Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Grade Poppage Thread (Through-Date Estimation)

Comments

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:

@rexvos said:
    I broke down an emailed them concerning my economy. Hope to have a reply next Friday.

My economy review order was received on 7/17 and logged on 8/22. Its been in grading since 9/15 or so. Five months has me worried too. I haven't emailed though. I look forward to hearing what they tell you.

-Nathanael

Good chance the wait exceeds a week

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

fwiw: have several economy orders sent 8/11, logged 9/04.

still expecting two weeks before they pop based on my completely unscientific approach.

basic raw sub though, not reviews.

edited February 21, 2021 12:27AM

@parthur1607 said:

@jeffv96masters said:
    Posted today for those parts of the US who have been affected by the ice storms.
    And let me know how the conversation with economy level goes I'll just sit and be patient on mine long as it gets here by the 2021 hoop & football seasons I'm good B)
    >
    >
    >

Just saw that as well. Surprised they would stop shipments to the entire country. I have a regular sub and an express sub that are both in QA2. Was hoping to get them back next week. Guess that won’t be happening

i would hold off on sending ANYTHING via Fedex Air right now. ground services will get it there quicker. trust me. the memphis air hub is all but one solid chunk o' ice right now.

• BigMKBigMK Posts: 93 ✭✭

I seem to be in the same boat as many of you. My 15 CC Free Economy order was received 8/27, logged 9/28 and has been in Grading since 10/15. I thought about calling, but held off after reading the comments here. I guess this is normal? I remember when I sent this in thinking I would get the order back around the Holidays. Geez...at this rate it's looking more like Holidays of 2021.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I have 4 economy orders that arrived in early August, were entered in early Sept, and are all sitting in grading and have been for months now. I don't really even check on them much anymore. It is bizarre.

• jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

B) > @bobbybakeriv said:

I have 4 economy orders that arrived in early August, were entered in early Sept, and are all sitting in grading and have been for months now. I don't really even check on them much anymore. It is bizarre.

>
    >
    " " $500 says we get there before you do ". Patience my good baratam- patience."" Sorry just had to spit out the mummy reference
    😁😁

Anyways for those people who have had deliveries affected in the last 7 days, you should start seeing some movement by Tuesday of this week per friends who work for UPS and FedEx. The ice not only affected pickups and deliveries, it was affecting fuel deliveries that are required by all these delivery companies in order to get trucks to move. So it was sort of a side issue many people would think about. Nobody needs tanker trucks blowing up trying to deliver fuel.

On bulks current average I'm seeing is about 146 business days = that's roughly nine calendar months.

On the old economy level Subs , the average I'm seeing is 6 calendar months, roughly 92.5 business days

I'm going to have to get vacation time saved , as I'll be over run with slabs once they start popping.

Great first world problem of course B)

@jeffv96masters said:
    the old economy level Subs , the average I'm seeing is 6 calendar months, roughly 92.5 business days

I'm going to have to get vacation time saved , as I'll be over run with slabs once they start popping.

Great first world problem of course B)

it's those half days that getcha! 😉

• envoy982envoy982 Posts: 368 ✭✭✭

@BigMK said:
    I seem to be in the same boat as many of you. My 15 CC Free Economy order was received 8/27, logged 9/28 and has been in Grading since 10/15. I thought about calling, but held off after reading the comments here. I guess this is normal? I remember when I sent this in thinking I would get the order back around the Holidays. Geez...at this rate it's looking more like Holidays of 2021.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe I'll see grades by Xmas. Now it looks like maybe March.

@blurryface thanks for the update. I actually sent in 5 subs via registered mail on 2/13 and they haven't been delivered yet either. Usually it's 4-6 days from MN. They are in the Santa Ana PO location now though. Now I wonder if I'll do better than the 12 week check-in average.

Question for @jeffv96masters - when you are referring to bulk, does that include all the "Value" levels?

@blurryface said:

it's those half days that getcha! 😉

I'm asleep for them anyways B)

@envoy982 sorry I work graveyards was sleeping didn't see your post
    PSA collector club used to have 50 and 100 card "bulk" services where pricing varied on amounts
    I never like using the term for less than 100 cards. To me I use it for 100-1999 cards above that I call it "aggregate".
    Below that level its a 'sub'. Its personal preference- others may call "bulks" something different.
    Hope that helps.

On another front- UPS started delivering items from Feb 17th that were Next Day Airs today Mon Feb 22nd. Saw a bunch of my next day airs get delivered to some hard hit areas. And a lot not being delivered by the 10:30 am cutoffs. That's how far behind they are. I called- main reason was "fuel shortages". Apparently tankers couldn't deliver fuel to some places, causing fuel shortages, causing fleets to ground to a halt until fuel got there.

And here I am in Vegas today in shorts and t-shirt -and my peeps wonder why I moved here from the east :*

The cold snap affected none of my stuff all deliveries hit PSA on time and quickly.

• parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Several people have posted about economy/CC voucher subs that are stuck in grading since October. They all seem to have arrived before September and were logged in September. I have a CC order in the same predicament. Arrived 8/25, logged 9/23, grading since 10/16. I was just looking at my laundry list of submissions and ran across an economy that I submitted in September. It arrived 9/14, logged 10/12, but the difference here is instead of sitting in grading for 4 months it sat in R&ID for 4 months. It hit grading on 2/11. So it looks like the grading room may have told research to stop sending subs in so they could catch up. Maybe that’s a good sign for those subs sitting in grading for what is about to be 5 months.

@parthur1607 said:
    Several people have posted about economy/CC voucher subs that are stuck in grading since October. They all seem to have arrived before September and were logged in September. I have a CC order in the same predicament. Arrived 8/25, logged 9/23, grading since 10/16. I was just looking at my laundry list of submissions and ran across an economy that I submitted in September. It arrived 9/14, logged 10/12, but the difference here is instead of sitting in grading for 4 months it sat in R&ID for 4 months. It hit grading on 2/11. So it looks like the grading room may have told research to stop sending subs in so they could catch up. Maybe that’s a good sign for those subs sitting in grading for what is about to be 5 months.

Interesting. I hope you're right! At this point I'm expecting late March. It would be nice to get them back before then so I can sell a few cards off and pay for these other recent purchases. :) I also noticed that when I printed my forms a couple weeks back it was a 12 week delay for check-in, now it says it's a 15 week delay.

@envoy982 said:

@parthur1607 said:

Interesting. I hope you're right! At this point I'm expecting late March. It would be nice to get them back before then so I can sell a few cards off and pay for these other recent purchases. :) I also noticed that when I printed my forms a couple weeks back it was a 12 week delay for check-in, now it says it's a 15 week delay.

That keeps going back and forth. A month ago it was 15 weeks, last week it was 12 weeks, now back to 15 again. I was hoping the 12 weeks would drop to 8 or 9 soon, as a good sign of continuing progress. Oh well, I have had several subs move from R&ID to grading recently so at least I am getting closer to the finish line!

To be honest, I am disappointed with PSA's lack of improvement during this time. I get that they were initially overwhelmed and that is understandable. But, to me, it feels like things are actually getting worse and certainly not better. And, even worse it seems like they expect their customers to simply "suck it up" which we are all doing. LOL Oh well, it is not my show and they are still the best game in town.

edited February 23, 2021 7:03PM

7 card, regular level

rec'd: 1/13/21
    logged; 1/22/21
    grade Popped: 2/23/21

1 1 53761841 EXCELLENT-MINT 6. 2018 Topps Update US300 Juan Soto Batting-Vintage Stock
    2 1 53761842 NEAR MINT 7. 2018 Topps Update US300 Juan Soto Batting-Vintage Stock
    3 1 53761843 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2018 Topps Update Mini US300 Juan Soto Blue
    4 1 53761844 MINT 9 2018 Topps Update Mini US300 Juan Soto Pink Card
    5 1 53761845 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2018 Topps Update Mini US300 Juan Soto Pink
    6 1 53761846 NEAR MINT 7 2018 Topps Update US300 Juan Soto Batting-Camo
    7 1 53761847 MINT 9 2019 Panini Prizm Sensational Signatures Ldt Luguentz Dort Choice Prizm-Green

notes: swing & a miss. big whiff actually. embarrassed to be quite honest. either something happened during shipping or i had a close encounter w/ the g.o.d.

eta: they did seem to take about 10 extra days than normal here. most regs popping right at 30 calendar days for me from time recvd.

@blurryface said:

>

notes: swing & a miss. big whiff actually. embarrassed to be quite honest. either something happened during shipping or i had a close encounter w/ the g.o.d.

eta: they did seem to take about 10 extra days than normal here. most regs popping right at 30 calendar days for me from time recvd.

It happens...even to the best. I have seen some seriously smoking subs from you for the most part. I do believe in the grader of death. :s

• My value sub (109 cards) was dropped off in NJ 7/9/20, logged in 7/21/20, hit grading in late January, and has been in assembly for the past three weeks or so. They say the July orders are almost done, but mine is stuck for some reason... Another 4 economy subs arrived in November, logged in early February, and sitting in research - I figure those will take until midsummer...

@blurryface said:
    7 card, regular level

logged; 1/22/21

1 1 53761841 EXCELLENT-MINT 6. 2018 Topps Update US300 Juan Soto Batting-Vintage Stock
    2 1 53761842 NEAR MINT 7. 2018 Topps Update US300 Juan Soto Batting-Vintage Stock
    7 1 53761847 MINT 9 2019 Panini Prizm Sensational Signatures Ldt Luguentz Dort Choice Prizm-Green

eta: they did seem to take about 10 extra days than normal here. most regs popping right at 30 calendar days for me from time recvd

He is real and yes you have met him. No need to be embarrassed. Instead if you get the cards back and the grades are not justified, he should be. Nothing is more infuriating than waiting for a sub and then everything gets slighted. I used to just crack and resubmit but my patience has worn thin with that approach. Even though I get a grade bump more times than not when I do

@blurryface said:
    7 card, regular level

logged; 1/22/21

Man that is disappointing. I know you looked those cards over before sending them and didn’t expect anything lower than a 9 possibly an 8. I wonder sometimes what possibly happens while cards are at the facility. Not that they deliberately damage cards, just that the employees get lax and maybe drop a shipment or something and rather than tell someone, for fear of getting in trouble or possibly fired, they just send it on through and we as the customers are left with the results. On those cards you submitted the difference in a 9 and a 10 could be upwards of $500. A 6 or a 7 and you can’t even get enough to cover grading costs.

Another thing I have come to believe is the difference between a 9 and a 10 could come down to a matter of opinion. I have gotten cards back that I would have given a 9 but the grader gave me a 10 and I have had cards that I thought were absolutely perfect receive a 9. Just had the grade on this one pop today and I thought for sure this card was perfect. Even submitted at express level because if it was a 10 it would have been over $1000

1 card Express
    Arrived 1/19
    Logged 1/28
    Popped 2/23

2018 Topps Update Ronald Acuña Jr. Red and Blue shirt MINT 9

• 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

I just received some cards I sent in June. They were crack-outs from 1960. 14 cards, all had been graded 5 or 6. All came back 7's with 2 6's. ( some are stars). There is a grader of death, and he know where we live.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:
    To be honest, I am disappointed with PSA's lack of improvement during this time. I get that they were initially overwhelmed and that is understandable. But, to me, it feels like things are actually getting worse and certainly not better. And, even worse it seems like they expect their customers to simply "suck it up" which we are all doing. LOL Oh well, it is not my show and they are still the best game in town.

Well, let's look at the last thirteen months: there was a price increase, and then much of the country (planet?) got locked down (including PSA), which caused increased demand. PSA reacted violently to limit demand (huge price increases). One would have thought this would have drastically reduced the number of cards worth grading, and remember the changes were marketed as temporary. Certainly if you thought your 1983 Donruss Schmidt was a 7 with a shot at 8 it became much less financially sound to send it in. It's clear now that this change, for some reason, caused submissions to go in the other direction. But of course PSA wants to study the effects before making any big changes, especially ones that are costly to reverse. Will this volume of submissions continue when we are free to congregate, and have a lot of things to spend our money on besides cardboard? No one knows. Anyway, next came negotiations to sell Collector's Corner. PSA may have been legally forbidden to make large changes during this process and definitely would have been unwise to alienate a purchaser. Now the new owners have to decide what changes they want to make. It's been a busy thirteen months, and there have been a lot of changes, if not successful "improvements".

Agree with daltex on this one. How many millions of cards would you guess PSA has received in the past 6 months? If the submission numbers are truly sequential, and I believe they are, I can attest to the fact that they have received almost 300,000 submissions since July 28, 2021. I would say they have done pretty well with turnaround times. They can get a regular sub in and out in just over 1 month. But from a business standpoint, why would they hire more people to clear the backlog? They are still receiving a ton of business and if they hired 100 people just to get caught up then they have to lay off 100 people when things return to normal. As it stands they can guarantee their current employees with job security for the foreseeable future.

I hear you both just see things a bit differently. Also, in the early fall we were assured steps were being taken to help catch up. Anyhow, good luck with your grades.

They did say that they were going to have a “through-date” link set up to show progress for each service level. What happened to that? Lol

• weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

As I'm sure has been discussed ad nauseum, they just can't throw bodies at the problem. They have to OJT new graders or poach existing ones from competitors. That said, the wait time is somewhere between Godot and The Knight from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and while partially understandable, is massively frustrating and a huge fun-sucker for this hobby. Maybe the best thing to happen would be a decrease in the premium PSA cards are seen to carry in comparison to Beckett and/or the New Old Kid on The Block coming online gettimg major street cred in auction prices and we see some actual market forces load balance the hobby AND get PSA more motivated to Figure This Out before we all die waiting for our subs...

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heh "pantsless man is stunned"... that's gold.

Mike
    Bosox1976

can't believe someone actually got thru that rant! 😉

• thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

Morning,

Smoking Jacket on.....Pipe in place, Reading Glasses on!

Well Written, very well written!

Thanks

YeeHaw!

Neil

• TerwinTerwin Posts: 70 ✭✭

Seems like quite a bit there. I think I'll wait for the movie! Seriously, well stated. Thanks.

@blurryface said:

That was a long one, no doubt. I get it and your points are well-taken. I am simply frustrated (as are many) and my expectation was that times would start speeding up. Wishful thinking I suppose. These are assuredly strange times. >:)

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

Wowzer!! Hammered that nail and drove it home....very good points. "Regulars" have been sucking it up all along and then took a slap in the face when CC subs were thrown into economy. Pantless man is full of illusion and intrigue of PSA 10's and will probably meet the grader of death. With Collectors Universe going private the 800lb gorilla will remain well fed. 100% agree about the customer service ladies..... I'm sure they are just as frustrated as us.

• Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Hey! My 55-card Value sub that arrived 8/18/20 FINALLY moved into grading (coincidentally, 2 days after I sent customer service an email asking what was up with my order).

So now probably another 4 months to get out of grading. :D

@sayheywyo said:
    @blurryface said:

Wowzer!! Hammered that nail and drove it home....very good points. "Regulars" have been sucking it up all along and then took a slap in the face when CC subs were thrown into economy. Pantless man is full of illusion and intrigue of PSA 10's and will probably meet the grader of death. With Collectors Universe going private the 800lb gorilla will remain well fed. 100% agree about the customer service ladies..... I'm sure they are just as frustrated as us.

I am not sure what you mean by "regulars" but for the record, I have been submitting with PSA and a member of this board since 2004. Not trying to argue here, just setting the record straight. Good luck with your subs!

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

That has to be the longest post in the history of this forum.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman

@76collector said:
    That has to be the longest post in the history of this forum.

It is certainly one of them. If you were around, DGF had some pretty long ones back in the day LOL :D .

Mr Face sums it up well. I am incredibly bullish on certain things right now in this hobby, but the primary thing I am bullish on is PSA. The others do not have the pedigree, appeal, or following. There turn around times are just as bad as PSA. Their prices comparable but their value add is fractions to PSA

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are probably 2 months away from finishing orders that were received in July.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman

Blurry you been dipping into the Evan Williams and Widow Jane again ;)>:) ??

You get an F for a short, concise, to the point post.

I'll give an A though for that rant gave me something to read during my lunch break :D

Post of 2021 nominee

• New to the boards thanks to @LarkinCollector for pointing me to this thread

Have a couple of Subs in the PSA dungeons, one CC Vouchers, Arrived 8/14/2020, Entered 9/15/2020 been in Grading Since Oct hopefully get them back in the next couple months

Other Sub was a Value 1 Modern Arrived Oct/2020 recently Entered 1/26/2021 currently in R&D

Just sent off an Express Service on 2/12, it arrived 2/17 still waiting for it to get entered. Any feedback on current experiences with Express - I know the weather event bogged things down which was why I purposely waited until my next Express sub hoping to get out the door tomorrow or Sat

Enjoy reading the comments - Thanks in advance

J

• So what happens in this scenario: I have 3 un-executed vouchers, but they are in the system, almost identical time frame as the post directly above me (arrived August, entered Sept, grading since Oct)... but if they don't hurry, my plat sub will expire. I intend to renew, but if they pop after my renewal, will those 3 be counted against my renewal total, or the prior sub?

Collecting...
    1978 Topps Baseball autograph set
    1952 Topps Baseball raw

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2021 12:39PM

@Avardan said:
    So what happens in this scenario: I have 3 un-executed vouchers, but they are in the system, almost identical time frame as the post directly above me (arrived August, entered Sept, grading since Oct)... but if they don't hurry, my plat sub will expire. I intend to renew, but if they pop after my renewal, will those 3 be counted against my renewal total, or the prior sub?

They're not expired if there's an order postmarked using them prior to the expiration date. You can't renew or purchase plat or gold memberships now.

• @LarkinCollector said:
    They're not expired if there's an order postmarked using them prior to the expiration date. You can't renew or purchase plat or gold memberships now.

Thank you - wow, appreciate the heads up that even those with Plat/Gold memberships will not even be renewed.

Collecting...
    1978 Topps Baseball autograph set
    1952 Topps Baseball raw

I am up to 6 subs in stage 4. 1 in stage 5. 6 in stage 3. 4 in stage 1, and 2 that I mailed Monday that are in transit arriving late.

I am not sure when I will send anything else out but that is a lot of fees hanging out to eventually hit my credit card.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:
    I am up to 6 subs in stage 4. 1 in stage 5. 6 in stage 3. 4 in stage 1, and 2 that I mailed Monday that are in transit arriving late.

I am not sure when I will send anything else out but that is a lot of fees hanging out to eventually hit my credit card.

I know the feeling, I've got 13 orders hanging out there right now and a piggyback with another member going out this week.

The CC points/miles should be nice once they all clear :D

I started sending one value sub every two weeks in October. Some time in January I decided to start sending two subs per week so that at least I will start getting them back on a regular occasion once they do start coming back. They are all modern or ultra modern value subs. I only send 20 in each. It’s mostly cards that I have had for a few years (I bought a ton of 2018 baseball cards when Acuña, Soto, ohtani and Miguel andujar were rookies). I will sell most of the cards but the few I hang onto will get paid for by the others. My only fear is if PSA catches up in a few months and all these subs get completed within a few days of each other. Then I get a few thousand dollars of charges all at once.

The 5 subs I sent together were delivered on Monday 2/22 and were marked as "arrived" today. I did notice the banner now is back down to "up to 12 weeks" for check-in. It was 12 when I mailed then jumped to 15. Hopefully it starts to go down a bit. I see another price increase is supposed to be coming starting 3/1; has anyone heard what is jumping? Is there any expectation that those fees will come back down after (assuming) they get caught up? Does anyone think they'll open the CC memberships up again for new members or just renewals for a while? I was thinking about that once they got suspended. Will existing members be allowed to renew? New members allowed to sign-up or will they open it up to everyone without a membership or push people to group subs?

@parthur1607 - I like your strategy of sending in every couple of weeks. Hopefully they don't all hit at once and jam you up for a ton of fees at the same time, or if they do, you get some monster cards and can clear it quickly. :)

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one finally popped & shipped.
    Order Type: Regular Supersized
    Card total: 19
    Order delivered: 11-11
    Order received per PSA: 11-12
    Research & ID: 11-12
    Grading: 11-13
    Assembly: 12-14
    QA1: 2-4
    QA2: 2-11
    Shipped: 2-25

@erikthredd - dang, 2-1/2 months from assembly to shipped. Care to share the sub/results?

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

@envoy982 said:
    @erikthredd - dang, 2-1/2 months from assembly to shipped. Care to share the sub/results?

There ended up being an issue with one card that might have prolonged the turnaround a bit. I posted the results here at the bottom: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1027303/erikthredds-michael-jordan-5x7-nike-poster-card-collection-2-25-grades-popped#latest

@erikthredd said:
    This one finally popped & shipped.
    Order Type: Regular Supersized
    Card total: 19
    Order delivered: 11-11
    Order received per PSA: 11-12
    Research & ID: 11-12
    Grading: 11-13
    Assembly: 12-14
    QA1: 2-4
    QA2: 2-11
    Shipped: 2-25

They shipped it? So they are not holding them still?