Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone want to share their new purchases?

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mosjcoin said:
    1864 L Indian head varieties I can't resist buying when I find a rare one. This is the crk-002 variety no snow number and with early die state reverse. It should have a heavy die crack at 6 o'clock on the reverse. To bad this one had some cleaning.

you need a quick edit to fix die crack location
    Obverse instead of reverse lol
    Have a great day
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    mosjcoinmosjcoin Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:

@mosjcoin said:
    1864 L Indian head varieties I can't resist buying when I find a rare one. This is the crk-002 variety no snow number and with early die state reverse. It should have a heavy die crack at 6 o'clock on the reverse. To bad this one had some cleaning.

Have a great day
    Wayne

Sorry but the crk-002 variety has both obverse and reverse die cracks at 6. Sam

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mosjcoin said:

Have a great day
    Wayne

Sorry but the crk-002 variety has both obverse and reverse die cracks at 6. Sam

sorry also, my bad I was going by what was shown

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020 12:12AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    Okay, this one finally came in. I know absolutely NOTHING about these large bronze medals. I bought this because I loved the intracacy of the design, and because of its connection to the Chicago Columbus Exposition.

Does anyone know of a good online research resource for historical bronze medals? I didn't see this one listed in the "so-called dollars" references that I have. I think it is a bit too large to qualify. I think @Zoins might be my best referral resource.

Anyway, it came in late yesterday. Here is my latest acquisition. It measures 50.5mm and weighs in at 47.0 grams.

Z

1893 World's Columbian Expo / Christopher Columbus Bronze

Beautiful medal @ZoidMeister! I love this design!

This one was done by Wilhelm Mayer who was in business with his brother-in-law as Mayer & Wilhelm.

A die sinking establishement which was founded in 1860 by Wilhelm Mayer who was a sculptor and engraver. In 1876 his brother in law Frantz Wilhelm joined the firm. Wilhelm Mayer was born in 1840, Franz was born in 1846 and was an engraver by trade.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/BIOG112098

Wilhelm Mayer was one of the founders, along with Franz Wilhelm, of a metalware factory in Stuttgart. He was born in 1840 in Lauffen am Neckar, and studied metalwork and engraving in Stuttgart.

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/civitas_galleries/33/product/germany_stuttgart_mayer__wilhelm_1917_silvered_bronze_40mm_medal_au/975339/Default.aspx

Al @keets has a nice collection of these.

Tom @tmot99 is a resident expert on the Columbian Exposition.

• Options
    AzjediAzjedi Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

Santa Franklin

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs nice looking Potosi 8 Reales. Is that 1700? Can’t read the third digit.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2020 7:11AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    It finally arrived from Portugal. No more posting the sellers photos. I love the high relief detail of this 1861 Leopold Wiener medal, especially how the light plays off the castle wall behind the Angel. Looks like the castle is being lit from behind the figures.

Z

Amazingly beautiful medal! I love the imagery.

Congrats and thanks for posting it!

• Options

@coinsarefun said:

@DNADave said:

I liked these so much I was chasing all the slight differences but........haven’t been chasing much lately....lol

Do you know how many varieties there are? I've always been curious!

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@coinsarefun said:

@DNADave said:

I liked these so much I was chasing all the slight differences but........haven’t been chasing much lately....lol

Do you know how many varieties there are? I've always been curious!

No, I haven’t had time to start back searching again but, I don’t think there are that
    many more

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file