Home U.S. Coin Forum

The New "Ultimate" Custom Dansco US Type Set Album

Bullet01Bullet01 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
edited October 3, 2019 6:06PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Most collectors would know, the Dansco 7070 US Type Set Album is out of date and in my opinion could use a complete overhaul by adding certain coin types along with deleting other all together. One discovery was finding out the first 3 large cents are oversized by 1mm and is really annoying. Especially when the coin spins around when opening and closing. Well now its time for a change.

As a graphic designer by nature and a complete details freak, I've decided to take on the project of making my own one off album. I managed to contact Dansco directly (real pain) and have them ship me blank pages with NO COIN HOLES CUT OUT. The plan is to create my own new layout and to cut out the coin ports myself. I also have access to a screen printing shop so I will have actual printed letters. No stickers.

This will be a slow going process so bear with me since this is very experimental.

Update as of 10/3/19

Comments

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you complete that and it looks as good as it sounds, I'll be very interested in seeing your completed product (and perhaps interested in seeing if you'd like to make another for sale).

I've been a bit on the frustrated side with Dansco for some time. Your comments certainly hit the nail on the 7070 head.

Good luck.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. Once you perfect it, sell me one. :)

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice idea, but I would find that cutting the holes would be the biggest obstacle for me. Agreed on the obsolescence of the 7070...it really needs an overhaul.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great project. Love to see stages and final album. Good luck!

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

So cool that you found the blank pages. I could see this becoming side work if the process becomes simple enough. Who hasn't wanted a custom dansco album in the past?

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posting to follow.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting concept. I totally agree with your issues with the current 7070... the coins that were included and those that were excluded... that said, I tried a Whitman Type Set of small denominations that included spaces for 18th Century Type... 1793 Chain Cent, 1796 Small Eagle Quarter... etc. .. virtual "unobtainium" for us mortal collectors... especially to put in book.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Bullet01Bullet01 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Very interesting concept. I totally agree with your issues with the current 7070... the coins that were included and those that were excluded... that said, I tried a Whitman Type Set of small denominations that included spaces for 18th Century Type... 1793 Chain Cent, 1796 Small Eagle Quarter... etc. .. virtual "unobtainium" for us mortal collectors... especially to put in book.

I decided to add the early draped bust series, minus the half dime. I feel they're still unobtainable in F-VF condition without paying a mortgage for it. I feel in that cobdition, you can find ones with good overall details for display purposes.

• csdotcsdot Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭

Cool idea. Would love to do one for $10 and $20 gold

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

--- I would suggest you re-title the thread and edit the original post. add that you would like suggestions via the thread and PM function for what should be in the album. some consensus might be arrived at with contributions from some "veterans" of the Hobby.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullet01...Welcome aboard....This is a very interesting project....and should be a great finished album.... That tool seems perfect for the task at hand. I look forward to watching your progress....and maybe the Dansco people will be quietly following as well... ;) Cheers, RickO

@Bullet01 said:

I decided to add the early draped bust series, minus the half dime. I feel they're still unobtainable in F-VF condition without paying a mortgage for it. I feel in that cobdition, you can find ones with good overall details for display purposes.

Are you going to include any of the Flowing Hair designs? I was thinking of finishing the 7070 and then doing a "Box of 20" including at least some of the 18th C type pieces...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great idea. I look forward to seeing the process.

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Great idea! Can you post a list of the coins you are planning on including?

@lkenefic said:

@Bullet01 said:

I decided to add the early draped bust series, minus the half dime. I feel they're still unobtainable in F-VF condition without paying a mortgage for it. I feel in that condition, you can find ones with good overall details for display purposes.

Are you going to include any of the Flowing Hair designs? I was thinking of finishing the 7070 and then doing a "Box of 20" including at least some of the 18th C type pieces...

The Flowing Hair designs are a little out of reach unless you're putting in very poor worn down examples. With my book, I want to include coins in EF, AU, or UNC condition so it will make a great display. I feel like like 18th century coins should be slabbed and graded instead. Especially in if its in decent high grade. That's just my personal preference though.

I see where you're coming from.... I came to the same general conclusion so the 7070 I'm putting together is mostly XF-AU pieces.... that said, the Classic Head Large Cent is still going to be a $2k coin if found problem free for the grade. It's also why I'll likely do separate 18th C type coins in VG-VF. I think it would detract from the other pieces if displayed side-by-side...

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very unique idea!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the final result. Good luck on your next steps.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

LOOKS GOOD, GREAT JOB

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭

How much for the blank pages and where did you get the cutting tool.

I made an updated page for mine, but using inner board worries me due to unknown chemicals in the paper.

I have been searching for shim punches that would fit, but they are a little pricey.

imageimage

• dan_marinellidan_marinelli Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

I like that you're including the no stars dime/half dime. Let us know if you're selling these when you're done!

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2019 1:48PM

An adjustable diameter hole cutter for a drill press might be more consistent for this kind of job.... Scaled plastic cutting heads are also available for hand drills.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullet01 said:
    Here's an idea of what I'm working on. I've been designing the new pages on Illustrator and every so often I edit and tweak the layouts for each page. I've been careful to get the exact measurements so everything can fit in a template with guidelines showing where the slides go.

The first page I have to my liking is the Cents. Added the "Young" Head Large cent and updated the Lincoln Cents.

What about the 4 2009 issues? Did you intentionally omit those?

@cameonut2011 said:

The 2009s will be on a Bicentennial page along with the Western Journeys.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of those hole cutters myself, from my experience using it you will have your hands full getting a consistent clean hole as those Danisco pages are thick. Good luck the illustrator model looks great, keep updating with your progress.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent. I truly like your idea. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a maybe... but... I had Tap Plastics make a holder as good as any Capital for some medals.

POSSIBLY.... they could work with thinner plastic which could be a ...bit... flexible and light enough to make "pages."

Or.... have at it. I don't envy your job.

I found the Whitman Type album satisfactory after the abbreviated Dansco.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great project, keep us updated :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2019 9:19AM

This is a really fascinating project. It might also create an enjoyable cottage business for custom type album pages. For example, the OP could collect orders, then take one weekend a month to cut and label album pages. The work would not have to be "cheap" but a fairly priced specialty item. Then there are albums for type coins in slabs....

Will be interesting to see how this works out!

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking project.
    Seems like your large cents are getting close to the edge of the plastic insert (I assume that's what the grey area represents). Maybe spread the pattern wider so you can shrink it vertically.

Collector, occasional seller

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullet01 said:

@cameonut2011 said:

The 2009s will be on a Bicentennial page along with the Western Journeys.

Good luck on your project - looks well thought-out. The comment about the 2009 issues got me thinking - has anyone ever arranged a type album by design era instead of denomination? That is - first page for liberty cap/flowing hair, then second page for draped bust, third for capped bust, then classic, seated, Barber... ?

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

No hole for the 1959 Wheat Back reverse cent? ;)

peacockcoins

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool idea!

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

No spot for a non VDB wheat cent?

@GaCoinGuy said:
    Now that I am on my computer and not my phone, here is a shot of the page I made.

I believe I will have to tweak the positioning a bit, and haven't worked out how to do slides. How were you able to get in touch with Dansco? I have looked everywhere for their contact information.

Very cool. I like the layout for the Western Journey Nickels. :) You have to look up "Dansco Corporation" on google. They're based out of Los Angeles and can only be contacted by phone. No web presence. I think they got one lady there taking care of all the business orders.

@MattTheRiley said:
    No spot for a non VDB wheat cent?

I find the VDB wheat and non VDB wheat redundant. I chose the 1909 only because it has it all.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your idea and your ambition. I look forward to seeing your progress and finished project. I would imagine that the hole cutting with that particular tool will be more difficult than anticipated and may not make the straight walled hole you are hoping for. If you have an old tired Dansco page available you might try a few test holes.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2019 9:56PM

Very impressed with your idea and your plans. I actually do think the hole cutting tool will work fine; although I imagine that cutting half way from one side and then finishing from the other side will be produce the cleanest looking holes. Just be sure to keep the blade super sharp. Keep us posted please.

Well I went ahead and cut out the first hole. I used a transparency print out so I can line everything up properly on the page. After the first go ahead I realized that the circle cutter I have is not up to par. Due to the thickness of the page, you get a slight bevel by time the blade makes it to the other side of the hole. Had to sand and shape everything out but still slightly small to fit my half cent (better than too big). Def don't want to be doing this for the next couple dozen holes. :s

I need a proper circular gasket cutter but they go for a min of $150. Allpax and McMaster-Carr is what I've seen. Going to check if I can rent these tools at a hardware store.

Current results.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting project. Might I suggest uploading images directly here rather than linking to imgur? The only reason is that imgur tends to be frequently blocked. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Its been a bit since an update. After trying different drill bits and gasket cutters.... none of them worked for me. I ended practicing on scrap album pages I got on ebay. After many trials and errors, I ended up going back to the original little circle cutter. I've managed to figure out a technique that ended up working well. The main key is to always have a fresh blade in because they get dull real quick and can ruin the look.

So far, I've completed the Half Cents section.

I have to patch the back page of the one half cent. That was the result of my first attempt with a dull blade :(

The practice page

Large Cent section coming up next!

Would a drill press with Forstner drill bit work? you might still have to shape the inside to fit, but it should alleviate the beveling... just a thought.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you are getting it figured out. Have you tried drilling a very very small center hole through the whole page, It must be square and small enough that your pivot pin will still hold tight, and then cut half way in from each side

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are places online that will laser cut cardboard to spec. Not too expensive. Send them an email about your project and maybe they can help. They take digital designs and can cut quickly and precisely. Also once you have the design you like it’s repeatable.

@lkenefic said:
    Would a drill press with Forstner drill bit work? you might still have to shape the inside to fit, but it should alleviate the beveling... just a thought.

Tried. Not all the sizes exist and would be super expensive. Got one for the penny (exactly 3/4in) but was a millimeter or so too wide.

@Batman23 said:
    Looks like you are getting it figured out. Have you tried drilling a very very small center hole through the whole page, It must be square and small enough that your pivot pin will still hold tight, and then cut half way in from each side

That's exactly what I do lol. But I use a sewing needle so the pivot hole doesn't get too big.

@scubafuel said:
    There are places online that will laser cut cardboard to spec. Not too expensive. Send them an email about your project and maybe they can help. They take digital designs and can cut quickly and precisely. Also once you have the design you like it’s repeatable.

Oh for real? Can you link any that you know of or recommend?

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

First I found google searching was ponoko.com but there seem to be a few. I’ve never used them so can’t recommend a particular place.
    Basically, any rotary tool will rip your project I think so you either need to go the exacto knife route, use a die of the correct diameter, or some sort of computer aided cutter. You could find a local shop with a laser cutter or try the online route.

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might see if you have a local makerspace. A lot of them have laser cutters available for use by the hour and instructors to show you how to use them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file