxes raw.

I made him an offer after he posted on the BST page on one of the 76 boxes which he turned down. I wasn't comfortable going any higher than the offer I made without them being authenticated. Now I'm glad he didn't accept the offer, but for what it's worth he apparently thinks they are good.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    DgofwinterDgofwinter Posts: 66 ✭✭

Didn’t say he was driving them to be authenticated by Steve??

• Options

@Dgofwinter said:
    Didn’t say he was driving them to be authenticated by Steve??

yep, that's what he told me.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2021 8:48AM

That's disappointing. The right move is to get a lawyer and go after the auction house. It wasn't even a close call. Steve didn't say 'they might be good but I didn't feel comfortable authenticating them because...'. The feedback was It was 'all resealed garbage' and 'they did a decent job of resealing them but they were all bad'. I feel comfortable posting what he said because he was reaching out to me, knowing I was interested, so I could also warn others away from this stuff.

Blurryface may be right and there was a portion of the collection that was good. However, it seems this auction house wasn't handling any of that. When you put everything together, it makes sense.

• Podunk auction house used to handle 7 figures worth of unopened product
    • Steve Hart prohibited from viewing or bidding on this inventory as was at least one other prominent authenticator
    • BBCE rejected the items they did inspect as clearly resealed
  • Options

if anyone has seen the movie war dogs, this whole scenario reminds me of the chinese ak-47 ammo deal.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be surprised if ALL of it is bad. But not surprised at all if the real high end stuff is no good.

Just seems like a bridge to far to have build all these packs and boxes. Seems far more likely that a collector over the years picked up mostly good stuff, and got burned on some bad stuff ( that will now burn the new owner).

If not, and the majority of this stuff is bad, then someone is seriously churning out unopened.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, how does Steve inspect stuff he wasn't able to view? Did he have a shot at this stuff, see it prior to the auction? Mostly curious, don't have a horse in this race.

@gemint said:
    That's disappointing. The right move is to get a lawyer and go after the auction house. It wasn't even a close call. Steve didn't say 'they might be good but I didn't feel comfortable authenticating them because...'. The feedback was It was 'all resealed garbage' and 'they did a decent job of resealing them but they were all bad'. I feel comfortable posting what he said because he was reaching out to me, knowing I was interested, so I could also warn others away from this stuff.

Blurryface may be right and there was a portion of the collection that was good. However, it seems this auction house wasn't handling any of that. When you put everything together, it makes sense.

• Podunk auction house used to handle 7 figures worth of unopened product
    • Steve Hart prohibited from viewing or bidding on this inventory as was at least one other prominent authenticator
    • BBCE rejected the items they did inspect as clearly resealed
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those listings need to be taken down. No one should be buying those.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Agree 100%. Are these boxes currently listed for sale on ebay??

• Options

@grote15 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Yep, and one 76 already sold.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/174756392906?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Collecting:
  • Options

@76collector said:

@grote15 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174756392906?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Ugh, that's not good at all. Gaspipe is selling these bad boxes??

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

That is too bad. Hopefully, there is a reasonable explanation beyond he thinks Steve is wrong about the authenticity of the boxes.

Robb

• Options

@76collector said:

@grote15 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

and 1974

• Options

@gemint said:

@76collector said:

@grote15 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

and 1974

WOW. Yep, looks like a 74 and a 76 already sold. That's not cool at all if he had Steve look at them and they were deemed re-sealed.

Collecting:
  • Options

@76collector said:

@gemint said:

@76collector said:

@grote15 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

and 1974

WOW. Yep, looks like a 74 and a 76 already sold. That's not cool at all if he had Steve look at them and they were deemed re-sealed.

Absolutely. I'd love to hear an explanation. Recycling bad product is not cool at all.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    "Returns – ALL SALES ARE FINAL. Bidder acknowledges and agrees that the items are auctioned and sold without warranties or guarantees. You must contact us by phone or email within 24 hours of receiving your package if there is a problem with your order."

Disclaimers like that always crack me up. No, you can't refuse a return from somebody if something you sold isn't what you portrayed it to be. No, you can't force a 24-hr contact window on people for returns either. This is just verbal vomit designed to scare people with all the weight of a chicken feather.

• Options
    PSA9sPSA9s Posts: 22 ✭✭

Do I have this right? Gaspipe (Bob) was told his unopened he bought in Delaware (which was listed on here for sale), was bad, and proceeded to resell it on e-bay without full disclosure. Really?

• Options

@PSA9s said:
    Do I have this right? Gaspipe (Bob) was told his unopened he bought in Delaware (which was listed on here for sale), was bad, and proceeded to resell it on e-bay without full disclosure. Really?

Apparently so. Absolutely unbelievable if this synopsis is correct.

• Options

@PSA9s said:

Not completely clear at this point. Based off the info @gemint got from Steve someone had some boxes from that auction inspected in the years that are up on EBAY and they were deemed bad. Not sure those were gaspipe's boxes though.

Collecting:
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PSA9s said:

From what I just read, sounds like you nailed it, except that he also didn't have to pay sales tax.....

• Options

@PSA9s said:

Sounds very "muggyman-esque".

• Options
    beachbumcollectingbeachbumcollecting Posts: 461 ✭✭✭

I am not sure about all the assumptions being made, he had 3 boxes of each year listed. They are no longer listed and the were ended. It is totally possible the 2 boxes were sold before the issues were raised by Steve. The 2 boxes that were sold were also purchased by the same person.

Let's hold off on getting out the pitchforks considering that gaspipe has been a standup guy for the past 20 years in this community.

• Options
    edited May 4, 2021 4:05PM

https://seashorehwyaac.com/product/lot-0546-1977-78-opc-hockey-unopened-wax-box-48-packstape-intact/?v=7516fd43adaa
    OPC hockey look no good as well.

Even though the box is currently taped. YOu can see it was once pulled off the box and then glued back on.
    Stain is also not where the tape is currently placed. Or totally different tap added. Who knows what could be in that box.

• Options

As I stated in the fourth post in this thread, I too had concerns about the product based on the limited low resolution photos the auction company provided. A few of the packs did not have good fold lines.

• Options

time to have a meeting w the bobs?

bc thats the exact opposite of cool if so.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

Surely he knows about this thread, and the fact that there are crickets from him should be telling too. (disclaimer: I know nothing about gaspipe, nor have I ever talked/had dealings with them, just an outsiders opinion).

• Options

Why was Gaspipe in such a hurry to sell them to begin with ? A guy who grades a zillion cards does not authenticate the boxes before selling? This is not good. If there is a reason for all of this.....the pitchforks may not be in hand; but they are in sight. And the sound of crickets is never good. Never ever ever good and makes an explanation that much harder even if legit.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:
    Why was Gaspipe in such a hurry to sell them to begin with ? A guy who grades a zillion cards does not authenticate the boxes before selling? This is not good. If there is a reason for all of this.....the pitchforks may not be in hand; but they are in sight. And the sound of crickets is never good. Never ever ever good and makes an explanation that much harder even if legit.

Let's see , maybe because he probably spent a ton of money , a lot more than he expected, because the "deals" were too good to pass.

as for crickets, I don't know what he spent but if he has as much coin tied up as it looks like in bad product. keeping his mouth shut until there is a resolution also makes the most sense.

I am not singling out the poster but just pointing out a few ideas to the board. everyone acts like they have been in this position before and knows what gaspipe should do. I am sure some of you have spent tons of money on cards and mortgaged your houses at times to buy cards but most of you have not been in his situation before so don't act like you know exactly what he should be doing. There could be something not cool going on but take a breather and think of both sides. The items are not being offered up, at least publicly, at the moment so there is no reason for him to come on here and say I spent a quarter mill on bogus stuff. What does that accomplish? The board has already determined that for him. He has the most leverage to fight the mike and ike auction company at this early stage by keeping his mouth shut, not by pi$$ing on them publicly

• Options

If he thinks they are legit why did he provide almost less quality pics than the first auction house. 1st example is the opc box. His pics hide the truth

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 5:00AM

@beachbumcollecting said:

@Mickey71 said:

Let's see , maybe because he probably spent a ton of money , a lot more than he expected, because the "deals" were too good to pass.

as for crickets, I don't know what he spent but if he has as much coin tied up as it looks like in bad product. keeping his mouth shut until there is a resolution also makes the most sense.

I am not singling out the poster but just pointing out a few ideas to the board. everyone acts like they have been in this position before and knows what gaspipe should do. I am sure some of you have spent tons of money on cards and mortgaged your houses at times to buy cards but most of you have not been in his situation before so don't act like you know exactly what he should be doing. There could be something not cool going on but take a breather and think of both sides. The items are not being offered up, at least publicly, at the moment so there is no reason for him to come on here and say I spent a quarter mill on bogus stuff. What does that accomplish? The board has already determined that for him. He has the most leverage to fight the mike and ike auction company at this early stage by keeping his mouth shut, not by pi$$ing on them publicly

objection.

cmon now. im sure he’s a close friend but seriously? theres plenty he could say w/o jeopardizing any position against mike & ike. in fact if it were me, you couldnt stop me from chastising ol mike & ike, confirming the junk AND warning fellow collectors. there is no consequence on his end.

your defense case does not hold merit.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

We all are entitled to an opinion. You made a few points and I don't think I agree with anything you just said. You also said "the items are not being offered up"......what????? He was selling them. I think he mentioned driving to BBCE to authenticate the boxes??? I think he even said it was like 50 miles or something???

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

objection.

cmon now. im sure he’s a close friend but seriously? theres plenty he could say w/o jeopardizing any position against mike & ike. in fact if it were me, you couldnt stop me from chastising ol mike & ike, confirming the junk AND warning fellow collectors. there is no consequence on his end.

Blurryface,

Thank you.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

objection.

first of all I I don't know him, have just dealt with him in the past without issue.

second I am not defending him, I am just going with the shoot first mentality. seems that is how most things work these days so I guess I am wrong for not hanging him in public. I am sure some can relate ( you , derek, john, etc) but most of this board has not had this type of money tied up so they should stop telling him what to do.

that is your strategy to chastise old mike and ike. might work for you others can have a different strategy. I personally would not say anything outside of "issues came up with some of the product and being dealt with". Any more isn't going to help anyway.

I am guessing the board expects a video to be posted of a big barn fire with all the product so that he can protect everyone. I guess they would be offended if he returned the product to the auction house because it could be sold again.

as for his pictures, the 74 and 76 boxes which were the 2 I saw on ebay legit pictures and the packs actually looked fine which just shows all the novices that you can't determine raw product from pics and the packs need to be in hand. I have no idea what was posted on the b/s/t board as that thread was deleted.

maybe it is all a scam, maybe he is trying to rip people off, maybe he has been a crook for the last 40 years started when he was dumpster diving at the topps factory.

I don't know but until someone says that steve looked at the boxes and then he listed them for sale after they were rejected without disclosure, I am going to hold off judgement. from what I can tell that chain of events has not been determined. If it has then he is a scumbag. If he was just trying to sell what he thought were good boxes to get some cash back quick and then questions were raised and he halted , he has done what he can until things get sorted out

• Options

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

objection.

I personally would not say anything outside of "issues came up with some of the product and being dealt with". Any more isn't going to help anyway.

exactly. did i miss that part from him?

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

@Mickey71 said:

objection.

I personally would not say anything outside of "issues came up with some of the product and being dealt with". Any more isn't going to help anyway.

exactly. did i miss that part from him?

Nope. I saw the BST post. He was adamant about driving to BBCE for authentication on a Monday. Steve Hart prohibited from bidding (huge red flag), Steve hart deeming packs re sealed (🚩🚩🚩)
    And now he’s selling KNOWN re sealed packs on eBay.
    B/S/T Thread taken down, bc he knows nobody here will buy those from him.

Plenty of opportunity to defend himself here. Where is he? Crickets.
    I’m all for innocent until proven guilty, but these are FACTS.